HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The NHL Referee's and Ottawa Senators

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2011, 05:55 PM
  #1
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,356
vCash: 50
The NHL Referee's and Ottawa Senators

Someone proposed the idea of tracking the amount of penalties each referee calls on the Ottawa Senators. I decided to take it upon myself to find out.

What I Did
1) Went through each boxscore and recorded who refereed what games
2) Added each referee who has reffed Ottawa to a spreadsheet and the amount of games they have called
3) Opened a box score of each game and, using NHL Gamecenter, recorded which referee called the penalty
4) Recorder results in spreadsheets

Clarifications
Because it's rather foolish to credit 5 minutes to one ref who was calling a fighting major, there are some things that I did not count. These include:

a) Fights
b) Delay of Game (Puck Leaving the Playing Surface)
c) Coincidental Minors
d) Instigators
e) Misconducts

The only penalties I counted were minor penalties that, unless noted above, left the Senators shorthanded.

Notes
In the Game against the Leafs (Saturday, October 8), Chris Rooney called every single (5 total) minor penalty against Ottawa, while Van Massenhoven didn't call any.
In the Game against the Jets, Frederick L'Ecuyer called all 5 minor penalties, with Wes McCauley not calling any.


Referee's and Penalty Totals (Up to Jets Game)
To sort the table, click on the top of each column. For example, to see who has called the most penalties against us, click on "Penalty Minutes (Minors)"

Referee # of Games Penalty Minutes (Minors)
Rob Martell 1 4
Paul Devorski 1 8
Chris Rooney 1 10
Don Van Massenhoven 1 0
Stephane Auger 1 2
Eric Furlatt 1 2
Ghislain Hebert 1 6
Justin St. Pierre 1 2
Kelly Sutherland 1 4
Marc Joanette 1 4
Kevin Pollock 1 6
Frederick L'Ecuyer 1 10
Wes McCauley 1 0

NHL Referee's.xls

Remember, I've only got to the Jets game so far. I will do more later tonight.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:02 PM
  #2
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?
 
wubwubwubwub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,172
vCash: 50
Cool, thanks for putting the work into this. The reffing has been better this year so far, but there have still been shoddy calls. I believe that some refs do have a bias against Ottawa but who knows- I am not very attentive to who calls games. Maybe you could say who reffed what game? I think that would put things into better perspective for us.
Also, if you want I can help out if you provide me with the source of the info. Seems like a lot of work for just one hombre.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:04 PM
  #3
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,356
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Cool, thanks for putting the work into this. The reffing has been better this year so far, but there have still been shoddy calls. I believe that some refs do have a bias against Ottawa but who knows- I am not very attentive to who calls games. Maybe you could say who reffed what game? I think that would put things into better perspective for us.
Also, if you want I can help out if you provide me with the source of the info. Seems like a lot of work for just one hombre.
Haha, I essentially had to go to the boxscore, go watch that part of the game on NHL gamecenter and record.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:05 PM
  #4
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,322
vCash: 500
Great job on the work. Just thought I'd say that. I personally am not going to look at most of it but credit where credit is due.

Its pretty amazing that Ottawa gets **** on all the time with reffing though. I see it every game. Whether there is bias or not it always seems like we're playing against the refs + whatever team we're against.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:06 PM
  #5
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 17,160
vCash: 256
Not trying to be a dick or anything but I'm not sure what this will achieve.

Way too much goes into reffing that simply cannot be quantified...

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:08 PM
  #6
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,356
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Not trying to be a dick or anything but I'm not sure what this will achieve.

Way too much goes into reffing that simply cannot be quantified...
I know that, I'm a referee myself.

I just find it interesting, because after an 82 game season it will be interesting to see if any results are abnormal or anything.

People expressed interest in knowing, so I went out and got the info. For example, I've always hated Joanette as a referee, so if he does 7 Senators games in a season and calls a lot more penalties than others, I know that there was a reason for it.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:12 PM
  #7
True Story
Registered User
 
True Story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,147
vCash: 500
....


Last edited by True Story: 05-04-2012 at 05:44 PM.
True Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:14 PM
  #8
SelleckStache
Registered User
 
SelleckStache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 50
Can it be broken down by home / away games?

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:16 PM
  #9
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,356
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelleckStache View Post
Can it be broken down by home / away games?
Sure, I'll try and do that, if people will actually use this thread. If not, there's really no point.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:17 PM
  #10
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 17,160
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonahan View Post
I know that, I'm a referee myself.

I just find it interesting, because after an 82 game season it will be interesting to see if any results are abnormal or anything.

People expressed interest in knowing, so I went out and got the info. For example, I've always hated Joanette as a referee, so if he does 7 Senators games in a season and calls a lot more penalties than others, I know that there was a reason for it.
Fair enough. I'm just not a numbers guy, so I have an aversion to stats!

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:19 PM
  #11
pepty
Registered User
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,135
vCash: 492
it would be interesting so see how many penalties are called against other teams when playing the Sens,especially after seeing the imbalance in the other Pipes and Sripes thread.

pepty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:20 PM
  #12
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,356
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Fair enough. I'm just not a numbers guy, so I have an aversion to stats!
Ahh. Understandable.

I'm the complete opposite . I am obsessed with projections, numbers, stats, all that stuff...

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:26 PM
  #13
SelleckStache
Registered User
 
SelleckStache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonahan View Post
Haha, I essentially had to go to the boxscore, go watch that part of the game on NHL gamecenter and record.
Holy cow

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:28 PM
  #14
pepty
Registered User
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,135
vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonahan View Post
Sure, I'll try and do that, if people will actually use this thread. If not, there's really no point.
I think a lot of people would find this interesting.

Sounds like a lot of work though.

pepty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:29 PM
  #15
GK
Not Jeeks
 
GK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,637
vCash: 500
Interesting thread. I'm excited to see what the number are after you add the other games in.

Good work SM.

GK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:32 PM
  #16
Micklebot
Registered User
 
Micklebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,876
vCash: 500
While it will be interesting to see the results, I fear this is going to lead to a lot of confirmation bias.

I also am not sure how valuable it is to know how many penalties a specific ref made against us without knowing how or if that number deviates from what he calls against anyone else.

Sorry if I'm being too negative... at the end of the day, this should lead to some good food for thought,


Last edited by Micklebot: 11-07-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:34 PM
  #17
GK
Not Jeeks
 
GK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonahan View Post
Haha, I essentially had to go to the boxscore, go watch that part of the game on NHL gamecenter and record.
Your dedication to finding this out is amazing.

GK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:36 PM
  #18
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,695
vCash: 50
Great Job!!

I'll be following this thread. It is interesting that Neil and Konopka are 1 and 2 in the league right now in penalty minutes. I know its Neil and Konopka but come on.

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:38 PM
  #19
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,356
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
While it will be interesting to see the results, I fear this is going to lead to a lot of confirmation bias.

I also am not sure how valuable it is to know how many penalties a specific ref made against us without knowing how or if that number deviates from what he calls against anyone else.

Sorry if I'm being too negative... at the end of the day, this should lead to some good food for though,
My main goal is just to see if there are any outright anomalies.

Obviously it's a quantitative stat, so you have to consider everything. It's like +/-, it can be considered but other qualitative things come into play as well.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:39 PM
  #20
GK
Not Jeeks
 
GK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalott613 View Post
Great Job!!

I'll be following this thread. It is interesting that Neil and Konopka are 1 and 2 in the league right now in penalty minutes. I know its Neil and Konopka but come on.
Konopka fights a lot. I'm almost certain he has fought in more then half the game he has been in this year.

GK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:43 PM
  #21
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,695
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
Konopka fights a lot. I'm almost certain he has fought in more then half the game he has been in this year.
Ya I think they both recieved misconducts as well, which was bias imo.

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:46 PM
  #22
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?
 
wubwubwubwub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,172
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonahan View Post
Haha, I essentially had to go to the boxscore, go watch that part of the game on NHL gamecenter and record.
That is some impressive commitment. I dont know if I can match it

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:51 PM
  #23
GK
Not Jeeks
 
GK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalott613 View Post
Ya I think they both recieved misconducts as well, which was bias imo.
Everything seems to be biased when it comes to the Sens.

GK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:54 PM
  #24
Micklebot
Registered User
 
Micklebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonahan View Post
My main goal is just to see if there are any outright anomalies.

Obviously it's a quantitative stat, so you have to consider everything. It's like +/-, it can be considered but other qualitative things come into play as well.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you won't know it's an anomaly unless you have a baseline. So while you know ref X calls a lot of penalties against us, you don't know if he just calls a lot in general, or calls a lot just against us.

I still think that info can be interesting, but just fear people may jump to false conclusions.

Anyhow, this can still be very useful info, because it will identify the "let them play" style refs, and the ones who call everything. I'd be interested to know our record when any given ref calls the game as well.

Cheers to some good work, and thanks for doing the heavy lifting for those of us who enjoy this kind of stuff.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:12 PM
  #25
SelleckStache
Registered User
 
SelleckStache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 50
The rookies just haven't had enough time to get to know the refs yet. They should start baking cakes or something

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.