HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Paul Gaustad and '13 4th Rounder to Nashville for the Preds 1st Rounder

Old
02-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
We'll miss his face off ability and 1st line PK.

Who takes that role on now?
It's probably unlikely that the Preds will give Gaustad a 5-year extension - if that's in fact what he was seeking from Buffalo. He'll probably go to free agency and have to settle for a marginal raise, if any, and shorter term - and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sabres sign him.

Of course, I have to attach the proverbial disclaimer: "IF Regier is still in charge".

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:52 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
I am happy with this deal. I originally had Goose tagged for San Jose but I see where he fits in with Nashville. (Think the Preds are an overlooked and thus dangerous team.)

I'll take the number one and giving up the 4th rounder is fair.

Sure as heck better than signing Goose for what his agent was asking.

We'll miss his face off ability and 1st line PK.

Who takes that role on now?
Faceoffs...Roy has improved this year. He'd probably be the guy.

As for PK, Roy, Pominville, Kaleta, (Hecht if he ever returns), Stafford, Ellis, and Gerbe likely takes the majority of minutes. I'd expect those first three to see the most amount of time, with Roy/Pominville being the 3v5/3v4 guys.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:53 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Regier said another team offered a 1st in a deal for Gaustad yesterday but that they were on again, off again and pulled out of the Gaustad bidding in the end.

I guess that's why Regier wanted a 1st for Goose mid-day today!

Regier also said that there was more action today on Goose than Roy because of the UFA-to-be status.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Evgeni Giroux

where you listening to regiers interview?

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Vito_81

Goose was a good Sabre. But resigning him at 3 million per wouldn't have been wise IMO. Getting a 1st rounder for him is fantastic.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Giroux View Post
where you listening to regiers interview?
02/27: Darcy Regier press conference. <11:39>

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:13 PM
BritSabre
Patrick's Eye Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
If this should be a seperate thread, Mods can move it:

Thank you Paul Gaustad.

Sure, there have been some rough times. And discussion about your cap hit. But Goose has been part of some remarkable Sabres teams. And some remarkable moments. The brawl in Ottawa. Winning faceoffs left and right. A heart and soul guy, did whatever was asked of him, and gave a damn pretty much every time he stepped onto the ice.

Wish nothing but good luck for the Goose, and when we're out and about we'll still give a honk for you (unless you're playing us). Just stay out West come July 1, k?
Well said. Favourite player through thick and thin and wears my 28. Gona miss him, but no hard feelings. Great return, but only if we make it count.

BritSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:40 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Regier said another team offered a 1st in a deal for Gaustad yesterday but that they were on again, off again and pulled out of the Gaustad bidding in the end.

Regier also said that there was more action today on Goose than Roy because of the UFA-to-be status.
Would be interesting to know who that team was........ but figure we'll never know.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:43 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Faceoffs...Roy has improved this year. He'd probably be the guy.

As for PK, Roy, Pominville, Kaleta, (Hecht if he ever returns), Stafford, Ellis, and Gerbe likely takes the majority of minutes. I'd expect those first three to see the most amount of time, with Roy/Pominville being the 3v5/3v4 guys.
Yeah, I was thinking Hecht too........ and was wondering whether this was a sign he might be getting better and an option. But I hadn't heard that he was even skating. (He ought to retire IMO).

Old
02-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Darn, too bad that likely won't be a high pick! Oh well. I liked Goose as a player and a person, but he had been getting less and less effective it seemed

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

Quote:
Would be interesting to know who that team was........ but figure we'll never know.
I would be willing to bet it was Vancouver - they were one of 3 suitors reported this morning on TSN and elsewhere (along with Philly and Detroit). It's probable that, as Gillis and Regier talked out a possible Gaustad deal, they established some seeds for the eventual Kassian-Hodgson deal.

Maguire pointed to the Nashville-Montreal swap today very likely having some genesis last week when the two teams worked out the Hal Gill trade. There was no leaks of Gill going to Nashville so Gauthier probably felt comfortable with Poile when working the Kostitsyn deal today. The same may have happened between Regier and Gillis - especially, if as TSN later reported, many other GMs didn't know Hodgson could be had.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
The Sabres included a fourth-round pick as a sweetener in the deal to help convince the Predators to meet their asking price of a first-round pick. While Gaustad is a decent player who may fill a useful role for the Predators in the playoffs, the Sabres have to be thrilled to get a first-round pick in return. Even a pick in the 20s has a chance to make a bigger impact than a checking centre.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=388964

You can't help but chuckle at the self-vindication Regier will feel by sticking to his guns. As soon as the 1st rounder price was revealed this morning, most of the media (i.e. LeBrun, Maguire) along with many of us thought he was crazy for asking that much and overvaluing Gaustad. In the end, he got it - and I'm sure he'll be eager to gloat to the local media how his patience to the very end paid off.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:49 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
Darn, too bad that likely won't be a high pick! Oh well. I liked Goose as a player and a person, but he had been getting less and less effective it seemed
Not worried. A low #1 is like a high #2. It's icing on the cake and while the player doesn't usually make the squad right out of the draft, he turns out to be a keeper.

I've been told this is a deeper draft than last year's (Haven't looked close enough to confirm that.)

Old
02-27-2012, 05:09 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Yeah!!!!!!

Happy to see him go. Sick of Ruff counting on a 4th liner like he does. He should have been traded the night Miller was run over.

Bye-bye, and thank you for getting us another 1st. Boy does that 1st set us up nice for draft day dealing.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Sabretip

With Gaustad gone, I'll be curious who assumes the top PK duties with Kaleta if Roy-Pominville remain the 2nd pairing? Ennis and Leino haven't killed any penalties this year and Vanek/Stafford are marginal in that capacity.

Has Hodgson killed any penalties in Vancouver this season?

Old
02-27-2012, 05:37 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
With Gaustad gone, I'll be curious who assumes the top PK duties with Kaleta if Roy-Pominville remain the 2nd pairing? Ennis and Leino haven't killed any penalties this year and Vanek/Stafford are marginal in that capacity.

Yes. Two seconds worth all season.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:17 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:

I've seen Stafford out there before on the PK, so maybe that's who Ruff tries out there. I think Ellis is also halfway decent on the PK as well.

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 06:39 PM
murdoq

Quote:

i'd like ruff to give vanek a chance. maybe that would boost vaneks confidence and their relationship. nothing to lose but a confident vanek to win.

murdoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:02 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Great move, whether Goose resigns with Buffalo or not next year. Best of luck to him and the Preds.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
I'm betting it'll be Ellis.

Either that or the call-up to replace Goose would be Stuart, who's a pretty good PKer.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:09 PM
joshjull

My question is do they even bother with the checking line experiment any more with Goose gone?

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:18 PM
LGB24

The way its looking right now the preds have a good chance of facing either detroit or st louis in the first round. The 2 best teams on home ice this year. This 1st round pick could end up being around 22nd or so.

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I've seen Stafford out there before on the PK, so maybe that's who Ruff tries out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoq View Post
i'd like ruff to give vanek a chance. maybe that would boost vaneks confidence and their relationship. nothing to lose but a confident vanek to win.
The trouble is that Kaleta can't take face-offs so his PK partner has to be capable. Neither Vanek nor Stafford are face-off capable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
I'm betting it'll be Ellis.
Most likely....but I could see Ruff putting Pominville with Kaleta, and Roy with one of Ellis, Vanek or Stafford. That way he has a solid face-off guy in each forward pairing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
My question is do they even bother with the checking line experiment any more with Goose gone?
I think so. Maybe, if Hecht returns any time soon, he could be teamed with Kaleta on a similar line but beyond that, who else would qualify? Ellis has an admirable work ethic but he's no defensive ace or strong on containing other team's top scorers.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:23 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
So this move is great for Buffalo in terms of long-term futures, but it does make a small, soft team even smaller and softer for the rest of this season. It's not like McCormick was even playing well when his concussion issues weren't keeping him out of the lineup. So that leaves... Kaleta? as the only physical player in the forward ranks who will drop the mitts and it's him and the mini's (Gerbe/Ennis) who might bodycheck someone.

Butter soft indeed.
Lose, get high pick, address toughness in the offseason. Who knows, maybe we could pry Dustin Brown out of LA then.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:29 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I don't think they have the personnel to do that. Roy isn't going to play a shutdown role, and they don't have any other real solid defensive center.

Quite frankly, I think they should run with three scoring lines (Roy, Hodgson, Ennis centering). One, because it makes sense: they have enough offensively talented wingers for it (Vanek, Pominville, Leino, Stafford, Gerbe, Boyes). Two, because I don't think they should stop the Ennis center experiment yet, and obviously Roy and Hodgson will play center.

If Hecht comes back, then the entire dynamic of the team changes and we can revisit this topic. But I'm not holding my breath, sadly.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote