HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[VAN/BUF] Hodgson and Sulzer for Z. Kassian and Gragnani

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Andre Boudrias

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
Does Kassian have any sort of "hands"... So we can kind of compare him to bert?

Knowing AV, how are we going to expect Gragnani to play when he wont let Ballard play?

Old
02-27-2012, 04:42 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
From an oiler fans perspective( I know you love our perspective)--Klassen is a tough kid who can slide up and down the roster in a few slots. Hodgson is a guy who should be getting top 6 minutes, but is behind too many people. It is a good move for both sides, however, in ten years for those who just looks at goals--assists and pts--the deal wont be close
last I checked the NHL "just look at goals" to decide who wins the games that win the cup

Old
02-27-2012, 04:43 PM
BloatedGuppy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Also, I said there might be real concerns about Hodgson making the kind of defensive mistake that would cause the team in the clutch in the playoffs. Maybe a few years from now you can trust better Hodgson's play in his own end but right now he makes some glaring mistake in coverage and has trouble (as stated) in getting back quickly enough to break up plays in his own end.
I'm a little surprised more people aren't talking about this. As soon as I heard Hodgson had been dealt, and before I even knew who we were getting back, my first thought was "I guess those defensive problems caught up with him". I have some mixed feelings about the trade, but there's no denying I was a little uneasy about Hogdson heading into the playoffs. His defensive zone coverage was...lamentable...to say the least. The Canucks defensive game has taken a noticeable step back this year, and I think the change from (two eyed) Malhotra to Hodgson as the centerpiece of that third unit was a big part of that. I don't think it's a coincidence that they went out and got Sammy Pahlsson to eat some of those minutes.

I'm not trying to spin this, either. I think there's a good chance that Buffalo got the best player in the trade, or at least the safest player. Kassian could be another Bertuzzi, or he could be another Raffi Torres. I'm not really sold on Gragnani, but Gillis has done good work with reclamation projects like Lapierre.

I'm sad to see Hodgson go. I loved his character, and I loved his skill set. But I can't say I'm THAT surprised.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik2Daniel View Post
lol

Hodgson averaging 12:43 this season in 63 games. 16 goals and 17 assists. (.52 PPG pace)

Kassian averaging 11:55 this season in 27 games. 3 goals and 4 assists. (.26 PPG pace)

Please... Hodgson is the best player on the team that could replace either if there was an injury... playing limited ice time and putting up those numbers and he's not a 2nd liner?
Keep in mind that this is Kassian first year as a pro unlike Hodgson. You should compare him to Hodgson of last year.

I think you're really overreacting.

Old
LeftCoast

On the bright side, Hodgson now has an outside shot at the Calder.

Zack Kassian will immediately be sent down so that he is eligible to be placed on the Chicago Wolves Clear Day Roster. He may also be called back up immediately, depending on if the Canucks want to give him a shot at the NHL roster.

Old
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Sharks fan coming in to say if realignment goes through and you guys are in the same division as us I look forward to swearing at Kassian as he kills half of our team.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:45 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
I meant to say ONE of our most talented forwards people. Obviously he's not the most talented player in the league or on our team.

I wonder what our 2nd PP looks like now. A lot less intimidating that's for sure.
Put Kassian or Burrows in front of the net and move Kesler back to the 2nd PP unit.

Old
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
I'm a little surprised more people aren't talking about this. As soon as I heard Hodgson had been dealt, and before I even knew who we were getting back, my first thought was "I guess those defensive problems caught up with him". I have some mixed feelings about the trade, but there's no denying I was a little uneasy about Hogdson heading into the playoffs. His defensive zone coverage was...lamentable...to say the least. The Canucks defensive game has taken a noticeable step back this year, and I think the change from (two eyed) Malhotra to Hodgson as the centerpiece of that third unit was a big part of that. I don't think it's a coincidence that they went out and got Sammy Pahlsson to eat some of those minutes.

I'm not trying to spin this, either. I think there's a good chance that Buffalo got the best player in the trade, or at least the safest player. Kassian could be another Bertuzzi, or he could be another Raffi Torres. I'm not really sold on Gragnani, but Gillis has done good work with reclamation projects like Lapierre.

I'm sad to see Hodgson go. I loved his character, and I loved his skill set. But I can't say I'm THAT surprised.
You're not alone, there's been a few of us who have consistently brought up Cody's defensive issues. There's a lot of good things about Hodgson but his 40-ish points from the 3rd line while playing butter-soft minutes is NOT an improvement on Malhotra putting up 30-ish last year while facing the toughest match-ups in the league. Not sure why so many people overlook that.

Old
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Sharks fan coming in to say if realignment goes through and you guys are in the same division as us I look forward to swearing at Kassian as he kills half of our team.

I laughed pretty hard there.

GOod thing you got rid of Mcginn

Old
02-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
last I checked the NHL "just look at goals" to decide who wins the games that win the cup
You really look at games just for goals? What about preventing goals? Or how about how the goals happen?

The sedins had more goals then lucic or marchand, yet did that translate ?

Old
02-27-2012, 04:47 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Why? Hodgson knows we don't want him.
well then maybe he signed them "LOL Yeah like i do this deal"

Old
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
Does Kassian have any sort of "hands"... So we can kind of compare him to bert?

Knowing AV, how are we going to expect Gragnani to play when he wont let Ballard play?
He has good hands but is work in progress. He's only 20 and this is his first professional year. If AV decides to play him a ton, then he could be a stud come playoff time. Or he might have Hodgson's role last year... 4th liner.

Gragnani needs to play to remain an asset beyond this year (he'll be a class 6 UFA based on the CBA unless he plays a total of 80 games, he played ~60 so far). AV just seems to have something against Ballard not because of his play. He was never even given a chance here (and with this trade, the writing is on the wall, he's gone come draft day for whatever MG can get for him... or he gets waiver to play in Chicago next season and come up for playoff depth... very expensive playoff depth).

Old
xXxCrosby87Xx*

TSN Tradecentre. Zack Kassian Cody Hodgson Deal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Tz_SkksLE

Old
02-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Treefingers
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post

I think most of us need posts like this from outside fans. Thanks!

Old
02-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Chain Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnedtoast3000 View Post
Crawford just brought up a great point, imagine this as a 2nd line in a few years:

Kassian-Kesler-Jensen

*drools*
I don't think it's a great point. Crawford is just using the guise of imagination to re-assure our fears, or maybe he's doing it to justify the deal in his own mind. Needless to say if Kassian was the next Lucic we'd all be drooling.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Did Reinprecht's play put a bullseye on Hodgson? Maybe they think he'll come up and stick on the roster come playoff time.

Is Schroeder now a front-runner for that 3rd line centre position next season?

I hope this move means management expects Kassian to be ready to play on the Sedins wing, sooner than later. If they don't project Kassian to be anything more than a 20-20 guy, this is a very poor deal.

I'll reserve judgement somewhat until we see what Kassian and Gragnani look like in Canuck uniforms but this was a very risky move by Gillis IMO. Though Kassian does have a very intriguing skillset, and vicious left hand.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Hollywood Burrows

Quote:

agreed 100%

Old
02-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
Did Gillis ever have a news conference? Where are the Gillis quotes coming from? I was really looking forward to watching him answer the media on this, would be a little disappointed if it was just a radio interview over the Team 1040.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Radiolad

Can I throw something out there?

Any thoughts on maybe something behind the scenes we don't know about?

I just cant see MG making this trade at this junction without having reason.

just a thought. please don't flame...I'm just as upset as most.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durr View Post
Did Gillis ever have a news conference? Where are the Gillis quotes coming from? I was really looking forward to watching him answer the media on this, would be a little disappointed if it was just a radio interview over the Team 1040.
Just 1040 for now. They're not in Vancouver right now so that might be why there's no live video conference.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:53 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Did Reinprecht's play put a bullseye on Hodgson? Maybe they think he'll come up and stick on the roster come playoff time.

Is Schroeder now a front-runner for that 3rd line centre position next season?

I hope this move means management expects Kassian to be ready to play on the Sedins wing, sooner than later. If they don't project Kassian to be anything more than a 20-20 guy, this is a very poor deal.

I'll reserve judgement somewhat until we see what Kassian and Gragnani look like in Canuck uniforms but this was a very risky move by Gillis IMO. Though Kassian does have a very intriguing skillset, and vicious left hand.
Given MG's recent deadline deals (i.e. everyone isn't a rental), Samuel Pahlsson is probably the one to start next year as the 3rd line center. No idea if MG can convince him to take a discount tho...

Management better project him to be a 30/30 guy or this deal could end up being one of the worst in history.

Old
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
We already had Pahlson, we could have sat Hodgson if we had to. We are going to be sitting Kassian. AV isn't going to play him once he makes a couple of mistakes, it'll be Raymond - Pahlsson - Hansen, Manny Lappy Wiese/Bitz. Maybe Kassian proves me wrong, I doubt it.

There is nothing in this trade that will help this playoffs and only stuff that can hurt. If Hodgson still struggled you pull the trigger in the off season.

Last edited by me2: 02-27-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old
CallMeJerry

I just got back home and I'm sure I'm the millionth guy who said this but my mind is blown.

On the one hand I really like Cody and thought he was untouchable - that missing piece of offense from last season. A guy who could step in if Hank or Kesler got hurt.

On the other hand I've grown to have almost unconditional trust in MGGM. We've all been waiting for his promised "bold moves" - well...

Old
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durr View Post
You're missing him on SN this very second.

Burningblades

the Stanley cup contenders Canucks trade young roster player for 2 players who didn't make the roster of a team outside the playoffs!

Sick of hearing Kassian could be good in 3-4 years, the canucks are going to be a terrible team in 5 years anyways when the Sedins & Burrows are gone and our D core and Luongo are old.

Closed Thread