HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Blues - Leafs

Old
02-26-2012, 09:52 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHockeySanctuary View Post
Really? Halak is = to Kessel?

Halak is the Blues starting goalie. Going into the playoffs he will be the starter. A playoff team trading their starting goalie makes as much sense as the Leafs trading Kessel.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 09:55 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHockeySanctuary View Post
Really? Halak is = to Kessel?

Yep, excluding October he has had a 93.8 sv%, he has a 1.96 gaa for the season, averages a shutout every 5.6667 games, and is the starter on a cup contender.

BTW, that is the definition of not being traded.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Leafs03

vCash: 500
LOL... Any Leafs fans who say no to this proposal is a .....!!!! this would be a steal for the leafs.

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan2342 View Post
Because Stewart is really equivalent to Kessel right?
Nope, but if you didn't notice the proposal it said Stewart AND Halak. I would certainly say Stewart and Halak >= Kessel.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 11:47 PM
BDEuph
Hotty Toddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
Only because I realized he was being serious. Then it just felt awkward
and I thought Blues fans on the Asylum drank too much of their blue kool aid. Methinks the Maple Leaf blue kool-aid contains more that maple leaf.

BDEuph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 12:51 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacheesh View Post
Nope, but if you didn't notice the proposal it said Stewart AND Halak. I would certainly say Stewart and Halak >= Kessel.
3rd in goals, 6th in points, but apparently not worth Halak + Stewart. Thanks for the laugh HF.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 01:21 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
3rd in goals, 6th in points, but apparently not worth Halak + Stewart. Thanks for the laugh HF.
4th in GAA, 9th in Save Pct, 3rd in SO's, but I'm sure Leaf fans have forgotten what it's like to have an NHL calibre goalie these days.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 02:03 AM
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity

Ridiculous proposal. I can see why the Leafs would do the trade but how does this deal benefit the Blues?

Canadiens Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 02:05 AM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwice View Post
takeout the goalies and you have a deal. doubt the blues do it though
Reimer > Halak???

Yeah15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 02:36 AM
FilthyNote*

I almost cried when I realized this thread actually existed.

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 02:46 AM
JAK

Why exactly does the Blues want to downgrade both position?

JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:31 AM
SteenMachine

So troll thread?

Lemme know when Lupul doesn't end up exactly like Kulemin... omfg 30 goal scorer he's worth more than your 5 best players and you don't even realize it!!!

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:02 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
So troll thread?

Lemme know when Lupul doesn't end up exactly like Kulemin... omfg 30 goal scorer he's worth more than your 5 best players and you don't even realize it!!!
i know this is a messed up proposal...but lupul has always had top line talent since his draft day. He was only weak in his defense and skating if I recall correctly, which is still there as he isn't strong on defense but his skating has improved from the past. He's been a proven scorer in a good-talented team, only place he actually failed was with the oilers(no disrespect to them) but at the time they were sorta out of it and he didn't mesh with it at all ending up on the third line.

Kulemin was always a 2nd-3rd line potential player, he really struck gold last year but this year, providing stellar 200 feet game, his offense has just been missing and damn unlucky, it's very likely due to a mental block or something. So those two players aren't comparable.

02-27-2012, 05:07 AM
htpwn

Quote:
4th in GAA, 9th in Save Pct, 3rd in SO's, but I'm sure Leaf fans have forgotten what it's like to have an NHL calibre goalie these days.
I never said Halak was a bad goalie, merely that your valuation was laughable. The Blues acquired him in 2010 for Lars Eller and Ian Schultz and now you think he's worth a player who is currently 3rd in NHL goal scoring and has 4 consecutive 30-goal seasons to his name? Please.

Quote:
So troll thread?

How's Stewart doing these days?

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:01 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Goalies don't hold that kind of value, anyone will tell you that.

Starting goalies are rarely traded, and never fetch half of what people think.

Do you forget what the Blues gave up for Halak? A decent prospect in Eller, and a scrub prospect..... All for the guy who single handedly won two playoff series' in Montreal?

The Blues aren't trading Halak, but if they did I'm sure you'd be dissapointed with the return.

But hey, continue with your unwarrented and very childish condescention because someone disagrees with you...BIG MAN.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:18 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Goalies clearly have a bigger impact on team's success than scorers do. Look at Toronto and St. Louis; Toronto has a big scorer, but no goalie and are out of the playoffs, where as St. Louis is the exact opposite. Of course there are exceptions, but the fact that goalies are so undervalued on HF is asinine. If I have a choice between a goalie or a scorer, I'm taking the goalie every time.

Fans love offense, but goaltending and defense gets you wins.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:18 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
So troll thread?

Troll post?

Does anyone wonder why Leaf fans still absoultely love a player who went from 30-6 goals? Ever think, maybe, theres a lot more to Kulemin then his goal scoring?

If TJ Oshie scored 30 and rarely ever lost a puck battle or made a mistake, how might you value him? Because Kulemin, like Oshie, has a really underrated defensive game and can make things happen with his size and speed on the forecheck..

Kulemin will likely be a 20-20 guy on most years, while being an exceptional 200 foot player. Yes, we all know he's snakebitten this year, thanks.

Comparing Lupul to Kulemin just shows you're even more lost then your posts would indicate. Former 7th overall pick was always pegged to be a 30 goal guy. Injurys and getting traded for Chris Pronger every year have hindered his production...... This year, he's finally had a full training camp and consistent minutes, and his production has reflected that.

At least if you're trying to blindly bash anything Leafs, at least find someone or something deserving (theres plenty).... You can knock Lupul all you want, but it just makes you look foolish... If I was trying to stir the pot with Blues fans, I'd probably avoid goaltending and coaching; two areas that haven't given much area for cristisism..... But hey, to each his own, right?

Old
02-27-2012, 07:20 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Goalies clearly have a bigger impact on team's success than scorers do. Look at Toronto and St. Louis; Toronto has a big scorer, but no goalie and are out of the playoffs, where as St. Louis is the exact opposite. Of course there are exceptions, but the fact that goalies are so undervalued on HF is asinine. If I have a choice between a goalie or a scorer, I'm taking the goalie every time.

Fans love offense, but goaltending and defense gets you wins.
Look at Chicago's goaltending.

Its not HF that undervalues goalies, its hockey in general. They're a crap shoot sometimes and thats why teams usually try to draft 1 every year because its hard to put value on trading for one.

I"m not disagreeing with your assesment, but its not HF perception, its all of hockey.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:23 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Look at Chicago's goaltending.

Its not HF that undervalues goalies, its hockey in general. They're a crap shoot sometimes and thats why teams usually try to draft 1 every year because its hard to put value on trading for one.

I"m not disagreeing with your assesment, but its not HF perception, its all of hockey.
Exactly, look where Chicago is. They are no longer a true Cup contender because of their failure to address their need in net. Thanks for proving my point.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:29 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Exactly, look where Chicago is. They are no longer a true Cup contender because of their failure to address their need in net. Thanks for proving my point.
I was referring to them winning the cup with Anti Niemi... The year they played Michael Leighton and the Flyers in the finals.. Who pissed in your cheerios? Are you always so pleasant?

Old
02-27-2012, 07:38 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
I was referring to them winning the cup with Anti Niemi... The year they played Michael Leighton and the Flyers in the finals.. Who pissed in your cheerios? Are you always so pleasant?
Did I say you need a big name? No, I said goalies have a bigger impact on a team's success. Niemi played great when the Hawks won, during the regular season and in the playoffs. Leighton was on a hot streak. It's not like either one was playing like a scrub.

Not really sure what you are trying to argue or prove. The reason the Blues didn't win a Cup, during their 25 year streak, was because we never had a playoff goalie. You win with goaltending, so of course I prefer Halak over Kessel.

Old
02-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

Man leafs fans are sensitive.

As far as goalies having no value.........if I would have posted Bishop for a 2nd round pick this place would have exploded, well what do you know, Bishop was traded for a 2nd.

The days of teams catching lightning in a bottle with crap goaltending is over. It was a cute exercise for a few years, but elite teams have elite goalies. I'm not sure if that's even debatable anymore. You want to win in this league you need great goaltending, days of no names winning the cup are over. Elite #1's have way more value than anyone is giving them credit for. Kessel can score 40 and could be playing golf in April with the Blues and their elite goalies will be enjoying(hopefully) a nice playoff run. But to each his own I guess.

Last edited by Meatwagon: 02-27-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Meatwagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:17 AM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Brian Burke: "Hey, Doug...would you like to downgrade your goaltending right before the playoffs?"

Doug Armstrong: "Why yes, yes I would. Where do I sign?"

I think that's how the conversation went.

mizzoublues29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:38 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUBLUES09 View Post
Brian Burke: "Hey, Doug...would you like to downgrade your goaltending right before the playoffs?"

Doug Armstrong: "Why yes, yes I would. Where do I sign?"

I think that's how the conversation went.
Burke: "I'll even give you a forward who is having a career year, playing with one of the most talented forwards in the league."

Armstrong: "Well how bout I get that talented forward, he seems to be pretty good."

Burke: "Come on Doug, you know forwards are more important than goalies, don't be ridiculous. I'd throw in Kulemin, but I know Hitchcock hates Russians. I'll take any Russians that you don't want off your hands for you as well."

Armstrong: "Thanks, you're such a nice guy."

Old
02-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Dr Robot

vCash: 641
I love these threads, they make me smile.
Lupul is guy who struggled to put up more than 50 points in his career till he has one good year on the wing of a good sniper who is also having a career year on a team that doesn't even know what defense is and relies on pure offense to win them games. Also a goaltender in Reimer who has below backup tender stats and is not better than the goalie we traded for a second round pick.

In return the leafs want a 24 year old power forward who in 4 years in the league has almost tagged 30 goals twice and pretty much everyone expected to be a regular 30/30 guy but is currently struggling offensively. Also to top it off we get to throw in goaltender who was clutch in the playoffs and can currently be argued as one of the top 5 goaltenders in the league this season.

I like the part where the other leafs posters were saying no.

Dr Robot is offline   Reply With Quote