HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[MTL/NSH] A. Kostitsyn for 2nd round pick (2013), our cond'l 5th rounder (2012)

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2012, 05:14 AM
ReVeuF

vCash: 500
What was hurting the most lately was to let go all the UFAs for nothing in 2008-2009. Everyone and their grandmother knew Habs would not last crap in the playoffs, and this BEFORE the deadline during that year.

Komi would get us a 1st or similar value prospect
Koivu would get us a 1st or similar value prospect
Kovalev would get us a 1st or similar value prospect
Streit would fetch us a 2nd at least or similar value prospect
Tanguay would get us a 1st or similar value prospect

We got a big ZERO return, at it is biting us in the butt right now, I remember when the trade deadline happened I was very mad at the pee-wee caliber management. With this bad management even if we sold that year we would end up with crap.

Fire Gainey and Gauthier ASAP !

Old
02-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
lol

you watch the fans TURN on Nash,next home game will be something to watch .

It's a lot different to the fans if the team is shippin a guy out.
Nash to fans equals franchise,you heard so many of them say that.
So if they think the team is the one wanting to ship Nash , it's the team sellin fans out,which leave fans little hope,bad new on season tickets/

NOW if Nash is the one requesting to leave? different can of worms in fans eyes....spit in our face kinda deal.

This actually could be a turning point for Bluejackets.
I'm sure they'll be some who blame Nash but I don't think he's going to get the huge rain of boos that you think he will. We'll see. Regardless, I think it was a stupid move and I think this will cost the GM his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
What was hurting the most lately was to let go all the UFAs for nothing in 2008-2009. Everyone and their grandmother knew Habs would not last crap in the playoffs, and this BEFORE the deadline during that year.

Komi would get us a 1st or similar value prospect
Koivu would get us a 1st or similar value prospect
Kovalev would get us a 1st or similar value prospect
Streit would fetch us a 2nd at least or similar value prospect
Tanguay would get us a 1st or similar value prospect

We got a big ZERO return, at it is biting us in the butt right now, I remember when the trade deadline happened I was very mad at the pee-wee caliber management. With this bad management even if we sold that year we would end up with crap.

Fire Gainey and Gauthier ASAP !
Souray was another killler a year or two earlier... didn't even make the playoffs.

Old
02-28-2012, 06:50 AM
hockeyfan2k11

LOL @ killing AK's value. The guy has played 400 games.

Old
02-28-2012, 06:58 AM
yianik

I am convinced we have a systemic problem with the Habs at the GM level because there is a pattern that goes back through all our GMs since Serge Savard, with the exception of Andre Savard. Nobody sees the Habs as th great dynasty it once was where players came in and were awe inspired to play 100% to potential and conduct themselves impeccably because they donned the C, except at the management level. Chelios a party boy, gone, Roy a temper outburst for 10 seconds , gone, SK ,Tender etc a poor attitude, gone. Just like in society in general, young guys are more casual and laid back, they arent like yhe players 30-40 years ago and certainly they dont mature automatically just because they wear the C. Our GMs need to get over it.
In terms of coaching it is a very tough job. Generally speaking coaches are in a hot seat whicheverb team they coach because they have a shorter time horizon than a GM . A GM may have the luxury of having a 3 or 5 year plan that the owner supports, but the coach is always being scrutinized as to whether the team is performing as it should right now. This pressure is of course greater in Montreal.
I think we have made errors in coach selection over the years. We have had a lot of NHL rookie coaches and thats bad from the start. Those coaches, because of their lack of experience, were over their heads and also were easy to criticize because they were rookie coaches. In some cases if we had hung on to them they would have developed as coaches , like Julien and Vigneault.
In terms of GMs I want someone who only pays lip service to the greatness of the Habs. Give me a guy who just sees a team that needs to be turned around and while respectful of his coaches views is more tolerant of the young players of today. Molson must give the GM a 3-5 year window to turn the team around. Shorter than 3 years and you will have short term decisions that will keep us in mediocrity.
In terms of a coach we need a veteran who is also assured of being backed for a few years come hell or high water, like Burke is doing in Toronto ( though Wilson does appear to suck ). In other words , we have to get the right coach.JM to me was not the right coach. Dont get me wrong, JM is smart as hell and if he had the kind of personnel he wants Im sure he could do well, but this man had no tolerance or patience for immaturity and also wasnt interested in players he couldnt pigeon hole into his rigid system. JM could not adapt to the players he actually had and get the most out of them based on what they brought to the table. Thats why players like Darche and Gill could fair so well with him but many young guys couldnt. Alot of the players we have thrown away over the last few years I blame more on JM than the GM because if he told the GM he wouldnt play player X or Y because he coudlnt fit into the system then the GM would dump the player.So we have a young team now with more young guys on the way, we need a coach with some patience and an ability to cater a system around the players we have. We also need the coach to buy into a longer term approach, and thats where the GM needs to assure him of his support. GM also must be clear to the coach that coach must work with the players he has as trading players will only be considered as a last resort and generally will not be an option.
I also think we need to put in place or improve whatever program we have for mentoring young guys coming onto the team.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:32 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Trotz on the trade:

“When we got Sergei, I heard nothing but bad things about Sergei — that he couldn’t do this, he couldn’t do that, he couldn’t do this, he’s not going to help you, all those types of things,” Coach Barry Trotz said. “They’re wrong, we’re right — Sergei is one of the best things. We virtually gave up nothing and got our first-line left-winger. … He’s a good player. I expect the same thing of Andrei. I know he’s a terrific talent, and he can play.”

Old
02-28-2012, 07:57 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralManager View Post
Halak, great goalie...we shopped him to ONE team. I like Eller, but come, ONE team? You think teams like Colorado, Tampa, etc wouldn't have been ready to deal for a goalie like Halak. What did Colorado give to get Varly, what did the blues give to get Halak? Who is the better goalie? Where are the Blues in the standings? Just another atrocious job of underselling an awesome game stealing asset without taking every opportunity to optimize a return.
How many times does it need to be stated on this freaking board that this is factually incorrect?

Old
02-28-2012, 08:00 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
So what? We're in last place with Pleks in the lineup anyway and might not make it next year even if we keep him. And I don't care about 8th place. Why do you? It's about building towards a cup. If you don't think Radulov's the guy... that's cool. I really don't have an issue with that. But we should be looking to trade our vets like Pleks for younger players and picks. I'd actually prefer prospects because it shortens the rebuild but picks are good too.

If Radulov's not the guy, that's fine. But we have to be more open to dealing Pleks for younger players.
I am more interested in acquiring a 1st line center, through the draft or trade, to put ahead of Plekanec, rather than decimating an already weak center position.

Quote:
Why not just re-sign the guy if that's all you can get?
Would have preferred this.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:08 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Trotz on the trade:

“When we got Sergei, I heard nothing but bad things about Sergei — that he couldn’t do this, he couldn’t do that, he couldn’t do this, he’s not going to help you, all those types of things,” Coach Barry Trotz said. “They’re wrong, we’re right — Sergei is one of the best things. We virtually gave up nothing and got our first-line left-winger. … He’s a good player. I expect the same thing of Andrei. I know he’s a terrific talent, and he can play.”
I really don't remember hearing any of those things. We all knew Sergei was talented, we also knew that his ego at the time couldn't fit into the dressing room.

Closed Thread