3: Neutral/undecided 8 8.70%
2: Somewhat negative 3 3.26%
1: Lining up on the firing squad 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Al Lagoon

vCash: 106
Don't forget the Brodziak extension as part of your evaluation; he was the keeper, and the Wild got reasonable term and money to keep him around.

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
Don't forget the Brodziak extension as part of your evaluation; he was the keeper, and the Wild got reasonable term and money to keep him around.
This is a good point.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Engebretson
I WANT HOLYFIELD!!!!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Well what the hell else are we gonna do if we re-sign Harding? Make Hackett spend another year in the AHL? What the hell good is that gonna do the kid? It's time to bring him up as the backup and let Kuemper or someone take over the starting job down there so they can develop into Hackett's eventual backup.
On Friday afternoon on KFAN, Russo was asked about the possibility of trading Backstrom before his contract went up and you could pretty much hear him roll his eyes over the radio. He said there is basically no chance the Wild will move Backstrom before the end of his contract.

Who knows, stranger things have happened, but I wouldn't count on Backstrom leaving before next season based on those comments and a few others Russo has made.

Also, I'm pretty sure Russo didn't see the Schultz trade coming either, so I have no idea.

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:49 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
I will say this; Minnesota's defense at the beginning of the year was labeled as one of the worst in the NHL. We have brought in unknown rookies, a player that has now been traded twice and is worse defensively then one of the guys we traded, and brought in another guy from another team that was labeled defensively terrible.

Hopefully Fletcher has an idea of what the hell he's doing with the defense because we knew it was going to be bad without Burns. But now we lost leadership, strength and...experience.

I didn't know you could make a crater into a well but he did it.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:51 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post

Can someone please explain why there's more negative than positive in the Schultz deal?
Because we got rid of one guy that played terrible defensive hockey in Zidlicky and then turned around and got his clone.

Old
02-27-2012, 04:55 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Because we got rid of one guy that played terrible defensive hockey in Zidlicky and then turned around and got his clone.
You mean we traded a cancer in Zidlicky for a solid young prospect, two vets, one, possibly even two picks, THEN we traded a defensive defenseman who wasn't playing all that great of defense, for a player who can QB a PP (successfully addressing a team need), and who actually might want to play here?

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:57 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Adding a player with Zidlicky-like talents who isn't screaming to the media about how much he doesn't want to be here and preemptively waiving a no-trade clause. I really don't see why that's a bad thing.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:58 PM
saywut

Neutral for me.

Zidlicky had to go. The return was OK. 2nd round pick was good. The rest is all "meh". None of the 3 players really belong in this league, 2 shouldn't be back next year while the 3rd(Palmieri) doesn't strike me as someone who's going to beat out our other prospects for a roster spot next year, whether its a top-6 or bottom-6 spot.

Schultz, can't say I liked him. Gilbert? Extremely underwhelmed. They're both bottom-4 d-men who have major flaws in their game. Larger cap hit, though it shouldn't be a concern compared to Schultz, I'd like to have seen us gain more cap space unless we're getting a guy who can lead a top-2 pairing. Sure, Gilbert gives us a little more offensive production, but his decision making is terrible, and he's Foster in terms of using his size. I do like that he's a right-hand shot, generally it's harder to find a righty than a lefty and we've got 3 signed for next season(Spurgeon/Prosser).

Zanon, he got dealt. Though Kampfer's not the "ideal" return, he's a return. He's competition for next year. He's an upgrade on a guy like Jeff Penner for the Aeros. We don't know what else was out there for Zanon.

Not surprised Harding wasn't dealt, and though Fletcher's comments don't surprise me about re-signing him, its hard for me to believe a scenario where he's re-signed. Matt Hackett's NHL ready and I want to see what he's got before Backstrom's contract expires.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:58 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
You mean we traded a cancer in Zidlicky for a solid young prospect, two vets, one, possibly even two picks, THEN we traded a defensive defenseman who wasn't playing all that great of defense, for a player who can QB a PP (successfully addressing a team need), and who actually might want to play here?
Basically we traded one guy that can't play defensive hockey for another player that can't play defensive hockey. Cancer or not, I really don't see any upgrades on the ice from seasons past.

BTW with Gilbert and Kempfer now here does that mean Brodin will be indefinitely in the AHL?

Old
02-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Basically we traded one guy that can't play defensive hockey for another player that can't play defensive hockey. Cancer or not, I really don't see any upgrades on the ice from seasons past.

BTW with Gilbert and Kempfer now here does that mean Brodin will be indefinitely in the AHL?
No. Kampfer will be and Gilbert just takes Schultz's spot.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:02 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
So we traded an NHLer for an AHLer? Makes sense.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:03 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Yup. We're only carrying 6 D at the moment anyway.

@8bandarmadillo:

Yes, we traded NHL for AHL. But it was also trading UFA for RFA. So 20 games of NHL for ~3-5 years of AHLer with NHL potential. It's really not particularly different from trading for a pick, except his development's further along.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Quote:
No, we traded an impending UFA for a 23 year old PMD who has a chance to compete for a spot in the lineup next season...and he's a guy who has actual potential as opposed to Zanon who has already shown the limits of what he's capable of in the NHL.

Dee Oh Cee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Meh, AHLer vs. 4th or 5th rounder. Not a difference I'm going to get hung up on.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:07 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
No, basically we traded two guys that can't play defense or provide offense for:

1) A guy who can't play defense, but can provide offense
2) A 23 year old defenseman who has potential to be a 2nd pairing PMD
3) Two players with NHL experience to put on our bottom lines
4) A solid forward prospect who's strong on the puck, fast, and can provide offense
5) A 2nd round draft pick
6) A conditional third round draft pick.

You need to stop looking at the trade like it was Zidlicky for Gilbert.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:10 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Overall tho: very good. Very very gutsy move trading away Schultz.[/QUOTE]

i think that gilbert is better than schultz regardless of stats. seems like he can move the puck better and put up a little offense and a good shot. schultz didnt do anything offensively

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:10 PM
THEALLKNOWING*

I certainly hope Fletch wasn't asking too much for Harding. Considering how well he did with the other trades, I would have been happy with a bag of mini-donuts for Harding. I am sick of his year-in, year-out of either getting hurt, or playing horribly at the trade deadline. Of course the exception being last year. Backstrom is untradeable, so have Hackett back him up next year. Harding will just be in the way.

THEALLKNOWING* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEALLKNOWING View Post
I certainly hope Fletch wasn't asking too much for Harding. Considering how well he did with the other trades, I would have been happy with a bag of mini-donuts for Harding. I am sick of his year-in, year-out of either getting hurt, or playing horribly at the trade deadline. Of course the exception being last year. Backstrom is untradeable, so have Hackett back him up next year. Harding will just be in the way.
He was asking 2nd + Warm Body and Ottawa offered a 2nd.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:13 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I think I need to see how Gilbert plays before I can say whether I think the Schultz deal was okay or not.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:19 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Meh, AHLer vs. 4th or 5th rounder. Not a difference I'm going to get hung up on.
I don't know. I like Kuemper. But if he's not a big deal, we should see what we can get for him.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:23 PM
THEALLKNOWING*

Gilbert has an edge to him, and at least plays pretty well at Xcel. So that covers half the season. Ha-ha. Schultz peaked-out a few years back. He used to just baby-sit Burns when they were paired together, because Brent was so horrible on the back-end. I couldn't wait for the Wild to get rid of Burns, and last night re-enforced that view. This year it looks as if all that Schultz provides is a locker-room presence. In today's NHL, the only way a dman can be small is if he can move the puck, like Spurgeon. Otherwise, a bigger body is needed to be solid on the back-end. Schultz didn't fit either criteria.

THEALLKNOWING* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
I don't know. I like Kuemper. But if he's not a big deal, we should see what we can get for him.
You're right, and because Haula was 7th rounder, we should never trade a 7th round pick again, because we are probably going to pick somebody like him every year.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:28 PM
OpRedDawn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
He was asking 2nd + Warm Body and Ottawa offered a 2nd.
I woulda been happy with a 2nd hah. Judgement on the Harding thing just kinda depends on if he we sign him again.

If we sign some big names in the off season, it might be good for a playoff run to have the Backs/Hards tandem out there again.

I want Hackett up here as much as the next guy, but with a little help the combo we have now is as good as any.

OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

I am happy. Wish Fletcher would've traded Harding. But that's not a big deal. Happy that Brodziak is re-upped and the Z's got us some warm bodies (and a pick to boot).

Generic User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 05:31 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
You're right, and because Haula was 7th rounder, we should never trade a 7th round pick again, because we are probably going to pick somebody like him every year.
I trust Fletcher's drafting more than I trust his trades.