HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Johansen

Old
03-19-2013, 10:11 AM
anteater90

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbklyn View Post
Mine would be a dark mouse hole!

anteater90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:24 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
So to sum it up, the really good players have a high hockey IQ, the bad ones don't. Doh!

...to me all the esoteric answers all come down to the above. A media concocted term.
I think you might still be missing the point. Hockey sense is almost like any other skill variable, in that it helps if you have it but it won't necessarily make you better than someone who doesn't have it, provided they can outmatch you in other skill areas. Most people would take Chimera over D-Mac even though D-Mac is a smarter player.

But hockey sense is very important, which is why you have guys like Vinny Prospal being much better than Jason Chimera even though they are behind in most of the major skills.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
So to sum it up, the really good players have a high hockey IQ, the bad ones don't. Doh!

P.S. I was being a bit facetious with my original question but to me all the esoteric answers all come down to the above. A media concocted term.
Oversimplifying, but you're not too far off.

I'll give another example. My wife and I ended up with basically the same grades in math classes during high school. Mine came in tougher classes, hers in easier. Mine were low for my particular skill set since I was lazy and didn't care about actually doing homework, hers were high for her skill set because she's really bad at math. Basically, she hit her maximum output, and it was somewhere around my minimum.

A player can maximize his physical abilities to the greatest extent possible, but his ceiling is determined by his hockey IQ. Sure, you can teach an old dog new tricks, but it's a constant game of catch-up, and a smart opposing player will simply find a new way to beat you.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Johansen obviously hasn't maximized his physical skillset yet though. His conditioning needs work and he needs to turn his size into strength. We still don't know where his athleticism will end and his IQ begin.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:00 PM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I think you might still be missing the point. Hockey sense is almost like any other skill variable, in that it helps if you have it but it won't necessarily make you better than someone who doesn't have it, provided they can outmatch you in other skill areas. Most people would take Chimera over D-Mac even though D-Mac is a smarter player.

But hockey sense is very important, which is why you have guys like Vinny Prospal being much better than Jason Chimera even though they are behind in most of the major skills.
For the record, I would NEVER take a whiner like Jason Chimera over a hard working player like DMac. Of course, I have always felt that DMac is underrated and Chimmer was waaaaay overrated.

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
fox2usp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:47 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

For the original discussion, I'll finish my point from last night. It was late!

I think that Ryan Johansen has the "IQ" to be a top-2 center on this team. He's built the strength, he has the size ... now it's just putting it all together. Another year, maybe some talented wings to play with him, and I truly feel like this guy is a big part of our future.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Two goals scored tonight with RyJo parking his rear in Rinne's face.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovavic View Post
Two goals scored tonight with RyJo parking his rear in Rinne's face.
He had 4 solid opportunities tonight. He played well IMO.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:49 PM
teamkory

I know his long reach is a big asset to him, but I really feel his stick is a little too long. Two prime time opportunities and he couldn't hit the puck tonite, maybe if he chopped an inch or so off he could hit the puck easier.. just my two cents

GO JACKETS

teamkory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Joey did take a few solid shots tonight.... good to see... Hey Joey, you are good son, believe in yourself!!!!

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:01 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Thought he was solid tonight.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:49 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post

What would their hockey IQ be then? Not very high I'm betting.

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:50 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Joey did take a few solid shots tonight.... good to see... Hey Joey, you are good son, believe in yourself!!!!
Now if he could pot one every now and then...

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 09:20 AM
RDriesenUD

I know he didn't get any points last night, but he was in the front of the net screening the goaltender on both of Foligno's goals. I don't know how well he played, since I only got to to see the highlights, but it is nice having a big guy going to the net to screen the goaltender.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:44 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I know he didn't get any points last night, but he was in the front of the net screening the goaltender on both of Foligno's goals. I don't know how well he played, since I only got to to see the highlights, but it is nice having a big guy going to the net to screen the goaltender.
Whats impressed me is that RyJo is showing a lot of different skills, guy looks solid just about anywhere he's lined up.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Whats impressed me is that RyJo is showing a lot of different skills, guy looks solid just about anywhere he's lined up.
Except the scoresheet

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
What would their hockey IQ be then? Not very high I'm betting.
Well, I would say DMac's IQ is appropriate for his role, as I happen to think he could be considered and "elite" 4th liner. IQ is all about knowing where to position yourself and where to put the puck, in the broadest of senses. For different roles this can mean different things. As an energy player, Mac isn't thinking about where to position himself best to score necessarily, but rather where to be to best disrupt the play, which, IMO, he does phenomenally.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:59 AM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
This is my only problem with how they are using Johansen this year. His biggest strengths are his vision and passing yet he never holds the puck. I'd rather see him handle the puck more and let Umby screen the Goalie.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 01:01 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
This is my only problem with how they are using Johansen this year. His biggest strengths are his vision and passing yet he never holds the puck. I'd rather see him handle the puck more and let Umby screen the Goalie.
I agree, but at least he is doing what needs to be done. We haven't had a lot of guys who could/would do this.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Phenomenon13

Ryan Johansen's potential is very interesting. I believe he can be a franchise center. Unfortunately, I do not get to see the blue jackets play a lot.
How is his development going??? Is he being sheltered? in a scoring role? checking role? I noticed his numbers are lower than I expected at his current rate of development.

Phenomenon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

he's just on a line with two guys that can't seem to regularly put the puck in the net...he's played well...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:08 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Richards commented today about how he's spent much of the year matched against the top centers in the conference and has more than held his own. I think most who watch him believe that the offense will come, but he's made significant strides in all other areas of the game. After all, he is still very young and this is his first season as an full-time NHL center.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:10 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenon13 View Post
Ryan Johansen's potential is very interesting. I believe he can be a franchise center. Unfortunately, I do not get to see the blue jackets play a lot.
How is his development going??? Is he being sheltered? in a scoring role? checking role? I noticed his numbers are lower than I expected at his current rate of development.
Thinking about this, he's not really sheltered much at all. Joey, along with Umberger and Foligno, get the tough draws - Sedins, Datsyuk, probably Getzlaf tonight...

If Umberger and Foligno were better offensive threats, he'd have higher numbers. RJ (Umberger - not to be confused with Ryan Johansen) ... where offense goes to die (unless it is under 2 minutes to go in Colorado )

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Richards commented today about how he's spent much of the year matched against the top centers in the conference and has more than held his own. I think most who watch him believe that the offense will come, but he's made significant strides in all other areas of the game. After all, he is still very young and this is his first season as an full-time NHL center.
This worries me though. We shouldn't be training him to be a 3rd line center that goes against the league's top line every night with wingers like Umberger. We should be training him to be a 1st line playmaker who has the focus on offense and has wingers like Gaborik.

I know a two-way game is now required from every NHL'er but I'm still a bit skeptical about Nash's fall off coinciding with Hitchcock's tutelage in the dark arts of defense.

Let's not lose sight of what we (I) want Johansen to become... a Joe Thornton not a Sami Pahlsson.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:48 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I agree. I am happy with where his game is right now.