HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers acquire John Scott (D) for 2012 5th Round Pick

Old
02-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Declan
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Still disappointed we couldn't get Pahlsson or Gaustad.
If anything we needed more scoring, not another defensive forward.

Gaustad? Really? There's no way in hell I'd want to give up a 1st rounder for him. He's an ok 3rd/4th line center. He's not much of an improvement over Brian Boyle --

I'll keep the 1st any day of the week

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:03 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Meh I do like the toughness insurance on the backend. Perhaps dress him as a forward from time to time to wreck havoc on other teams.

Still disappointed we couldn't get Pahlsson or Gaustad.
I don't think Gaustad is worth a first. And even if they did want to give up a first for Gaustad, it wasn't available if they were willing and trying to include it in a deal for Nash.

02-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
This move signifies that the NYR recognize that the road to the finals will go through Boston. In our previous matches the Rangers have had no answer for the physicality of Lucic. Now you do.
If Scott is on the ice at the same time as Lucic you have much bigger problems than having no answer for his physicality....

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:15 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
no offense, but it's not a Cinderella story if you're the top team in your conference.
Looking back on the season as a whole and with the home grown players being such a core, along with such a young captain in Cally? To me, sure it is.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:16 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I'm calling Scott the Big Show. Is it possible we could get this to play with Scott hits on Gardenvision?

02-27-2012, 05:16 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Atkins View Post
Do you think the house keeping trick will work on players that don't want to fight him?

McDonagh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:20 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
I'm amazed we didn't pick up anything to fill our holes but I'm not nearly as apocalyptic about it as some here.

I LOVE our team. This has been the most exciting team we've had in decades. We've grown to love our boys, what they stand for, what they do. Fact is, the only reason we even have the luxury of talking about filling a hole or two to get the cup is because of the heart and soul our team has shown this year. Did most of you even think the word cup would be able to be seriously mentioned at the beginning of the season? The boys have done it themselves. They've battled for it, proven their worth and earned it. But they've made us so excited that we want the cup now. Fact is, it doesn't have to be this year. We can easily fill those holes in the offseason if things don't go well in the playoffs, and we have a team already that will continue to grow for years.

I don't care what strategy on paper says. My team, our team, has PROVEN to us this year that they know how to win, how to keep winning. Sure, it's easy to look at our lineup and see the need to fill in some holes. But I also am kinda in love with the fact that we're going into battle with what we have. If it's one thing they've shown me this season it's that they find a way to get things done. Who's to say that they can't continue to be even more of a sum of their parts come the playoffs? That they won't step up even more?

There always seems to be a cinderalla story that comes out in any sport's championship. Our team is the perfect story. They have a huge mountain to climb; but I think our team has the strongest mentality geared for the playoffs than any other single team. Then throw Hank into the mix and I don't care what any of you say: This team could ABSOLUTELY win it all as much as anyone else.

The deadline is over and all I know is this: I love this team. I flat out love them. I'm glad we're still the same team today as yesterday and will continue to enjoy the absolute hell out of watching them. They are our boys. They battle like warriors for us and have treated us to a season so far well beyond expectations. So relax, enjoy tonight's game, and try and find a way to believe in them. They've earned at least that much from us fans.
Amen brother. It cost a Ceresnak or a Jason Wilson to get one big tough mean SOB who will beat the sh** out of a guy or two if necassary. Remains to be seen whether he's good enough to play for us but Im not crying a river about this 5th

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Looking back on the season as a whole and with the home grown players being such a core, along with such a young captain in Cally? To me, sure it is.
Cinderella stories happen in the playoffs. Like the Giants giving the Pats their first loss of the season in the Super Bowl.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Durbo20vT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoUjx...eature=related

brings toughness to the backend, but there's usually no fighting in the playoffs...hopefully he turns out to be serviceable and mold into a better player...

Durbo20vT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Thinking about this.. I remember when we signed Boogaard we hated the deal, but we ended loved him (RIP). I don't see a problem with it, he can paly 3-5 minutes a game, protect our player and Hank. And we lose a 5th round draft pick.. Excited to say the least..

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

I don't see him playing much.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:44 PM
OverTheCap

If he plays and can be a physical force, that's great, but if he doesn't play that often, whatever, not a huge loss.

By all accounts, he sounds like a good locker room guy and was well-liked by his teammates in Chicago, which is never a bad thing. And he was teammates with Gabby in Minny in 2008-09.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:46 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Play 7 D against Boston and our division rivals. Bickel and Scott will make sure nobody takes liberties against our players.

Could have a very positive effect come playoff time when our guys are healthier and more rested.

Edit: Also forgot he can play forward. Regardless, the intense physical games coming up are what make the final stretch so intense. Having Scott in the lineup can have a very profound effect in those games.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:48 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Seems like a waste of a 5th round pick. Scott is a poor excuse for a hockey player.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Play 7 D against Boston and our division rivals. Bickel and Scott will make sure nobody takes liberties against our players.

Could have a very positive effect come playoff time when our guys are healthier and more rested.
Scott and Bickel play where does that leave Rupp, who right now offers nothing, Prust fights everybody and he does nothing

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post

I disagree. Look what everybody said about Boogaard, and then Gaborik gets cheapshotted anyway and blows out his shoulder.

I mean, it's not an atrocious trade, just an insignificant one.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:51 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I disagree. Look what everybody said about Boogaard, and then Gaborik gets cheapshotted anyway and blows out his shoulder.

I mean, it's not an atrocious trade, just an insignificant one.
Boogaard played 22 games, injured a majority of the time. He also wasn't himself that year.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:52 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
Thinking about this.. I remember when we signed Boogaard we hated the deal, but we ended loved him (RIP). I don't see a problem with it, he can paly 3-5 minutes a game, protect our player and Hank. And we lose a 5th round draft pick.. Excited to say the least..
It's not proper to say when someone dies but Boogaard never helped at all.

My guess is Scott will play a few regular season games against tough lineups when they rest guys. Doubt he will see playoff ice and doubt he is here next year.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:55 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Scott and Bickel play where does that leave Rupp, who right now offers nothing, Prust fights everybody and he does nothing
Remember when Rupp beat the living **** out of Kopecky a few months ago? That counts as nothing?

That type of support is very important in any situation.

And aside from the occasional landed punch, Prust and his TRex arms mainly just keep some of the tough guys in the box and honest. Not to mention he's a not a bad hockey player. Why do you think Torts keeps Bickel in the lineup? He loves the physicality he brings.

I'm not a huge fighting advocate or anything, I just think the trade, while not significant, can have some nice positive effects.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:57 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
It's not proper to say when someone dies but Boogaard never helped at all.

My guess is Scott will play a few regular season games against tough lineups when they rest guys. Doubt he will see playoff ice and doubt he is here next year.
Exactly, nothing wrong with this.

Old
02-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

any chance they use him to screen the goalie for the PP. i mean with a guy his size you would think it can help..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:04 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I don't know where everyone is coming from saying he can't play. How do people know this? Raise your hand if you've actually seen him play more than 5 games this year. Anyone? Anyone? Raise your hand if you were actually paying attention to his game. Anyone? Even though he doesn't get a lot of minutes a game, for a guy who supposedly will spend all his time in the penalty box, he sure has an abnormally low number of penalty minutes. 48 in 29 games? That's less than 2 minutes a game. He'll fight for sure and if you watch his fights, you should know this guy is freakin' strong; he can clear creases. If Torts can take Stalman, Eminger, Bickel, and Woywitka and make them look serviceable, he can do it for John Scott. Let's see if this guy actually plays before we call him a "waste." He looks like another incarnation of Boogaard. hockey skills TBD
And ten of those 48 are a misconduct

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:08 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Next season preason opening line-up against Philthy.

Bickel Rupp Prust

Scott McIlrath

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:10 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
I don't think this word means what you think it means. you might want to go back and read Cinderella. Unless you are referring to us as a Cinderella story when years 2000-2010 are included, then yes. This season?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Next season preason opening line-up against Philthy.

Bickel Rupp Prust

Scott McIlrath
I like grit but we don't want to become Vityaz here.

I doubt Scott is re-signed unless he makes a big impression playing on the right side of the ice. And by impression I mean outplaying both Eminger and Bickel, which is relatively unlikely.

But it wouldn't be the first big, previously considered unskilled guy the NYR found a serviceable role for.