HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

[TB/TOR] Keith Aulie to TB for Carter Ashton

Old
02-27-2012, 07:46 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
Strange they never brought Ashton up for a few games before trading him. Was he that much worse than Connolly?
If Connolly was AHL-eligible he wouldn't have played a single NHL game as well.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:48 PM
mix1home

vCash: 500
Leafs fan here. I think it's not only good trade for both teams, but for Aulie as player also. He was stuck behind many other D on our team with bigger contracts / better skill set. With our young core and Liles extended there was not much room for Aulie to play on big club. He is NHL ready for sure and if used properly can stabilize any pair on D as very mobile D with size and simple game.

mix1home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Steve

Sad to see Aulie go, he seemed like a good prospect. Glad to hear a bit more about Carter - I, like a lot here, didn't know too much.

Seems a solid trade from both sides, addresses weaknesses.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraphobia Catalyst View Post
Apparently Ashton Guarantees the Marlies the Calder Cup.
At least according to several posters in the trade forum thread.
It's just because the Marlies right now have a very deep defense with guys like Holzer, Mikus, Lashoff, Blacker, etc. along with good goaltending. They're a very young strong team, adding a guy like Ashton seriously helps them because of his size and two-way game (from what I gather from you guys he seems to have that) <3

He just tacks on quite well to an already strong Marlies squad.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:44 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Our Admirals may have something to say about that.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
Our Admirals may have something to say about that.
Well another big reason Toronto loves its Marlies (just dont ask anyone in Toronto that cause the attendence barely breaks 4K cause people are ****ing gay and only care about the Leafs what a bunch of ****ing ******s) is because most of the players are under 25 with a lot of potential. c:

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:17 PM
I Am Beat You

Don't be sleepin on the Ads!

Norfolk that is.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:29 PM
AimForTopCheddar
04 Bolts/Flames!

vCash: 1566
I actually think Aulie is the better prospect, I just don't think Ashton is gonna become the player he is advertised to be. That being said, I do understand PWF's take the longest to mature and develope (with the exception of goalies) but when it was a mistake for Aulie to be even shipped out of Calgary ( the whole trade was a mistake.. ). Aulie is gonna be solid for us

AimForTopCheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:37 PM
I Am Beat You

Although I think Ashton is a steep price, I'm warming to this deal. I'm excited for Aulie to be a key part of this team.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:15 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Aulie was really good for us last season but took a step back for some reason. He's strong and a very good skater for his height. Boucher should develop him into a good top 4 dman.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:51 PM
reza87

Aulie was a lock to make the team earlier this year but he kind of fell behind in our depth chart since he had a rough start to the season and Gardiner pretty much stole his spot on the team in training camp, adding Franson & Liles in the offseason for didn't help his situation either. Playing for TB is pretty much an ideal position for Aulie, he's going to be a very good player very soon. You guys need him much more than you need Carter Ashton. I was pretty disappointed to hear that Aulie had been traded, I kind of consider him a poor man's Schenn because of how well he plays defensively.

reza87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:39 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

When I first heard about this trade I freaked out, in a bad way. The more time I think about it, the more I like it. Aulie can be that top 4 reliable d man that we are missing. Hopefully he can adapt to Bouchers style quick, and give us 2 yeti's on the line. Although I hate to see Ashton go, I personally believe its harder to find a 6'6 23 some odd years old mobile defenseman than a power forward with good hands and legs.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:24 AM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
When I first heard about this trade I freaked out, in a bad way. The more time I think about it, the more I like it. Aulie can be that top 4 reliable d man that we are missing. Hopefully he can adapt to Bouchers style quick, and give us 2 yeti's on the line. Although I hate to see Ashton go, I personally believe its harder to find a 6'6 23 some odd years old mobile defenseman than a power forward with good hands and legs.
lol mobility is hardly aulie's strong suit, but he does have a good reach

he will have to improve quite a bit to be a top 4 Dmen, at least a good one

put it this way, he couldn't even make top 6 for the leafs this year, and they're not exactly a stellar team in terms of goals against

but i do think he'll improve from wilson's 'run and gun' system here in TO that leaves most of our D men without great speed looking foolish

pension plan puppets (a popular leaf blog) summarized it:
-What The Leafs Are Giving Up

When Brian Burke completed the Phaneuf deal two years ago Keith Aulie was mentioned as a piece that he had to have. Like Ashton he had been on Canada's World Juniors team and had paired with Tyler Myers in shutting down the rest of the world. His stints with the Leafs were uneven. His first was poor, his second was strong, and his third was poor. Even more disconcerting was that after the strong end to last year he was unable to make the team out of camp this summer. In our Top 25 Under 25 ranking Aulie was 10th but it's worth noting that we voted before his call up this year. Clearly we still had a lot more confidence in his potential going forward.

Michael Farber was just on TSN making some pretty funny comments about Aulie. He noted that last year when he played with Phaneuf that he looked like he could form part of a top shutdown pairing. I guess he only watched games after the trade deadline. He added that Aulie came into camp with a sense of entitlement and that was part of why he was cut.

However, Aulie's good luck last year was written about in depth. Cam Charron looked at the glaring differences in Aulie's two call-ups and found that a lot of the uptick in his box car stats could be traced to the strong play of James Reimer. This past September, Jonathan Willis pondered the question of whether Keith Aulie was ready for a top four role as was suggested during training camp. The conclusion, Aulie gave up the most shots on the blueline and benefitted from the best on-ice save percentage by a mile.

Conclusion

This past season has been by all accounts really rough. He's usually been the Marlies' worst defender and he has been passed by a number of players including Korbinian Holzer (#15 PPP Top 25 Under 25) who Marc Crawford noted had likely passed him in the depth chart among defensive defencemen. We had previously wanted to see him get a shot at the NHL after a number of call-ups to check out the press box amenities. He needs to be re-signed this year to get a shot but Aulie moving clears one hurdle. A fresh start in Tampa may be just what he needs. He may yet become a quality NHL defencemen but he's a guy that will soon lose his ability to pass through waivers so a long-term decision had to be made.

In Ashton, the Leafs simply add another player that may help fill out the bottom half of the Leafs' roster down the road. If you can get those spots filled more cheaply then that makes it easier to pay your top six talent. The emergence of some of Carter or his new cribmates would help, along with canning guys like Colby Armstrong, free up cash to re-sign Mikhail Grabovski this summer. All in all, it's the classic "new situation" trade. Hopefully, it pans out.
-

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:58 AM
The Yzerplan
Not enough goalies

I don't really know what to think about this. Some leaf fans call him Top-4 defender and then some call him barely NHL-capable dman with bottom pairing potential.

The Yzerplan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:14 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Toronto fan here.

Very happy to get Carter Ashton but you guys got a nice player in Keith Aulie.

Very big player at 6'6 and strong as an ox. If he can go back to playing sound positional hockey, you'll have a solid #5 defenceman for years to come. Keith can make the first pass out of the zone and is smart enough not to hang onto the puck for too long.

Tremendous attitude and a leader. He will drop the gloves for his boys.

Great hockey trade.

Best of luck to you guys.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:23 AM
Yosho
Logic

Another Leafs fan here:

Aulie's physicality is truly underrated. He knows what he can and can't do for a big man against opposing forwards. He's incredibly solid at angling players into the boards and finishing them off.

He uses the old stiff-arm very well without drawing the eyes of the referees. He is also great in front of the net.

And, as already mentioned, he won't back down from a fight and will stick up for any teammate.

Him, along with Hedman, make a couple of strong leaders on your back end.

Very nice trade, for both teams. Best of luck.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:11 AM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamkos 91 View Post
I don't really know what to think about this. Some leaf fans call him Top-4 defender and then some call him barely NHL-capable dman with bottom pairing potential.
Guess we will all have to wait and see with these guys but I am optimistic about both.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:39 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Quote:
He played like a top-4 D-man last year.

This year has been another story. Of course, he's been put in a tough spot this year. He was expected to make the team out of camp, but through not fault of his own (he played well enough in the pre-season) was beat out by Jake Gardiner and sent to the Marlies. He would get sporadically called up over the course of the year, but only play a game or two here or there while he was up here and struggled.

Aulie's a good kid with upside to become a physical #4 D-man. It's a good trade for both teams.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Toronto fan here.

Very happy to get Carter Ashton but you guys got a nice player in Keith Aulie.

Very big player at 6'6 and strong as an ox. If he can go back to playing sound positional hockey, you'll have a solid #5 defenceman for years to come. Keith can make the first pass out of the zone and is smart enough not to hang onto the puck for too long.

Tremendous attitude and a leader. He will drop the gloves for his boys.

Great hockey trade.

Best of luck to you guys.
I think this is accurate. I do think under Boucher's system, he could be a 4th D in Tampa.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Dayjobdave

Leaf fan here....like the others happy to get Ashton who really fills a need for us, but I have a ton of respect for Aulie's potential to be a long term player in the league.

I thought I'd chip in that if you go to Youtube and search him, you can find the story on how he saved his father when he was a teenager. It's really neat. This kid has a ton of character.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
I think this is accurate. I do think under Boucher's system, he could be a 4th D in Tampa.
He's a 5th defenceman on paper but can compliment one of your offensive minded top 4 defencemen quite nicely. If you need a guy to stay back, Aulie is capable of doing so. You'll rarely see him handle the puck in the neutral zone or in the offensive end, except for the occasional wrist shot or keep-in.

In the defensive end, he's good when he dishes it off or clears it out of his own zone. When Keith decides to carry the puck across his own blue line, that's when he gets into trouble. Runs out of space quite easily and doesn't have the necessary foot speed to turn back and catch up.

He's excellent in his own zone when he plays the angles and doesn't play a risky game.

Great vision in cutting guys off before they can advance the play into the corners or behind the net.

You guys will love his modest personality and his passion on the ice.

He knocked the **** out of Scott Hartnell as a rookie.

Old
02-28-2012, 09:14 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Great avy

Aulie, atm, is a good #5 or 6 D on an NHL roster. Future potential should have him top out at #4 IMHO. He has the size to intimidate oppositions and will likely be a great piece to have come playoff time. Best mobility that I've ever seen in a guy thats 6'6", however, compared to smaller more mobile players, he a little slow.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:21 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

My comparison for Aulie has always been Hal Gill with a mean streak.

Many people look down on Hal Gill, but I'd take him any day of the week. Shutdown pair, top 4 is Aulie's potential, and I think he has a good to really good chance of making it.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Great avy

Aulie, atm, is a good #5 or 6 D on an NHL roster. Future potential should have him top out at #4 IMHO. He has the size to intimidate oppositions and will likely be a great piece to have come playoff time. Best mobility that I've ever seen in a guy thats 6'6", however, compared to smaller more mobile players, he a little slow.
Tyler Myers and Jamieson Oleksiak are a couple guys that are a notch or two above Aulie.

But Keith has very good mobility for a big player.

Definite valuable asset for many years.

Teams will pay a high price for big, mobile and competent defencemen (Hal Gill).

Old
02-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
I think I'm coming around to this trade a bit. Let's face it, we were shallow at D, and this definitely fills a need for us, and we have a decent amount of forwards in the pipeline. Also, Ashton wasn't one of Yzerman's "guys", so maybe he didn't fit in with the vision Steve had for the future. Plus, Aulie seems a little closer to his potential than Ashton and less likely to be a bust... I'm okay with it.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote