HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2012, 12:17 PM
  #126
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Oh man. So we know he'll get the media push (McGuire this year, Hartley last time around). I respect what Hartley did, going to Switzerland to get back into coaching, and what Vigneault did when he was fired, going to the AHL and working his way back up. This is the proper route if you're out of the game (I consider media work out of the game) for more than a year, IMO.
Hartley will be considered for the job.

habitue* is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 12:20 PM
  #127
larek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Roy as a GM would be a nightmare. Giving him a shot as coach is one thing, but few things scare me more than Roy managing the cap.
hyow would you kinow?
Gainey was good to so many when hired and look at what he did???
we have no clue waht a roy would be able to do as a GM- good or bad- certainly wouldnt be any worse than what habs have had the last several years- he cant be that bad no matter what

larek is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 12:22 PM
  #128
larek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
hyow would you kinow?
Gainey was good to so many when hired and look at what he did???
we have no clue waht a roy would be able to do as a GM- good or bad- certainly wouldnt be any worse than what habs have had the last several years- he cant be that bad no matter what
that should say god instead of good= not having edit is really stupid

larek is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 01:03 PM
  #129
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
hyow would you kinow?
Gainey was good to so many when hired and look at what he did???
we have no clue waht a roy would be able to do as a GM- good or bad- certainly wouldnt be any worse than what habs have had the last several years- he cant be that bad no matter what
Rejean Houle? Granted, Roy has a little bit more managerial experience, but don't make it sound as though there aren't inherent risks in upjumping a personality from the Q to the NHL in a managerial position.

The same reasoning behind Roy (connection to the team, business background elsewhere) is very, VERY similar to the reasoning that was applied to hiring Houle. Will it turn out the same? Who knows, but I will be rightfully nervous if he gets the keys to the kingdom.

ALL the top GMs in the league right now have cut their teeth working there way up the managerial ladder. You don't just crown a guy. You find the guy with the right vision, the right drive and the desire to create his own legacy at the right time and go from there.

Captain Smurf is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 01:40 PM
  #130
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Rejean Houle? Granted, Roy has a little bit more managerial experience, but don't make it sound as though there aren't inherent risks in upjumping a personality from the Q to the NHL in a managerial position.

The same reasoning behind Roy (connection to the team, business background elsewhere) is very, VERY similar to the reasoning that was applied to hiring Houle. Will it turn out the same? Who knows, but I will be rightfully nervous if he gets the keys to the kingdom.

ALL the top GMs in the league right now have cut their teeth working there way up the managerial ladder. You don't just crown a guy. You find the guy with the right vision, the right drive and the desire to create his own legacy at the right time and go from there.
A 'little bit more' experience?

I mean, I get that he's only been in the Q, but he's got a lot more under his belt than Houle was ever close to having when he got the job.

Roy, at least, has shown he can be very persuasive (Esposito, Radulov, Bashkirov bros, etc.) and has built an organization with an amazing reputation (Grigs' agent told him that if he wanted to play in the CHL, THE BEST place to go is Québec).

And I don't even want Roy as a GM.

Em Ancien is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 01:49 PM
  #131
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,849
vCash: 500
I'm still wondering if they'd give Timmins the job. He's been great for us as a scout. If we're going to hire somebody with no NHL experience, he'd be the guy I'd want. Pollock was a great scout before he became GM. Timmins has watched as others have dealt away his picks... why not put him in charge and see what he can do?

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 01:52 PM
  #132
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
A 'little bit more' experience?

I mean, I get that he's only been in the Q, but he's got a lot more under his belt than Houle was ever close to having when he got the job.

Roy, at least, has shown he can be very persuasive (Esposito, Radulov, Bashkirov bros, etc.) and has built an organization with an amazing reputation (Grigs' agent told him that if he wanted to play in the CHL, THE BEST place to go is Québec).

And I don't even want Roy as a GM.
I don't think that Roy would be as bad as Houle, but successful organizational structures in the NHL and CHL are very different. Roy has demonstrated skill as a recruiter, but does that translate to signing UFAs at an affordable rate? Especially with cap implications? Maintaining a successful franchise in the NHL is a whole different beast. Success even has a different definition in the NHL and CHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I'm still wondering if they'd give Timmins the job. He's been great for us as a scout. If we're going to hire somebody with no NHL experience, he'd be the guy I'd want. Pollock was a great scout before he became GM. Timmins has watched as others have dealt away his picks... why not put him in charge and see what he can do?
Again, while I think its best for the organization to keep him where he is, I'd prefer him over a Roy, or *pffh* Damphousse.


Last edited by Captain Smurf: 03-07-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Captain Smurf is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 04:19 PM
  #133
HABsurde
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,400
vCash: 500
Ihad a dream last night

Season end on april 8th

On april 10th Pierre Gauthier, the sneaky weasel fires Randy Cunneyworth and Randy Ladouceur on the influence of Larry Carrière, is great buddy, reporting everything from the dressing room

Then in is press conference with a smiling Geoff Molson, who reiterates is confidence in PG. Pierre admits the mistake of hiring a unilingual anglophone at the helm of the Habs, but after many discussions with mr Molson and other brass, he found the perfect coach for the organisation, a coach with experience, with a winning record in the NHL, well connected about the realities of Montreal and the Habs organisation and who does speak french...

He was hard to convince because he was enjoying is time away from the rink but for the right money and the feeling he would have the entire organisation support. He accepted to come back behind the bench of the Montreal Canadiens.

C'est avec un immense plaisir, it's with great pleasure that i introduce our new coach, hs has been in this seat before with our team and we are glad he's back

Mesdames et monsieur le nouvel entraineur des Canadiens de Montréal, Ladies and gentleman, the new head coach of the Montreal Canadiens...............

Monsieur Bob Gainey!!!!

i swear, i woke up sweating and shaking....

HABsurde is offline  
Old
03-07-2012, 04:22 PM
  #134
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,054
vCash: 500
My life has been changed forever.

Andy is online now  
Old
03-08-2012, 01:18 AM
  #135
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,905
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
Season end on april 8th

On april 10th Pierre Gauthier, the sneaky weasel fires Randy Cunneyworth and Randy Ladouceur on the influence of Larry Carrière, is great buddy, reporting everything from the dressing room

Then in is press conference with a smiling Geoff Molson, who reiterates is confidence in PG. Pierre admits the mistake of hiring a unilingual anglophone at the helm of the Habs, but after many discussions with mr Molson and other brass, he found the perfect coach for the organisation, a coach with experience, with a winning record in the NHL, well connected about the realities of Montreal and the Habs organisation and who does speak french...

He was hard to convince because he was enjoying is time away from the rink but for the right money and the feeling he would have the entire organisation support. He accepted to come back behind the bench of the Montreal Canadiens.

C'est avec un immense plaisir, it's with great pleasure that i introduce our new coach, hs has been in this seat before with our team and we are glad he's back

Mesdames et monsieur le nouvel entraineur des Canadiens de Montréal, Ladies and gentleman, the new head coach of the Montreal Canadiens...............

Monsieur Bob Gainey!!!!

i swear, i woke up sweating and shaking....
that's terrifying...

MasterDecoy is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 02:17 AM
  #136
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I'm still wondering if they'd give Timmins the job. He's been great for us as a scout. If we're going to hire somebody with no NHL experience, he'd be the guy I'd want. Pollock was a great scout before he became GM. Timmins has watched as others have dealt away his picks... why not put him in charge and see what he can do?
Who's gonna be head scout and head of development then? We just don't have the personnel to promote from within. Timmins is where he has to be right now.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 02:26 AM
  #137
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,905
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Who's gonna be head scout and head of development then? We just don't have the personnel to promote from within. Timmins is where he has to be right now.
he can always get an assistant GM and still oversee part of his old responsibilities if that's the case.

i don't see it as a problem to quite honest.

MasterDecoy is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 02:28 AM
  #138
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,312
vCash: 500
He's already doing too much covering scouting and development. Yes it happens in organizations but to add even more to it with asst. GM is ridiculous.

I wouldn't be opposed to him as GM. I'm just worried about his replacement.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 02:38 AM
  #139
GoHomez
Registered User
 
GoHomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 8 km from the Globe
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
He's already doing too much covering scouting and development. Yes it happens in organizations but to add even more to it with asst. GM is ridiculous.

I wouldn't be opposed to him as GM. I'm just worried about his replacement.
Yeah, I'd hesitate messing with one of the few things that has actually worked well the last couple of seasons. On the other hand, I am all for giving him a bigger role.
Can we clone him?

GoHomez is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 09:34 AM
  #140
glenn77
Registered User
 
glenn77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
Has there been any actual speculation or rumblings coming out of the Habs camp as to who is a possiblilty as a coach?

glenn77 is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 09:51 AM
  #141
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Who's gonna be head scout and head of development then? We just don't have the personnel to promote from within. Timmins is where he has to be right now.
Frank Jay could possibly take over, he's worked with Timmins for a number of years and the final decisions would still be Timmins' call.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now  
Old
03-08-2012, 09:54 AM
  #142
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Who's gonna be head scout and head of development then? We just don't have the personnel to promote from within. Timmins is where he has to be right now.
I'm sure the club asked this question when Pollock took over as GM too. I don't feel that's a good enough reason not to take him for the job. IF Timmins is ready for the GM job (and I don't know, I'm not a hockey insider) then I think he deserves a shot. He's been stellar for us as a scout and scouts have been shown to make good GMs. If he's not good at some of the other parts of the job (say contract negotiations) he can hire an assistant and designate that responsibility to somebody else.

I don't know Timmins all that well and I won't lobby too hard for him. I just like the idea of him taking over because I know he's been successful in his role. People who are successful tend to find success in most things they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
Yeah, I'd hesitate messing with one of the few things that has actually worked well the last couple of seasons. On the other hand, I am all for giving him a bigger role.
Can we clone him?
He can still take an active role in scouting.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 10:07 AM
  #143
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I'm sure the club asked this question when Pollock took over as GM too. I don't feel that's a good enough reason not to take him for the job. IF Timmins is ready for the GM job (and I don't know, I'm not a hockey insider) then I think he deserves a shot. He's been stellar for us as a scout and scouts have been shown to make good GMs. If he's not good at some of the other parts of the job (say contract negotiations) he can hire an assistant and designate that responsibility to somebody else.
Maybe some scouts have, but generalizing like that is really dangerous.

Craig Button was a horrible GM. He couldn't even figure out he had a superstar and potential HoFer playing for him.

Em Ancien is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 10:08 AM
  #144
rockjngo
Registered User
 
rockjngo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,184
vCash: 500
We need a GM who have the guts to make big moves. Someone like Sam Pollock. Over the years our GMs are always conservative or stupid. Giving away players and not making the big move. Gauthier does not have connection around the league so he keep trading with the same team over and over. We need an outgoing GM who is friends with everyone and not hated (like Brian Burke).

My vote goes to Julien Brisebois as GM. The guy is familiar with our team having spent 8 years as a consultant. He was in charge of the cap/salaries for the team. Habs want to keep things in the family so Brisebois is family. He knows the players and has connection.

Another guy who has connection is Pierre Mcguire. I know many of you hate him because he has a big mouth, but he has more connection than any current GM combine. He knows every prospects and is ready for GM duty. Aside from not wanting to pick Carey Price, he admitted that it was his mistake. He made up for it and he loves Carey Price and has been promoting Price over the years. If Mcguire is GM I assure you that Carey Price will remain a career Hab. PM might give Price 10 year deal.

I'm saying we need GM with vision and not afraid to speak to the media (like Mcguire). GM with connections. Gauthier is neither active or have any connections. Goat has no vision.

As for coach, a coach is only good with what he's given.

rockjngo is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 10:11 AM
  #145
old scotia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
If the habs are ever going to win the cup again they better hire Patrick Roy. I'd even so much to give him gm and coach jobs, not likely, but if he's coach they better have a gm that he can work with.
Patrick Roy or bust!

old scotia is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 10:26 AM
  #146
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I'm still wondering if they'd give Timmins the job. He's been great for us as a scout. If we're going to hire somebody with no NHL experience, he'd be the guy I'd want. Pollock was a great scout before he became GM. Timmins has watched as others have dealt away his picks... why not put him in charge and see what he can do?
Exactly. I've said this in the past. Montreal cannot be successful until it becomes development focused and who better to take the team in that direction than Trevor.

He'd earn instant respect from fans and media too. Lots of upside.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 10:32 AM
  #147
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Exactly. I've said this in the past. Montreal cannot be successful until it becomes development focused and who better to take the team in that direction than Trevor.

He'd earn instant respect from fans and media too. Lots of upside.
The thing I'd like about Timmins is he wouldn't throw away 2nd round picks just to sneak into the playoffs as he knows the importance and value of draft picks, he'd look at the long-term as well as short-term.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now  
Old
03-08-2012, 10:34 AM
  #148
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,650
vCash: 500
Would be fun to see Timmins compete with Burke to see who can have the most Americans playing for them.

Et le But is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 10:44 AM
  #149
Hugo Sham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,116
vCash: 500
the habs are going to have their worst season in what? 65-70 years? how vegan skeletor survives this will be 'interesting'

Hugo Sham is offline  
Old
03-08-2012, 10:51 AM
  #150
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Would be fun to see Timmins compete with Burke to see who can have the most Americans playing for them.
Timmins actually speaks french and Burke was born in RI and Timmins in Ont.
It makes no sense what you wrote.

PunkinDrublic* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.