HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Good ball hockey progress!

Old
02-25-2012, 02:13 AM
BHDefensiveForward

vCash: 500
Good ball hockey progress!

So I've been working on my "Ball Hockey Shot" for a while now because I'm use to Ice Hockey, and shooting a puck for so long is hindering me, but I think I found a good solution!

This only applies to wrist and snap shots (depending if you setup or not). I find the following works for me:

When you get ready to take a wrist shot, put the ball either at the mid point or toe of your blade, and keep your blade neutral until release! Sweep forward using your bottom hand, and roll the ball forward in the direction you need the shot to go. Be sure to pull back with your top hand, but everything relies on the bottom hand! Quickly release the shot, and bring the stick off the floor for high shots, or leave it on the floor for ground level shots. Insure you reach and point with your bottom hand to full extension.

Aiming is 100% with the bottom hand, not much is done with the top hand other than pulling back. However put all your weight and pressure on the bottom hand, do not attempt to put any pressure on your top hand, other than pulling back. I can release a fast shot just by sweeping and flexing the stick. I find that with a ball, if it's rolling in the direction you started with, as long as you stay neutral, it will finish in the same direction after you release. The only thing that changes is height based on your follow through.

Reason you can start with the ball at mid to toe is because it's not a puck, you don't require a good spin to get the ball off the ground. I find my shots are harder when shooting at the mid point, mind you I use a sakic curve.

Anyone else shoot like this? I find it works, and produces very accurate shots! If I shoot the ball like a puck by cupping it, and then releasing it, I find it hard to keep consistency.

Your thoughts?

BHDefensiveForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:01 AM
AIREAYE

If I shoot at the toe, the ball will rocket wide top right by a good margin...only because I'm used to shooting on ice haha

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:24 PM
BHDefensiveForward

For the toe you need to cup the ball so it's as if it was on the mid and netrual, but only works with certain curves. I find sweeping from heel to toe a waste of time for ball hockey.

Old
02-25-2012, 08:58 PM
AIREAYE

Agreed, the lack of force on a ball (think mass x acceleration compared to a heavier puck) renders the heel-to-toe motion redundant.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't play ball hockey but if I'm playing dryland with a ball it's all snap and slap shots. Wristers are useless because a ball is not a disc.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:03 AM
BHDefensiveForward

I wouldn't say they're useless. More than half of my ball hockey season goals were wrist shots, and I'm playing against goalies in div 1/2. Snap shot does provide for better scoring because it's released faster and usually harder than a wrist shot in ball hockey.

Old
02-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDefensiveForward View Post
I wouldn't say they're useless. More than half of my ball hockey season goals were wrist shots, and I'm playing against goalies in div 1/2. Snap shot does provide for better scoring because it's released faster and usually harder than a wrist shot in ball hockey.
He doesn't play ball hockey so there is no point in him practising a wrist shot with a ball.

02-27-2012, 02:02 PM
BHDefensiveForward

Correct, but the thread is about ball hockey wrist shots + sweeping setup for a snaps.

Not sure if he was making a general statement, or a personal.

Last edited by BHDefensiveForward: 02-27-2012 at 02:10 PM.