HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Turnover should start with Regier

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronr28 View Post
curious to see how Bucky spins today
The theme will be that a team that was already otherwise small and soft just got smaller and softer, with his patented backhanded nod: "The 1st rounder and Hodgson are nice pieces, BUT..."

Book it.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:41 PM
punkr0x

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2020 View Post
I predict "darcy read my article so he decided to make some deals."

Really, he'll come up with the same, 'no impact player to help win now', 'one year doesn't make up for many years or poor deadline days', 'Kassian could be the greatest power forward of all time and Cory could flame out so we have to wait years before we know if he *really* won that trade', and he'll round it out with a 'Gragnani is is +10 and much better than Sabres fans give him credit for'...

I'm pretty sure the Buffalo News has a template for these things now.
"If we had kept Drury and Briere, we wouldn't need to trade our best prospect for an unproven rookie center" is my bet.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:46 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Because he's soft, doesn't get the crowd fired up and represents the same old, same old. Jesus Christ, if you can't even change the anthem singer, how is real change possible elsewhere?
That is hilarious. I want a rock hard anthem singer!!!

Old
02-27-2012, 03:48 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Dear Bucky,

How you like them apples?

Sincerely,

Darth Regier

Old
02-27-2012, 03:50 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
That is hilarious. I want a rock hard anthem singer!!!
Absolutely. Blow the stink off the joint. Scare the bejesus out of those postmenopausal women in the front row!

Old
02-27-2012, 03:50 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

I still stand by saying Darcy needs to go. Darcy didn't fleece anybody today.

Why I think the trades were even:

-Gaustad was worth a second, most people thought. A first, minus a fourth, is about on par with that. I admit, I was actually pleasantly surprised, but this wasn't a steal. It was a more creative way to get about the same value from the draft.

-Kassian was supposed to be everything intangible about this team that it lacked. He was still blue chip and only in his first professional season. Vancouver got taught the hard way last year in the finals how much value truculence has. Hodgson is the better player right now, but he's also a year older. In addition, Gragnani isn't a total bust either - we lost some prospect value when we traded him for an older player also on the outside of the top 6 defenders on his team. In all, we addressed a need at center, but we didn't increase our long term talent pool much.

Darcy did alright today, but he didn't silence his critics. What type of players Kassian and Hodgson are in 5 years (and whether we're still saying the Sabres are soft and spineless) is going to determine who wins this trade.

What didn't Darcy do, by the way? **** with the core. Gaustad was something, but he was by all accounts the afterthought of the Roy-Pommers-Vanek-Stafford-Miller-Goose set. The culture of this team, this year has been lethargic and unaccountable, and he wasn't bold enough to make a value-for-value hockey move with someone in the core who was worth something. It's been five years of moving complimentary pieces around these same guys without them leading, and Darcy showed today that he's still enamored with them and wants to keep them to centerpiece of the franchise.

Ask yourself how comfortable you are with that. Ask yourself if you'd pick this team to make the playoffs next year as it's currently composed. He made a couple decent moves, but he's still the architect of the stalest team in hockey.

Last edited by haseoke39: 02-27-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old
02-27-2012, 03:51 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
"If we had kept Drury and Briere, we wouldn't need to trade our best prospect for an unproven rookie center" is my bet.
He wouldn't write "we." He's not a fanboi. He's probably not slightly soiled right now like a lot of fans are.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post

-Gaustad was worth a second, most people thought. A first, minus a fourth, is about on par with that. I admit, I was actually pleasantly surprised, but this wasn't a steal. It was a more creative way to get about the same value from the draft.

-Kassian was supposed to be everything intangible about this team that it lacked. He was still blue chip and only in his first professional season. Vancouver got taught the hard way last year in the finals how much value truculence has. Hodgson is the better player right now, but he's also a year older. In addition, Gragnani isn't a total bust either - we lost some prospect value when we traded him for an older player also on the outside of the top 6 defenders on his team. In all, we addressed a need at center, but we didn't increase our long term talent pool much.

Darcy did alright today, but he didn't silence his critics. What type of players Kassian and Hodgson are in 5 years (and whether we're still saying the Sabres are soft and spineless) is going to determine who wins this trade.

What didn't Darcy do, by the way? **** with the core. Gaustad was something, but he was by all accounts the afterthought of the Roy-Pommers-Vanek-Stafford-Miller-Goose set. The culture of this team, this year has been lethargic and unaccountable, and he wasn't bold enough to make a value-for-value hockey move with someone in the core who was worth something. It's been five years of moving complimentary pieces around these same guys without them leading, and Darcy showed today that he's still enamored with them and wants to keep them to centerpiece of the franchise.

Ask yourself how comfortable you are with that. Ask yourself if you'd pick this team to make the playoffs next year as it's currently composed. He made a couple decent moves, but he's still the architect of the stalest team in hockey.
Darcy got a first rounder for Paul Gaustad.

He got Cody Hodgson, a top six center rookie who's already producing in the NHL, for a defenseman most of us came to loathe and Kassian, who hasn't proved anything in the NHL yet. I'll take actual production over potential ANY day of the week. In a vacuum, Vancouver doesn't make that trade. They do in reality because of the need for some grit. Darcy made 'em pay. Hodgson's not a joke. He's producing, NOW, at our position of weakness.

Goose was a UFA - Stafford and Roy aren't. He gets another crack at that during the offseason. No problem with not trading those guys at this point.

We're going to be walking into the draft with Derek Roy and two firsts to wave around to either move up in the draft or grab an existing NHL-ready center.

I'm very comfortable with that.

As far as I'm concerned, this team is better RIGHT NOW, nevermind the great position we'll be in to further improve at the draft / offseason.

Darcy got his cake and ate it, too.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:30 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Turnover should start with Regier
Anyone else think when they saw this thread title and replace Regier with Gragnani?

Old
02-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Sabretip

Quote:

I agree with you - Regier (or his replacement) has a lot of work to do this summer before this team is truly a legit contender. Dismantling the core should be chore # 1.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I agree with you - Regier (or his replacement) has a lot of work to do this summer before this team is truly a legit contender. Dismantling the core should be chore # 1.
I think today was Step 1 of taking apart some of the core. I was startled when I heard Regier say there weren't even contract negotiations between Goose's camp and the team. I also think acquiring Hodgson is a harbinger for Roy's departure, as well. Though he has work to do, I'm getting the sense that they believe Ennis can hack it at center--though he's going to need to play sheltered minutes and get offensive zone starts--and Hodgson is more of the two-way complement to Ennis. I expect they'll do what they have to do to draft one of the G-centers, as well. I think Roy + either NSH's 1st or BUF's 2nd are gone prior to the draft, either for another center or to get some skilled physicality in the top-6.

I expect Miller, Pominville, and Vanek to survive the summer.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:41 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:

....I stopped believing that your post had any logic or hockey knowledge when you implied that a 1st round pick is equal to a 2nd+4th.....are you saying you would trade our first for a 2nd plus a 4th?

Old
02-27-2012, 04:49 PM
LGB24

Quote:
Absolutely. Blow the stink off the joint. Scare the bejesus out of those postmenopausal women in the front row!
If you're playing in the NHL and get scared by an anthem singer so much so that it affects your game then you don't deserve to be a professional athlete. Your argument to get rid of our anthem singer is ridiculous especially when half the arenas in the league have an 8 year old girl singing the anthem. Get a clue

Old
02-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think today was Step 1 of taking apart some of the core. I was startled when I heard Regier say there weren't even contract negotiations between Goose's camp and the team.
I haven't listened to the interviews yet but I am really surprised to hear that - especially when it was reported last weekend that the two met and it wasn't about any trade scenarios. The logical conclusion was that it had to do with contract, which seemed bolstered by the reports the Sabres were interested in negotiating with him. And May's tweet about the 5-6 year term must have been from some discussions....if he didn't get wind of it through the Sabres, he must have some friends who know Gaustad.

Quote:
I also think acquiring Hodgson is a harbinger for Roy's departure, as well. Though he has work to do, I'm getting the sense that they believe Ennis can hack it at center--though he's going to need to play sheltered minutes and get offensive zone starts--and Hodgson is more of the two-way complement to Ennis. I expect they'll do what they have to do to draft one of the G-centers, as well. I think Roy + either NSH's 1st or BUF's 2nd are gone prior to the draft, either for another center or to get some skilled physicality in the top-6.
Interesting take - I could see it happening like that.

Quote:
I expect Miller, Pominville, and Vanek to survive the summer.
I expect all 3 to remain Sabres for as long as Regier and Ruff are in charge. If Gaustad is not resigned and Roy / Stafford are moved in the offseason, they will effectively claim that they have changed their core enough.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:07 PM
aaronr28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
If you're playing in the NHL and get scared by an anthem singer so much so that it affects your game then you don't deserve to be a professional athlete. Your argument to get rid of our anthem singer is ridiculous especially when half the arenas in the league have an 8 year old girl singing the anthem. Get a clue
good stuff here.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:10 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Sorry, you're kind of missing an inside joke. We've been joking about all the things that were stale with the team, and Doug's been singing the anthem for a long time, so we joked to get rid of him along with everything else that represents "the status quo."

Old
02-27-2012, 05:12 PM
LGB24

Quote:
Sorry, you're kind of missing an inside joke. We've been joking about all the things that were stale with the team, and Doug's been singing the anthem for a long time, so we joked to get rid of him along with everything else that represents "the status quo."
no I understand that joke, but Puckish originally brought up Doug Allen to be fired which led to all the inside jokes of random firing within the organization. Puckish truly believe Doug Allen's firing will improve our organization

Old
02-27-2012, 05:21 PM
MGIII
Legendary

We finally get another true, top 6 center and the first thing people look forward to is getting rid of Roy?

I don't understand, beyond the fact people just dislike him.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:22 PM
puckish66

Quote:
I meant the postmenopausal women in the stands, not the ones on our bench -- or the one behind it with brittle bones.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:22 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
....I stopped believing that your post had any logic or hockey knowledge when you implied that a 1st round pick is equal to a 2nd+4th.....are you saying you would trade our first for a 2nd plus a 4th?
Bingo! Talk about pushing an agenda. Maybe he's Bucky?

Darcy pulled a first for a pending UFA and addressed our biggest team weakness - Center. Yes, we have some serious size issues to address this summer, and we could still upgrade at center, but adding size should be relatively easy, and the extra 1st and 2nd gives us a lot of trade options.

I believe that Darcy will explore trading Roy, but I don't think he'll dump him without spectacular return. On the other hand, picking up Hodgson, and Ennis's surprising success at center make it a lot easier to deal Roy. Hopefully, Luke will take a step forward next year.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:31 PM
puckish66

Quote:
no I understand that joke, but Puckish originally brought up Doug Allen to be fired which led to all the inside jokes of random firing within the organization. Puckish truly believe Doug Allen's firing will improve our organization
I believe changing the atmosphere in the arena would play a small part in helping the team on the ice, and the anthem singer is a small part of game presentation.

The larger point is that not even being willing to change anthem singers is symbolic of an owner who came in married to the status quo.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:33 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Depends on where the picks are. Nashville's pick, if the draft were held today, would be 25th. It's almost a second rounder. This is a draft year where, so they say, after the first few picks, you've got a lot of middling prospects. I would consider trading the 25th pick in that kind of draft for, say, the 45th (average second rounder, which is what we were comparing Goose to being worth) and the 125th (high fourth, or where the Sabres might pick if they were to repeat this year). Once you get past the first round of great prospects, which is thin this year, there's not a lot gauranteed. Having twice as many picks in the crapshoot range is nothing to sneeze at.

Would I do it? Probably not, but it's not a fleece. People are being a bit silly when they keep saying we got a 1st for Gaustad as if that other pick wasn't involved.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:34 PM
LGB24

Quote:
I believe changing the atmosphere in the arena would play a small part in helping the team on the ice, and the anthem singer is a small part of game presentation.

The larger point is that not even being willing to change anthem singers is symbolic of an owner who came in married to the status quo.
By that logic not firing the hot dog vendor is symbolic of an owner who came in married tot he status quo.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:35 PM
MGIII
Legendary

Quote:
It really isn't. You're reaching.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Vito_81

Darcy saved his job today. Argument can be made he was already pretty safe heading into next season anyways. But the fact remains that at the very worst he turned a top prospect/young winger with top 6 upside into a top prospect/young center with 1C upside on a team very much lacking down the middle. Definite win

Getting a first for Gaustad, who probably walks in the offseason for a contract worth far more than he is is great.

As has been mentioned before. Walking into draft time in June with 2 firsts, 2 seconds and potentially expendable pieces like Roy and Stafford is a very strong position to be in. Hell, he could walk out of the draft with Roy and Stafford having just made the picks and it's still a very good situation for the Sabres future.

Closed Thread