HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Visiting NYC in March - where to stay?

Old
02-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Foppa Frossa

vCash: 50
Visiting NYC in March - where to stay?

Pardon the interruption to the trade deadline talks =)

My g/f and I are visiting the city (for our first time) in the middle of March. We'll be flying in and out of JFK. Since we are unfamiliar with the area, we are looking for general areas to stay in as far as hotels are concerned. We want to be fairly close to everything, but don't want to pay a big price premium. We'll probably be looking at hotels in the three-star range. Access to the subway is important as it will most likely be our primary method of getting around. If it is a 15 minute subway ride to get to the touristy things, that's no big deal. We'll probably want to go to Central Park, Times Square, etc. etc. We'll be there for a total of three days, and I understand there is some kind of metro pass you can get for subway transportation?

Thanks for any help guys!

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Mkhizgilov

vCash: 500
Brooklyn - Ocean Parkway

Yeaaaaaa boi

Come on sather do something before I shoot myself of boredom in classs

Mkhizgilov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:25 AM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by en_snabb_svensk View Post
Pardon the interruption to the trade deadline talks =)

My g/f and I are visiting the city (for our first time) in the middle of March. We'll be flying in and out of JFK. Since we are unfamiliar with the area, we are looking for general areas to stay in as far as hotels are concerned. We want to be fairly close to everything, but don't want to pay a big price premium. We'll probably be looking at hotels in the three-star range. Access to the subway is important as it will most likely be our primary method of getting around. If it is a 15 minute subway ride to get to the touristy things, that's no big deal. We'll probably want to go to Central Park, Times Square, etc. etc. We'll be there for a total of three days, and I understand there is some kind of metro pass you can get for subway transportation?

Soho, Downtown, Chelsea, and Midtown is where I'd suggest for a tourist that doesn't know the city. The cheaper the hotel, the sketchier the area which can be intimidating for a tourist (I personally haven't had a problem. Don't stay above 100th street (just because there isn't anything up there and that really isn't a great area for tourists.)

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:27 AM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
Soho, Downtown, Chelsea, and Midtown is where I'd suggest for a tourist that doesn't know the city. The cheaper the hotel, the sketchier the area which can be intimidating for a tourist (I personally haven't had a problem. Don't stay above 100th street (just because there isn't anything up there and that really isn't a great area for tourists.)
I've live in New York off and on my entire life, as I'm sure a bunch of posters here have also. They might know some hotel gems. That I don't though.

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:16 PM
shelaur22

Yotel. http://www.yotel.com/Hotels/New-York-City Friends of mine just stayed there and raved about it.

shelaur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:16 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by en_snabb_svensk View Post
We want to be fairly close to everything, but don't want to pay a big price premium..... I understand there is some kind of metro pass you can get for subway transportation?

If you want to be close to everything, you are going to pay a premium. There are a few hotels around MSG, but not sure on the price. I would check hotels.com and other travel sites for ideas.

As far as the subway, it is called a metro card. I don't think they have a 3-day pass, but they do have the "fun pass" which is good for 1 day. Probably cheaper to buy that for 3 days than to buy a weekly pass.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:28 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Once you're in Manhattan you're going to get pricey ($200+ a night minimum) That said you just have to bite the bullet and accept that it comes with the territory, welcome to NY. I would recommend staying mid-town. You're central to everything at that point and between your travel hubs of Grand Central Terminal and Penn Station. If you want, pick a place that is near one of those. This way you can just hop on a subway and zip anywhere in the city you need to.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:31 PM
ZacUSNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
If you want to be close to everything, you are going to pay a premium. There are a few hotels around MSG, but not sure on the price. I would check hotels.com and other travel sites for ideas.

As far as the subway, it is called a metro card. I don't think they have a 3-day pass, but they do have the "fun pass" which is good for 1 day. Probably cheaper to buy that for 3 days than to buy a weekly pass.
The killed the fun pass awhile back.... Really was decent, was like $7 for unlimited rides. You'll need to charge a metro.

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:39 PM
bmw2004

Deleted

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:55 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Check out trip advisor, best site for hotel reviews and such.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g6...rk-Hotels.html

Also, this is the general NYC thread (it's stickied):
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=930787

This thread will probably be locked soon, so just giving you a heads up.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 02-27-2012 at 01:13 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Once you're in Manhattan you're going to get pricey ($200+ a night minimum) That said you just have to bite the bullet and accept that it comes with the territory, welcome to NY. I would recommend staying mid-town. You're central to everything at that point and between your travel hubs of Grand Central Terminal and Penn Station. If you want, pick a place that is near one of those. This way you can just hop on a subway and zip anywhere in the city you need to.
I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott on 40th a couple of weeks ago and have no complaints whatsoever. Subway entrance right on the corner. Close proximity to MSG and was quite easy to deal with public transportation to the Prudential Center and Nassau Coliseum as well.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote