HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hall VS Ovechkin

Old
11-24-2011, 02:19 PM
vincent780

vCash: 500
Hall VS Ovechkin

Hey,

First time posting on here, been having a debate with my friends.

Heard Doug McLean on team 1260 saying that he would rather have hall than ovechkin and i agreed with that statement.

So my question is, Who in the long term would you rather have, Hall or Ovechkin?

And if someone could help turn this into a poll question that would be great.

Thanks.

vincent780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:22 PM
c4fn8d

Is this a troll thread?

If not, until Hall scores 65 goals in 82 games, I take Ovechkin.

c4fn8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Koto

so tough to say, hall obviously hasnt proven ****, but ovie hasnt been able to lead his team to a cup, or even a final 4.

i know it sounds retarded, but im inclined to agree atm...

and i never expect hall to score 65, or get 100 points

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:25 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Hall is one of my favourite players, but this is Ovechkin were talking about. When the man is on his game, you can't stop him, only limit the damage. I'd be thrilled if Hall can put up Ovi's sophomore numbers (his second worst season). It's Ovechkin, not close IMO.

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:30 PM
vincent780

Its not a troll thread, honest question.

In my opinion ya Ovechkin is the better player now, and over the past couple years ovi has been a dominant force.

But ever since the montreal series 2 yrs ago he is been kind of spirling down. He is still a great player but not that elite player like Crosby, Datsyuk who are actually leaders.

I just think Hall in 3 for years will continually get better and eventually he will dominate the league, the kids work ethic is great as is his attitude. I am just speculating but it seems like Ovi doesnt care as much maybe its the coaching.

Old
11-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

I love Hall and all but this isn't even close.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
At this point I would not trade Hall for Ovechkin, but if I were starting a new team, I would choose Ovechkin.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent780 View Post

In my opinion ya Ovechkin is the better player now, and over the past couple years ovi has been a dominant force.

But ever since the montreal series 2 yrs ago he is been kind of spirling down. He is still a great player but not that elite player like Crosby, Datsyuk who are actually leaders.

I just think Hall in 3 for years will continually get better and eventually he will dominate the league, the kids work ethic is great as is his attitude. I am just speculating but it seems like Ovi doesnt care as much maybe its the coaching.
You answered your own question. Ovi right now until Hall proves he can be that level of player and bring the leadership.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitarxplyr View Post
At this point I would not trade Hall for Ovechkin, but if I were starting a new team, I would choose Ovechkin.
This is probably the best way of saying it.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:36 PM
vincent780

Ok, that leads me to my next question than,

Would you trade hall for ovechkin

what upside do you think hall has?

Old
11-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Perfect_Drug

?

Wow. I'm surprised there's actually a debate about this.

Hall is second fiddle on this team to RNH. Heck, he's currently the second best LW on this team after Smyth.

Ovechkin would easily be the best forward on this team, and win a few more Rocket Richards, Harts, and possibly Art ross. You guys are completely mental if you think Hall > Ovechkin. Ovechkin would immediately make this team a playoff threat, and all the players would take notice, and want to sign here because of him. (Especially the russians).

Would make that trade in a heartbeat, and gladly throw in Omark, Gagner, MPS, Strippers, and Blow.

Perfect_Drug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Psychoil

This is dumb, Ovechkin over hall any way u put.

Whoever thinks otherwise should give their head a shake

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Oilers10

Look, I love Ovie more than most but I gotta say. His career is not progressing. He's getting worse as his career goes along. Hall I feel has that drive and determination (somewhat like Toews and Sid) to get better every year. He really cares.

I live in Vancouver and after the Washington game in Edmonton, Ovie was in a Vancouver bar 3 hours later. Like actually in the bar 3 hours after the game had ended.

Once again Ovie is awesome, he's entertaining, and I believe he has 25 goals in 37 playoff games so his rep as a playoff choker is not really accurate. However, he doesn't seem to want to be better which Hall does so I kinda get what Maclean is saying,

Oilers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:51 PM
Koto

personally i think they both face the same problem: you can't carry a team on your back from the wing, you only really make a difference at one end of the ice

which is why we should move hall to center

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 03:14 PM
oilphan

OV please

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Hall has a long way to go to reach Ovechkin levels of play, even in his worst season of his career (last year).

11-24-2011, 03:17 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Hey,

First time posting on here, been having a debate with my friends.

Heard Doug McLean on team 1260 saying that he would rather have hall than ovechkin and i agreed with that statement.

So my question is, Who in the long term would you rather have, Hall or Ovechkin?

And if someone could help turn this into a poll question that would be great.

Thanks.
what? lol... you can't be serious... are you sure you heard doug mclean correctly? i know he says some pretty crazy stuff, but this is *ridiculous*.... ovi is essentially a generational sniper and hall is an average 1st overall pick... ovi >>>> hall

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 03:18 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
?

Wow. I'm surprised there's actually a debate about this.

Hall is second fiddle on this team to RNH. Heck, he's currently the second best LW on this team after Smyth.

Ovechkin would easily be the best forward on this team, and win a few more Rocket Richards, Harts, and possibly Art ross. You guys are completely mental if you think Hall > Ovechkin. Ovechkin would immediately make this team a playoff threat, and all the players would take notice, and want to sign here because of him. (Especially the russians).

Would make that trade in a heartbeat, and gladly throw in Omark, Gagner, MPS, Strippers, and Blow.
haha, couldn't agree more

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Wrecker99

I'm not even sure I would Hall over Seguin yet, let alone Ovechkin.
But this is Maclean so.....

Wrecker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Ragss

Ovie is faster, bigger, stronger, has better hands, better shot in a bunch of ways and he throws big hits.

I love Hall, but I can't think of any single thing he does better except maybe speak english. He isn't as ugly, either.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Eirhead*

The new NHL is all about cap-efficiency! So far this season:

Taylor Hall = $65,000 / point (assuming he collects every bonus, it could be less!!!)
Alexander Ovechkin = $145,000 / point

I rest my case.

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 04:46 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Markkanen View Post
Look, I love Ovie more than most but I gotta say. His career is not progressing. He's getting worse as his career goes along. Hall I feel has that drive and determination (somewhat like Toews and Sid) to get better every year. He really cares.

I live in Vancouver and after the Washington game in Edmonton, Ovie was in a Vancouver bar 3 hours later. Like actually in the bar 3 hours after the game had ended.

Once again Ovie is awesome, he's entertaining, and I believe he has 25 goals in 37 playoff games so his rep as a playoff choker is not really accurate. However, he doesn't seem to want to be better which Hall does so I kinda get what Maclean is saying,
I'm assuming your saying that your impressed he stayed at the rink for that long before heading to the bar?

You'd be suprised the record time some of the Oilers can make it to the bar in.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 05:04 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Ovechkin by a fair margin. Hall is probably a better leader but I think Ovechkin has him beat everywhere else.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 05:05 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
I'm assuming your saying that your impressed he stayed at the rink for that long before heading to the bar?

You'd be suprised the record time some of the Oilers can make it to the bar in.
If he was in a bar in a city that's a 1.5hr flight away 3 hrs after a game, that's gotta be close to a record.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 0
Quote:

Sorry dude. I think Hall is an excellent talent, but not in the same league as Ovechkin. I'd say hall is almost like a mini-ovi, partly in way they tend to try to hard to do it themselves, and in the process cost their team scoring chances.

if Washington called and offered Ovi for Hall straight up, I'm sure there would be no shortage of people offing to drive Hall to the airport.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote