HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #65 | Ottawa Senators @ Tim Thomas | February 28th @ 7:00PM | SNET

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2012, 11:38 AM
  #101
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
WasTeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,290
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Please no. Carkner isn't playing right? Right?
Nope, he's sitting for GRoy

WasTeD is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 11:38 AM
  #102
KC91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
I think we're gonna see 3 or 4 fights tonight.

KC91 is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 11:40 AM
  #103
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
Nope, he's sitting for GRoy
Oh thank Alfie.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 11:44 AM
  #104
bacon25
Registered User
 
bacon25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Group Study Room F
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,723
vCash: 500
I predict Gilroy gets an assist and Turris a Gordie Howe hat trick.

bacon25 is online now  
Old
02-28-2012, 11:51 AM
  #105
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,778
vCash: 500
I predict Gilroy will wilt under the relentless forecheck of the Bruins and be panned by the end of the game.

NyQuil is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 11:52 AM
  #106
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,214
vCash: 500
How do we expect the PK to look now? I suppose Phillips, Kuba, Gonchar and Cowen will all play the 1st and 2nd units with one of the LHD playing the right side. Who will be the 5th guy if one of them takes a penalty? Will it be Gilroy or Karlsson?

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 11:56 AM
  #107
Lyndon Slewidge
Registered User
 
Lyndon Slewidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
How do we expect the PK to look now? I suppose Phillips, Kuba, Gonchar and Cowen will all play the 1st and 2nd units with one of the LHD playing the right side. Who will be the 5th guy if one of them takes a penalty? Will it be Gilroy or Karlsson?
Ideally moving foward we would want Karlsson on the PK anyways so I don't see that as a problem

Lyndon Slewidge is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 11:58 AM
  #108
Flamingo
Registered User
 
Flamingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,429
vCash: 500
I'll just be happy to see a spin-o-rama defenceman for the first time since Rundblad left. We'll be ok as long as he uses the spin in all 200' of ice.

Flamingo is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:02 PM
  #109
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet
 
PatrickEaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail2012 View Post
I predict our soft defence will make so many bad turnovers based on the relentless forecheck from the physical Bruins.

Carkner should be playing IMO.
Every single time I see someone advocate playing Carkner against a heavy forecheck team I hard.

What are the traits needed by a defenseman that is facing a heavy forechecking team?

Mobility:
Need to be able to get to the puck quickly, to have more time to make a decision before the fore-checker gets to you.
Need to be able to evade the fore-checker if needed so a passing/skating option opens up.
Need to have the option of skating the puck out if all passing options are covered.


Quick Accurate Passing Skills:
Need to be able to get the puck to the open man before the fore-checker gets on you. Especially in the limited time that option is open. It would be best if the pass is a good accurate one, so the receiver of the pass has more time to consider their own options with the puck, instead of having to spend time hunting the puck down, or settling the puck down.

Quick Decision Making:
Need to be able to get the puck to the open man before the fore-checker gets on you. Especially in the limited time that option is open.

Adequate Stickhandling Skills:
Need to be able to evade the fore-checker if needed so a passing/skating option opens up.
Need to have the ability to settle a bouncing puck down quickly so a pass can be made.


Carkner has none of those skills.

__________________
No, I'm not a girl. Stop asking!
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBlQ4ybRWH8
PatrickEaves is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:19 PM
  #110
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015
 
VanIsle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Comox Valley, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
Heres to a good game boys.

I am happily surprised at the Sens this year, any team in the NE that does better then the Habs or Leafs is a fan of mine.

Also love Karlsson, he got me 12 points last week in the SportsNet pool.

Hopefully we see some scraps and a good clean game.

VanIsle is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:23 PM
  #111
derriko
Registered User
 
derriko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 2,944
vCash: 4116
We should put Carkner on wing instead of Condra. He has been bad lately and probably needs a wake up call. Move Foligno up to the second line

derriko is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:24 PM
  #112
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail2012 View Post
Awesome. Now let's play the game and wait and see. That is why the game is played on the ice not on a spreadsheet.

Wait and see what happens when the Bruins go in without a care in the world.

Do you think it is a coincidence that Konopka draws in for this game? Or does Konopka have a certain skillset that helps in tonight affair?

The post you copied and pasted, was originally authored by someone who hasn't played the game before. I'm not sure if that fits the bill or not?
I don't see what you're getting at here. What exactly do you think Konopka can do to stop a forecheck?

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:24 PM
  #113
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
WasTeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,290
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Carkner was the worst defenceman we iced last game against the Bruins. His 'toughness' and 'grit' were non existent. He's a pylon. I don't even remember the last time he dropped the mitts.

WasTeD is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:24 PM
  #114
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons
 
Ghost in the Shell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 9,025
vCash: 920
We are going to lose anyway so why not have Konopka run around like a headless chicken and do some damage? At least it would be funny and would give us an excuse not to play him anymore.

Ghost in the Shell is online now  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:25 PM
  #115
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
We should put Carkner on wing instead of Condra. He has been bad lately and probably needs a wake up call. Move Foligno up to the second line
Daugavins has been worse. Don't need to make too many changes and we'll use Smith-Condra as a pk pair.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:29 PM
  #116
Icelevel
little bit better
 
Icelevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,077
vCash: 500
Gilroy should impress tonight. Also, i think the bruins are gonna lose.

Icelevel is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:34 PM
  #117
Cowen Time
Registered User
 
Cowen Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Time for the Sens to take the Bruins. 6th place is doable by the end of the season, and getting the Southleast for the 1st round should be plenty of motivation.

The Sens deserved the last game played in Boston and I expect they will take this one. Lehner needs to be solid, with no early gimmes like Auld gave up. You can't beat Boston like that.

Cowen Time is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:36 PM
  #118
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet
 
PatrickEaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail2012 View Post
Awesome. Now let's play the game and wait and see. That is why the game is played on the ice not on a spreadsheet.

Wait and see what happens when the Bruins go in without a care in the world.

Do you think it is a coincidence that Konopka draws in for this game? Or does Konopka have a certain skillset that helps in tonight affair?

The post you copied and pasted, was originally authored by someone who hasn't played the game before. I'm not sure if that fits the bill or not?
I'm quite interested to know why you think I copy and pasted a relatively simple explanation post.

Is it because the post includes a logical argument instead of buzzwords such as "toughness" or "big" or "intimidation"?

PatrickEaves is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:38 PM
  #119
DuckedUpOnQuack
Registered User
 
DuckedUpOnQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,870
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
Honestly I don't think it's a bad idea having Konopka in the lineup tonight.

- Playing against a tough team in a game that might get out of hand
- New D-Man who isn't used to the system yet might lead to a lot of defensive zone faceoffs

Doesn't mean Konopka has to play every 4th line shift either. Paulrus could just as easily double shift any of the top 9 guys. And in the end, Daugy hasn't played like he did at the start of the season; a little break might do him good.

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:43 PM
  #120
pt_mck
Registered User
 
pt_mck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I predict Gilroy will wilt under the relentless forecheck of the Bruins and be panned by the end of the game.
We'll all by cursing BMurray and pining for the good ole days when Brian Lee was here.

pt_mck is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:45 PM
  #121
slamigo
Skate or Die!
 
slamigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon Slewidge View Post
Ideally moving foward we would want Karlsson on the PK anyways so I don't see that as a problem
I don't think so. I remember that MacLean mentioned before something about how they don't want to use him on the PK because he's too important 5/5 and for powerplays. If they give him PK minutes, then he'll be playing 30+ minutes a game. He's already usually over 25 minutes as it is. They don't want to run him into the ground. A tired player makes mistakes or worse, gets injured.

Gilroy should be good on the PK. That is, if he can execute a quick outlet pass. I guess we'll see tonight what he brings.

slamigo is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:49 PM
  #122
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
WasTeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,290
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
I'm quite interested to know why you think I copy and pasted a relatively simple explanation post.

Is it because the post includes a logical argument instead of buzzwords such as "toughness" or "big" or "intimidation"?
Yea quite odd. If he's going to accuse you of stealing a post I'd expect to see some sort of link or something lol

WasTeD is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 12:56 PM
  #123
slamigo
Skate or Die!
 
slamigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
I don't think anyone on the Bruins is afraid of Konopka. Carkner on the other hand is well respected. If we have to have one of those two in the lineup, I'll pick Carkner every time.

slamigo is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 01:02 PM
  #124
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail2012 View Post
He can stop the Bruins from running around without a care in the world...same as Carkner.
By doing what? Hugging a guy and wrestling him to the ice? No one is intimidated by Zenon Konopka. He's pretty small for a 'tough guy' and a terrible fighter in general. Lucic or Chara will eat him alive if he thinks he can go with them. Its not like Konopka has the skating to catch anyone with a big hit either.

Either way, the general idea of toughness in hockey is such a cruel fallacy. It cracks me up every time I read people discussing it on HF. No has to fear Carkner. He's been castrated and there's no one on the Bruins who need to fight him since it would be a terrible trade off. Even if Carkner could somehow catch up to one of these so called tough Bruins, there's an instigator rule in place that give them the choice or not to go in which case they will just decline.

Ice the quick defensemen and beat the forecheck to the puck. Its pretty simple. Our skilled players have been getting it done for us all season. To think a couple of scrubs can turn the tide against the league's defending champions is flat out delusional.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline  
Old
02-28-2012, 01:06 PM
  #125
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
By doing what? Hugging a guy and wrestling him to the ice? No one is intimidated by Zenon Konopka. He's pretty small for a 'tough guy' and a terrible fighter in general. Lucic or Chara will eat him alive if he thinks he can go with them. Its not like Konopka has the skating to catch anyone with a big hit either.

Either way, the general idea of toughness in hockey is such a cruel fallacy. It cracks me up every time I read people discussing it on HF. No has to fear Carkner. He's been castrated and there's no one on the Bruins who need to fight him since it would be a terrible trade off. Even if Carkner could somehow catch up to one of these so called tough Bruins, there's an instigator rule in place that give them the choice or not to go in which case they will just decline.

Ice the quick defensemen and beat the forecheck to the puck. Its pretty simple. Our skilled players have been getting it done for us all season. To think a couple of scrubs can turn the tide against the league's defending champions is flat out delusional.
You really think if Carkner was to run Thomas they would just sit around and do nothing?

wjhl2009fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.