HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens claim Brad Staubitz off re-entry waivers

Old
03-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
People have been talking about targeting prust in the offseason for months now.
I've been talking about getting him since we acquired Boyd.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Would really, really prefer if the emergence of guys like Geoffrion, and White, in addition to the presence of MaxPac, and Cole (and previously A.Kost, even) meant a guy like Staubitz had no need on this team. Would be even better if a guy like Bourque did what so many promised he would and bring some kind of extra sandpaper and size towards similar ends, lol. I can't help but think that if our defense had a little more assertive toughness up and down, we wouldn't really need a forward to pop on the ice for 5 mins or so each night just to remind other teams there's a sheriff in town.

Waste of a roster spot, no matter how great his lotion feels on the wounds of Habs players this season.
Here we go again with that, WHO'S SPOT? WHAT ROLE? Staubitz was needed and looks to be very appreciated by his teammates. In what world is having Palaushaj, Darche or Engvist better for the team?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Here we go again with that, WHO'S SPOT? WHAT ROLE? Staubitz was needed and looks to be very appreciated by his teammates. In what world is having Palaushaj, Darche or Engvist better for the team?
I'm sorry, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, or why that should make me reconsider what I just said.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
I'm sorry, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, or why that should make me reconsider what I just said.
You said it was a waste of a roster spot, it's a waste for who? Pretty simple if you ask me...

You guys wanted somebody who can fight and play with an edge when he's not fighting, somebody that doesn't send a "fax" to get the toughness going, it's exactly what Staubitz has brought us since joining the Habs, and you guys are still complaining...

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:38 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
What is wrong with having Staubitz on the fourth line when compared to Engqvist, Darche or Palushaj.

Will probably get the same scoring output from Staubitz as those guys I mentioned but Staubitz can stick up for his teammates while Engqvist, Darce and Palushaj simply skate away from the rough stuff.

Pretty simple concept.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
You said it was a waste of a roster spot, it's a waste for who? Pretty simple if you ask me...

You guys wanted somebody who can fight and play with an edge when he's not fighting, somebody that doesn't send a "fax" to get the toughness going, it's exactly what Staubitz has brought us since joining the Habs, and you guys are still complaining...
Well, you can stop talking in generalities if you want to allude to my opinion of what I'd like to see for a 4th line. I've discussed line combinations in the appropriate threads, they're readily available/searchable, but yeah, the cliffs notes are that none of them included Staubitz. They do, however, include more looks at guys like Geoffrion, White, Engqvist, Blunden, Nattinen, LeBlanc, and even Nokelainen and/or Moen if he's still here.

Again, if the regular defense pairings had enough "toughness" between them, there'd be no problem "worrying" about any 4th line combination(s) of those forwards I just listed.

Old
03-05-2012, 09:57 PM
le_sean

Quote:

He really did his job when Emelin got hit from behind against Minnesota.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Mynameismark*

Quote:
Well, you can stop talking in generalities if you want to allude to my opinion of what I'd like to see for a 4th line. I've discussed line combinations in the appropriate threads, they're readily available/searchable, but yeah, the cliffs notes are that none of them included Staubitz. They do, however, include more looks at guys like Geoffrion, White, Engqvist, Blunden, Nattinen, LeBlanc, and even Nokelainen and/or Moen if he's still here.

Again, if the regular defense pairings had enough "toughness" between them, there'd be no problem "worrying" about any 4th line combination(s) of those forwards I just listed.
Sorry kiddo, this is North American hockey..soft euros do not belong on 4th lines.

Mynameismark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismark View Post
Sorry kiddo, this is North American hockey..soft euros do not belong on 4th lines.
Those "soft euros" like Geoffrion, White, Blunden, Leblanc, and Moen? That's 5 out of the 8 names I listed, lol. And "kiddo"? Really? Who are you, besides someone who doesn't seem to have avatar privileges for "some" reason?

Old
03-05-2012, 11:36 PM
LastRide

When Staubitz fought Brown in the TO game. It was the turning point in the game Habs leading 1-0. It was a pretty even tilt, but some may say Brown may have had the edge in the fight. Obvously it didn't help the Habs cause they never scored again. Toronto scored a few after that. Was it the fight or something else that that gave Toronto the boost.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:44 PM
LastRide

Quote:
It just goes to show you how thin this team is when you can replace those guys with Staubitz who is nothing special himself. He may be better than those guys (maybe not Darche) but nothing to write home about. I just don't think Staubitz can make enough of an impact to help this team. Sure his role is to be a fighter because he doesn't haven't nothing else. Come playoffs he's useless. If these are the type of moves the Habs are going to make. I expect maybe a cup in the year 3000.

Last edited by LastRide: 03-05-2012 at 11:51 PM.
LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:45 PM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Because we haven't had one legit NHL enforcer who fights 20 times a year in a long time (Laraque doesn't count, he failed).
Can't wait to see the number of posts when you get a legitimate center like a Getzlaf or Kessler. Probably overload the boards.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:14 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
When Staubitz fought Brown in the TO game. It was the turning point in the game Habs leading 1-0. It was a pretty even tilt, but some may say Brown may have had the edge in the fight. Obvously it didn't help the Habs cause they never scored again. Toronto scored a few after that. Was it the fight or something else that that gave Toronto the boost.
Yes this is exactly why the Habs didn't score another goal. And it has nothing to do with the little scoring talent on this team.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

A guy like him is needed. Whether it's 4th line or 13th forward. Now, I don't think he's the end of the world and that we shouldn't revisit who will be available at UFA time. 'Cause there might be better players and fighters than him. I seriously hope we don't make him a priority the way Gainey did with Aaron Downey and Garth Murray....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Waste of a roster spot, no matter how great his lotion feels on the wounds of Habs players this season.
And that has unfortunately been this management's mentality for too long already. Who care what the players need or want? Send them to war with their pellet guns and fend for themselves!

I for one am glad to see the team slowly get bigger and tougher and while Staubitz might (or might not) be a short term solution, he (and White and Moen if he comes back) is needed in order to help protect not only the Habs good players, but the young guys trying to make a mark for themselves.

As Ryan White said after beating up on Veilleux the other night, gone are the times when people took liberties at Carey Price. That's North-American hockey, a main difference with IIHF. That's what many here love, including the players (98% at least).

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Slightly off topic but I think it is relevant:

----------

(Junior hockey fights could be banned: CHL commissioner...

... Canadian Hockey League commissioner David Branch told the New York Times on Monday that “the appetite is there” to eliminate fighting. Branch wasn’t available on Tuesday to discuss what type of rule changes could be proposed to ban fighting, but told the Times “the time is certainly right to move forward.”
...)

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Jun...771/story.html

----------

Imo within 5 years the NHL will join the rest of the pro sports leagues around the world and ban fighting... about time!

----------

(... "We're definitely very serious in making advancements in studying blows to the head, we have to also look at fighting," said Shanahan.

"What the final decision is, I can't tell you now, that's something we're obviously going to have to look at, but there's no way we would ever deny that it's not something we're looking at closely," he added...
)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity...-fighting.html

----------

Btw I dislike players like Staubitz (clowns imo) but I wish for soon to be UFA Barret Jackman and Zenon Konopka.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I wouldn't associate Artyukhin with grit. He is big and has skill but shows up one game out of 3 and is not a team player. He isn't a guy that will fight to defend teammates, he will fight to defend himself.
Sure but I think he would fit on a third line. Wich I associate with grit and skill to counter the other teams' top lines.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Staubitz is good at fighting, he enjoys it and so is White, but to me Moen is still the best fighter on team. It's good to have three guys who can win a fight, i think the last time we had that was when Rivet, Komisarek, Bouillon and Souray were patroling our blue line with Muray and Bégin on the fourth.
Moen is not a good fighter. The guy usualy survives fights, never win any. And he doesn't seem to particularly like it or look for it.

Old
03-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Would really, really prefer if the emergence of guys like Geoffrion, and White, in addition to the presence of MaxPac, and Cole (and previously A.Kost, even) meant a guy like Staubitz had no need on this team. Would be even better if a guy like Bourque did what so many promised he would and bring some kind of extra sandpaper and size towards similar ends, lol. I can't help but think that if our defense had a little more assertive toughness up and down, we wouldn't really need a forward to pop on the ice for 5 mins or so each night just to remind other teams there's a sheriff in town.

Unfortunetly we live in reality.

Old
03-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Hugo Sham

so staubitz is a 'waste'? explain to me why 'elite' teams have room for not one but even two of these 'wastes'?

NYR: had prust and rupp and bickell but found it necessary to trade for scott
NJ: boulton, jannsen
Boston: thornton, mcquaid + lucic, chara
Fla - trades for barch
Pitt - asham and engelland
philly = rinaldo, shelley, letisto
ottawa- carkner, neil, smith and konopka
winnipeg - glass and thorburn

all top 8 teams in east. i can go on

Hugo Sham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
so staubitz is a 'waste'? explain to me why 'elite' teams have room for not one but even two of these 'wastes'?

Fla - trades for barch

Grit definitly pretty much transformed the Rangers and the Sens this year. It gave them a backbone.

Old
03-06-2012, 08:11 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

Fla - trades for barch

and you could add bottom feeders as well... so, what's your point ? makes them better ? sure... as much as it makes ALL the other teams better...

besides, Staubitz is set to be UFA July 1st... would have been better trying out a younger guy (from Hamilton) to see if he can do the same for us next season... or better... call up a few youngsters and see how they do, since they're the future of this team, not Staubitz.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:18 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:

Fla - trades for barch

I hope Staubitz transforms himself into chara next year. Then into Lucic the year after. Then we can hire Carcillo, and he can take Price's role in nets. Imagine, goaltender who can fight heavyweights, so indispensable.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

Fla - trades for barch

A lot of those players (especially, and not coincidentally, the ones you find on the actual 'good' teams) can actually play hockey, too. Staubitz cannot. The guys bolded above either skate regular shifts (4th line in most cases, obviously) and/or get the odd special teams (PK, whatever) because they at least have NHL level skills in departments other than just pugilism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Unfortunetly we live in reality.
I don't know what to make of this statement. You go on to highlight the importance of added "backbone" in NYR and Ottawa, and a lot of that was on the blueline, which is precisely where I was advocating to start adding toughness first.

Old
03-06-2012, 08:31 PM
coolasprICE

If I understand correctly......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................. nearly 600 posts on Staubitz? edit: this is 600!!

Insert Staubitz instead of playoffs

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote