HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[OTT/TB] Brian Lee for Matt Gilroy

Old
02-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Xspyrit

vCash: 500
I was working when I checked NHL.com for the summary of today's trade. It looked like a fairly quiet trade deadline. Then I saw Brian Lee traded to Tampa for Matt Gilroy

I was like "wow, pretty much out of the left field"

Was a little bit disappointed at first, because I was finally starting to like Lee and thought that we could pencil him as our #6 for a little while.

On the other side, I saw Matt Gilroy so I was thinking "hmmm this move has potential". Gilroy has a pedigree and was highly touted 2 years ago. However, I was surprised to see that he was already UFA, thouht he had one more RFA year.

Oh well, it seems that the Sens didn't have Lee in their long term plans so they are going to see if Matt Gilroy could be, pretty much what they did with Anderson last year.

The good thing about all this is that we built back Lee's value. He was waived and no one claimed him a bit more than 1 year ago.

I'm taking a "let's wait and see" approach once again

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwan553 View Post
Basically, our team is great offensively, but lacks defense, so we trade a solid 25 year old d-man who's been solid defensively for a 27 year old one-dimensional PMD who has ****** numbers.
I'm no Gilroy expert but how do you know that he is one-dimensional PMD? Did you watch him play regulary?

From everything I have read and watched, he is very responsible defensively. I think his problem in the NHL is that he hasn't produced big numbers for a guy with that much offensive potential. I think the Sens sign him to a 3 years deal and try to build his value.

Lee's value was what it already was. Not much upside left in Lee. A good #6

Quote:
Lee's "simple hockey" has been working out just fine though. I'd rather him play solid defensively like that than have a Campoli/Picard replace him.
lol at the Picard reference. Campoli and Gilroy are in a different stratosphere because they can actually play defense and move the puck well. Picard moved the puck decently and had a good shot but that's pretty much it. Gilroy has also more potential than Campoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Kyle Turris says hello.

So does Matt Cullen and Cory Stillman.
Also Anderson, Kuba, Carkner (his first 2 years), Sutton, Michalek... Their pro scouting is fine. Of course not as good as their drafting, because they are the drafting kings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V for Voodoo View Post
I am thinking this one has more to do with Dorion and T, not B, Murray's scouting. It was only two short years ago we were watching this guy heavily in college.
Well you have to consider that some people on HF have no clue of what they are talking about. Anyone can create an account and anyone can form an opinion based on nothing... Constructive criticism is great for debate but whining is pretty much useless and a serious waste of time.

Last edited by Xspyrit: 02-27-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Karlstrobe
"Lets Win It All"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
I was working when I checked NHL.com for the summary of today's trade. It looked like a fairly quiet trade deadline. Then I saw Brian Lee traded to Tampa for Matt Gilroy

Was a little bit disappointed at first, because I was finally starting to like Lee and thought that we could pencil him as our #6 for a little while.

On the other side, I saw Matt Gilroy so I was thinking "hmmm this move has potential". Gilroy has a pedigree and was highly touted 2 years ago. However, I was surprised to see that he was already UFA, thouht he had one more RFA year.

Oh well, it seems that the Sens didn't have Lee in their long term plans so they are going to see if Matt Gilroy could be, pretty much what they did with Anderson last year.

The good thing about all this is that we built back Lee's value. He was waived and no one claimed him a bit more than 1 year ago.

I'm no Gilroy expert but how do you know that he is one-dimensional PMD? Did you watch him play regulary?

From everything I have read and watched, he is very responsible defensively. I think his problem in the NHL is that he hasn't produced big numbers for a guy with that much offensive potential. I think the Sens sign him to a 3 years deal and try to build his value.

lol at the Picard reference. Campoli and Gilroy are in a different stratosphere because they can actually play defense and move the puck well. Picard moved the puck decently and had a good shot but that's pretty much it. Gilroy has also more potential than Campoli

Also Anderson, Kuba, Carkner (his first 2 years), Sutton, Michalek... Their pro scouting is fine. Of course not as good as their drafting, because they are the drafting kings.

Well you have to consider that some people on HF have no clue of what they are talking about. Anyone can create an account and anyone can form an opinion based on nothing... Constructive criticism is great for debate but whining is pretty much useless and a serious waste of time.
Finally some sense in this place for once. Gilroy has untaped potential which Maclean could activate.

Karlstrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Cat Herder
Formerly BigSensFan

The fact that Gilroy was a +2 on a tampa team that has a gf/ga differential of -38 shows me that he is not a big defensive liability and his other numbers show me that he can pot some points

I liked Lee.. I thought he was underrated (should not have been picked 9th overall, but he was a serviceable 6th D-Man)

Cat Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:53 PM
DrEasy
:heart: Cameron

I don't like it when people bash a player right after he gets traded. In some cases, I'm not even sure they were bashing him before, so I wonder if this is some kind of coping mechanism.

I liked Lee, and I thought he was still improving. He was (and still is, it's not like he's dead or anything ) a player in search of an identity, having shifted from an offensive puck-moving defenseman into a safe and increasingly physical defensive-minded defenseman. Still, his skating and passing skills made him more valuable than the average #5 or #6 D. And he's still 25, and unless their name is Karlsson, defensemen often take a little longer to develop.

He was also still under team control, in a team that is suddenly lacking some depth in defense, after the Rundblad trade, Kuba's impending UFA, Gonchar getting old fast, and the Wiercioch injury which probably set him back a little.

For Murray to trade him obviously means he wasn't in our longer term plans, which isn't surprising given the way he was treated last year as well. I don't know how Lee is in terms of attitude, but given this treatment I'm guessing he must have been one real bad apple.

I am not convinced by the argument that salvaging any kind of value out of Lee is great given that he was waived last year and nobody took him. You have to look at his current value, and there is no doubt in my mind that he wouldn't have cleared waivers this time around, far from it.

This trade is only equitable if Gilroy is quite a bit better than Lee, or that at least he has given indications that he's willing to stay here longer than just for the balance of this season. I guess time will tell.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:54 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
I seriously doubt Gilroy has the skill you are assuming he does, or he wouldn't be on his third team in 2 years.

I also doubt Gilroy has as much upside as some people are indicating, or Stevie Y (the guy many wanted to replace Murray) would NOT have traded him for a player many of you expert GMs call useless.

I am going to wait to see how he performs, my only recollection of him was the Tampa game in Ottawa in January where Gilroy was a -3 and was on the ice for all 4 goals against.

Thank goodness a sample size of one does not make a career.
We could say this about Karlsson at points this season and before as well.

If Gilroy brings nothing else, it is easy to see he is able to produce points from the back end far better than Lee. He also produces mobility, that when paired with the likes of Cowen will make three mobile defensive lines. While Lee was also mobile, he certainly doesn't have the offense that Gilroy brings. Gilroy is likely a Joe Corvo type of player, best suited for a lower line D pairing and time on the PP, which overall is better than what we were getting from Lee.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:56 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSensFan View Post
The fact that Gilroy was a +2 on a tampa team that has a gf/ga differential of -38 shows me that he is not a big defensive liability and his other numbers show me that he can pot some points

I liked Lee.. I thought he was underrated (should not have been picked 9th overall, but he was a serviceable 6th D-Man)
Good to see some level headed views.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSensFan View Post

MAB is +6.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Flamingo

Maybe Murray was merciful to Lee's ego and sent him to fulfill his potential under more favourable circumstances somewhere else.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:34 AM
Brooklanders*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Gilroy still has a lot of potential and is good NOW.

This can be a great trade for the Sens.

For some reason, I keep thinking he will be an excellent PP partner for Karlsson.
IN 2009 he was the Hobey Baker winner. The Rangers gave him a nice contract and a oneway NHL deal for an undrafted player. He looked great at first as a potential offensive minded guy. He fell out of favor with NY real fast. That same year dEL zOTTO was sent down for struggling defensively as a rookie. Out of the two rookie players, Del Zotto looked much better offensively while Gilroy looked good at both ends. Gilroy is fluid and can play, he never got a fair shake. I like Gilroy and not only because he is a local product. I have not watched enough of him with the Lightning but still feel based on recent play that he has the potential to be a solid 30-35 point guy. Defensively he is not physical but I wouldnt call him a liability. I want to see him with KARLSSON and especially on the PP that pairing would benefit Gilroy alot

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:38 AM
Mark Effin Stone
Jävla grisapa!

I like it! Lee was decent at everything but good at nothing.. atleast with Gilroy we'll get some offensive instincts and a decent shot. I've watched him a couple of times this year and think he played well in the games I saw.

Anyone know if he'll play tonight?

Mark Effin Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Ed Wood

I hate this trade. Neither player has lived up to expectations but Lee is three years younger and showed much more growth in his game this year than Gilroy did. At least we didn't go out and acquire Dwayne Roloson as one local writer suggested we might.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:54 AM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Brian Lee getting traded is the start of the apocalypse.

MrCraigAnderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:14 AM
burgess1978

Lee traded - check
Konopka and Carkner in the press box - check
Gonchar and Kuba playing great - check

I am a little concerned that Murray didn't address the gaping need in the squad for a new whipping boy. Gilroy has potential though.

burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:51 AM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Is it possible the Lee discreetly asked for a trade considering the minimal opportunities he has had here and Murray finally found a taker?

West Coast Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:58 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisbane sens fan View Post
Is it possible the Lee discreetly asked for a trade considering the minimal opportunities he has had here and Murray finally found a taker?
Im pretty sure its the first time lee has had enough value to be traded in 2 years so murray went for it.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:31 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
MAB is +6.
MAB sees 65% offensive zone starts and faces the lowest quality of competition in tampa.

Gilroy actually works for his +/-.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:59 AM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post

I'm taking a "let's wait and see" approach once again

Well put!

Ice-Tray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:02 AM
Mark Effin Stone
Jävla grisapa!

All of Gilroy's 17 points are even strength points.. that's pretty nice.

17:36 TOI/G
0:22 PP TOI/G
1:21 SH TOI/G
49 hits
57 blocked shots

Brian Lee

14:38 TOI/G
0:06 PP TOI/G
1:49 SH TOI/G
41 blocked shots
73 hits

I'd say we got a decent upgrade with offensive upside on the 5-6 position..

Mark Effin Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:41 AM
Indrew

You'd think they traded Anze Kopitar for all this overreaction. This is the number 6/7 defenseman, yikes.

Indrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Iamok
#Panic

Listening to BM's interviews really made it sound like their intention was not to qualify Lee after his term was up. I do agree with BM's ideology of having a capable puck mover on all three lines, the problem is just that Gonchar's defence isn't where it should be anymore, and Cowen/Phillips are inconsistent.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:00 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Senators Fan View Post
You'd think they traded Anze Kopitar for all this overreaction. This is the number 6/7 defenseman, yikes.
Heh... I see what you did there.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:31 AM
SensHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
I hate this trade. Neither player has lived up to expectations but Lee is three years younger and showed much more growth in his game this year than Gilroy did. At least we didn't go out and acquire Dwayne Roloson as one local writer suggested we might.
3 Years younger...so? They are both under 30. Age isn't even a factor here. We upgraded. The only issue is Gilroy's UFA status. But if there weren't going to qualify Brian Lee anyway then its a wash. We now have a chance to let Gilroy audition for this team and see if he is a fit. If not see ya later. In the meantime we added a PMD to our lineup that will help in the short term. Plus he spends just as much time killing penalties per game as Lee does.

SensHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Xspyrit

Okay, since it is a relatively small thread, I will add!

Joe Corvo had his breakout season at 28 y/o (Born Jun 20 1977)

2001-02 Manchester Monarchs AHL 80 13 37 50 30 6 5 0 5 5 0
2002-03 Los Angeles Kings NHL 50 5 7 12 14 2 -- -- -- -- --
2002-03 Manchester Monarchs AHL 26 8 18 26 8 7 3 0 0 0 0
2003-04 Los Angeles Kings NHL 72 8 17 25 36 7 -- -- -- -- --
2004-05 Chicago Wolves AHL 23 7 7 14 14 7 18 4 5 9 12
2005-06 Los Angeles Kings NHL 81 14 26 40 38 16 -- -- -- -- --

The upside with Gilroy is that he is better defensively while being as good offensively. The big question is can he breakout in the NHL too?

It's easy to see, the Sens want to show us an exciting brand of hockey, and that's already what they do. Lee was the opposite of exciting. But still, some people complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
I am not convinced by the argument that salvaging any kind of value out of Lee is great given that he was waived last year and nobody took him. You have to look at his current value, and there is no doubt in my mind that he wouldn't have cleared waivers this time around, far from it.
I'm not sure but in case you were refering to my argument, look what I have said :

Quote:
I said as Lee had no value 1 year ago, but we were able to build his value back and trade for a defenseman that was probably worth a 2nd round pick at the deadline. That's good for a guy not in long term plans anyway

I liked Lee (finally) but this is not a big loss. We didn't trade Rundblad or Fisher there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
Agree, Gilroy career is almost over, he is soon an over-the-hill useless veteran declining. 27 y/o is OLD.

(for people who don't have detectors)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978 View Post
Lee traded - check
Konopka and Carkner in the press box - check
Gonchar and Kuba playing great - check

I am a little concerned that Murray didn't address the gaping need in the squad for a new whipping boy. Gilroy has potential though.
QFT.

However Carkner, Konopka and Auld are doing an awesome already, even when not playing. It's great because it allows players that DO play to not have a ton of negative pressure on their backs.

I could see Murray talking to other NHL GMs asking for those 3 guys :

"Sorry, I can't trade those guys. Hmm, no I need them as whipping boys so guys like Phillips, Kuba, Gonchar, Anderson... can play their game. Ya, I know but we are a Canadian team and canadian fans have expectations that are the farthest thing from realistic. Okay thanks"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubbe View Post
All of Gilroy's 17 points are even strength points.. that's pretty nice.

17:36 TOI/G
0:22 PP TOI/G
1:21 SH TOI/G
49 hits
57 blocked shots
Hmmm, didn't know that. It's very good for the ice-time and quality of ice-time he got. Looking at those 3 replays where he feeds the puck to Stamkos, I'm not sure why Boucher didn't put him on their 1st PP all the way... Bergeron is a specialist and if I'm not mistaken they used St-Louis or Hedman on the other side. I admit TB is among the teams I follow the less in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
Listening to BM's interviews really made it sound like their intention was not to qualify Lee after his term was up. I do agree with BM's ideology of having a capable puck mover on all three lines, the problem is just that Gonchar's defence isn't where it should be anymore, and Cowen/Phillips are inconsistent.
My opinion is that's Gonchar offensive game that isn't where it should be anymore, his shot has declined. His passing is still good but a bit like Kovalev, his shot is not as a big threat like before. Opponents play so high against our PP that it gets hard for us to get it on net. They know we have the most productive defense. It's surprising that Phillips has more goals. Anyway, I'm totally fine with Gonchar's defensive game. A made a few blunders at the start of the season but since then, he has been our safer D-man with Kuba. He plays wisely and I like that. I think that's the way Karlsson will play defensively as a veteran. A lot of stick work, a lot of positioning, a lot of smooth skating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensHero View Post
3 Years younger...so? They are both under 30. Age isn't even a factor here. We upgraded. The only issue is Gilroy's UFA status. But if there weren't going to qualify Brian Lee anyway then its a wash. We now have a chance to let Gilroy audition for this team and see if he is a fit. If not see ya later. In the meantime we added a PMD to our lineup that will help in the short term. Plus he spends just as much time killing penalties per game as Lee does.

/Thread

Last edited by Xspyrit: 02-28-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:28 AM
GK
Not Jeeks

Is their a Gilroy interview yet? I have be checking the Sens website every couple hours since the trade, but still nothing but an article.

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:41 AM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

My only problem with Gonchar is that this year he cannot miss the first forward's shins to save his life.

For a defeseman that is considered one of the best offensive defenseman in the league over the past decade, I have no idea how it happened.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote