HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Visiting NYC in March - where to stay?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2012, 10:54 AM
  #1
Foppa Frossa
Registered User
 
Foppa Frossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,415
vCash: 50
Visiting NYC in March - where to stay?

Pardon the interruption to the trade deadline talks =)

My g/f and I are visiting the city (for our first time) in the middle of March. We'll be flying in and out of JFK. Since we are unfamiliar with the area, we are looking for general areas to stay in as far as hotels are concerned. We want to be fairly close to everything, but don't want to pay a big price premium. We'll probably be looking at hotels in the three-star range. Access to the subway is important as it will most likely be our primary method of getting around. If it is a 15 minute subway ride to get to the touristy things, that's no big deal. We'll probably want to go to Central Park, Times Square, etc. etc. We'll be there for a total of three days, and I understand there is some kind of metro pass you can get for subway transportation?

Thanks for any help guys!

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:59 AM
  #2
Mkhizgilov
Registered User
 
Mkhizgilov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
Brooklyn - Ocean Parkway

Yeaaaaaa boi

Come on sather do something before I shoot myself of boredom in classs

Mkhizgilov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:25 AM
  #3
mahonistan*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by en_snabb_svensk View Post
Pardon the interruption to the trade deadline talks =)

My g/f and I are visiting the city (for our first time) in the middle of March. We'll be flying in and out of JFK. Since we are unfamiliar with the area, we are looking for general areas to stay in as far as hotels are concerned. We want to be fairly close to everything, but don't want to pay a big price premium. We'll probably be looking at hotels in the three-star range. Access to the subway is important as it will most likely be our primary method of getting around. If it is a 15 minute subway ride to get to the touristy things, that's no big deal. We'll probably want to go to Central Park, Times Square, etc. etc. We'll be there for a total of three days, and I understand there is some kind of metro pass you can get for subway transportation?

Thanks for any help guys!
Soho, Downtown, Chelsea, and Midtown is where I'd suggest for a tourist that doesn't know the city. The cheaper the hotel, the sketchier the area which can be intimidating for a tourist (I personally haven't had a problem. Don't stay above 100th street (just because there isn't anything up there and that really isn't a great area for tourists.)

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:27 AM
  #4
mahonistan*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
Soho, Downtown, Chelsea, and Midtown is where I'd suggest for a tourist that doesn't know the city. The cheaper the hotel, the sketchier the area which can be intimidating for a tourist (I personally haven't had a problem. Don't stay above 100th street (just because there isn't anything up there and that really isn't a great area for tourists.)
I've live in New York off and on my entire life, as I'm sure a bunch of posters here have also. They might know some hotel gems. That I don't though.

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:16 PM
  #5
shelaur22
Registered User
 
shelaur22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Yotel. http://www.yotel.com/Hotels/New-York-City Friends of mine just stayed there and raved about it.

shelaur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:16 PM
  #6
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by en_snabb_svensk View Post
We want to be fairly close to everything, but don't want to pay a big price premium..... I understand there is some kind of metro pass you can get for subway transportation?

Thanks for any help guys!
If you want to be close to everything, you are going to pay a premium. There are a few hotels around MSG, but not sure on the price. I would check hotels.com and other travel sites for ideas.

As far as the subway, it is called a metro card. I don't think they have a 3-day pass, but they do have the "fun pass" which is good for 1 day. Probably cheaper to buy that for 3 days than to buy a weekly pass.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:28 PM
  #7
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,365
vCash: 566
Once you're in Manhattan you're going to get pricey ($200+ a night minimum) That said you just have to bite the bullet and accept that it comes with the territory, welcome to NY. I would recommend staying mid-town. You're central to everything at that point and between your travel hubs of Grand Central Terminal and Penn Station. If you want, pick a place that is near one of those. This way you can just hop on a subway and zip anywhere in the city you need to.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:31 PM
  #8
ZacUSNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Upstate, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
If you want to be close to everything, you are going to pay a premium. There are a few hotels around MSG, but not sure on the price. I would check hotels.com and other travel sites for ideas.

As far as the subway, it is called a metro card. I don't think they have a 3-day pass, but they do have the "fun pass" which is good for 1 day. Probably cheaper to buy that for 3 days than to buy a weekly pass.
The killed the fun pass awhile back.... Really was decent, was like $7 for unlimited rides. You'll need to charge a metro.

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:39 PM
  #9
bmw2004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Deleted

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:55 PM
  #10
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,487
vCash: 500
Check out trip advisor, best site for hotel reviews and such.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g6...rk-Hotels.html

Also, this is the general NYC thread (it's stickied):
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=930787

This thread will probably be locked soon, so just giving you a heads up.


Last edited by WhipNash27: 02-27-2012 at 01:13 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 01:32 PM
  #11
Iron Balls McGinty
Registered User
 
Iron Balls McGinty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sec. 203/Worthington
Country: United States
Posts: 1,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Once you're in Manhattan you're going to get pricey ($200+ a night minimum) That said you just have to bite the bullet and accept that it comes with the territory, welcome to NY. I would recommend staying mid-town. You're central to everything at that point and between your travel hubs of Grand Central Terminal and Penn Station. If you want, pick a place that is near one of those. This way you can just hop on a subway and zip anywhere in the city you need to.
I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott on 40th a couple of weeks ago and have no complaints whatsoever. Subway entrance right on the corner. Close proximity to MSG and was quite easy to deal with public transportation to the Prudential Center and Nassau Coliseum as well.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.