Old
02-28-2012, 01:22 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
ya its me the hockey player vs. the honor students
The beer belly pub league player which he doesn't realise doesn't make him better then anyone else here

Old
02-28-2012, 01:26 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Sucks to lose but I didn't expect them to win this one. LA and Calgary lost too which is good.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:28 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Sucks to lose but I didn't expect them to win this one. LA and Calgary lost too which is good.
Or bad if you look at it as a chance to catch up by 2 points has gone begging.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:29 AM
DaDucks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
The beer belly pub league player which he doesn't realise doesn't make him better then anyone else here
the league i play in worse than that... i could see my comment being taken out of context and no way did i intend of being more knowledgable about ducks hockey just because i play... man i really need to start using these more

Old
02-28-2012, 01:33 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
I'm not trashing Getzalf's play tonight... our entire team was wasted... and he didn't play that bad, despite the bad -/+ (uh oh, I sound like an NHL 12 announcer)

maybe my post was a bit OT... sorry... i was mainly talking about Getzlaf's efforts over the entire season, he was definitely one of the Duck's better players tonight.

That being said, he was a -2, and he definitely seemed to let Landeskog get under his skin in the first period... and Landeskog got the better of him.

Getzlaf should have been more worried about motivating his team to score, then worrying about showing up the young star on the avs.

Doesn't mean I don't think Getzlaf deserves upwards of 20 minutes a night, even if he was put on the second line, as a "suggestion" to step his game up, since he hasn't played very well this season, and hans't been a good leader.
I will admit that I have not watched every game this season. I got center ice the day that we traded for Pelley, and I've seen all but 3 games since then. During that time, I honestly believe that Getzlaf has been one of our best and most consistent forwards. Yes, his numbers are dissapointing, and I expect more from him. However, I think he's clearly been one of our better forwards since the new year. IMO, the only player that's been consistently better is Perry. Bonino and Cogs have been solid as well.

As for tonight, yeah he's gotta be better then that. I thought he played well though, aside from the 3rd (everyone played like ****). He was driving the net and making good plays.

Old
02-28-2012, 02:00 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
The Buffalo games have been ugly affairs with a ton of fighting. Someone needs to be there to take on Kaleta, and there's no way in hell that should be Getzlaf.

I'm of the opinion that Ryan has been inferior to Getzlaf. I wasn't impressed with him at all tonight, regardless of the goal. That line has worked well in the past though, but to be honest I'd rather they just put the lines back where they were when they were winning.

I'm also of the opinion DSP has no business on the top line, again I've only seen the last 2 games, but only showing up in 50% of the games he's been in shouldn't earn a 1st line promotion.
I think Ryan has been invisible more then he should be, but I honestly do not understand how you can bash him tonight when there many more worthy candidates. I've been impressed with Ryan lately. Seems to be taking more initiative, which is what he needs to do to be effective. I still do not think putting him and Selanne on the same line is a smart move, but the line seems to be coming around IMO. Ryan wasn't amazing tonight, but I thought he was one of the better players (although that's not saying much), and he clearly outplayed his linemates.

Moving DSP is not about giving him a promotion. Yeah he didn't do much tonight, but no one really did. He was flying last game. Maybe he was just trying to make an impact, and he isn't going to be that productive on a consistent basis, I don't know. What I do know is that Murray and the coaches have decided to keep him up and not add any other players. Sending him down now does nothing, so while I was in favor of that a month or so ago, that should be forgotten because it's not going to happen. As for moving him to the top line: Murray made the decision to do nothing to the current roster. He didn't add any rentals (which was smart IMO) and he didn't trade any expiring contracts (mistake IMO). He's made the decision that the team just needs to ride out the current year with the team it has, and make a run for the playoffs. Now with only 20 games left, the focus is entirely on this season. The team needs to find the best line combinations from what it has. If Sexton gets a game and performs well with Getz and Perry, he should stay there. No he wouldn't be deserving of it with his **** performance in the AHL this year, but if it helps get more out of the top line so be it. Blake isn't cutting it. The most dissapointing thing about today's passing deadline to me was not seeing Blake moved. He's not going to be re-signed, and he's been outperformed on the top 2 lines by Cogs and Hagman. Beleskey is a better fit for the bottom two lines. I will never question Blake's work ethic, but I am shocked on how bad he's struggling at simple things the past 5 games or so. He's struggling to make passes and worst of all, he's fumbling the puck anytime it's passed to him. We've seen what Hagman and Cogliano have done with them. Both are decent in the spot, but not the right fit. There is nothing wrong with seeing what DSP can do there. If he struggles, then yes, by all means take him off. However, right now it's about getting the most out of the current lineup.

DSP-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Koivu-Selanne
Cogliano-Bonino-Beleskey/Hagman
Beleskey/Hagman-Pelley-Parros

That's the lineup I'd like to see. Beleskey doesn't deserve to be benched IMO.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:10 PM
jepjepjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
I will admit that I have not watched every game this season. I got center ice the day that we traded for Pelley, and I've seen all but 3 games since then. During that time, I honestly believe that Getzlaf has been one of our best and most consistent forwards. Yes, his numbers are dissapointing, and I expect more from him. However, I think he's clearly been one of our better forwards since the new year. IMO, the only player that's been consistently better is Perry. Bonino and Cogs have been solid as well.

As for tonight, yeah he's gotta be better then that. I thought he played well though, aside from the 3rd (everyone played like ****). He was driving the net and making good plays.
Since new year:

Perry 26gp 16g 21pts +7
Selanne 26gp 10g 19pts +9
Getzlaf 26gp 2g 18pts +3
Ryan 26gp 10g 18pts +4
Koivu 26gp 6g 15pts +11
Cogliano 26gp 5g 13pts +2
Blake 24gp 5g 10pts +3
Bonino 25gp 2g 9pts +1
Hagman 26gp 3g 7pts +4

That's balanced scoring right there...

Getzlaf has been pointless in 13(50%) of the 26 games since new year. IMO that's unacceptable for a top line center.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:28 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jepjepjoo View Post
Since new year:

Perry 26gp 16g 21pts +7
Selanne 26gp 10g 19pts +9
Getzlaf 26gp 2g 18pts +3
Ryan 26gp 10g 18pts +4
Koivu 26gp 6g 15pts +11
Cogliano 26gp 5g 13pts +2
Blake 24gp 5g 10pts +3
Bonino 25gp 2g 9pts +1
Hagman 26gp 3g 7pts +4

That's balanced scoring right there...

Getzlaf has been pointless in 13(50%) of the 26 games since new year. IMO that's unacceptable for a top line center.
It's on him to improve if he wants a raise at the end of next year.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:48 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Or bad if you look at it as a chance to catch up by 2 points has gone begging.
Exactly. People look at this 6 or 8 points out as...we just need to win 3-7 games and WE'RE IN BABY! There's a reason sportsclubstats still has us at only 4.2% chance to get a playoff spot. It may be only 6 points but that's 6 points and 5 teams who have more than us and thus, a smaller gap to make the playoffs themselves (over us). I mean I'd read "oh it's okay that we lost to this East conf. team because at least we didn't give any points to a West team", it would blow my mind. While it's true we didn't give any points to our competitors EVERY LOSS hurts now. Those kinds of assumptions are the kind that people make when they expect to win every game from now until April. Every loss puts more onus on us to win every single night.

93 points 14-4-1
92 13-4-2
91 12-4-3, 13-5-1
90 12-5-2, 13-6-0

I think it's a fair conclusion that we can't afford more than 6 losses (and if it is 6 losses, it'll take just one OTL to end it) or any OTLs that add up to 6 losses. Actually...at this point it's fact. There is no way 89 points is a magic number and the odds of 90 being the magic number are almost as low. So we're more likely looking at 5 being the minimum games we can lose. I thought Colorado was going to be easy. I really did, I mean they just lost two guys to trade and they haven't been the best team. In fairness Chicago was slumping hard.

But looking ahead we've got

Sabres: shouldn't be as much of a challenge, but they just got new players and who knows what that will do to their confidence.
Flames: Still in the race, Kipper is on his game, they'll do anything to avoid another embarrassing season
Kings: Just acquired Carter, may be a new monster, they're looking to make the postseason just as badly as we are.
Oilers: Who are we kidding, this is a win. Unless Hall, RNH, and Eberle get frisky
Blues: pretty safely in the playoffs (who saw that coming?) but Halak has been an animal and they aren't going to be easy.
Dallas: desperate to (depending on where they are when we play) hold onto #8 or get it back.
Avs: Can obviously run our show, they want in just as badly as we do.
Red Wings: Best team in the west, we took em to one point, but that can't happen again. They'll want to maintain their West lead over Vancouver
Kings: Same old story
Preds: gonna be looking for home ice advantage, we're gonna have to beat Rinne
Blues: same story
Bruins: have been dynamite this year.
Sharks: yeah.
Yotes: want a playoff spot as their going away present to the fans

The last four games are probably "the easiest" Oilers x2 Flames and Nucks.

I'm getting the feeling Jonas might be fatigued. He's been playing a LOT of games. The thing is after last night's loss can we really put our faith in Tarkki or JDD to give Hiller some rest? We can't afford any losses, but if we don't bench Hiller soon we're going to get much more than just one loss. The goaltending situation needs to be resolved if we want to have any shot at this.

Old
02-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Excellence

Send a message via MSN to Excellence
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I'm getting the feeling Jonas might be fatigued. He's been playing a LOT of games. The thing is after last night's loss can we really put our faith in Tarkki or JDD to give Hiller some rest? We can't afford any losses, but if we don't bench Hiller soon we're going to get much more than just one loss. The goaltending situation needs to be resolved if we want to have any shot at this.
I was hoping we would get a goalie yesterday but....realistically there really wasn't many options out there. I know we need the wins but against the Oiler's I hope they let Hiller rest.

Old
02-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

For the record, I wasn't saying it was all cool because everyone else lost, I was pointing out it wasn't as bad as it could've been because everyone else lost too. We need other teams to hit their total loss levels too.

As for Ryan, I'm not sure what you're watching. He was the worst player on the ice until he scored, and mediocre at best after that. He couldn't stand up, he was responsible for several failed clearing attempts that should have been routine, he was clearly the worst player on the 2nd line. If he has to stop when he enters the zone he became a stationary off balance pylon. scoring a goal doesn't erase all that, it means he scored a goal.

Old
02-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Daz28

Joe Sacco got his guys to jump on a burnt out team in the 3rd period, simple as that. Sucks to lose the 2 pts, but they aren't supermen. DSP is probably not yet in game shape. If anyone is to blame for him playing too much when he's not it's BB. Juggling Cogs for Blake didn't seem to make much sense to me either. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Old
02-28-2012, 04:23 PM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

Thanks NHL for the brutal schedule.......8 game roadie followed by 5 in 7 nights? No wonder the team looked exhausted in the third last night.

Closed Thread