HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/MIN] Tom Gilbert Traded For Nick Schultz

View Poll Results: Did you like the Gilbert trade
Yes 63 70.00%
No 27 30.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2012, 06:50 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
I agree he should be a better defender, I disagree this swap improves the team in any signifcant way, if at all.
This teams biggest issue is goals against. Schultz will help that cause. Based on limited viewings his breakout game is as good if not better than Gilberts.
Gilberts offensive contribution this season has been almost negligible (approx .28 ppg from a team perspective) and yet the team offence has not suffered at all. Primarily because Petry has helped pick up the offensive slack.

Of course it isn't a slam dunk that Petry is going to keep progressing but at 24 I think its a good bet that he will exceed Gilbert in every aspect by next season. Quite honestly his ceiling is higher than Gilberts. Which means that moving forward with Petrys development curve and an additional shutdown dman that the defence will be improved.
I think this is taking half a step back to take 1 forward...its a very calculated risk that will pay dividends IMO.
Much better than some of the other moves Tambo has made.
I wont miss Gilbert and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see his game falter in Minnesota.
I would still like to see an additional top 4 dman and a capable #1 goaltender added to the roster but I like where this is going.

Old
02-28-2012, 06:58 PM
copperandblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Primarily because Petry has helped pick up the offensive slack.

Of course it isn't a slam dunk that Petry is going to keep progressing but at 24 I think its a good bet that he will exceed Gilbert in every aspect by next season. Quite honestly his ceiling is higher than Gilberts. Which means that moving forward with Petrys development curve and an additional shutdown dman that the defence will be improved.
I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

One question though, with all the Petry praise going on (not just by you) what do you think the Wild's reaction would have been if Tambellini offered Petry for Schultz straight up like he did with Gilbert?

Old
02-28-2012, 07:08 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

One question though, with all the Petry praise going on (not just by you) what do you think the Wild's reaction would have been if Tambellini offered Petry for Schultz straight up like he did with Gilbert?
For me the job of a GM is all about calculated risks...slam dunks are a rare breed.
I would not have been happy with a Petry for Schultz deal in the long term.
I don't understand the Gilbert love on this board this season considering how polarized the board was against Gilbert last season and the season before.
It does pose a question though...which Tom Gilbert was just traded? Who is the real Tom Gilbert...this years player or the player from the previous 2 years? I am going with the larger sample size which is the previous 2 years...thats the Gilbert I am suggesting that Minnesota received. Thats a large part of why I think the Oilers did just fine in this deal.

Closed Thread