HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

[EDM/MIN] Tom Gilbert Traded For Nick Schultz

View Poll Results: Did you like the Gilbert trade
Yes 63 70.00%
No 27 30.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Well one thing this trade does do is eliminate a body from the Lowe era that was deemed un-moveable at one point. Only really contract hindering ST from the Lowe era is Horcoff.
The more I think about that, the more I think he's going to be bought out.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Soundwave

Schultz better be able to move the puck.

The plus side is if he can't, when Whitney gets hurt again, we've got to be looking like the odds on favorite for MacKinnon next year.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Digger12

Best part of the day?

The Nucks fans in my office were razzing me mercilessly about this trade...then the Kassian trade went down.

The jocularity has died down somewhat. They're now trying to talk themselves into believing that Kassian will be the next Lucic. When I told them that he could be their next Torres, they started swearing a lot.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Best part of the day?

The Nucks fans in my office were razzing me mercilessly about this trade...then the Kassian trade went down.

The jocularity has died down somewhat. They're now trying to talk themselves into believing that Kassian will be the next Lucic. When I told them that he could be their next Torres, they started swearing a lot.
Even if Kassian turns into Lucic, Hodgson has rich man's Patrice Bergeron written all over him.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I doubt that the absence of Tom Gilbert is going to be the difference between us making actual strides next year or picking MacKinnon. If so, things are infinitely worse than I thought.

Old
Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Maybe I'm just optimistic, but I hope this signals some actual forethought by Tambellini. Maybe he knows the top upcoming UFA defensemen are all offensive-minded, so he trades for a defensive guy first in preparation for making an offer to one of those UFAs this summer.
You definitely place more faith in Tambellini than I do, but one can hope...

On one hand, I don't look too fondly on this trade. Value-wise, I think Minnesota comes out on top, although Schultz does seem to provide a little of what the Oilers lack (especially after reading a few of Oilbleeder's posts). But, this move also leaves the Oilers heavy on LHD and painfully short on the right side. Petry and Potter as the top 2 RHD's? Yikes. It's clear that the #1 priority this summer is a bonifide #1 RHD. No question. Good luck with that, Tambellini.

On the other hand, I view Gilbert in a similar light to Jay Bouwmeester - a good all-around defenseman, but not terribly hard to play against. This teams needs to stop bleeding goals against and hopefully Schultz can help in that respect.

Old
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Could very well happen. I just see this now as a team that ST has pretty much made from the ground up. He's keep the guys he wanted and moved the guys he didn't.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I doubt that the absence of Tom Gilbert is going to be the difference between us making actual strides next year or picking MacKinnon. If so, things are infinitely worse than I thought.
QFT again haha. I've warmed up to this trade once I see the pairings

Smid - Petry
Schultz - Whitney

That's not too terrible, and we cant be "planning" for Whitney to miss the next season. That's dumb, and we might as well just waive him then

Old
02-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Oil Gauge

I'll take a wait and see approach to this trade. While Gilbert was coming into his own this season he was always still a soft defensive player.

It will be nice to add another D-man like Smid in Schultz.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Do you remember how awful everything looked the year after we dealt Pronger? That was because no one off our back could make a good outlet pass to all the forwards we had.

Old
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Could very well happen. I just see this now as a team that ST has pretty much made from the ground up. He's keep the guys he wanted and moved the guys he didn't.
Actually yeah, lol

When you think about the previous era bodies moved out, and I'm sure a I'll miss some.

Nilsson
Cogliano
Moreau
Pisani
Souray
Staios (I think that was him)
JFJ
JDD

and now Gilbert
it's a major culture shift.

The best case scenario with Horcoff is still convincing him to retire.

Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Tom Gilbert has never been that great at moving the puck quickly and effectively up the ice. "Puck moving" defenceman is his so-called niche, but I've never seen any indication that he was actually all that good at it.
Its not only the PMD that you miss with Gilbert out but the guy that can make plays in the offensive end, read the play well, jump in low and handle the puck like another forward. A lot of our sustained pressure in offensive end has been through D like
Gilbert jumping up into the play to retain puck pressure, possession.

Again I'll point out a play yesterday that seemingly nobody noticed. A brilliant pass off to hemsky(disguised as shot) that gave Hemsky and outsanding scoring chance to tie the game.

Thats the kind of thing you get with Gilbert. With Shultz you'll quickly be wincing at his ability in the offensive zone.

Some comments as well. People are making out like Schultz was the great shutdown D for Lemaire or something. Thats a pile of ****. Guys like Willie Mitchell were the traffic clearing graders on that club.

As Bugg mentioned earlier Schultz has had a not so great year with Minny switching up their game under a new coach.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Whitney and Shultz are both LHD.

Currently our pairings would be with Shultz:

Smid-Petry
Shultz-Potter
Whitney-Peckham/Sutton

One of Peckham or Sutton will have to play on their off side or we'll have to call up Teubert.

02-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I don't think he will at all. He's here for 3 more years after this gobbling up ice time unless the team stays remarkably healthy and he can actually stay on the 3rd line (even then this is a misnomer because even if technically he is on the 3rd line he still gets pp time and all the pk time.) The only remote possibility of him being bought out would be in his last year in my opinion when we face other contracts coming up.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:25 PM
misfit

Quote:
Soooo many fans are overvaluing Tom freaking Gilbert.
Our #2 RD is Corey Potter

...just give that a minute to sink in.

CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I don't think he will at all. He's here for 3 more years after this gobbling up ice time unless the team stays remarkably healthy and he can actually stay on the 3rd line (even then this is a misnomer because even if technically he is on the 3rd line he still gets pp time and all the pk time.) The only remote possibility of him being bought out would be in his last year in my opinion when we face other contracts coming up.
and that will be the year he will actually be tradeable as his albatross will be ending

Old
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Whitney and Shultz are both LHD.

Currently our pairings would be with Shultz:

Smid-Petry
Shultz-Potter
Whitney-Peckham/Sutton

One of Peckham or Sutton will have to play on their off side or we'll have to call up Teubert.
I think Schultz can play RD. Not every RD has to play with a right-handed stick.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:26 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
QFT again haha. I've warmed up to this trade once I see the pairings

Smid - Petry
Schultz - Whitney

That's not too terrible, and we cant be "planning" for Whitney to miss the next season. That's dumb, and we might as well just waive him then
Not too terrible?

Petry in the top pair? 3 weeks ago all the talk was about how this guy is in over his head due to injuries and now he's slotted in the top pair?

No it's pretty terrible.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post

Because Tambilini doesn't have 7 months till next season to find a #2D???

Old
02-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post

Is he? Is he really?

Old
02-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Because Tambilini doesn't have 7 months till next season to find a #2D???
At this point, Tambellini needs to add Shea frickin Weber (without any subtraction to the defense) in order to make this D-corps respectable.

Old
02-27-2012, 03:32 PM
jadeddog

the only way this makes any sense to me at all is if tambo thinks we have a really good shot at an offensive-type right handed D this summer (wideman comes to mind)... but if thats the case, we're in some serious trouble, because last i checked, we don't exactly attract UFAs in droves

having a right side of petry, potter, barker and tuebert is pretty pathetic.... it also leaves us with only petry and whitney as PMD (i suppose you could argue potter isn't terrible as well).... where is the offence going to come from?

what i'm *really* scared of, is that the oilers management is going to repeat the mistake they make all the freaking time... thinking a young player who has played well for 20 games is ready to become a difference maker... this player is petry... yes, petry has looked good, yes, he'll likely continue to improve at his age/experiece... but we sure are banking an AWFUL LOT on his development if we aren't going to try for another RHD (such as the aforementioned wideman)

at this point its UFA signing or bust, and that *always* works out well for the oilers right? right??

Old
02-27-2012, 03:34 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
This also could be an indication EDM will be looking to draft a more offensive defenseman this up coming draft (i.e. Dumba).
Yep, that was exactly what i thought although i would say it's Murray then Dumba on their wishlist. I have a feeling that folks will be disappointed and that this was Tambo's big move to shore up the top 4. I hope that i'm wrong, i just hope that they don't rush Murray/Dumba into the league.

Old
OilerFan4Life

Oilers will acquire a PMD in the off-season.

Old
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
If there's an amnesty clause in the next CBA that allows a team to buy-out a player without a cap penalty, you can rest easy knowing Horcoff will be bought out. The major flaw in your reasoning is that it's not the coach's concern what a player's contract looks like. They're going to play a guy in whatever manner they see fit. But if a player's contract is as out of whack with the production as Horcoff's clearly is, and a GM is given an opportunity to erase it, then you've got to think he'll take it.

I'm a Horcoff fan, and Tambellini isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but a Horcoff buyout is a no-brainer.

Closed Thread