HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/MIN] Tom Gilbert Traded For Nick Schultz

View Poll Results: Did you like the Gilbert trade
Yes 63 70.00%
No 27 30.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 01:26 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Disregard Gagner for Green because I thought he had a lower cap hit.
Especially for a guy that makes Hemsky look like an ironman

Old
02-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Sayuri

vCash: 500
I like it. Keeping the puck out of the net has been a huge issue. I believe with the upcoming draft and our current prospects offense from the back end will not be a problem. Right now? Maybe....but not moving forward.

Old
02-27-2012, 01:27 PM
ponokanocker

Look at how well Smid makes his defence partner look(Gilbert, now Petry). Now we had 2 Smid's.

Old
April Ethereal
You are Wrong

vCash: 407
Apparently Minny's locker room is absolutely stunned. I hope this isn't a sign that he doesn't have any interest in being here.

Old
No Good Names Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
What's wrong with you guys? Any trade that we make on D is a good trade outside of Smid and Petry. Our defence is trash and change in personnel is welcome.

Gilbert made some strides defensively this season but he was still painfully average on the defensive side of the puck and with that his offensive game disappeared.

Jacques Lemaire loved Nick Schultz and leaned heavily on him when he was coaching the Wild.
Finally, someone with some brains. Gilbert seemed to give the puck away at the worst time. Schultz is more of a quiet, go about your business kinda guy. Him and Smid killing penalties will be great. Finally we have two dmen we can put out at the end of a game.

Old
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Absolutely kills me on this board. Everyone says how putrid our defence is, and how gutless Tambo is, and then we trade for a true blue shutdown dman that we deperately needed and everyone freaks. Take a deep breath people, and give it some time. We still have all our kids, last I looked.
Nick Schultz is ranked 5th among Minny's Dman with TOI per game. Doesn't really scream great shut down Dman to me.

Old
elpol
Re-Registered User

I think this is a good one for the Oil. Petry makes Gilbert expendable. There's nice org. depth on the farm. They desperately need a D-man who can and will defend first. Gilby made a nice step up this season, but Shultz is already established as a defend-first D-man. And as much as many of you might suggest, I don't think that Gilbert has quite nailed that top-4 fully completely just yet. Shultz has and is a top-4.

Good deal for both clubs.

Old
02-27-2012, 01:28 PM
CupofOil
Visualizing

I gotta say that i do like the idea of a Schultz-Petry pairing, he could make up for a lot of the mistakes that Petry makes by trying to create offense and i like the fact that he seems like a great teammate as evidenced by the Wild player reactions to the trade.
We still need puckmovers back there though, Murray or Dumba are too young to step in and make an impact next year and i'm not quite comfortable with Petry taking on Gilbert's workload quite yet.

It has never been more imperative for Whitney to get 100% healthy again unless Tambo has another move up his sleeve.

Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I think that we've been blinded and have forgotten what an effective NHL defenceman looks like by near six years of average to incompetent/horrid personnel.

Gilbert will never be anything more than an average defenceman who's still looking to fine tune and hone his game. Schultz knows what he does best and is a fine leader to boot.

Old
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
So...Gilbert's back injury that kept him back in Edmonton...just a cover?

Old
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

This is a very good deal for the Oilers.

Gilbert is too unreliable in terms of games played and also in terms of the game he plays. Sometimes he plays like the teams best dman...sometimes he plays like a bottom pairing dman.

Both players are the same age but Schultz is much more durable and is a very strong character player. He is solid defensively and will help shore up some of the defensive issues this team has.

Schultz will give the Oilers a solid top 4 shutdown dman who has been called the glue of the Wild team. A leader.
Gilbert was none of those things.

The Oilers desperately need players of this ilk and Tambo has just acquired one.

Far be it for me to defend Tambo but this is a deal that will help this team.

Old
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Do you believe that overall Gilbert is a better defenseman than Whitney?
Not better than last year's version of Whitney. However, I believe that was a career season for Whitney. He has never been that good before and likely won't be again.

I would say right now, Gilbert is the better player.

Old
SK13
Mo'Linguish

I've got mixed feelings on this one.

Schultz for Gilbert is the exact type of deal the team needed to lose some of the chaos below the slot, but straight up? I think you dealt a right-handed, puck moving #4 for a left-handed shutdown #4. Seems you should get more value.

Ah well. It clarifies our needs. A bigger top-six LW, a mobile young top-4 and maybe a Goaltender. Our first round pick should be in play for that AFAIC.

Old
02-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post
wow, knee jerk reactions on here from posters who have no idea who Schultz is....good Alberta boy who is a near stud defensively.
Stud? Maybe under Lemaire. You've not noticed a decline in Schultz's game?

I've been meh on him for a few years now.

Old
02-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
Nick Schultz is ranked 5th among Minny's Dman with TOI per game. Doesn't really scream great shut down Dman to me.
He's only played the top ES and PK minutes on the 9th best defensive team this year.

Regher is ranked 6th on the Buf among D-man for TOI/G. Is he not a shut down guy?

02-27-2012, 01:30 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
Wtf?

Tambo got taken behind the garden shed. I mean, I like Schultz, he like Staois circa 2003, but not at that price.

We trade our #1 minute muncher for Minnesota's #5.

There has to be something else gong on.
Don't act like Gilbert is our top dman. He's played a ton of minutes because Whitney has been hurt most of the year and our defense sucks.

Old
OILSLICK94

I am begining to think that Schultz is allot like Jason "Gator" Smith as a good comparison.....

-Just from hearing the feedback from Minny, great locker room guy
-stay at home Defender....

Tough to see Gilbert go, who we got for a "song" from Colorado (Tommy Salo??)

This trade will grow on us, With Whitney/Gilbert/Potter and now Petry far to similar type of blueliners back there, Petry made Gilbert expendable.

Old
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I think that we've been blinded and have forgotten what an effective NHL defenceman looks like by near six years of average to incompetent/horrid personnel.

Gilbert will never be anything more than an average defenceman who's still looking to fine tune and hone his game. Schultz knows what he does best and is a fine leader to boot.
Exactly.

This team needs character and leadership. It needs to form an identity other than soft and speedy.
Schultz is going to help this team more than Gilbert would have.

I am very pleased with this deal.

Old
Joseppi

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Step 1: Wait 6 years for a defender to reach a certain level.

Step 2: See him reach that level.

Step 3: Trade him to a division rival.

Old
shiva

I actually said that Gilbert was going to be the surprise trade yesterday in another thread.

People forget one very important thing, and a key trait the Oilers have always used with their decisions.

A major, heart and soul type player, a leader in the room, and someone well loved. That is what we just got. TSN said that the wild players are really upset at the moment.

Take away the points, but I think we got a better player in a few areas here. This stabilizes the defense, we had too many puck movers, now we have a great balance.

Old
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Not better than last year's version of Whitney. However, I believe that was a career season for Whitney. He has never been that good before and likely won't be again.

I would say right now, Gilbert is the better player.
Whitney has outplayed Gilbert for the last twenty games. More edge, better breakout pass.

If you believe Whitney is past his foot problems (and he says he's without pain for the first time in a long time), then they probably made the right choice.

Old
02-27-2012, 01:31 PM
PETRYDISH

Petry is ready to shine, Schultz will help him.

Old
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Tom Gilbert was playing very well this season, and I'm not pleased to see him go, but I don't mind this deal.

I've liked Schultz for a long time, and I think he and Laddy will really compliment each other nice as the defensive guys in the top-4 for the Oil.

I personally believe the Oilers are still going to do something else, this just has that feeling.

Old
Cerebral

Schultz is also a guy who doesn't get hurt very often (knock on wood). He's only had one season in the last seven where he played less than 79 games and the fewest games played in a full season for him is 75. He's exactly what we need on our 2nd pairing.

Pennertration

Not too sure who wins this trade. Will reserve judgment until both players play a few games on their new teams.

I really liked Gilbert's game this year, but he's had some frustrating years as well. He's an odd D-man in that he lacks a big shot from the point and isn't very physical yet he has offensive upside and can be very effective defensively (shot-blocking, etc).

Being a defensive defenceman, it will take some time to assess Schultz's game. Look forward to getting a closer look at him. I like seeing that his teammates are ticked off at him leaving.

This trade should also help dispel the myth that Tambo is too scared to make a move. This is a bit of a risky one.

Closed Thread