HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens claim Brad Staubitz off re-entry waivers

Old
03-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
It's all about having some guys to dance with guys from other teams. No tough guys on our team means somebody having to dance anyway, or a whole lot of guys taking advantage over our non-fighter guys. Staubitz and Co fills the role of taking the pressure of non-fighters to actually have to fight.

Now, what I want OUT of this league, is the fights that take place AFTER fair hits. This is so childish, it is pretty sad. You are hit, fairly, and yet fall on your ass? Well it's your duty to give it back at a a later moment. But having to fight and all? The fighter's team should have a 5-minutes PK attached to it and the fighter being thrown out of the game. Makes no sense to always want to fight a guy everytime somebody is at a wrong end of a fair hit.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Kjell Dahlin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
What is it that YOU are looping for? Offensive production from a 4th line? Give me a break and just think for a second, how in the world are we a better, more complete team with Palushaj who has 1 assist or Darche who brings nothing? Staubitz has a role white limited and is then substituted by top 6 forwards when the time is right. When it comes to team roughness you are a joke. 0.

P
My GAWD!

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 03-04-2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: ref.: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=45166871&postcount=300
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:12 PM
ChoseLa

Staubitz is good at fighting, he enjoys it and so is White, but to me Moen is still the best fighter on team. It's good to have three guys who can win a fight, i think the last time we had that was when Rivet, Komisarek, Bouillon and Souray were patroling our blue line with Muray and Bégin on the fourth.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:15 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
There's nothing wrong with having a guy like this as the 13th or 14th forward on the team. He doesn't look like a liability out there.

But it is amazing how much conversation there is about this guy. It doesn't matter if he's here or not next year if we don't get real help on the wings. Right now we probably have the worst winger tandem in the league.
Needs.

Staubitz fills a need on this team so people are talking about it.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismark View Post
Staubitz is a better fighter than that guy, wtf are you even talking about? You think size determines fight class?
That is precisely what determines it. The classes are determined by weight.
However, hockey is not a fighting sport, so there's no classes. You can go with whoever you want. Staubitz would drop his gloves against any player, that is the sad part of being an enforcer, sometimes you know you're in for a beating unless you get a lucky punch in.
As for Arty's fighting skills, he's not the best, but he can definitely hold his own. But he's been in the KHL for the past two years, I don't know why his name is being brought up. I really doubt he'll want to come back here anyways, he's having a career year there.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:29 PM
StellerEller

vCash: 351
I'd Keep staubitz in the lineup. Get rid of Darche, He patched a hole for us in the past but we need to go forward and get younger, we can't afford his roster spot.

Staubitz
Moen
White
Bourque
Blunden

These guys (among others who occasionally fight) can all fight, and I think between them and adding a D who can fight will fill the role of team toughness. Staubitzis the key. He is the designated fighter, which takes pressure of the above regular fighters, which trickles down to the non-fighters. The result: Team toughness. It comes from the team as a whole, but having a designated sheriff is the lynch-pin to the success of achieving that result. Now staubitz may not be that guy, the new GM will probably think he can find someone better to fill the role, but either way that role needs to be filled. We have some depth at forward concerning scoring already, plus a high draft pick that will likely be a forward. This means we should roll 3 lines more often, let staubitz (or whoever) and the 4th line play less.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Needs.

Staubitz fills a need on this team so people are talking about it.
This is true, but having that need filled is basically irrelevant as long as we keep on missing a more important one - talent.

It doesn't matter how many fights you win if Rene Bourque is your third best winger.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It's all about having some guys to dance with guys from other teams. No tough guys on our team means somebody having to dance anyway, or a whole lot of guys taking advantage over our non-fighter guys. Staubitz and Co fills the role of taking the pressure of non-fighters to actually have to fight.

Now, what I want OUT of this league, is the fights that take place AFTER fair hits. This is so childish, it is pretty sad. You are hit, fairly, and yet fall on your ass? Well it's your duty to give it back at a a later moment. But having to fight and all? The fighter's team should have a 5-minutes PK attached to it and the fighter being thrown out of the game. Makes no sense to always want to fight a guy everytime somebody is at a wrong end of a fair hit.
You said this perfectly, I agree 100%

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

So true and is it me or in the last 1-2 years it's getting more and more common theses days.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:43 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
This is true, but having that need filled is basically irrelevant as long as we keep on missing a more important one - talent.

It doesn't matter how many fights you win if Rene Bourque is your third best winger.
I agree. This team has a lot of needs. Better wingers is definitely a priority. Better defense as well. Team toughness is a need.

You cannot address one or two needs and leave a gaping hole with another need.

That is what a lot of us have been saying all this season. Toughness alone will not win a Cup. Talent without toughness is not enough to win a Cup. There must be a balance.

This team has been without toughness for so long that people are pleased to see that need addressed.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:53 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I agree. This team has a lot of needs. Better wingers is definitely a priority. Better defense as well. Team toughness is a need.

You cannot address one or two needs and leave a gaping hole with another need.

That is what a lot of us have been saying all this season. Toughness alone will not win a Cup. Talent without toughness is not enough to win a Cup. There must be a balance.

This team has been without toughness for so long that people are pleased to see that need addressed.
Priority is a BIG talented center.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy33Clutch View Post
I'd Keep staubitz in the lineup. Get rid of Darche, He patched a hole for us in the past but we need to go forward and get younger, we can't afford his roster spot.

Staubitz
Moen
White
Bourque
Blunden

These guys (among others who occasionally fight) can all fight, and I think between them and adding a D who can fight will fill the role of team toughness. Staubitzis the key. He is the designated fighter, which takes pressure of the above regular fighters, which trickles down to the non-fighters. The result: Team toughness. It comes from the team as a whole, but having a designated sheriff is the lynch-pin to the success of achieving that result. Now staubitz may not be that guy, the new GM will probably think he can find someone better to fill the role, but either way that role needs to be filled. We have some depth at forward concerning scoring already, plus a high draft pick that will likely be a forward. This means we should roll 3 lines more often, let staubitz (or whoever) and the 4th line play less.
Darche isn't replacing a young player if he is on the 4th line. I'd prefer our young guys in Hamilton over playing on the 4th line(except Schultz and Conboy). darche's role is to play hard, be reliable defensively and help kill penalities plus chip in offense when he can.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
So... what are we looking at exactly?

"How to goon your way to a crappy record"?
As opposed to belly-dance our way to a crappy record as they did before?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:06 AM
StellerEller

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Darche isn't replacing a young player if he is on the 4th line. I'd prefer our young guys in Hamilton over playing on the 4th line(except Schultz and Conboy). darche's role is to play hard, be reliable defensively and help kill penalities plus chip in offense when he can.
I too don't want to see guys like palushaj on the bottom 6. I want a true bottom 6, and the players I mentioned would be replacing darche on the wings, not young players. The role you describe can be fulfilled easily by those aforementioned players.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Would really, really prefer if the emergence of guys like Geoffrion, and White, in addition to the presence of MaxPac, and Cole (and previously A.Kost, even) meant a guy like Staubitz had no need on this team. Would be even better if a guy like Bourque did what so many promised he would and bring some kind of extra sandpaper and size towards similar ends, lol. I can't help but think that if our defense had a little more assertive toughness up and down, we wouldn't really need a forward to pop on the ice for 5 mins or so each night just to remind other teams there's a sheriff in town.

Waste of a roster spot, no matter how great his lotion feels on the wounds of Habs players this season.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
As opposed to belly-dance our way to a crappy record as they did before?
Before Cunneyworth's passion for goons and simplistic dump and chase hockey, this team's record was better, there was more cohesion, the team was better prepared and we were a few centimeters away from a playoff spot.

Now?

We are gooning our way through defeats, Plekanec is playing with Geoffrion and White and our coach keeps mentioning that he likes the character showed by his team...

There must be something in-between goons and belly-dancers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Would really, really prefer if the emergence of guys like Geoffrion, and White, in addition to the presence of MaxPac, and Cole (and previously A.Kost, even) meant a guy like Staubitz had no need on this team. Would be even better if a guy like Bourque did what so many promised he would and bring some kind of extra sandpaper and size towards similar ends, lol. I can't help but think that if our defense had a little more assertive toughness up and down, we wouldn't really need a forward to pop on the ice for 5 mins or so each night just to remind other teams there's a sheriff in town.

Waste of a roster spot, no matter how great his lotion feels on the wounds of Habs players this season.
"... I can't help but think that if our defense had a little more assertive toughness up and down, we wouldn't really need a forward to pop on the ice for 5 mins or so each night just to remind other teams there's a sheriff in town..."

I agree; signing a guy like Barret Jackman (soon to be UFA) would be a step in the right direction imo.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:25 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post

ahhh this post is music to my ears.
Except for the part about what some promised bourque would bring. i would say that most promised bourque to bring salray cap reduction foremost and a lazy ass where he "brings it" less then 50% of the time, and those times it would be worth it. right now he's bringing it less then 20% of the time, and its frustrating to see him care so little, and he's definitely not worth it.

If we have a Marko-Emelin, PK Gorges top 4, with Emelin, Gorges and Subban who are tough to play against (not Chara/Pronger tough but still, above avg) add another tough D with either weber or diaz and we are set for next year.

Last edited by uiCk: 03-05-2012 at 12:31 PM.
uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:34 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Keep Staubitz. He has a role.

What we really need is a professional coach who'll get the most out of his players. With Gionta back we should have 2 good scoring lines next year. A solid defensive line with Moen and Eller and an energy line with White and Stauby. FINALLY.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:37 PM
sampollock

this dude makes the other team honest, add white in, and the ch does not get pushed around anymore,

get bigger yet.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
this dude makes the other team honest, add white in, and the ch does not get pushed around anymore,

get bigger yet.
Plus Moen, whom I now hope we friggen re-sign to a reasonable(1.5-1.8 for 2-3 years) contract, and you have 3 bottom 6 guys that can drop the gloves and take care of themselves doing it.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Plus Moen, whom I now hope we friggen re-sign to a reasonable(1.5-1.8 for 2-3 years) contract, and you have 3 bottom 6 guys that can drop the gloves and take care of themselves doing it.
He'll get the same amount, if not less.

Another guy capable of handling himself would be great. Depending on how the off-season goes next year we could see a real bottom 6 instead of a bunch of hard working, no skill, *******.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

1.2.3 before BRANDON PRUST to MTL rumour

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:04 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscorpio View Post
1.2.3 before BRANDON PRUST to MTL rumour
People have been talking about targeting prust in the offseason for months now.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:08 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Keep Staubitz. He has a role.

What we really need is a professional coach who'll get the most out of his players. With Gionta back we should have 2 good scoring lines next year. A solid defensive line with Moen and Eller and an energy line with White and Stauby. FINALLY.
And Moen is versatile enough to play on that energy line too if need be.

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:15 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Before Cunneyworth's passion for goons and simplistic dump and chase hockey, this team's record was better, there was more cohesion, the team was better prepared and we were a few centimeters away from a playoff spot.

Now?

We are gooning our way through defeats, Plekanec is playing with Geoffrion and White and our coach keeps mentioning that he likes the character showed by his team...

There must be something in-between goons and belly-dancers!
Staubitz actually gets very few shifts(usually 5-7) and White's has been the same as it was in the Martin era (and even Martin experimented with him on the PP during the playoffs, although he was quick to end it). We're getting defeated because our defense from #4 on down still stinks combined with the fact that Cunneyworth is a ****ing moron at managing the bench.

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote