HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2012, 12:17 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Oh man. So we know he'll get the media push (McGuire this year, Hartley last time around). I respect what Hartley did, going to Switzerland to get back into coaching, and what Vigneault did when he was fired, going to the AHL and working his way back up. This is the proper route if you're out of the game (I consider media work out of the game) for more than a year, IMO.
Hartley will be considered for the job.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:20 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Roy as a GM would be a nightmare. Giving him a shot as coach is one thing, but few things scare me more than Roy managing the cap.
hyow would you kinow?
Gainey was good to so many when hired and look at what he did???
we have no clue waht a roy would be able to do as a GM- good or bad- certainly wouldnt be any worse than what habs have had the last several years- he cant be that bad no matter what

Old
03-07-2012, 12:22 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
hyow would you kinow?
we have no clue waht a roy would be able to do as a GM- good or bad- certainly wouldnt be any worse than what habs have had the last several years- he cant be that bad no matter what
that should say god instead of good= not having edit is really stupid

Old
03-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
hyow would you kinow?
Rejean Houle? Granted, Roy has a little bit more managerial experience, but don't make it sound as though there aren't inherent risks in upjumping a personality from the Q to the NHL in a managerial position.

The same reasoning behind Roy (connection to the team, business background elsewhere) is very, VERY similar to the reasoning that was applied to hiring Houle. Will it turn out the same? Who knows, but I will be rightfully nervous if he gets the keys to the kingdom.

ALL the top GMs in the league right now have cut their teeth working there way up the managerial ladder. You don't just crown a guy. You find the guy with the right vision, the right drive and the desire to create his own legacy at the right time and go from there.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Rejean Houle? Granted, Roy has a little bit more managerial experience, but don't make it sound as though there aren't inherent risks in upjumping a personality from the Q to the NHL in a managerial position.

The same reasoning behind Roy (connection to the team, business background elsewhere) is very, VERY similar to the reasoning that was applied to hiring Houle. Will it turn out the same? Who knows, but I will be rightfully nervous if he gets the keys to the kingdom.

ALL the top GMs in the league right now have cut their teeth working there way up the managerial ladder. You don't just crown a guy. You find the guy with the right vision, the right drive and the desire to create his own legacy at the right time and go from there.
A 'little bit more' experience?

I mean, I get that he's only been in the Q, but he's got a lot more under his belt than Houle was ever close to having when he got the job.

Roy, at least, has shown he can be very persuasive (Esposito, Radulov, Bashkirov bros, etc.) and has built an organization with an amazing reputation (Grigs' agent told him that if he wanted to play in the CHL, THE BEST place to go is Québec).

And I don't even want Roy as a GM.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I'm still wondering if they'd give Timmins the job. He's been great for us as a scout. If we're going to hire somebody with no NHL experience, he'd be the guy I'd want. Pollock was a great scout before he became GM. Timmins has watched as others have dealt away his picks... why not put him in charge and see what he can do?

Old
03-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
A 'little bit more' experience?

I mean, I get that he's only been in the Q, but he's got a lot more under his belt than Houle was ever close to having when he got the job.

Roy, at least, has shown he can be very persuasive (Esposito, Radulov, Bashkirov bros, etc.) and has built an organization with an amazing reputation (Grigs' agent told him that if he wanted to play in the CHL, THE BEST place to go is Québec).

And I don't even want Roy as a GM.
I don't think that Roy would be as bad as Houle, but successful organizational structures in the NHL and CHL are very different. Roy has demonstrated skill as a recruiter, but does that translate to signing UFAs at an affordable rate? Especially with cap implications? Maintaining a successful franchise in the NHL is a whole different beast. Success even has a different definition in the NHL and CHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I'm still wondering if they'd give Timmins the job. He's been great for us as a scout. If we're going to hire somebody with no NHL experience, he'd be the guy I'd want. Pollock was a great scout before he became GM. Timmins has watched as others have dealt away his picks... why not put him in charge and see what he can do?
Again, while I think its best for the organization to keep him where he is, I'd prefer him over a Roy, or *pffh* Damphousse.

Last edited by Captain Smurf: 03-07-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old
03-07-2012, 04:19 PM
HABsurde

Ihad a dream last night

Season end on april 8th

On april 10th Pierre Gauthier, the sneaky weasel fires Randy Cunneyworth and Randy Ladouceur on the influence of Larry Carrière, is great buddy, reporting everything from the dressing room

Then in is press conference with a smiling Geoff Molson, who reiterates is confidence in PG. Pierre admits the mistake of hiring a unilingual anglophone at the helm of the Habs, but after many discussions with mr Molson and other brass, he found the perfect coach for the organisation, a coach with experience, with a winning record in the NHL, well connected about the realities of Montreal and the Habs organisation and who does speak french...

He was hard to convince because he was enjoying is time away from the rink but for the right money and the feeling he would have the entire organisation support. He accepted to come back behind the bench of the Montreal Canadiens.

C'est avec un immense plaisir, it's with great pleasure that i introduce our new coach, hs has been in this seat before with our team and we are glad he's back

Mesdames et monsieur le nouvel entraineur des Canadiens de Montréal, Ladies and gentleman, the new head coach of the Montreal Canadiens...............

Monsieur Bob Gainey!!!!

i swear, i woke up sweating and shaking....

Old
03-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Andy

My life has been changed forever.

Old
03-08-2012, 01:18 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
Season end on april 8th

On april 10th Pierre Gauthier, the sneaky weasel fires Randy Cunneyworth and Randy Ladouceur on the influence of Larry Carrière, is great buddy, reporting everything from the dressing room

Then in is press conference with a smiling Geoff Molson, who reiterates is confidence in PG. Pierre admits the mistake of hiring a unilingual anglophone at the helm of the Habs, but after many discussions with mr Molson and other brass, he found the perfect coach for the organisation, a coach with experience, with a winning record in the NHL, well connected about the realities of Montreal and the Habs organisation and who does speak french...

He was hard to convince because he was enjoying is time away from the rink but for the right money and the feeling he would have the entire organisation support. He accepted to come back behind the bench of the Montreal Canadiens.

C'est avec un immense plaisir, it's with great pleasure that i introduce our new coach, hs has been in this seat before with our team and we are glad he's back

Mesdames et monsieur le nouvel entraineur des Canadiens de Montréal, Ladies and gentleman, the new head coach of the Montreal Canadiens...............

Monsieur Bob Gainey!!!!

i swear, i woke up sweating and shaking....
that's terrifying...

Old
03-08-2012, 02:17 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Who's gonna be head scout and head of development then? We just don't have the personnel to promote from within. Timmins is where he has to be right now.

Old
03-08-2012, 02:26 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Who's gonna be head scout and head of development then? We just don't have the personnel to promote from within. Timmins is where he has to be right now.
he can always get an assistant GM and still oversee part of his old responsibilities if that's the case.

i don't see it as a problem to quite honest.

Old
03-08-2012, 02:28 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

He's already doing too much covering scouting and development. Yes it happens in organizations but to add even more to it with asst. GM is ridiculous.

I wouldn't be opposed to him as GM. I'm just worried about his replacement.

Old
03-08-2012, 02:38 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
He's already doing too much covering scouting and development. Yes it happens in organizations but to add even more to it with asst. GM is ridiculous.

I wouldn't be opposed to him as GM. I'm just worried about his replacement.
Yeah, I'd hesitate messing with one of the few things that has actually worked well the last couple of seasons. On the other hand, I am all for giving him a bigger role.
Can we clone him?

Old
03-08-2012, 09:34 AM
glenn77

Has there been any actual speculation or rumblings coming out of the Habs camp as to who is a possiblilty as a coach?

Old
03-08-2012, 09:51 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Frank Jay could possibly take over, he's worked with Timmins for a number of years and the final decisions would still be Timmins' call.

Old
03-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I'm sure the club asked this question when Pollock took over as GM too. I don't feel that's a good enough reason not to take him for the job. IF Timmins is ready for the GM job (and I don't know, I'm not a hockey insider) then I think he deserves a shot. He's been stellar for us as a scout and scouts have been shown to make good GMs. If he's not good at some of the other parts of the job (say contract negotiations) he can hire an assistant and designate that responsibility to somebody else.

I don't know Timmins all that well and I won't lobby too hard for him. I just like the idea of him taking over because I know he's been successful in his role. People who are successful tend to find success in most things they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
Yeah, I'd hesitate messing with one of the few things that has actually worked well the last couple of seasons. On the other hand, I am all for giving him a bigger role.
Can we clone him?
He can still take an active role in scouting.

Old
03-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
I'm sure the club asked this question when Pollock took over as GM too. I don't feel that's a good enough reason not to take him for the job. IF Timmins is ready for the GM job (and I don't know, I'm not a hockey insider) then I think he deserves a shot. He's been stellar for us as a scout and scouts have been shown to make good GMs. If he's not good at some of the other parts of the job (say contract negotiations) he can hire an assistant and designate that responsibility to somebody else.
Maybe some scouts have, but generalizing like that is really dangerous.

Craig Button was a horrible GM. He couldn't even figure out he had a superstar and potential HoFer playing for him.

Old
03-08-2012, 10:08 AM
rockjngo

We need a GM who have the guts to make big moves. Someone like Sam Pollock. Over the years our GMs are always conservative or stupid. Giving away players and not making the big move. Gauthier does not have connection around the league so he keep trading with the same team over and over. We need an outgoing GM who is friends with everyone and not hated (like Brian Burke).

My vote goes to Julien Brisebois as GM. The guy is familiar with our team having spent 8 years as a consultant. He was in charge of the cap/salaries for the team. Habs want to keep things in the family so Brisebois is family. He knows the players and has connection.

Another guy who has connection is Pierre Mcguire. I know many of you hate him because he has a big mouth, but he has more connection than any current GM combine. He knows every prospects and is ready for GM duty. Aside from not wanting to pick Carey Price, he admitted that it was his mistake. He made up for it and he loves Carey Price and has been promoting Price over the years. If Mcguire is GM I assure you that Carey Price will remain a career Hab. PM might give Price 10 year deal.

I'm saying we need GM with vision and not afraid to speak to the media (like Mcguire). GM with connections. Gauthier is neither active or have any connections. Goat has no vision.

As for coach, a coach is only good with what he's given.

Old
03-08-2012, 10:11 AM
old scotia

If the habs are ever going to win the cup again they better hire Patrick Roy. I'd even so much to give him gm and coach jobs, not likely, but if he's coach they better have a gm that he can work with.
Patrick Roy or bust!

Old
03-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Exactly. I've said this in the past. Montreal cannot be successful until it becomes development focused and who better to take the team in that direction than Trevor.

He'd earn instant respect from fans and media too. Lots of upside.

Old
03-08-2012, 10:32 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Exactly. I've said this in the past. Montreal cannot be successful until it becomes development focused and who better to take the team in that direction than Trevor.

He'd earn instant respect from fans and media too. Lots of upside.
The thing I'd like about Timmins is he wouldn't throw away 2nd round picks just to sneak into the playoffs as he knows the importance and value of draft picks, he'd look at the long-term as well as short-term.

Old
03-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Et le But

Would be fun to see Timmins compete with Burke to see who can have the most Americans playing for them.

Old
03-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Hugo Sham

the habs are going to have their worst season in what? 65-70 years? how vegan skeletor survives this will be 'interesting'

Old
03-08-2012, 10:51 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Would be fun to see Timmins compete with Burke to see who can have the most Americans playing for them.
Timmins actually speaks french and Burke was born in RI and Timmins in Ont.
It makes no sense what you wrote.

Closed Thread