HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Johansen

Old
01-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Roadman
Moving On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
That's one of your more sensible posts

A positive fan with a sharp tongue. Well played.
Have never been accused of having much sense.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:40 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Have never been accused of having much sense.
but you are good at math - at least converting % to decimals.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:55 AM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

How has he looked in this recent run of success for CBJ?

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:13 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
How has he looked in this recent run of success for CBJ?
Invisible. Hasn't made any impact at all this year. Real disappointing player.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:17 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
What a joke.

He started out really hot , just not cashing in and players not cashing in on his passes. But the last few games he has been pretty invisible.

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:43 AM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

What seems to be the issue? Lack of strength, hockey sense, speed, vision, line mates or confidence? Saw him quite a bit while he was at Portland and i felt he was a lock to be a number one center in the NHL.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:48 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
What seems to be the issue? Lack of strength, hockey sense, speed, vision, line mates or confidence? Saw him quite a bit while he was at Portland and i felt he was a lock to be a number one center in the NHL.
Linemates and confidence. He'll be fine.

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:02 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
5 points in 9 games this month. I thought the 18-19-71 line was the best line when they were together. Unsure why Richards broke them up tonight when Umberger was in the line up.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:26 AM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Linemates and confidence. He'll be fine.
Good.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:47 AM
alphafox

Quote:
I'd like to preface this by saying that IMO, Johansen has been one of our best forwards this year. He's been a monster on the dot, has developed a fantastic two way game, and has shown flashes of offensive upside.

However... there have been a few issues, that have combined to hold him back from having a real breakout.

1. Linemates. No mystery here, we are at the bottom of the league in scoring and we have no high level offensive talent. Johansen is primarily a playmaker, and one of the few guy on the team that has an truly elite Hockey IQ. Points are not going to come easy without making your own offense, which leads me to point 2.

2. Conditioning. Johansen put on a bunch of muscle (like 25 lbs) over the summer, which has contributed to him being an NHL player and his defensive game, however I think his speed and conditioning has suffered, thus the inability to generate his own offense. He also seems to be one of the players that gets tired after a few games in a short period, which is likely due to the fact this is his first "full" NHL season.

3. The system. The system we are currently playing is designed for maximum defensive pressure with scoring being generated from the blue line. It is very much a defense first system (which given our personnel is a smart decision) that comes at the expense of offensive production.

I think if he can add some speed and we get the players to play a more open system Johansen will flourish.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Roadman
Moving On

He is 20 years old.

Youth + inexperience + little practice = inconsistency

Good game, good game, bad game, good game

Good shift, bad shift, good shift

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:39 AM
EspenK

Could someone please explain to me how Hockey IQ is determined?
Is there a Mensa Society for hockey players? A test given at the combine? I think it is a media driven bs phrase that has minimal meaning and even less chance of being determined. It is to me what "brick by brick" is to blah.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Is there a Mensa Society for hockey players? A test given at the combine? I think it is a media driven bs phrase that has minimal meaning and even less chance of being determined. It is to me what "brick by brick" is to blah.
In a nutshell it is how well someone sees the ice. The other often used phrase is "the play slows down." Most guys at this level have to have these things to be successful.

It is an invented term that just like in anything else gives analysts and writers another way of saying things. You haven't heard of the toothless mensas?

Last edited by Jaxs: 03-17-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:23 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

Last night

Artie took the center spot with 18 & 71. That is pretty effective too, but we have to play Joey with those experienced guys to further his development. I love the glimpses of his game when he just plays

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
He is 20 years old.

This

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:50 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
What a joke.

He started out really hot , just not cashing in and players not cashing in on his passes. But the last few games he has been pretty invisible.
He had a good scoring chance last night and then followed it up and made a great pass from behind the net. The problem? Both Jackets players in front of the net (pretty sure there were 2) didn't even get their stick on the pass. He isn't playing as good now, but that is to be expected. He is young and is going to have ups and downs. I think he is playing really well.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Xoggz22

Although Ryan hasn't been playing at the highest level the last couple games, he's shown that he has the skills and ability to be a top line center in the future. As others mentioned, he is inconsistent at the moment which is largely due to age. I like him with the current line (Foligno and Umby) but would really like to see him play with higher skill players. Currently he needs to continue to learn to play in all three zones but I think his forecheck has been better, his strength on the boards better and his vision seems to be exceptional.

Lately he's made it a habbit of blind centering passes. That tells me he's pressing a bit and representative of his inconsistency.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:52 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
I'd like to preface this by saying that IMO, Johansen has been one of our best forwards this year. He's been a monster on the dot, has developed a fantastic two way game, and has shown flashes of offensive upside.

However... there have been a few issues, that have combined to hold him back from having a real breakout.

1. Linemates. No mystery here, we are at the bottom of the league in scoring and we have no high level offensive talent. Johansen is primarily a playmaker, and one of the few guy on the team that has an truly elite Hockey IQ. Points are not going to come easy without making your own offense, which leads me to point 2.

2. Conditioning. Johansen put on a bunch of muscle (like 25 lbs) over the summer, which has contributed to him being an NHL player and his defensive game, however I think his speed and conditioning has suffered, thus the inability to generate his own offense. He also seems to be one of the players that gets tired after a few games in a short period, which is likely due to the fact this is his first "full" NHL season.

3. The system. The system we are currently playing is designed for maximum defensive pressure with scoring being generated from the blue line. It is very much a defense first system (which given our personnel is a smart decision) that comes at the expense of offensive production.

I think if he can add some speed and we get the players to play a more open system Johansen will flourish.
I agree 100%. Great post.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
We'll just chalk this up to sarcasm.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:53 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
He is 20 years old.

I agree.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:55 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
I just think of it as a player who makes a play, big or small, that other players wouldn't have. A little pass here, skating to a certain area of the ice before others would have, etc.... I am sure others can explain it better than me.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:16 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
He's also often gassed before his linemates are. A big rush or twenty seconds on the cycle and he's done.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:28 PM
davidbklyn

Quote:
It gets way overused, but I don't think it's bs. I always think of it as the difference between the "dumb jock" and a player who understands why he should play a certain way or look to a certain area on the ice/field/court

davidbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:56 PM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

If you want an idea of who has a fairly high hockey IQ watch prospal play. He's directing other players and he has a sense of where the puck is going to be and what play to make. He's been relying on his hockey IQ very heavily for most of his career since he's a mediocre skater at best. His IQ and playmaking is why he still gets points.

03-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhebner View Post
If you want an idea of who has a fairly high hockey IQ watch prospal play. He's directing other players and he has a sense of where the puck is going to be and what play to make. He's been relying on his hockey IQ very heavily for most of his career since he's a mediocre skater at best. His IQ and playmaking is why he still gets points.
Add to that his hands.

He needs a bit more strength on his skates but he can win face-offs, makes great passes, and is a threat in the offensive zone despite not scoring. He is already more noticeable than Brassard. I think he is running out of gas after ~12 minutes of TOI which is a problem. He also needs to be stronger on the puck given his size.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote