HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11'/12' Offseason Signings and Moves: Parise? I think so. Nash? Ya him too.

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2012, 07:49 AM
samwitch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Will also help us ease in Kadri to possible see if he is truly top line center material, I have high hopes for him, as I believe colborne is the second liner.
It would be nice if Kadri could take Grabovski's role if he's asking for too much and then Stastny as #1.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:56 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
It would be nice if Kadri could take Grabovski's role if he's asking for too much and then Stastny as #1.
I think grabovski will re-sign with us, I dont think he will cause us too much of trouble, he likes it here and him not being dealt shows to Grabovski and his agent, that we value him more so probably a lot of other thought, so sooner or later he will be locked up IMO. It's probably around 500K+/- should be the difference and the terms that is causing the trouble.

I won't go that far, he's still working out the kinks to be a complete player, for him to take over Grabovski's role would be a lot of pressure, Grabo brings a lot of intangibles so let us be patient.

Stastny would ofc have to see if he can play and gel with the dynamic duo of lupul and kessel, I personally think its possible but who knows maybe there will be a surprise in the end of the season or pre-season.

We still need to get some solid group of veterans, too much injuries has sort of made them lose the group it seems, so I hope we get some good ones in this group for a good leadership to spearhead this team.

02-28-2012, 08:53 AM
shaner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamshot View Post
Nevermind what happens if we miss the playoffs, but I predict a roster cleaning of sorts this summer regardless.

Lombardi, Crabb, Armstrong, Komisarek, MacArthur, Connolly, IMO, are all likely targets to be moved over the summer, and by the deadline next year.

I think its a bad idea to move all of them at one time, given the lack of experience on our roster, but one would have to think with the quality of forwards banging on the door, we definitely could see some massive changes sooner than later.

Mueller, Colborne, Kadri, Frattin, and Ashton, should all be ready within a year or two, and I for one hope they are given a fair shake before any of them get traded. Obviously, I think its unlikely all of them end up as Toronto Maple Leafs.
This. Im so ****ing disguted with the dead weight on this team.

I cant handle another season of watching Lombardi, Army, Crabb, Komi, etc.

Bring the kids in, move whoever needs to be moved.

There is obviously value in Mac Kuls etc having been offered 1st rders for them.

Old
02-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

All in good time shaner. Things are going to turn around soon.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Budsfan

First re-sign Grabovski, then check out the free agents, here's a list of Free Agents.

http://www.sportscity.com/blog/sport...ed-by-position

Old
02-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Leafsman

Let Gus walk or trade his rights pre-july 1st for a 7th or anything!! Let Crabb walk

Sign best goalie possible!! Let Reimer back-up and get mentored for 2-3 more years!

Trim some fat!! Komi/Connolly/Army - Whoever!!

Sign the toughest grinders you can get!!

Old
02-28-2012, 11:37 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
This. Im so ****ing disguted with the dead weight on this team.

I cant handle another season of watching Lombardi, Army, Crabb, Komi, etc.

Bring the kids in, move whoever needs to be moved.

There is obviously value in Mac Kuls etc having been offered 1st rders for them.
I stand by what I said, and I didnt say it simply because I am all about playing the kids.

I just think it will be time soon to make room for these guys, and potentially move some of them for more established players too.

There is significant under performance on the main team, and hopefully a couple of them move this summer, and a couple more at deadline potentially.

Bad idea to bring in that many kids at once, but I and im sure many other rational posters see that we have a small handful of prospects ALMOST ready to make their impacts on the leafs.

ALSO, I think a big reason we didnt sell at this deadline is that bringing kids into Toronto, with the amount of pressure they would have to make the playofffs, and so little vets, its just not a good idea.

EDIT: I also think that physically, besides Matt Frattin, our big prospects need a bit more time to grow. Colborne and Kadri are still not developed physically enough, and ya know what, THATS OK! .

Turris had this problem, and he has really started to turn into a good player for the sens.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:46 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
I think in this instance, Dreger was full of s**t. I don't buy it that first rounders were being offered for all those players.
Might be 1 or 2 teams offering a 1st for one of the 4 players? A team needs a 2nd liner, leafs have 3 established 2nd liners, GM goes to Burke "well give you a 1st for one of your 2nd liners".

Quote:
Dregger???? said its term, not $$$$. Burke wants 5 years Grabo wants more.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:07 PM
samwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post

I wouldn't give him more. I wouldn't give him over $5,000,000 either.. I'd go 5 years @ 22,500,000. Probably no more than that. He's got great heart and is a solid #2 that'll produce around 25-30 goals a year. I like him on the penalty kill too just cause he's relentless. Still no more then 5 mil a season.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:13 PM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Might be 1 or 2 teams offering a 1st for one of the 4 players? A team needs a 2nd liner, leafs have 3 established 2nd liners, GM goes to Burke "well give you a 1st for one of your 2nd liners".

7 years for 30 million?
thats kind of nuts

Old
02-28-2012, 12:22 PM
samwitch

These lines would be sick in the future:

Lupul - ?????? - Kessel
Kadri - Grabovski - ?????
Kulemin - Colborne/Bozak - Frattin/Ashton
Ross - ?????? - Brown

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Suter - Gardiner
Liles - Schenn

The #1 centre is so important IMO. Stastny would be a solid target. If E. Staal is made available for a rebuild then he would be a target, but like Rick Nash his price would be too high most likely. Stastny could be had for cheaper especially with Duchene pushing for the #1 spot. You can't have Stastny as a #2 gettting paid $6.6 mil.

I think Kadri and Grabovski would be a good combo with a bigger PWF winger on the right side. Maybe Biggs could fill the top 6 role. He would look pretty good there. Or look at a guy like Dustin Brown again in the summer.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:36 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 492
Im not saying we should move any of our goalies but im just curious about their value. Would you say that Scrivens and Owuya are worth 2nd round picks if Bishop got a 2nd? Bishop has good AHL stats, but so do Scrivens and Owuya. Bishop has an .896 sv% in the NHL (13 games) so it's not like his value is coming from his NHL experience. Thoughts?

Old
02-28-2012, 02:03 PM
samwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Im not saying we should move any of our goalies but im just curious about their value. Would you say that Scrivens and Owuya are worth 2nd round picks if Bishop got a 2nd? Bishop has good AHL stats, but so do Scrivens and Owuya. Bishop has an .896 sv% in the NHL (13 games) so it's not like his value is coming from his NHL experience. Thoughts?
Hhmmm true. I remember reading somewhere that Bishop was arguably the best goalie for them all camp, but I guess with Halak and the emergence of Elliot they didn't have room for him in the NHL. I'm not sure what the case is recently but it did seem like a good deal for the Blues. It's not like he's a prospect still, but goalies generally take longer to develop so who knows!

Old
02-28-2012, 02:10 PM

I think this summer will be more about correcting mistakes than about signing big-name players or anything like that.

I think we'll see Burke end Gustavsson's tenure here in Toronto and bring in a capable back-up (Ellis, Harding, etc.) -- a veteran guy.

We'll probably see Burke attempt to trade both Armstrong and Komisarek; while buying-out Lombardi. Those moves alone would improve the team immensely. As well, another fourth-liner will likely brought-in to add some speed and toughness to offset Steckel's slow ass and to replace Boyce's offensive-ineptitude. Crabb will likely be headed back to the AHL too I'd think.

Old
02-28-2012, 02:15 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Going to be an awkward few months for Nash in Columbus:

www.nhl.com (Nash's press conference today, mainly about his trade request).

Old
02-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Darkhorse1280

Wow, just watched Nash's post trade deadline presser and you can tell that he desperately wants to get the **** out of there asap. When reporters asked if he's willing to expand the list of teams come summer, he quickly said that he'll cross that bridge when it comes. In other words: No, I'm not, stop asking me.

You can tell in his face that he's pissed off with having to go through this process and I'm pretty sure that he's not gonna do the Blue Jackets any favours by expanding the list of teams and getting the best possible return for him.

The return could very well just end up a 1st, top prospect, roster player when everything is all said and done.

I just want to add that Howson really is a moron for screwing this up, and is probably the most inept GM in the league today.

Old
02-28-2012, 02:22 PM
samwitch

I think Howson sure did make a mistake of not trading Nash especially after finding out that Nash approached them about a trade...

Obviously that means he wants out. Then you've got his agent on Saturday saying that they expect him to be moved by Monday. That's got to give Howson a hint that this guy does not want to be here anymore and wants out NOW. Man I just hope this means his value really drops and we can get away with offering something like Schenn, Colborne & 1st or something.

Old
02-28-2012, 02:34 PM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

Quote:
These lines would be sick in the future:

Lupul - ?????? - Kessel
Kadri - Grabovski - ?????
Kulemin - Colborne/Bozak - Frattin/Ashton
Ross - ?????? - Brown

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Suter - Gardiner
Liles - Schenn

The #1 centre is so important IMO. Stastny would be a solid target. If E. Staal is made available for a rebuild then he would be a target, but like Rick Nash his price would be too high most likely. Stastny could be had for cheaper especially with Duchene pushing for the #1 spot. You can't have Stastny as a #2 gettting paid $6.6 mil.

I think Kadri and Grabovski would be a good combo with a bigger PWF winger on the right side. Maybe Biggs could fill the top 6 role. He would look pretty good there. Or look at a guy like Dustin Brown again in the summer.
Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
Parise - Grabovski - Kulemin
Frattin - Colborne - Ashton
Brown - Steckel - Ross

Phaneuf - Gardiner
Schenn - Blacker
Franson - Gunnarsson

With Biggs, Olden, McKegg and Holzer still watching lol

Old
02-28-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I think Howson sure did make a mistake of not trading Nash especially after finding out that Nash approached them about a trade...

Obviously that means he wants out. Then you've got his agent on Saturday saying that they expect him to be moved by Monday. That's got to give Howson a hint that this guy does not want to be here anymore and wants out NOW. Man I just hope this means his value really drops and we can get away with offering something like Schenn, Colborne & 1st or something.
I think it's going to make Columbus an even less attractive destination for players knowing that Howson basically just does what he wants with little regard for the players' concerns.

When you have someone who is politely asking you for a trade -- especially after giving 9-years of service to an absolute disaster of a club -- and you're unwilling to accommodate him, it elicits bad connotations.

Old
02-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
I would love to say to go after the big names like Suter and Parise but if they hit the market they are looking at huge raises. Toronto Should add some grit to the bottom lines.

Out- Crab, Armstrong, MacArthur and if you can Lambardi, Komisarek. Conolly to minors.

In - Brandon Prust, Travis Moen, Olli Jokinen for 1- 2 years. Vokoun or Nabokov would also be a must for at least a seasons or two.
new contract Grabovski @ 4.5 - 4.8.

New lines :

Lupal - Jokinen - Kessel
Kadri/Conolly - Grabo - Kuli
Moen/Kadri - Bozak - Frattin
Prust/Moen - Steckel - Brown

maybe Conolly in Kadri's place on the 2nd line, Kadri moves down the to the 3rd and Moen Drops down to the 4th And we don't sign Prust. I know it's not the sexiest lineup but we get a big center who can still put up respectable points. We add some grit in Moen and or Prust and we get goaltending in Vokoun or Navokov. No long term contracts and Waite to see if any of the big gems fall to free agency next season.

Old
02-28-2012, 03:44 PM
LeaffanDM

here my list of targets:

Parise
Gaustad
suter
harding

although would have to make some deals first and get rid of some of the high contracts like komi and conolly etc. and i would like burke to kick tires on nash again at the draft and other potential trade targets for the #1 center spot. this team needs a make over up front from the 2nd line down excluding grabo and mac. I would like to keep mac because despite the lines slowed production this year he and grabo are still putting up their numbers.

Old
02-28-2012, 03:51 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
I don't have big expectations for UFA. Burke hasn't had good luck in that. Better to do nothing then get stuck with yet another bad signing.

Plus can't think that guys like Suter or Parise would look at things in Toronto and say "yeah, now there's a place I want to be..."

Old
02-28-2012, 03:54 PM
hackm

Goaltending is the only realistic thing that can be shored up via free agency. Every July 1st, there are several serviceable veterans that are available for less than $2M. This time, we need to dump Gus and pick one of them up.

As for other positions, we don't need to overpay any more than we have. Komisarek, Armstrong, Connolly. 3/4 of LACK. UFA doesn't work.

Old
02-28-2012, 04:01 PM
dougieg93
flip for filip

First choice would be to trade for Statsny at the draft. I think there is a good opportunity and reason for both teams to participate on this transaction.

Old
02-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
parise is a pipe dream. as is suter. jokinen will resign in calgary ..

and no owuya + scrivens could not bring in second round picks..

bishop was drafted as a project and slowly but surely got his act together. He should have gotten his chance this year if it wasent for halak/elliot.. he has lots of potential and its a good deal for Ott compared to the price theyd have to pay for a schnieder or bernier

Closed Thread