HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which prospects won't make it??

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2004, 09:01 PM
Mike The Wall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
I know lot of people make top twenty or top 25 prospect list but from those who won't make it??

I don't want to give any names considering I'll get lot of heat for taking some highly touted prospects down, but I ask real prospect evaluater to answer this question, because we have total optimism over our prospect but some just won't make it, and I just want to get realistic point of view on some of the over rated prospects that haven't really done much since drafted but still get lot of hype!!

Michael Lambert
Jimmy Bonneau

Old
11-06-2004, 09:06 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabpas
Urquhart won't make it - not a good second pick in a deep draft

Those that will: Higgins, Chipchura, Lapierre, Danis, Ferland

Maybe: Hossa, Hainsey, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Lambert, Halak, O'Byrne. Bonneau, Cote

Won't make it: Plekanec, Locke, Milroy, Urquhart, Flood, Archer, Shasby, Yemelin, Korneev, Stewart (s), Dulac-Lemelin,Thinel
Plekanec will make it with the Habs, and Locke will make it, but possibly with another team. Perez will make it with the Habs also. Hainsey won't I'm afraid to say, and Hossa is borderline. The others I don't know.

Old
11-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie
Plekanec will make it with the Habs, and Locke will make it, but possibly with another team. Perez will make it with the Habs also. Hainsey won't I'm afraid to say, and Hossa is borderline. The others I don't know.
It may be too soon to say in Hainsey's case. Defensemen take longer to mature than forwards. I hear that he has a much better attitude this year so who knows?

The one I'm not convinced about is Hossa. Yes, I know he's putting up some good numbers in Europe but I don't see him thriving in the NHL.

It will be interesting to see.

Old
11-06-2004, 09:32 PM
gabpas

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie
We can't have 3 small centers. With Koivu, Ribeiro and Bonk I think that Chipchura will be the next prospect to eventually make the team down the road at center and Plekanec will be traded. Just my opinion.

Old
11-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Duster

Quote:
We can't have 3 small centers. With Koivu, Ribeiro and Bonk I think that Chipchura will be the next prospect to eventually make the team down the road at center and Plekanec will be traded. Just my opinion.
I respectfully disagree. If anyone goes, it will be Ribs. Plekanec is a complete player whereas Ribs is more a luxury IMO. Doesn't mean that Ribs won't have a good career. It just means elsewhere, IMO.

Old
11-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Alexander Ovechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
I respectfully disagree. If anyone goes, it will be Ribs. Plekanec is a complete player whereas Ribs is more a luxury IMO. Doesn't mean that Ribs won't have a good career. It just means elsewhere, IMO.
We have good center player !

Old
11-06-2004, 10:03 PM
gabpas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
I just can't see Gainey trading Ribeiro. Offensively he brings a lot more to the table. I don't think Plekanec's offensive potential comes close to Ribeiro's game and Montreal needs offense. We have Bonk and Begin to take care of the other team's offense. So I would not trade Ribeiro and what if we ever lose Koivu as a free agent. But it is difficult to predict what will happen when the lockout is finally resolved.

When Gainey first became GM, he clearly indicated that the team needed to get bigger. That being said, replacing Ribeiro with Plekanec does not make much sense to me. I believe Gainey traded Balej because of his size since we had a lot of similar talented prospects and he wanted immediate help to get a big and talented offensive player in Kovalev. I just see Plekanec in the same mold as Balej. He is good trade material and I would trade him to improve our draft position for 2005 (if there is a draft) as this draft could be even stronger than 2003.

Old
11-06-2004, 10:33 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
I just can't see Gainey trading Ribeiro. Offensively he brings a lot more to the table. I don't think Plekanec's offensive potential comes close to Ribeiro's game and Montreal needs offense. We have Bonk and Begin to take care of the other team's offense. So I would not trade Ribeiro and what if we ever lose Koivu as a free agent. But it is difficult to predict what will happen when the lockout is finally resolved.

When Gainey first became GM, he clearly indicated that the team needed to get bigger. That being said, replacing Ribeiro with Plekanec does not make much sense to me. I believe Gainey traded Balej because of his size since we had a lot of similar talented prospects and he wanted immediate help to get a big and talented offensive player in Kovalev. I just see Plekanec in the same mold as Balej. He is good trade material and I would trade him to improve our draft position for 2005 (if there is a draft) as this draft could be even stronger than 2003.
Julien will play him who bring the most to the table and to me Plekanec is the more valuable of the two... Pleks can produce very well offensively and be useful in every areas of the game..

I dont get the logic to trade a such quality prospect for anything else than a first round pick and I dont think his value is that high at the moment around the league..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 11-06-2004 at 10:39 PM.
Old
11-07-2004, 10:04 PM
gabpas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Julien will play him who bring the most to the table and to me Plekanec is the more valuable of the two... Pleks can produce very well offensively and be useful in every areas of the game..

I dont get the logic to trade a such quality prospect for anything else than a first round pick and I dont think his value is that high at the moment around the league..
As much as I like Plekanec, I don't like the idea of trading last year's leading point player to make room for an unproven player. I am not sure about his value not being high at the moment. Gainey should let him have a solid season like he did with Balej before trading him. That would be the best outcome as far as I am concerned.

Old
11-08-2004, 08:51 AM
Joe Cole

I have not seen much of Plekanek, but what I did see.... he seems willing but his skating just didn't impress me. Slow and not very fluid.

To top it off, a small center in the Eastern Conference has to bring something really special to the table, otherwise a larger less talented guy has the advantage.

Hossa, this guy has never showed me anything. Hockey seasons last 82 games mnimum. At the rate this guy is developing, his commitment level excluded him from being a factor for more then 2 games in a row. By the time he wakes up, he will be in another uniform.

Old
11-08-2004, 12:22 PM
Corey

IMO Plekanec is seriously underrated. He's the leading goal scorer on the Dogs. He has more oomph on his shot than Ribeiro, who doesn't exactly blast them by the goalie. He's very good on the PP. He's not a slow skater. He's not tall but he's more muscular and harder to knock down than Ribeiro. He seems to have more stamina than Ribeiro, who weakened at the end of last season and ran completely out of gas in the playoffs,

Old
11-08-2004, 02:42 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
IMO Plekanec is seriously underrated. He's the leading goal scorer on the Dogs. He has more oomph on his shot than Ribeiro, who doesn't exactly blast them by the goalie. He's very good on the PP. He's not a slow skater. He's not tall but he's more muscular and harder to knock down than Ribeiro. He seems to have more stamina than Ribeiro, who weakened at the end of last season and ran completely out of gas in the playoffs,

I agree. Plekanec is also solid on draws, in his own end, and has some sandpaper to his game all to go with his impressive offensive game. We don't know how his game will translate in the NHL, although I thought he played well in his very short callup, we'll have to see what happens.

Old
11-08-2004, 02:56 PM
Freebooter

I also agree. I hope the Habs don't make a mistake in trading Pleks. He is much, much quicker than Ribeiro, better defensively, way tougher, and a good character guy to boot. Sort of like John Madden, although Madden had better numbers in the AHL, albeit in a different role. What we don't know is whether he will be able to pick up 65 points in the NHL and whether he will be able to be effective when the going gets tough. But we already suspect that Ribeiro's game does not translate well in the playoffs, so it's hard to know what if anything the Habs would lose by replacing Ribeiro with Plekanec. If Ribeiro could fetch a solid young D-man, I'd do it in the next year or so, if there was hockey.

Old
11-08-2004, 03:39 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
I have not seen much of Plekanek, but what I did see.... he seems willing but his skating just didn't impress me. Slow and not very fluid.

To top it off, a small center in the Eastern Conference has to bring something really special to the table, otherwise a larger less talented guy has the advantage.

Hossa, this guy has never showed me anything. Hockey seasons last 82 games mnimum. At the rate this guy is developing, his commitment level excluded him from being a factor for more then 2 games in a row. By the time he wakes up, he will be in another uniform.
Plekanec slow? Not a fluid skater???? He is possibly the most fluid skater in the organisation with guys like Koivu and Perezhogin...

Old
11-08-2004, 03:47 PM
mcphee

Guys, I'm not a big Ribeiro fan but cut him some slack. Look at the progress he made last year, both in terms of production and his overall game. We seem to be working off the assumption that that's it, his development curve is done. There is no reason to think he won't improve. His playoff stunk,admittedly, but he led the team in scoring in a year that we were pleased with the team's progress. If Plekanec shows that he will surpass Ribs contribution, great, the team has options.
Injuries, and team needs will sort this out. We can't trade 65 points from an offensively challenges lineup because of what the flavor of the month 'might' do.

Old
11-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Corey

My comment answered Joe Cole's putdown of Plekanec. If we cut Ribeiro some slack, we ought to do the same for the younger Plekanec. I agree with the posters who pointed out Plekanec's grit. When Ribeiro tries it he finally runs into someone like Martin Lapointe, who throws him aside like a rag doll. Gainey's got to give Plekanec a fair shot even though the Habs have Koivu, Ribeiro, and Bonk. Their names aren't engraved in stone and thery won't play forever.

Old
11-08-2004, 05:26 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
My comment answered Joe Cole's putdown of Plekanec. If we cut Ribeiro some slack, we ought to do the same for the younger Plekanec. I agree with the posters who pointed out Plekanec's grit. When Ribeiro tries it he finally runs into someone like Martin Lapointe, who throws him aside like a rag doll. Gainey's got to give Plekanec a fair shot even though the Habs have Koivu, Ribeiro, and Bonk. Their names aren't engraved in stone and thery won't play forever.
No arguement from me. Actually I was referring more to the general attitude towards Ribeiro. I hope Plekanec gets a shot and succeeds, but as a prospect board, I think we're a bit too quick in replacing players. Centers are like pitchers in baseball though, you can't have enough. If Plekanec forces his way on the team, I'm sure he'll be accomadated.

Old
11-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Freebooter

If I'm not mistaken. Plekanec was drafted as a LW/C, so he may have alternatives in working his way into the lineup. I think the point with Plekanec is that some of us see his upside in terms of an all around game being higher than Ribeiro. While I don't think Ribeiro should be traded because of a "maybe" replacement in Plekanec, I have seen enough of both to think that Plekanec has more to offer long term in a similar role. Right now, it may take an injury for him to get the opportunity to show what he can do at the NHL level. His game has developed quite nicely, though.

Closed Thread