HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers acquire John Scott (D) for 2012 5th Round Pick

Old
02-28-2012, 02:06 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
I like this move. This is why you don't give enforcers term and $$ as UFA's, you can usually find them cheap. Scott made 500k+ this year and is as tough as they come! I don't understand how anyone can be upset with a move like this.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
If he can create a bit of space for some of our guys, I'd consider that a bargain. A plus would be putting a beat down on some of the heavies in our division.

I'm wondering if he'll be in the line up vs boston coming up?
I hope so.

Another thing, Yes he's bad offensively. But he's a big D and a utility. He can clear space, and protect guys like Gabby and Richards. Very physical as well

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Wolski couldn't even find his way into the lineup.
He couldn't find his way out of the tub, LOL.

If Torts and Sully can do with Scott what they did with Bickel, we will have become a much tougher team to play against.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:09 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Deterrent's don't exist anymore. We see that every day in the NHL.

Rupp didn't stop Clarkson or Boulton from ****ing around. Boogaard didn't stop guys from ****ing around- sure, it was ****ing awesome when Rupp rearranged Kopecky's face, but that's after he cheapshotted MDZ- and whatever big goons other teams have don't stop us from being really physical.

Just seems like a useless move. Can't be too exited or angry about it. I wish we were exploring the Kostitsyn trade rather then this one.
That's a popular misconception IMO. The thing is it's all situational. Let's say Marchand does a clip on MDZ like he did on Salo. Maybe he walks away but Shawn Thornton (a smaller heavyweight) OTOH has to answer the bell for him and gets taken apart by Scott--in the manner of Westgarth. It could have an effect on Boston's locker room. The thing is though if one team starts targeting your better players you can start targeting theirs. In that event there are going to be fights--having Scott around is not necessarily a bad thing then.

As far as last night Boulton avoided Rupp and took on the smaller Prust. Is he afraid of Rupp? Doubt it--I think it was more strategic. Dubinsky angered the Devils bench by running (for one) Parise. Clarkson is a smart fighter--but there's limits to his effectiveness in that role. As for his hit--he went way in the air but it wasn't that hard.

Again I don't see that many upcoming regular season games where dressing Scott is necessary.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Wolski wasn't adding any offense from the press box.
But he was a damn nice piece to have if needed. Better than Scott sitting up there thats for sure. Injuries happen people, it's a long run for a cup and if we really plan to be in it for the long haul having WW ready to go woudln't have been the worst thing. Asking MZA or Kreider to come in and take a top 6 spot might be too much for them at this point, esp in the playoffs.

BTW Torts don't like to play MZA either so we just shoulda dumped him for picks and goons too.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:15 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Deterrents would still exist if the league did away with the instigator penalty.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Radek27

Quote:
He couldn't find his way out of the tub, LOL.

If Torts and Sully can do with Scott what they did with Bickel, we will have become a much tougher team to play against.
Yes just what we needed, more muckers and goons!

Thing I love is in the playoffs there is no fighting, yes more goons! Less talent!

Old
02-28-2012, 03:19 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Am I the only one who thinks the coaching staff could make Scott somewhat serviceable as a defenseman?

He's got the size and reach...he may be a terrible skater, but if they can teach him to compensate for that with sound defense, he could be more than just an intimidating presence.

Probably wishful thinking on my part, though.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Yes just what we needed, more muckers and goons!

Thing I love is in the playoffs there is no fighting, yes more goons! Less talent!
What would you prefer in your Rangertopia?

Old
02-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Radek27

Quote:
What would you prefer in your Rangertopia?
I would have just stayted with what we had. It seems like we made these moves just to make a move which is never smart. Did we really need John Scott? Really?

Lets see someone go down in the top six long term like Callahan did last spring, lets see how good Scott makes everyone feel then compared to Wolski. Hey but we will have that extra 3rd rounder too!

Old
02-28-2012, 03:34 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the coaching staff could make Scott somewhat serviceable as a defenseman?

He's got the size and reach...he may be a terrible skater, but if they can teach him to compensate for that with sound defense, he could be more than just an intimidating presence.

Probably wishful thinking on my part, though.
29 is a bit old to be learning how to skate better. No point in having any illusions of what kind of player we just got. Personally I wouldn't even try him on the blueline. A smart coach sees him on defense and puts out St. Louis, Ovechkin, Malkin etc. and tries to exploit that.

Old
02-28-2012, 03:46 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
John Scott is a beast. Plain and simple.

He's not going to play every game, nor should he, but the guy is scary to watch in a fight. He's probably one of the strongest guys in the game.
I'm going out on a limb and say Scott was brought in to protect the younger players on team, but is also there as a nuclear option for when Kreider signs and teams try and **** with him

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Vitto79

I actually think he may get resigned as the last guy on the Roster. Spare Winger/Dman

Does he get right into the lineup now? I doubt it as Sather will use the we are playing good exuse

I cant believe Bickel is in ahead of Eminger........remember when Bickel was signed and people were like why? Good for him

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:54 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Has Scott commented on the trade or anything? nobody interviewed him?

McDonagh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:55 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Lets see someone go down in the top six long term like Callahan did last spring, lets see how good Scott makes everyone feel then compared to Wolski. Hey but we will have that extra 3rd rounder too!
I really do not understand the facination with the need to insert a round peg into a square hole. Wolski WAS NOT playing the way that Torts demands. As such, he WAS NOT playing. Nor was he goign to play. If he had a) blocked shots b) battled c) not float d) played responsibly defensively, he would have played. The fact that Torts choose to use Bickel as a 4th line forward tells you that he was NOT getting into a game.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:55 PM
beastly115

This move makes me so angry. I wish we had that 5th round pick back. It would have been sooo useful come draft day. Damn Scott and his 500k cap hit!

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I really do not understand the facination with the need to insert a round peg into a square hole. Wolski WAS NOT playing the way that Torts demands. As such, he WAS NOT playing. Nor was he goign to play. If he had a) blocked shots b) battled c) not float d) played responsibly defensively, he would have played. The fact that Torts choose to use Bickel as a 4th line forward tells you that he was NOT getting into a game.
Bingoooooo.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
If Scott can ragdoll a Debbie, Cryer, and Fishie in the next few weeks then the trade will be worth the 5th round pick.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Pizza

Quote:
I would have just stayted with what we had. It seems like we made these moves just to make a move which is never smart. Did we really need John Scott? Really?

OK. We totally disagree....but OK.

I don't think this group making the decision (Sather, Torts, Shony et. al.) makes a move...to just make a move. Not at this point any way. Just do not see that.

Wolski had even less respect as a player from Torts than Crusher did. He was never going to find a way into the line up. He'll have a handful of good games as a Panther. I suspect he will then be dealt or released by them as well. A 3rd rounder is a pretty good return for a player that proved nearly worthless as a Ranger.

Lastly, the play offs can be pretty physical. A player like Scott who sticks up for team mates is worth more than a player like Wolski in an environment like that.

Never did get the Wolski love. A real head scratcher for me. A guy that never bought into the system, that had a chance to transform his game, and blew it, imo.

Old
02-28-2012, 04:12 PM
SomE

I wish people understood the value of having a guy on your team that no one wants to fight.

SomE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
I wish people understood the value of having a guy on your team that no one wants to fight.
During a tournament that no one fights in? That value is -0

Quote:
OK. We totally disagree....but OK.

I don't think this group making the decision (Sather, Torts, Shony et. al.) makes a move...to just make a move. Not at this point any way. Just do not see that.

Wolski had even less respect as a player from Torts than Crusher did. He was never going to find a way into the line up. He'll have a handful of good games as a Panther. I suspect he will then be dealt or released by them as well. A 3rd rounder is a pretty good return for a player that proved nearly worthless as a Ranger.

Lastly, the play offs can be pretty physical. A player like Scott who sticks up for team mates is worth more than a player like Wolski in an environment like that.

Never did get the Wolski love. A real head scratcher for me. A guy that never bought into the system, that had a chance to transform his game, and blew it, imo.
What do you wanna bet Torts would have played Wolski if a top 6 player goes down? He sure would have, management would have told him to with Wolski cap hit and talent level. In 12 GP in the playoffs the last two seasons Wolski has put up 8 points, thats good.

Old
02-28-2012, 04:26 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
What do you wanna bet Torts would have played Wolski if a top 6 player goes down? He sure would have, management would have told him to with Wolski cap hit and talent level. In 12 GP in the playoffs the last two seasons Wolski has put up 8 points, thats good.
He did when Dubinsky went down with an injury. He played one game in the top-6 before he was moved to the 4th line and played 5-6 minutes a night. Tortorella played Mitchell in the top-6 over him against Toronto and Montreal.

He was never going to be utilized here. Better to get something for him than nothing. It'd be different if Wolski could justify his nonexistent battle level on the ice with above-average offensive production or helped create significant offensive chances consistently, but he didn't.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:35 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

John Scott listed as #28 on the NYR site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @HowlingsToday
Thanks to Adam Gavriel for this, "John Scott listed as jersey #28 on NYR website"
https://twitter.com/#!/HowlingsToday...18240184614912

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:43 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
If no one is going to bother fighting him what does he bring exactly? You really think guys are scared of him to the point that they'll think twice about running Rangers? They'll continue doing so and not fight him. This isn't 20 years ago where players were seen as soft for not answering the bell. Nowadays they're "smart" for drawing a penalty or not dropping the gloves with someone that can hurt them.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:46 PM
eco's bones

Talent isn't a be all end all thing for me. It takes a lot of different elements to make a good team. You got to have scorers for sure but you have to have pluggers and if some SOB on another team injures one of your guys even if it is clean but especially if it's dirty you've got to make that team pay somehow or another. Just to put it into their heads that they've done something 'bad'. 'Bad' is relative you know but...even so.

As far as this team goes Wolski and Christensen stood out as the two floaters. Both of them have skill and it's not as if I don't want them to do well with their new teams (though not against our team) but neither had bought into the things that to the rest of the team came naturally. 'Let's block shots, let's take and give hits--let's grind games out'. Even Gaborik and Richards get in the way.

In a way I'm very happy about how the trade deadline went. We've still got all of MDZ, McDonagh, Kreider, Thomas, McIlrath, Erixon, Miller, Anisimov and Dubinsky. These are all young guys who want to be here and who will do whatever they have to do. What else can you ask for form them? I see Scott as a guy who 'might' just keep other team's honest. I don't see him as a long term Ranger but for the short term I can definitely see the possibility of a benefit of him protecting his new teammates.