HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[VAN/BUF] Hodgson and Sulzer for Z. Kassian and Gragnani

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Soichiro
頑張れカナックス!

vCash: 500
This is and will be a good trade for the Canucks. The overreactions are ludicrous.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:39 PM
NuxFan09

Lost so much respect for my team. So much respect...

Old
02-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Ehrhoff at least had a 40 point season under his belt, and had played 21+ minutes per game before we got him.

MAG hasn't played nearly as well as Ehrhoff before we got him.
True, but Ehrhoff wasn't a + PPG player in the playoffs at any stage in his career either. Gragnani was last year. There's definitely some potential - and big-game potential at that - in Gragnani.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
It's going to take awhile to digest this. As others have said it's not about getting Kassian or what. It's moving Hodgson that hurts after all the time we invested in him and the roller coaster that we've all been through.

Having Cody back in a Sabres jersey on Saturday won't help.
And he'll probably be back with the #19 on his back.

Old
CpatainCanuck

Gillis seems to like to gamble on players that are unknown entities, or are in a bad situation.

Good Moves:
Hamhuis
Ehrhoff
Higgins
Lapierre
Booth?

Bad Moves:
Ballard
Sturm
?(Am I forgetting some)

Now, where does Kassian fit in? Best case scenario: he quickly blossoms in this veteran group and becomes our Lucic or Bertuzzi of old. Worst case scenario: he wilts under the unnecessary pressure immediately applied and fades into a Taylor Pyatt.

Old
Lard_Lad

So who's sitting for Gragnani? Rome? Not bloodly likely. Did we just take Tanev out of the lineup, too?

Old
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
True, but Ehrhoff wasn't a + PPG player in the playoffs at any stage in his career either. Gragnani was last year. There's definitely some potential - and big-game potential at that - in Gragnani.
Gragnani-Tanev?

Old
Aquiace
The Goggles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBCsalmonslayer View Post
do you guys think Kassian play right away against Phoenix tomorrow?
Unlikely. He'll probably just transfer AHL clubs.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:41 PM
just22
meat and taters

get parise at the draft / ufa and maybe I'll feel a bit better about this trade

Old
02-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiace View Post
Unlikely. He'll probably just transfer AHL clubs.
I read from some Sabres fan that due to a strange rule in his contract, he needs to be played in the big club 14 times this season or he becomes a UFA in the summer? I don't know if that's bs or not, but if it's true, maybe we'll be seeing him every night...

Old
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
Lost so much respect for my team. So much respect...
Get over yourself. Judging this trade before a single game is played by any player involved is hasty. It's a shock to lose Hodgson, but I'm going to hold off losing my mind for at least a little while.

Old
Spamhuis

Kassian is being severely underrated here as well. This guy was a 13th overall pick in the 2009 draft which is turning out to be a pretty decent draft year thus far.

Old
biturbo19

The fact i flat out don't like the deal aside, the timing just doesn't make any sense to me. We're making a run this year, so we move a 20g rookie who contributes clutch goals in limited minutes, absolutely anchors the 2nd PP unit, and offers an insurance policy if one of our top-2 centers gets banged up...for a guy who maybe fits on our 4th line this year?

If Gillis was going to swing this goofy deal, at least do it at the draft or some time in the summer. I just don't get it.

Old
Aquiace
The Goggles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik2Daniel View Post
My gut feeling is that this trade is going to haunt us for a long time....
You only say that because it happens all the time.

Old
Spamhuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
I read from some Sabres fan that due to a strange rule in his contract, he needs to be played in the big club 14 times this season or he becomes a UFA in the summer? I don't know if that's bs or not, but if it's true, maybe we'll be seeing him every night...
BS, he's not old enough for that rule to apply.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
On Gragnani:

pitseleh and I have been discussing this briefly on the previous thread.

Canucks fans, step away from the ledge and look closely at this trade.

MAG has a +10 on a team of all minuses (except for Gerbe). Literally all minuses. pitseleh looked at the Corsi numbers and it's clear that while some of it is by chance, this disparity cannot be all attributed to chance.

A young, left-handed puck mover who can play on the right side and put up points is an extreme rarity in the NHL, as well as one who can play a good puck possession game.

The best part? He's only 25 this year, and has an extremely proven track record in the Q and the AHL.

We can discuss Kassian all we want, but make no mistake - Gillis knew what he was going for when he went into this trade.
I know full well we got some high end pieces back, but I'm insanely disappointed they cost us Hodgson, who was deemed expendable.

Old
pdefenestrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
On Gragnani:

pitseleh and I have been discussing this briefly on the previous thread.

Canucks fans, step away from the ledge and look closely at this trade.

MAG has a +10 on a team of all minuses (except for Gerbe). Literally all minuses. pitseleh looked at the Corsi numbers and it's clear that while some of it is by chance, this disparity cannot be all attributed to chance.

A young, left-handed puck mover who can play on the right side and put up points is an extreme rarity in the NHL, as well as one who can play a good puck possession game.

The best part? He's only 25 this year, and has an extremely proven track record in the Q and the AHL.

We can discuss Kassian all we want, but make no mistake - Gillis knew what he was going for when he went into this trade.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one thinking that MAG is being overlooked as an important part of this deal. He's actually the guy that, in the short run at least, I'm most interested in seeing how he plays.

Old
metric

Quote:
No such rule. That's only for a lot older players (Group 6 UFAs).

Old
Lard_Lad

Quote:
That's Gragnani, not Kassian.

Old
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Gillis seems to like to gamble on players that are unknown entities, or are in a bad situation.

Good Moves:
Hamhuis
Ehrhoff
Higgins
Lapierre
Booth?

Bad Moves:
Ballard
Sturm
?(Am I forgetting some)

Now, where does Kassian fit in? Best case scenario: he quickly blossoms in this veteran group and becomes our Lucic or Bertuzzi of old. Worst case scenario: he wilts under the unnecessary pressure immediately applied and fades into a Taylor Pyatt.
The last ''power forward'' he brought in from Buffalo was pretty freaking awful.

Old
Alan Jackson

Don't like this at all at first blush. Kassian has 3 goals in 27 games for the Sabres this season.

The Canucks now have a 3rd line that can't score - this could be the sort of trade that makes us worse now, and worse in the future.

AV's paws are all over this. It's pretty obvious he never warmed up to Hodgson for whatever reason.

I'm willing to give Kassian a shot, but right now I'm really discouraged.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:44 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Gragnani-Tanev?
huge upgrade going into the playoff run o

I wonder what Gillis will spend on that extra 4 million or so in our cap space...

Old
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
The fact i flat out don't like the deal aside, the timing just doesn't make any sense to me. We're making a run this year, so we move a 20g rookie who contributes clutch goals in limited minutes, absolutely anchors the 2nd PP unit, and offers an insurance policy if one of our top-2 centers gets banged up...for a guy who maybe fits on our 4th line this year?

If Gillis was going to swing this goofy deal, at least do it at the draft or some time in the summer. I just don't get it.
Like I said on the main bored, I'm skeptical but will reserve judgement on this trade, but can anyone tell me why this is a deadline deal and not a draft day deal?

Old
CRDragon
\_(シ)_/

In Gillis We Trust.

Old
Spamhuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post

The timing makes perfect sense when you realize that Hodgson is terrible at puck possession stats.

I was thinking this leading into the deadline, especially watching him play the passt few weeks and I'm a hodgson fan, that they couldn't trust him to center the third line on a deep run.

You can shelter a winger far more easily, and Hodgson couldn't convert to the wing, so Gillis converted Hodgson into a winger (and sold high if you read Charron's article).

Hodgson will be a good one but he's a few years from being good enough to help the Canucks win the cup this year.

Closed Thread