HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Ryan Johansen

Old
01-18-2013, 09:08 PM
EspenK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
So, you don't think playing with Foligno and Prospal would help him? IMO, that is probably 2 of the best players he could be on a line with. I would add Atkinson to that list too.
I think JFW's point was that he doesn't see him on a shut down 3rd line, which I agree, Foligno-Joey-Prospal is not. Problem is it appears the Jackets don't have a shutdown line and even throwing Letestu in there, while making it more so, doesn't quite get it done.

Playing with Prospal & Foligno has to help him more than burying him on the 4th with Boll & Gillies. The question is what is that line's purpose? A third scoring line or a traditional checking line?

Should be an interesting season with no true 1st line;no real checking line and 2 goalies who could go either way.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:10 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Your shutdown line would be Prospal - Letestu - Dorsett

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Calvert - Johansen - Atkinson would be an excellent line - especially at the start of the season.
Agree....

Other than JD I have no clue who is running this team but sometimes I wonder if those who are in charge of the CBJ read fan message boards for guidance instead of NHL professionals....

We will see as far as Johansen goes, with some luck he will do better than the endless list of CBJ first round picks who have failed...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:46 PM
BluejacketNut

Ive got a feeling Johansen will be filling in for Prospal quite a bit. Prospal's going to have a hard time with this pace of the shortened season at his age and not being in game shape.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Playing with Prospal & Foligno has to help him more than burying him on the 4th with Boll & Gillies. The question is what is that line's purpose? A third scoring line or a traditional checking line?
Kind of neither of the above. We're not really operating with the standard first-second-third-fourth line model at all here, so analysis based on that is going to lead to headaches at best and mistaken conclusions at worst. This is why, for example, people talk about how they can't understand why the Preds are always so competitive and ascribe it to Trotz somehow having some sort of superhuman thing going with his players or something.

Given how popular this approach is in the Central Division, one would think more Jackets fans would be familiar with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Ive got a feeling Johansen will be filling in for Prospal quite a bit. Prospal's going to have a hard time with this pace of the shortened season at his age and not being in game shape.
Um. You are of course aware that Prospal spent the lockout playing in Europe specifically because he was worried about saying in game shape, correct?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:43 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Um. You are of course aware that Prospal spent the lockout playing in Europe specifically because he was worried about saying in game shape, correct?
As much shape as a guy born in 1975 can be....

Old
01-18-2013, 11:21 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
As much shape as a guy born in 1975 can be....
Watch the crossfit games and tell me how good of shape someone can be in at 36... Seriously folks? Come on... Lets play some hockey and not worry about game shape... geez.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:28 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I think JFW's point was that he doesn't see him on a shut down 3rd line, which I agree, Foligno-Joey-Prospal is not. Problem is it appears the Jackets don't have a shutdown line and even throwing Letestu in there, while making it more so, doesn't quite get it done.

Should be an interesting season with no true 1st line;no real checking line and 2 goalies who could go either way.
I know. My point is that is doesn't matter what role they are given. Playing with those guys will help him so much more than not playing or playing in the AHL. Of course I would prefer him to not be on a shutdown line, but I don't think that would be one anyway.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Watch the crossfit games and tell me how good of shape someone can be in at 36... Seriously folks? Come on... Lets play some hockey and not worry about game shape... geez.
Kay, the Jackets should be 8-4 after their first 12 games, if only Rock and Roll part two was still legal in Nationwide I might say it's possible....

Old
01-19-2013, 02:21 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Amen.

It's kind of ridiculous. Hoardes of people who want to ***** about something, but there are just too many unknowns at this point, so they froth about without any real direction, like a flopping Dubielewicz.

At least tomorrow people should be able to refine their aim towards something real to complain about. I suppose that's a good thing.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:13 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Ok, Ok, you're right. Canadians AND Detroiters.
And NYR'ers.

I post, therefore I am.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:39 AM
BluejacketNut

I had saw Vinny down at the Ice Haus about a month and a half ago, so I figured he never went over. Hopefully im wrong, but i still think he will wear out with almost a game every other night pace

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
Amen.

It's kind of ridiculous. Hoardes of people who want to ***** about something, but there are just too many unknowns at this point, so they froth about without any real direction, like a flopping Dubielewicz.

At least tomorrow people should be able to refine their aim towards something real to complain about. I suppose that's a good thing.
On the "positive" side, that does give the Sunshine Squad Positivity Patrol Opinion Police whatever-we're-called-now the opportunity to meta-complain!

"There's nothing to complain about here! You're kvetching about imaginary BS! What's wrong with you people blah blah blah etc. etc. so ashamed to be a Jackets fan."

Old
01-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:
Calvert - Johansen - Atkinson would be an excellent line - especially at the start of the season.
Ah yes, the common Hfboards "three recent draft picks/all rookie-wet dream" line. How often has a line of three rookies (yeah Johansen and Calvert technically arent) been successful in this league? I'm guessing the answer is somewhere between never and rarely

Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisimovs AK View Post
Ah yes, the common Hfboards "three recent draft picks/all rookie-wet dream" line. How often has a line of three rookies (yeah Johansen and Calvert technically arent) been successful in this league? I'm guessing the answer is somewhere between never and rarely
Well, we needed something to replace "Vorassitov".

Old
01-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Well, we needed something to replace "Vorassitov".

Calhankinson! Johatkinvert! Atkansenvert!

Old
01-19-2013, 11:48 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Why do we need it to be successful? We need a top draft pick more than we need to finish 10th in the West.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
According to Rimer, Johansen is in tonight, centering the 3rd line.

Victory: Opinion Police.

01-19-2013, 11:50 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
According to Rimer, Johansen is in tonight, centering the 3rd line.

Victory: Opinion Police.
Victory for everyone who is a Blue Jackets fan.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Calhankinson! Johatkinvert! Atkansenvert!
Atcalvensen.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
I wish the lockout was still here, the sunshine brigade vs the doom and gloom crew, is already getting annoying, worst part is, is that it's going to happen every day until the next lockout.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:41 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Got it... getting mixed up with past players, sorry to irritate you but at you're age I'd think you would know it was not an intended error and be a tad more courteous.
How could I possibly have been more courteous, there were two pleases in there?

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I wish the lockout was still here, the sunshine brigade vs the doom and gloom crew, is already getting annoying, worst part is, is that it's going to happen every day until the next lockout.
Must be difficult for someone so dedicated to sitting on the sidelines in thay battle, hm? Oh wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Disappointed they didn't send him down, I don't want this kid to be subject to Todd Richards coaching, that is the last thing he needs for his career. The CBJ Head coach is a joke, his firing won't come soon enough when it happens after this season.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:46 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Victory for everyone who is a Blue Jackets fan.
Let's see how he develops this year, first...

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:56 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Um, shortened season. Three guys who have played together in Springfield and are in mid-season form. Don't appreciate the "wet dream" reference.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote