HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers acquire John Scott (D) for 2012 5th Round Pick

Old
02-28-2012, 06:01 PM
azrok22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Talent isn't a be all end all thing for me. It takes a lot of different elements to make a good team. You got to have scorers for sure but you have to have pluggers and if some SOB on another team injures one of your guys even if it is clean but especially if it's dirty you've got to make that team pay somehow or another. Just to put it into their heads that they've done something 'bad'. 'Bad' is relative you know but...even so.

As far as this team goes Wolski and Christensen stood out as the two floaters. Both of them have skill and it's not as if I don't want them to do well with their new teams (though not against our team) but neither had bought into the things that to the rest of the team came naturally. 'Let's block shots, let's take and give hits--let's grind games out'. Even Gaborik and Richards get in the way.

In a way I'm very happy about how the trade deadline went. We've still got all of MDZ, McDonagh, Kreider, Thomas, McIlrath, Erixon, Miller, Anisimov and Dubinsky. These are all young guys who want to be here and who will do whatever they have to do. What else can you ask for form them? I see Scott as a guy who 'might' just keep other team's honest. I don't see him as a long term Ranger but for the short term I can definitely see the possibility of a benefit of him protecting his new teammates.
I thought Eminger would absolutely suck, and Torts and Sullivan proved me wrong.

I thought Woywitka would absolutely suck, and Torts and Sullivan proved me wrong.

I thought Stralman would absolutely suck, and Torts and Sullivan proved me wrong.

I thought Bickel would absolutely suck, and Torts and Sullivan proved me wrong.

I think I'll give Scott a chance because obviously I have no clue. We don't need him to win a Norris, but simply to be serviceable.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Krams
what a time

vCash: 69
Scott doesn't even need to be serviceable. He can't be atrocious, but he isn't here to play even decent defense. He's here to play in games against the Flyers, Devils, Bruins to protect Lundqvist, Gaborik, McDonagh, and the like. The second that someone hits Gabby a little too hard and Scott gives them a beat down, this trade can be considered successful.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
I wish people understood the value of having a guy on your team that no one wants to fight.
Please explain the value of having a guy on your team that no one wants to fight...In light of the fact that no one has to fight him if they don't want to.

Khelvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Leetch66

He is about the only guy in the NHL that is not scared of Chara/Lucic...and I expect them to dance before the season ends . Boston are not going to roll over and let us steam roll them . All it would take is a hammering of Chara/Lucic...and we are destroying that team !

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 07:57 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
John Scott listed as #28 on the NYR site...

https://twitter.com/#!/HowlingsToday...18240184614912
oh my other favorite ex Ranger fighters Orr and Domi!

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Krams
what a time

Having Scott on the back line ensures that this ******** doesn't happen anymore.

Old
02-28-2012, 09:10 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
He is about the only guy in the NHL that is not scared of Chara/Lucic...and I expect them to dance before the season ends . Boston are not going to roll over and let us steam roll them . All it would take is a hammering of Chara/Lucic...and we are destroying that team !
This is *EXACTLY* the reason he was brought in.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Unpredictable1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
Please explain the value of having a guy on your team that no one wants to fight...In light of the fact that no one has to fight him if they don't want to.
Ok so there's a couple of these comments in here that fall into the same category.

Well, have you ever laced up a pair of skates and played a competitive game of hockey? I have.

Have you ever done it against a team that has a guy that would smear your parts on the boards with one punch or hit and made sure his presence was known?

Well let me tell you something, you think twice about some of your actions.

On the flip side, if that guy is on your team, you're skating around and playing like you're 6'2/220 instead of 5'10/180. They just have that effect on you.

John Scott just may get spot time here and there against select opponents down the stretch, and so he should. Also get him used to our system. If the need arises, he'll be ready for some spotted minutes in the playoffs.

He's had a number of fights where someone really cleaned a guy on his team with a questionable or illegal hit that hurt his teammate and he immediately imposed his will upon them. I like that. Call me old school, but it still happens in this day n age whether you like it or not.

Sorry fellas, but I like having this guy on the roster.

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Pizza

You took the words out of my mouth Brownie.

We have a segment of the fan base that completely discounts the fear/ intimidation factor in hockey.

Where is the video of Boogey just staring that guy down last season? Guy was so scared he would not even look at the big guy.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:33 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
You took the words out of my mouth Brownie.

We have a segment of the fan base that completely discounts the fear/ intimidation factor in hockey.

Where is the video of Boogey just staring that guy down last season? Guy was so scared he would not even look at the big guy.
No, we don't discount it. I love Prust, and I went from hating Rupp to appreciating what he brings.

But when Boogaard was brought here to make everybody **** their pants and protect Gaborik, the guy still gets cheapshotted and has a bum shoulder all season. You bring up the one instance where his presence may have helped compared to, besides the Edmonton game last year, every other game he suited up for.

You guys are overrating the role players like Scott play in the game today. It's all about the middleweights.

We heard the EXACT SAME sentences about Boogaard, where guys will play like they're bigger. However, we play like that without guys like Scott, and Boogaard didn't have a marked influence on that either, since he barely played.

Without the instigator players like Scott would be useful. But with it, he's not. Sure, let him fight Lucic and whoever, if Lucic is stupid enough to drop the gloves after gooning it up. But if he's dressed in the playoffs he's going to be a net negative to the roster.

Like I said, not an atrocious move but i'd rather have the 5th to gamble on a Hagelin or a Fasth type.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Unpredictable1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
No, we don't discount it. I love Prust, and I went from hating Rupp to appreciating what he brings.

But when Boogaard was brought here to make everybody **** their pants and protect Gaborik, the guy still gets cheapshotted and has a bum shoulder all season. You bring up the one instance where his presence may have helped compared to, besides the Edmonton game last year, every other game he suited up for.

You guys are overrating the role players like Scott play in the game today. It's all about the middleweights.

Without the instigator players like Scott would be useful. But with it, he's not. Sure, let him fight Lucic and whoever, if Lucic is stupid enough to drop the gloves after gooning it up. But if he's dressed in the playoffs he's going to be a net negative to the roster.

You can't really compare Scott and Boogy in the sense of playing the actual game too. Scott can somewhat keep up to the play and probably won't require near the same amount of work to get acclimated to Torts' system. Don't get me wrong, he won't be a rockstar either.

I loved Boogy in his short time here, God rest his soul, but outside of his fighting and his memorable goal against the caps he couldn't play the game that good. Scott is an upgrade in that department.

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Krams
what a time

Quote:

We heard the EXACT SAME sentences about Boogaard, where guys will play like they're bigger. However, we play like that without guys like Scott, and Boogaard didn't have a marked influence on that either, since he barely played.

Like I said, not an atrocious move but i'd rather have the 5th to gamble on a Hagelin or a Fasth type.
Who cares about the instigator penalty at this point in the season? We're all but guaranteed a playoff spot regardless. If Scott needs to take an instigator to protect someone like Gaborik then so be it. We're in a comfortable enough spot given our position in the standings that an extra penalty here or there to send a message to the cheap-shotting teams like Boston that reckless behavior with our stars will not be tolerated, is no big deal.

Scott brings an element to this team that we were devoid of prior to this trade. I see nothing but good coming out of this acquisition by Sather.

Old
02-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Pizza

Quote:

There are folks in this fan base who see no use in physical or intimidating players at all. You would not appear to be one of them.

I used the Boogaard example in that one instance because it was one of the clearer moments when what I'm talking about is absolutely true. Not because he was particularly effective in that role as a Ranger. He was not. But he was for most of his career where he practically scared the crap out of people. He had an effect. There is no denying it.

I've played my fair share. I know what it's like to play against bigger stronger players and also have those guys as team mates.

Size. Aggression. Intimidation. It plays a role in hockey. People want to deny it, OK. People can also claim the sky is green. Does not change the facts.

Old
02-28-2012, 10:57 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

It does, I agree.

But we're not a soft team. We don't play soft and haven't in a while, unless you ask Joe Thornton.

And we manage to do that while icing a team of very competent players. Sure, i'd love to have Scott skate over and break Marchand's face, but he's not going to be able to do that.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Pizza

No we are not soft. But there is no downside to being a little harder. The Rangers have taken a boat load of fighting majors this season. As Sather said yesterday a few have really born the brunt of that effort. Prust most of all. Rupp as well. I'm sure they would love a bit of back up.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Krams
what a time

Quote:
And we manage to do that while icing a team of very competent players. Sure, i'd love to have Scott skate over and break Marchand's face, but he's not going to be able to do that.
Why not? As I said, at this point in the season, the message could be infinitely more important than a penalty. Especially considering it's very possible we could be meeting up with the Bruins in the postseason.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:12 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissFreakinWatch View Post
Why not? As I said, at this point in the season, the message could be infinitely more important than a penalty. Especially considering it's very possible we could be meeting up with the Bruins in the postseason.
I mean, we're not dressing Scott in the postseason, so it wouldn't have any effect. We'd be stupid to goon it up like that in the PO's especially.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Krams
what a time

Quote:
I mean, we're not dressing Scott in the postseason, so it wouldn't have any effect. We'd be stupid to goon it up like that in the PO's especially.
If Sauer isn't coming back, you have a choice of Eminger/Woywitka/Bickel/Scott. It depends on who we're playing.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:46 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
Ok so there's a couple of these comments in here that fall into the same category.

Well, have you ever laced up a pair of skates and played a competitive game of hockey? I have.

Have you ever done it against a team that has a guy that would smear your parts on the boards with one punch or hit and made sure his presence was known?
Yes, and yes. At 5'7" I used to have my ass handed to me regularly, especially by big, nasty defensemen. It didn't change the way I played, and it didn't change the way anyone else on the team played.

Edit: Actually, I apologize. Occasionally I would get more chippy with my stick when I played against one of them. As in taking two handers against someone that punched me, hard. I knew I couldn't fight the guy, so I'd try to take his head off with my stick. I guess that wasn't the best idea, in retrospect...

Khelvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:30 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissFreakinWatch View Post

Having Scott on the back line ensures that this ******** doesn't happen anymore.
Because Rupp, Prust, Bickel, Dubinsky, and Boyle isn't enough to ensure that?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:56 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
I would love to see the Bruins be down by a couple of goals late in the 3rd on Sunday and start pulling some chippy stuff against our realhockey players. They put their top line of skillplayers out on the ice for a faceoff in their zone and then we change lines and send out Scott - Bickel - Rupp - Boyle - Prust. The Garden would explode!!!

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:44 AM
Krams
what a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
No, not at all. People are genuinely scared of Scott. Nobody is scared of those five. Scott is a ****ing freak of nature who has annihilated everyone he's ever fought.

Old
02-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post

Then he can still kick some. But I get your point.

Sticky Fingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:19 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post

Well let me tell you something, you think twice about some of your actions.

On the flip side, if that guy is on your team, you're skating around and playing like you're 6'2/220 instead of 5'10/180. They just have that effect on you.

John Scott just may get spot time here and there against select opponents down the stretch, and so he should. Also get him used to our system. If the need arises, he'll be ready for some spotted minutes in the playoffs.

He's had a number of fights where someone really cleaned a guy on his team with a questionable or illegal hit that hurt his teammate and he immediately imposed his will upon them. I like that. Call me old school, but it still happens in this day n age whether you like it or not.

Sorry fellas, but I like having this guy on the roster.
scott is only useful if he can play a regular shift. i hope he can, but if he was so good, i don't think chicago would have let him go. that said, maybe the rangers system - with great backchecking and team defense - works better for a guy like scott and he can play a regular shift. if not, though, he's only gonna be intimidating the girl selling beers in the sky box. if he's here just to dance a couple times with a goon on boston or philly, it's not a great move. if he can play a regular shift and keep teams honest, he's a great great addition. i hope it's the latter, but i worry that he's the former, at that low price.
we'll see.

egelband is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:45 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Why do people bring up boyle when talking abouttoughness and fighting.He is neither! What are u people watching?

surf is offline   Reply With Quote