HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Trade: Sharks acquire Winnik, Galiardi, 7th for McGinn, Connolly, Sgarbossa

Old
02-29-2012, 03:21 PM
maryb

vCash: 500
sorry to be OT from the current posts, but Galiardi should have drawn at LEAST 2-3 if not closer to 4 penalties last night. was quick, saw him read some plays and be in the right position anticipating the puck coming that way (and it did). his forecheck was decent, backcheck as well. think it will take a few more games to get him settled but definitely can improve about any line he's on.

Winnik definitely had the more noticeable/better game last night, should have been a thornton goal but after replay saw bryzgalov got his stick hand out to knock it away. On JT on that one (sorry Joe). can definitely see his possession abilities, and he had one hell of a wrist shot IIRC. soft passes, and that play where he basically heeled the pass to Marleau: if that was intentional, amazing read.

Not that mitchell had a terrible game (as he did make a key block in front of the net in that big scramble) but he has to worry about his job :| and i like mitchell's play/style.

maryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:21 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
Also stalockrox - in terms of Hodgson leaving changing the zonestart strategy, I agree with you and last night backs it up. The big difference is that the offensive-zone draws going to Hodgson will now go to Kesler, giving him an easier load.

The Canucks had 20 offensive-zone faceoffs and 17 defensive-zone faceoffs in Phoenix last night. Henrik and Kesler each took 9 offensive-zone draws, Malhotra and Pahlsson each took 8 defensive-zone draws. That probably only interests me but I thought it was pretty cool.
Oh yeah, Kesler's (hockey) life just got a whole lot easier...

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Been meaning to mention this but some of you were looking specifically for a F1 forechecker to play with Thornton and Pavelski right? Then Marleau,Couture, and Clowe can form a line together. Well, couldn't Galiardi fill that role as a tweener for Jumbo and Pavs? He's fast and decent on the boards. He scored 15 goals two seasons ago and was on pace for 16 goals last season but he got hurt and only played 35 games. Moore could also be a tweener but he's better left to center the third line. Gali is a natural LW and could be the missing piece there.

Galiardi-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Clowe
Winnik-Moore-Havlat
Winchester-Handzus/Desjardins-Wingels

Thoughts?

Also, the only weak defensive player in the top 9 is Clowe. Everyone else is at least adequate defensively.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:44 PM
maryb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
Been meaning to mention this but some of you were looking specifically for a F1 forechecker to play with Thornton and Pavelski right? Then Marleau,Couture, and Clowe can form a line together. Well, couldn't Galiardi fill that role as a tweener for Jumbo and Pavs? He's fast and decent on the boards. He scored 15 goals two seasons ago and was on pace for 16 goals last season but he got hurt and only played 35 games. Moore could also be a tweener but he's better left to center the third line. Gali is a natural LW and could be the missing piece there.

Marleau-Couture-Clowe
Winnik-Moore-Havlat

Thoughts?

Also, the only weak defensive player in the top 9 is Clowe. Everyone else is at least adequate defensively.
i also thought he would have been with JT/Pavs initially, he could probably work on any one of the lines effectively. thinking with couture out was why the big line jumble.

clowe had a more impressive game than other games lately, saw some hits, the goal, and was a lot better along the boards (which he usually is pretty amazing at). also had a flash or two of speed

edit: however, a third line of winnik-moore-havlat i am not sure of would work super effectively. if Winnik does have hands of stone (his passing would say otherwise) it would put a lot of pressure on moore and havlat to generate scoring opportunities. i could however be completely wrong.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:45 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post

Marleau-Couture-Clowe
Winnik-Moore-Havlat

Thoughts?

This is something I would like to see done with the lineup.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:05 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryb View Post
i also thought he would have been with JT/Pavs initially, he could probably work on any one of the lines effectively. thinking with couture out was why the big line jumble.

clowe had a more impressive game than other games lately, saw some hits, the goal, and was a lot better along the boards (which he usually is pretty amazing at). also had a flash or two of speed

edit: however, a third line of winnik-moore-havlat i am not sure of would work super effectively. if Winnik does have hands of stone (his passing would say otherwise) it would put a lot of pressure on moore and havlat to generate scoring opportunities. i could however be completely wrong.
Moore is capable of a two-man offensive game. He doesn't need the third forward, same for Havlat.

They set the lines to match the Pavs line to the Giroux line. Three best Sharks defensive forwards against Philly's three best offensive guys and it worked.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:08 PM
maryb

thanks for clarification, didnt have much insight on Moore's offensive abilities and was hoping to grasp them more from his performance with the sharks (didnt get much time yet)

Old
02-29-2012, 04:28 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryb View Post
thanks for clarification, didnt have much insight on Moore's offensive abilities and was hoping to grasp them more from his performance with the sharks (didnt get much time yet)
I saw a lot of his Tampa playoffs last year where he went off with Bergenheim. Moore can hold the puck with his speed and has good vision for the entire zone. The third guy was non-existent. If the Sharks play teams where they hold their third guy as high as they did against Philly, they will need guys being able to play that two man game (JT can do it and likes to do it as well.) Playing third very high against Philly is a reasonable plan as Philly really likes to stretch the ice.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:32 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I saw a lot of his Tampa playoffs last year where he went off with Bergenheim. Moore can hold the puck with his speed and has good vision for the entire zone. The third guy was non-existent. If the Sharks play teams where they hold their third guy as high as they did against Philly, they will need guys being able to play that two man game (JT can do it and likes to do it as well.) Playing third very high against Philly is a reasonable plan as Philly really likes to stretch the ice.
I noticed that last night as well.

The coaching staff did a very good job w/ the lines and game plan for the game against Philly.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Les Wynan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Playing third very high against Philly is a reasonable plan as Philly really likes to stretch the ice.
They were much better at this with Pronger but they were definitely trying it last night too.

Les Wynan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:55 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
They were much better at this with Pronger but they were definitely trying it last night too.
That was their big loss with Pronger because it makes the dynamic less effective and hurts their GAA and SV% even more. That was my reservation with the Bryz acquisition. They really needed a more athletic type goalie for oddman situations.

I also noticed that Sharks were very conservative about pinching dmen in the game as well. I only saw one clear breakdown in covering a potential stretch (White) in the game.

Old
02-29-2012, 05:27 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
It's scary thinking about how good they'd be if Pronger was healthy. Easily the best stretch passer in the league.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:22 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
It's scary thinking about how good they'd be if Pronger was healthy. Easily the best stretch passer in the league.
For my money, the best stretch passer in the league is Matt Carle, when he is on his game. The guy reminds me of Denis Potvin, threading passes from blueline-to-blueline at times.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:01 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/shark...82&feedID=5881

Talkinb 'bout their debut

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

Quote:
Galiardi didnít care, or at least he wasnít letting on. He has come across as downright giddy since he found out about the trade, and a close call that nearly resulted in his first goal with the Sharks wasnít going to bring him down from his high.
Man that looks really bad on Avs management. Especially if he becomes a beast.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:30 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.nhlpa.com/news/headlines/.../making-a-move

Winnik talks about the trade. (Played with Burns in pee wee)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:18 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
For my money, the best stretch passer in the league is Matt Carle, when he is on his game. The guy reminds me of Denis Potvin, threading passes from blueline-to-blueline at times.
Psh, blueline-to-blueline. Pronger does goal line to blueline.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:36 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Psh, blueline-to-blueline. Pronger does goal line to blueline.
Psh, I meant goal-line to goal-line. Carle's passes magically follow his target and stay onside.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Rickety Cricket

Nem, bust out Shass.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:15 AM
exchequer

It seems like Winnik was the main guy DW was targeting and it showed last night. From what I've seen so far, Galliardi reminds me of one of my all-time favorite sharks - Wayne Primeau.

They will make Colin White look much better.

exchequer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:19 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by exchequer View Post
It seems like Winnik was the main guy DW was targeting and it showed last night. From what I've seen so far, Galliardi reminds me of one of my all-time favorite sharks - Wayne Primeau.

They will make Colin White look much better.
One of them is going to put on his uniform and go play in his place?

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:43 AM
SJFanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
One of them is going to put on his uniform and go play in his place?
No, I think he either means that White's just not gonna lose as much sleep (therefore be a lot prettier) because you don't pick on the guy as much when we win, or that with their added depth, when Havlat and Moore come back, Vandermeer will be pushed back to D depth instead of Forward depth, and with Murray coming back, the odds of seeing White scratched will be even greater ! Don't you think he'd look good in the press box ?

SJFanQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:11 AM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/shark...62&feedID=2798

Sharks were targeting JVR? Wonder what they were trying to give up

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:16 AM
bleedteal12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Burns View Post
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/shark...62&feedID=2798

Sharks were targeting JVR? Wonder what they were trying to give up
Depending on who you talk to, Niemi's name was dangled.

But then Philly wanted Couture, so DW hung up in half a second flat.

bleedteal12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:31 AM
param

vCash: 50
Hey guys,

I like this trade.

K, bye bye

param is offline   Reply With Quote