2012 Playoff Talk/Remaining Schedules

Old
03-19-2012, 01:31 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Tomorrow's game is as big of a game as this franchise has played in the past four years (and yes, that includes last year's season finale debacle).
Explain.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Explain.
1) Finally picking up steam in the fan department, after long long dealing with a owner that everyone in the city hated (for Stars or Rangers reason). Obviously the 19,099 against Chicago was thrown off because there were quite a few Chicago fans but we still managed to have the largest crowd in our history and have had people talking about this franchise in a positive light for the first time in a long long time (this late in the season).

2) What other game in our previous four seasons meant so much to a division title race? This team is an average team, which I think most of us agree on. But the fact that they can continue to fight for a division title this late and hopefully past tomorrow will only help us in future seasons.

I just feel like this upcoming game will have the most impact on our team. Last season's finale while huge and one that our franchise has really never faced before, we were still there by default. The team suffer night after night with poor results before facing three teams in four games that were below par squads and it kept us in it. The only reason we even had a chance is cause Chicago blew it. And then we go on and have that debacle of a game. Tomorrow, we will see a team that will either continue to falter and fall or will rise to the occasions and be a team that isn't that failure of the previous three seasons. This team has put themselves in the position they're in. Continue to have people HAVE to talk about us or let the next three weeks of the seasons become the failures that we have come to expect from the franchise the past three seasons.

Obviously, if we lose tomorrow, the season isn't over or anything. But it definitely puts a dent in it. This team can not afford to go on a three or four or more-game losing streak this late in the season and expect to remain in it.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:46 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Explain.
A Stars' fan should probably be able to figure that out ....

3 teams other than St. Louis, Vancouver, Nashville, Detroit, and Chicago will make the playoffs.

On Friday, the Stars blew an opportunity to control their destiny against Chicago.

They do not play LA again, a team only 1 point back with an easier schedule. Hoping they stumble is Dallas' only shot at staying out front because Dallas' path in the final 10 is significantly more difficult than LAs, IMO. At this point, it's reasonable to assume they pass Dallas.

SJ controls their situation because the have a game in hand while only a point back. Plus, it can't be overlooked that they have the fortune of facing Dallas on the 2nd night of a back to back. Plus, again ... no one's schedule is as tough as Dallas' so you're banking on hoping to split the final 2 with SJ while going point for point down the stretch. Again ... logic would dictate staying in front of SJ is unlikely.

That leaves you PHX and CGY, the last 2 teams you can truly impact. Those 3 games are virtual must wins in regulation if you have any hope of finishing in the Top 8 while giving yourself the slight opportunity of staying with LA and SJ down the final stretch an sneak into a Division title.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:53 PM
BigG44

DAL: vs.PHX, vs.VAN, vs.CGY, @CGY, @EDM, @VAN, @SJ, vs.SJ, @NSH, vs.STL

VS.

SJ: vs.ANA, @LA, vs.BOS, vs.PHX, vs.COL, @ANA, @PHX, vs.DAL, @DAL, @LA, vs.LA

LA: vs.SJ, vs.STL, vs.BOS, @VAN, @CGY, @EDM, @MIN, vs.EDM, vs.SJ, @SJ

PHX: @DAL, vs.COL, @SJ, vs.STL, vs.SJ, vs.ANA, vs.CLB, @STL, @MIN

The fact that PHX, SJ, and LA play each other so much is either a blessing (regulation losses) or more likely a major curse (3 point games).

A loss to PHX puts Dallas' playoff hopes in serious doubt ... and that's without considering the major games against CGY coming up. You have to hold the Flames off as well and that could still be for just 9th in the Conference.

Old
03-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

If Dallas loses to Phoenix tomorrow, you'd almost have to sweep the Flames in the season series just to catch back up. Plus you'd have to win at least one against San Jose...and probably another against Vancouver.

Old
03-19-2012, 02:09 PM
BigG44

Quote:
If Dallas loses to Phoenix tomorrow, you'd almost have to sweep the Flames in the season series just to catch back up. Plus you'd have to win at least one against San Jose...and probably another against Vancouver.
Exactly. They really need 4 wins in the next 5 games so they have an opportunity to survive the last 5 (@VAN, @SJ, vs.SJ, @NAS, vs. STL).

The SJ games speak for themselves .. both teams will fight tooth and nail. You might get lucky with VAN and STL. By the time we get to that game, Vancouver could be virtually locked into 2nd place with nothing to fight for. By the time you get to the final game, STL will probably be locked into 1st place with nothing to fight for. On the other hand, that NAS game will be just as nasty as the SJ games. They'll likely still be fighting Detroit for 4th, and they'll likely have Radulov at that point.

6 wins doesn't guarantee you a playoff spot, but it might be Dallas' best hope.

Old
03-19-2012, 02:16 PM
BigG44

I think it's pretty safe to say the season boils down to those 5 games against PHX, CGY, and SJ honestly. You need 4 wins in those games to make the playoffs.

Old
03-19-2012, 04:07 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Obviously, if we lose tomorrow, the season isn't over or anything. But it definitely puts a dent in it. This team can not afford to go on a three or four or more-game losing streak this late in the season and expect to remain in it.
I just don't see it. Last year's game was bigger. No other game can potentially mean as much in terms of potential swings. The term must-win gets thrown around liberally this time of year. That was literally a must-win. It doesn't matter what the circumstances were that lead up to it.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Quote:
I just don't see it. Last year's game was bigger. No other game can potentially mean as much in terms of potential swings. The term must-win gets thrown around liberally this time of year. That was literally a must-win. It doesn't matter what the circumstances were that lead up to it.
I agree with you, the final game vs Minnesota Wild last year was more important to the Stars and I remember I made this thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...light=lehtonen

Wow, I cant believe its been almost a whole year now. I said in that thread that I hope Lehtonen will make me eat my words and so far he has.
I just hope he wont choke for your guys in the final 10 games, cause I really like the guy to succeed.

I think Lehtonen is a great goalie and that the mentality is the thing that stand in his way right now, if he can handle the pressure in the last 10 games for your guys, he will probaly 7 of those games then I think he have taken his game to a true elite level.

I was very dissapointed in Lehtonen final game last year, I hope he will do better for ya guys this year.

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Kari was far from the problem in that game against Minnesota.

Old
03-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Quote:
Kari was far from the problem in that game against Minnesota.
I watched that game and still think he is part of the problem during that game.

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 07:07 PM
catters078

We must

1)Win in regulation tomorrow vs Phoenix

2)get minimum 3 of 4 pts in the home and home vs Calgary

3)beat Edmonton

4)find another win from Vancouver twice, San Jose twice, @ Nashville and St louis

5)from those games if we only win one, we must get to OT in one of the losses.

That scenario as a minimum gets us to 93 which should be good enough for 8th.

IMO DO-able

All starts tomorrow. Please win

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 07:21 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

I wanna believe we will make it but I don't think we will just because nothing really goes my way when it comes to the Stars

MB94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

During the 10 game win streak I thought this team was going to prove me wrong. Now during this slide and having watched the Chicago game in person the same problems are still there. Transition game = crap. Forecheck = nonexistent. Finishing ability = none except Benn.

This team is trying to repeat last year all over except instead of waiting till the last game to fail they're doing it a few weeks earlier. We'll see but this schedule isn't doing them any favors.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:36 AM
catters078

Tomorrow is Bedlam.

Phoenix @ Dallas
Calgary @ Colorado
San Jose @ LA

We all play each other!!!!ahhhhhh

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:38 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Go Kings and Avs. Must win.

Old
03-20-2012, 02:50 AM
DallasFan

Official nad sincere thanks to the Ducks players for that an important victory for us I am so excited about today's match... Please win!!!

DallasFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:18 AM
Jere26

As we can see from past results, the so called 'big' teams that are most likely going to make the playoffs (NSH, STL, VAN etc) don't help us out much by failing to win against our close range opponents (LA, PHX, SJ, CAL). So in my opinion it'd be the best just to look at the next match and make the best out of it. There is no need to speculate "now there's a must win game tomorrow" as it has been shown that those big teams that we're facing in the end might even easier to beat than the 'mediocre' teams, as they don't necessary have the same amount of motivation ("must win"-scenario). Stars really have to end their losing stream asap and we're in the PO's.

Jere26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:13 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Go Kings and Avs. Must win.
I think I'd suggest pulling for a SJ regulation win.

With both teams tied and the same number of games played, LA is in a better position for a run based on their current play and schedule. Plus, Dallas has no opportunity to face them head to head.

With a more difficult schedule and 2 more games against Dallas (even if one is the 2nd night of a back to back), Dallas can technically hold off the Sharks. I keep thinking at some point the actual SJ team is going to show up instead of this team with 4 wins since the All Star break .... maybe they won't. Regardless, I think to be in the best position to still win the division, an LA loss in regulation tonight would be more helpful which is why we should probably all just expect a 3-point game.

Old
03-20-2012, 07:20 AM
BigG44

3/20 - Magic Number

Pacific Division Champs
  • San Jose = 20
  • Los Angeles = 20
  • Phoenix = 19
  • Anaheim = 7

Dallas wins Pacific Division if all teams' magic number falls to 0.

Playoffs
  • San Jose = 20
  • Los Angeles = 20
  • Phoenix = 19
  • Calgary = 17
  • Colorado = 17
  • Anaheim = 7
  • Minnesota = 7*
  • Edmonton = 2
  • Columbus = 0

When 7 teams magic numbers falls to 0, Dallas will clinch a playoff spot.

Dallas' Tragic Number
  • St. Louis = 4
  • Vancouver = 10
  • Detroit = 12
  • Nashville = 12
  • Chicago = 16
  • Phoenix = 21
  • Colorado = 21
  • Los Angeles = 22
  • San Jose = 22
  • Calgary = 23

When a tragic number falls to 0, Dallas can't catch that team. If 8 teams tragic numbers fall to 0, Dallas misses the playoffs.

A win by Dallas reduces all magic numbers by 2.
A OT/SO loss by Dallas reduces all magic numbers by 1.
A regulation loss by a team on the list reduces the magic number by 2.
A OT/SO loss by a team on the list reduces the magic number by 1.
A win by a team on the list leaves the magic number the same.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I think I'd suggest pulling for a SJ regulation win.

With both teams tied and the same number of games played, LA is in a better position for a run based on their current play and schedule. Plus, Dallas has no opportunity to face them head to head.

With a more difficult schedule and 2 more games against Dallas (even if one is the 2nd night of a back to back), Dallas can technically hold off the Sharks. I keep thinking at some point the actual SJ team is going to show up instead of this team with 4 wins since the All Star break .... maybe they won't. Regardless, I think to be in the best position to still win the division, an LA loss in regulation tonight would be more helpful which is why we should probably all just expect a 3-point game.
We've been completely dominated in every single game against San Jose. We're a lock for at least one loss with the back end of the b2b against them. And we'll probably need Kari to stand on his head in the 2nd game against them as well just to get a point. That's the only reason I'm cheering for LA. Cheerin for SJ would probably be the wise thing, but I guess I'm just cheering more for a regulation game more than anything.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
We've been completely dominated in every single game against San Jose. We're a lock for at least one loss with the back end of the b2b against them. And we'll probably need Kari to stand on his head in the 2nd game against them as well just to get a point. That's the only reason I'm cheering for LA. Cheerin for SJ would probably be the wise thing, but I guess I'm just cheering more for a regulation game more than anything.
With that logic, they are going to finish ahead of us anyhow, so they might as well take the points from LA, too.

Ambassador Of Fun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Sports
habitual conformist

Hoping for regulation wins by San Jose and Calgary.

Sports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:17 AM
BigG44

Small step towards the playoffs, but honestly nothing special since it was going to happen sooner or later ....

Edmonton can't pass Dallas any longer as their magic number falls to 0. Dallas needs 5 more teams to fall to 0 so they can clinch a playoff spot. Next on the list would be Minnesota and Anaheim. Again .. these two are pretty much a given with a magic number of 5 at this point.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:58 AM
BigG44

@Avalanche: The #Avs are 5-0-1 in their last 6 games and 7-1-1 in their last nine. also 11-3-1 in last 15, 14-5-2 in last 21