Notices

Oduya to Chicago for 2013 2nd and 3rd

Old
02-28-2012, 01:33 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
Clitsome and Oduya

I think the Clitsome claim and Oduya trade are related, but not in the way most people think. I heard on 1290 that several teams put in claims for Clitsome, which means they are all higher than us in the standings. Chicago could've possibly been one of the teams. By claiming him we're forcing Chicago to trade for Oduya.

Maybe Chevy is a good GM after all?

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:07 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
It's got to suck to be Kulda or Postma right now.

They should be in the NHL right now, but couldn't make it up because of a log jam on the blueline (Enstrom, Buff, Bogosian, Stuart, Hainsey, Oduya, Jones and Flood). One of those guys finally leaves, opening up a spot, but the team claims a defenseman off waivers on the same day to replace him. Their goes your chance to get called up.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
It's got to suck to be Kulda or Postma right now.

They should be in the NHL right now, but couldn't make it up because of a log jam on the blueline (Enstrom, Buff, Bogosian, Stuart, Hainsey, Oduya, Jones and Flood). One of those guys finally leaves, opening up a spot, but the team claims a defenseman off waivers on the same day to replace him. Their goes your chance to get called up.
They were never going to do anything to hurt St. John's Calder Cup chances, both are key players down there.

They just better get a real chance next year, no more Jones type anchors to force players down. They did not even give Kulda a real chance in camp this year.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:57 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
They were never going to do anything to hurt St. John's Calder Cup chances, both are key players down there.

They just better get a real chance next year, no more Jones type anchors to force players down. They did not even give Kulda a real chance in camp this year.
I think they are will have a better shot next year

My feeling is, no one got a great shot out of camp, because they werent exactly sure who they had.

So sign a couple of "serviceable" (use the term loosely) players until they figured out who they got.

Next year should be different

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Moe Mantha

vCash: 501
I'll be honest and say that I was sour on Oduya from the home opener on. He improved his play, but I was still not open enough to changing my mind.

And getting a second AND third round pick out of Chicago for him is highway robbery. Wow.

Moe Mantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:44 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Anyone interested in following Grant on Twitter will find him at @GClitsome

Here are some of his tweets over the last 24 hours...

Quote:
Grant Clitsome ‏ @GClitsome
Thanks for all the support, wish all the best to the Blue Jackets, can't thank them enough for the opportunity.
Based on this tweet, it might be that Grant asked the Jackets for a chance to go somewhere else.

Quote:
Grant Clitsome ‏ @GClitsome
Very excited to be a Winnipeg Jet!
Quote:
Grant Clitsome ‏ @GClitsome - 39 minutes ago
Just got to Winnipeg, can't wait to get going!

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:14 PM
sully1410

I think it's pretty cool when a player is genuinely excited to play here. Those are the guys we want to play here.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:04 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Johnny gets burned by Ray Ferraro just before the start of the 2nd period about his less than stellar start with the Hawks.

Old
02-29-2012, 08:11 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
Johnny gets burned by Ray Ferraro just before the start of the 2nd period about his less than stellar start with the Hawks.
First game in a new system - would be nice if he could catch a break from the media types for a game or two.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:21 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
First game in a new system - would be nice if he could catch a break from the media types for a game or two.
Easy target. Wonder if anyone pointed all the mistakes he made the first night he was on TSN

Old
02-29-2012, 09:05 PM
tntkid

Oduya gave away the puck so often in Winnipeg I thought Chevy was a genius to unload him & his salary on the Hawks.

Fehr & Hainsey should be next to go.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntkid View Post
Oduya gave away the puck so often in Winnipeg I thought Chevy was a genius to unload him & his salary on the Hawks.

Did you watch the last game?.. You really think unloading another defenseman will help this team.

I highly doubt one of Stuart, Flood, Jones, Clitsome, Postma or Kulda could step into that top 4 role

While this team may be stockpiled on defense, top 4 defense the Jets pretty much only have 4 right now.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:13 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntkid View Post

Uhhhhh......what are you talking about exactly?

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Hainsey is a great D-man, not sure what you're getting at.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Sorry tntkid, not sure I'm following. Oduya turned the puck over occasionally but practically every defenceman does. Oduya was a good player for us this year.

Hainsey has off games just like everyone but he is one of our most reliable.

02-29-2012, 09:30 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Apparently the Flyers had also put in a claim on Clitsome.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:53 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
Oduya played 19:44 in first game with the Hawks, of that 1:10 was on the PP, he finished the night +1 and we should all thank him for helping to beat the Leaf's!

Oduya started the season poorly in Winnipeg, played well for for quite a long time but was starting to look weak near the end of his tenure with the Jets. In hindsight in was the right move, dumped an inflated salary and a UFA for a 2nd and 3rd pick, not a bad deal if one of Jones, Flood or Clitsome can step into the 6th D role.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:54 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Apparently the Flyers had also put in a claim on Clitsome.
I had heard Phoenix as well... despite 23 points out of the last 24 their D are banged up.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Oduya played 19:44 in first game with the Hawks, of that 1:10 was on the PP, he finished the night +1 and we should all thank him for helping to beat the Leaf's!

Oduya started the season poorly in Winnipeg, played well for for quite a long time but was starting to look weak near the end of his tenure with the Jets. In hindsight in was the right move, dumped an inflated salary and a UFA for a 2nd and 3rd pick, not a bad deal if one of Jones, Flood or Clitsome can step into the 6th D role.
Yeah, on the Hawks board they were still **** talking him though. I think they possibly payed more than they should have, but the deal would have been much better if they were also able to grab an extra forward (preferably a Center and they didn't), so I guess hawks fans are mad at the "half-job".

Well, if they don't want him, I still wouldn't mind the resigning him.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:29 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Yeah, on the Hawks board they were still **** talking him though. I think they possibly payed more than they should have, but the deal would have been much better if they were also able to grab an extra forward (preferably a Center and they didn't), so I guess hawks fans are mad at the "half-job".

Well, if they don't want him, I still wouldn't mind the resigning him.
I REALLY missed Johnny against Edmonton but I do get the Hawks fans anger......They overpaid us for a pending UFA who plays on the bottom pair.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:34 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I REALLY missed Johnny against Edmonton but I do get the Hawks fans anger......They overpaid us for a pending UFA who plays on the bottom pair.
Oduya now handing out Chicago deep dish...

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
Oduya now handing out Chicago deep dish...
im hungry

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:13 AM
tntkid

I was at the Edmonton Oilers game & the Jets lost because the Oilers pressured & outplayed the Jets for most of the game.
The team could barely make a tape to tape pass all night.

The draft picks for Oduya was a smart move.
I watched all the games this season & his giveaways had resulted in goals at the worst times.
He may have been outstanding in Atlanta but not this year for the Jets & he was expendable due to the depth on defense.

The defense with Bogosian, Enstrom, Stuart, Byfuglien , Flood is pretty much stacked & more offense is what the team really needs at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Did you watch the last game?.. You really think unloading another defenseman will help this team.

I highly doubt one of Stuart, Flood, Jones, Clitsome, Postma or Kulda could step into that top 4 role

While this team may be stockpiled on defense, top 4 defense the Jets pretty much only have 4 right now.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

The only ones capable of playing top 4 minutes in your list is Enstrom, Bogosian and Byfuglien. Stuart has a great defensive game but will get torn apart if he were to play 19+ minutes per night. Same with Flood and all the other guys in St. Johns.

That's the point I was trying to make, I have no issues with what they got for Oduya as he was a pending UFA and on the way out. But what I'm trying to say is while they do have a surplus of defensemen, the difference between a top4 d-man and a #5 or #6 is big and this team will struggle if one of them are placed into that position on a nightly basis.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:00 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
The only ones capable of playing top 4 minutes in your list is Enstrom, Bogosian and Byfuglien. Stuart has a great defensive game but will get torn apart if he were to play 19+ minutes per night. Same with Flood and all the other guys in St. Johns.

That's the point I was trying to make, I have no issues with what they got for Oduya as he was a pending UFA and on the way out. But what I'm trying to say is while they do have a surplus of defensemen, the difference between a top4 d-man and a #5 or #6 is big and this team will struggle if one of them are placed into that position on a nightly basis.
Are you saying we should release Hainsey from his contract?

Seriously, I'd say keep our top 4 intact atleast another season. By then it may not be so far fetched to believe that one of the guys in St. Johns is able to handle top 4 assignments. If there is one thing we actually do have, it's depth on D right now. Btw, if what I hear is correct and Postma is actually showing signs of improving his defense, wouldn't it be sweet to have 3 d-men in the top 4 that was drafted after pick 200?

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote