Old
02-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Going to agree with the majority that I'm positive on the moves but have some reservations on a couple fronts. Wrote out my thoughts and analysis on FRB so if anyone wants to read those here's Schultz/Gilbert and Zanon/Kampfer. If most people don't, then that's okay too and y'all got saved a TL;DR response.

One thought that I don't know if anyone has brought up: It's not a good sign that all three of the veteran defenseman (four if you include Lundin) could not adapt to Yeo's system.

No, he's "one of us." That gives him some leeway.
Good little articles, Gopher. I too find it a little disturbing that none of the Vets have fit in to Yeo's system.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:07 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Kept Schultz and moved him in the offseason if need be. Take the second for harding. Dump zanon for a pick. Possible dangle cullen or cluts. Pick up clitsome
Teams were overpaying for D-men at this deadline; look at the return Hal Gill got. He was going to get more for Schultz now, when teams were scrambling, than in the offseason when there would be considerably more on the trade market.

There were no buyers for Harding. I don't know why you think he could have gotten a 2nd.

They got a prospect for Zanon. Much of our drafting is going to be toward PMD in the near future, and Kampfer is farther along in his development than a pick would be. Also probably higher value than the low-round pick Zanon would have gotten.

Cullen could not be traded. He has and is unlikely to waive a no-trade clause. Maybe you disagree, but I personally think Clutterbuck is more valuable, especially considering his RFA status and disproportionately small cap hit, than what any other team would have given us. Fletch would also be giving up the most (only?) popular player on the team, as far as fans are concerned.

I'm not sure exactly why he didn't bite on Clitsome, but I'm sure he had his reasons. Always be suspicious of a player who can't stay on the roster of the 30th place team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Good little articles, Gopher. I too find it a little disturbing that none of the Vets have fit in to Yeo's system.
I really don't know what the deal is with Lundin, but as far as the other three are concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of an "Old Boys' Club" in the locker room and they thought they were above listening to this young guy coming in, since they had been here longer. If that's the case, then it's not really an issue to worry about moving forward, since they've pretty well cleaned house.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:07 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Either cf had schultz on the market for a while and we didn't know or he panicked. When quincy gets you a guy like downie we got terrible value for schultz a guy that shouldn have been traded like he was some waiver trash.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:09 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Kemp might be further along but he's a damaged prospect

Old
02-27-2012, 08:31 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Kept Schultz and moved him in the offseason if need be. Take the second for harding. Dump zanon for a pick. Possible dangle cullen or cluts. Pick up clitsome
we were offered a second for harding? You see someone's backup goalie go for a 2nd and you just assume ours could have went for that too?

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:32 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Bishop went for a 2nd in 2013. So yeah, Harding wasn't fetching a 2nd in 2012.

BuddyMcCormick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:35 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
we were offered a second for harding? You see someone's backup goalie go for a 2nd and you just assume ours could have went for that too?
It doesn't help that Bishop was traded and then signed a year extension for that second. Doubt Harding would have done that - if anything, who was the last UFA goalie to be traded at the deadline?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:38 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Don't say hindsight. I was critical on all those trades. Yes a guy like freddie mitchell is worse than staubitz. And kobasew has done so much for this organization. Fletcher should stick to what he does best and that's drafting

Old
02-27-2012, 08:42 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Don't say hindsight. I was critical on all those trades. Yes a guy like freddie mitchell is worse than staubitz. And kobasew has done so much for this organization. Fletcher should stick to what he does best and that's drafting
It's easy to say you were critical of bad trades at the time when your immediate reaction to every single move is to criticize it.

"A broken clock is right twice a day."

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:43 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Yes, because Brodziak, Powe, and Johnson have been terrible since their acquisitions. In fact, I believe many of us and even analysist have said they were the only line with any form of consistency.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 09:06 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 772
Quote:
Either cf had schultz on the market for a while and we didn't know or he panicked. When quincy gets you a guy like downie we got terrible value for schultz a guy that shouldn have been traded like he was some waiver trash.
Word is he was.........Russo not only mentioned last night that Fletch has been getting calls about him, but there was also rumor of it a month or so ago. Fletch didn't just wake up today and throw a dart at the team photo to find a guy to move.

NHL1674 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Mikael Granlund
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Veilleux's comments about coming back to Minnesota really sold me on the trade. It's apparent he wants to play here, unlike Zidlicky, so I am happy in that aspect. If it pans out, cool -- if not, then no harm done in my opinion. Zidlicky is gone and that's what matters to me.

The other two trades I feel neutral about. I didn't mind Schultz but I kind of wanted to see Zanon go.

Last edited by Mikael Granlund: 02-27-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Mikael Granlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:36 PM
forthewild

i am quite satisfied with how GMCF handled this deadline. i was thinking today tho, Veilleux seems like a mike yeo kind of guy, hard working never quit dude and i think he will do well here in terms of performing his role so i am excited to see him and how he takes this opportunity.

as far as schlutz for gilbert, to me i think its a move we needed to make, gilbert can move the puck and can play the pp, plus he has a good attitude unlike a certain someone.

i like what gmcf did, prices were high and he made some moves, shook things up and didn't give up any huge assets

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:39 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Well I'd say it was good, we got a few draft picks, but the best part was revamping the D in one day. It went from defensive to PMD. Zanon gone, Schultz gone. Can't wait to see the new look D next game.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
I really don't know what the deal is with Lundin, but as far as the other three are concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of an "Old Boys' Club" in the locker room and they thought they were above listening to this young guy coming in, since they had been here longer. If that's the case, then it's not really an issue to worry about moving forward, since they've pretty well cleaned house.
I hope Russo gets an exclusive interview with Lundin after his contract expires so we can finally find out why he spent the season in Yeo's doghouse.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 11:03 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Yes, because Brodziak, Powe, and Johnson have been terrible since their acquisitions. In fact, I believe many of us and even analysist have said they were the only line with any form of consistency.
Brodie was a good trade, I'll admit that. I was high on the Zidlicky and Burns trade as they needed to be done. Wasn't critical of the Powe trade either. Johnson was a waiver wire pick up, so there was no harm in that.

Good job, two trades I was satisfied with and a waiver wire acquisition that I didn't give two rips about.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:04 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Word is he was.........Russo not only mentioned last night that Fletch has been getting calls about him, but there was also rumor of it a month or so ago. Fletch didn't just wake up today and throw a dart at the team photo to find a guy to move.
A month isn't a long time really for a guy like Schultz. Even a year isn't a long time.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:57 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I'll give him a four. Loved the Zidlicky trade. The Zanon and Schultz trades were good but maybe could've been slightly better. Kind of disappointed that he didn't trade Harding though.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Zids gone = Win. Getting any usable assets is just gravy. Palmieri should create more competition, as he's young and hungry in a contract year(RFA to boot). He looked good last night as well. We parlayed a 2nd to balance out the Burns trade. Needed depth with Foster and Veilleux. Fozzie should help the powerplay, and miss with the net with howitzers. Veilleux will skate around the ice like a ping pong ball. Warm bodies for the balance of the season, then gone. No harm no foul. We also shed a ton of salary to put us in position to make a splash or two come July.

The Schultz/Gilbert trade has potential to help us now. I've read a lot of Edmonton fans saying we made out like bandits. A lot. Last time Min/EDM traded, they had similar reactions and they were right on the money with that one. Sounds like Gilbert was having a fine season in Oil Country this year. We knew Schultz was going nowhere here. Gilbert plays a little more Yeo style hockey. Could be a good fit. For both teams really.

Zanon for Kampfer? I really have no strong opinion one way or the other. We got somethig for Zanon. Good enough. Sounds like this Kampfer kid now plays scared after his injury. Not good there, but honestly I put him at an equivilant of a 3rd. A chance at being an NHL, but not likely. At least, unlike a draft pick, we'll know to proceed or cut bait with him sooner rather than later.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 12:56 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I hope Russo gets an exclusive interview with Lundin after his contract expires so we can finally find out why he spent the season in Yeo's doghouse.
mike lundin

"well you see before the season started i was eating pancakes and jumped out of sheer excitment thus hurting my back, never could regain form after that, as to why yeo and i didn't get along, well i had to give a reason for the hurt back and i decided to tell the truth. the response i got was so from that point on it was all down hill."

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:00 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 772
Quote:
A month isn't a long time really for a guy like Schultz. Even a year isn't a long time.
Either way, it wasn't a "panic" type of move based on this past week. It's been a possibility for a while.

NHL1674 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:26 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Either way, it wasn't a "panic" type of move based on this past week. It's been a possibility for a while.
Just seems like it. Quincy gets Downie (and a 1st!) and Schultz gets...an overpaid defenseman.

Old
02-28-2012, 03:29 AM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Just seems like it. Quincy gets Downie (and a 1st!) and Schultz gets...an overpaid defenseman.
1) Quincey is better
2) An overpaid, one dimensional defenseman gets an overpaid, one dimensional defenseman. Go figure!

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:00 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
I'm not sure exactly why he didn't bite on Clitsome, but I'm sure he had his reasons. Always be suspicious of a player who can't stay on the roster of the 30th place team.
As Jarick and I have mentioned in a couple threads:

We were at 49/50 contracts. We didn't have any deals imminent, and didn't know whether Staubitz was going to be picked up. Let's say we did pick up Clitsome, but then the rest of the deadline went differently:

Pick up Clitsome (50/50 contracts)
Staubitz clears (50/50 contracts)
Now a team makes a player available for picks and we're interested. They're at max contracts and want to clear a spot going forward, can't make a deal so we miss out.
Edmonton wants to move quantity back for Schultz, but we can't take the extra contract.
Now fast forward to college UFA day. We're at 50/50 contracts so we can't sign JT Brown or that defenseman UFA that a number of people were all excited about.

Is it really worth losing all that just to pick up a guy who couldn't earn a spot on the worst team in the league?

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:06 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Ottawa made offers for Harding, but decided the price was too high and moved on to Bishop. Maybe they offered a second (as they did for Bishop) but more likely they wanted a discount because Harding was an impending UFA. It's more likely they offered a third, or possibly multiple lower picks or picks significantly in the future. Can you imagine the outrage here if Fletcher had traded Harding for a 2013 3rd?

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote