HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

The Ultimate Fighter Live (debuts March 9)

Old
03-18-2012, 06:38 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

vCash: 500
that whole 2nd fight pick sequence was weird. first cruz was going to let faber chose his own fighter, then when faber asks his team who is ready to fight, no one puts their hand up?

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
that whole 2nd fight pick sequence was weird. first cruz was going to let faber chose his own fighter, then when faber asks his team who is ready to fight, no one puts their hand up?
Yeah, I definitely rewound that part to try and figure out what just happened. It seemed like Faber was uneasy about choosing a fighter, since he didn't want his team to feel like he was "sacrificing" someone to go up against Cruz's top pick. That's understandable. The fact that nobody had the balls to step up, though, was pretty troubling. Doesn't say a whole lot about his team's confidence in themselves. Master Thong definitely seemed irked by Cruz's mind games.

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
I can only speak to what I saw on the show but Cruz seemed to have a pretty high opinion of Lawrence's wrestling as well in that segment where he got him to beat up on that other guy (Tickle?). If so then it could be difficult for Marcello to get him to the ground in the first place.
I think your right. He also used him to drill TDs with that guy who wanted to be on team faber.

Lawerence also said he trained with blackhouse (I think). If thats true, you'd have to think they have him there for his wrestling skills. At least that's often the case with Brazilian guys bringing in guys from states.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:00 PM
DeathFromAbove

That fight sucked, I expected more from Lawrence & Marcello.

What the hell was with Fabers coaching? CHIN DOWN CHIN DOWN

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:54 PM
kurt
the last emperor

When does this show air on the west coast in Canada? It doesn't seem to be live on Sportsnet Pacific or Sportsnet One. The guide doesn't show it later tonight either, but the guide information for Sportsnet is often wrong, so I'm guessing it is airing sometime.

Any help?

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:00 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
When does this show air on the west coast in Canada? It doesn't seem to be live on Sportsnet Pacific or Sportsnet One. The guide doesn't show it later tonight either, but the guide information for Sportsnet is often wrong, so I'm guessing it is airing sometime.

Any help?
It airs live on "FX Canada" which I imagine approximately 17 people get. I think Sportsnet airs replays on Sunday nights.

Anyways I dunno if there was much else Marcello could've done there aside from maybe try for more takedowns. He got shrugged off pretty easily every time he tried though. A BJJ guy vs a good sprawl-and-brawler is almost always gonna be a tough matchup for the former if they don't have great takedowns. The real fault is in Faber not picking a better matchup last week when Cruz gifted it to him. I dunno who the best wrestler on Faber's team is but that probably would have been the best choice.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:

Any help?
Guide doesn't show it for me, at least didn't for tonight, but it aired at 9pm and did last two weeks as well. I'm assuming it will continue to air at 9 on Sportsnet Pacific for the duration. If in doubt, check Sportsnet's website, it's usually much more accurate.

And is it just me or did the poster of Cruz that Faber's team messed with kind of make him look like Dos Santos?

Last edited by Peter Griffin: 03-24-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:03 AM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
It airs live on "FX Canada" which I imagine approximately 17 people get. I think Sportsnet airs replays on Sunday nights.
I have a Rogers digital cable box and it's channel 95 for me.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:55 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
That fight sucked, I expected more from Lawrence & Marcello.

What the hell was with Fabers coaching? CHIN DOWN CHIN DOWN
I thought his coaching was pretty good.

The gameplan to stand with Lawrence was pretty stupid though.

Marcello did need to tuck his chin and Faber warned him repeatedly to watch out for the left hook, which in the end was his undoing.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:25 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I thought his coaching was pretty good.

The gameplan to stand with Lawrence was pretty stupid though.

Marcello did need to tuck his chin and Faber warned him repeatedly to watch out for the left hook, which in the end was his undoing.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I expected more from Lawrence in that fight but still not bad. I like this version of TUF a lot better than what they have done in the past few seasons.

TUF Brazil also starts tonight. I think they're going to stream it on UFC.com

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:25 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post

I expected more from Lawrence in that fight but still not bad. I like this version of TUF a lot better than what they have done in the past few seasons.

TUF Brazil also starts tonight. I think they're going to stream it on UFC.com
The stream starts at 11:30 pm ET I believe.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:57 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
The stream starts at 11:30 pm ET I believe.
A half hour from now? I don't seem to see a link to it anywhere on the site... is it a free stream?

EDIT: once I changed my region to USA I saw a link on the front page.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:59 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
A half hour from now? I don't seem to see a link to it anywhere on the site... is it a free stream?
That's what it said on Mixedmartialarts.com

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...night-1130-PM/

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:15 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Been meaning to post this for a while but am I the only guy who prefers the old taped format to this live one?

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:16 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Been meaning to post this for a while but am I the only guy who prefers the old taped format to this live one?
I like the live format better, if for no other reason as it keeps you guessing as to the outcome of the fight. Under the old system, if the fight started just past the half hour mark, you knew it was going to the judges, if they waited until the last ten or fifteen minutes of the show to start the fight, you knew it was going to end quickly.

Part of the attraction of mma is the uncertainty, and the fact anything can and usually does happen. Take that away and it ruins the experience to a degree imo.

I also like how they have to pick the next matchup right after the fight. That feels more raw too.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:27 AM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
What benefit does the taped version have? 75% of the show is still taped now, but as Liquor mentioned you get the uncertainty of a live fight.

Old
03-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
I like the live format better, if for no other reason as it keeps you guessing as to the outcome of the fight. Under the old system, if the fight started just past the half hour mark, you knew it was going to the judges, if they waited until the last ten or fifteen minutes of the show to start the fight, you knew it was going to end quickly.

Part of the attraction of mma is the uncertainty, and the fact anything can and usually does happen. Take that away and it ruins the experience to a degree imo.

I also like how they have to pick the next matchup right after the fight. That feels more raw too.
Agreed 100%. There's just something so much more satisfying watching something live and wondering "I wonder what is going to happen" as opposed to watching something recorded and wondering "I wonder what happened." Even if you don't know the outcome either way, it's just so much better live.

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:04 PM
CNS
A World Alone

I don't know. It just seems....weird to me. Maybe it just takes some getting used to since I'm so used to 14 seasons or whatever of pre taped fights. It seems sort of clumsy and I enjoyed having the coaches break down the fight between rounds if it went to a 2nd and I think the audio during the live fight really annoys me because the taped version they would pick out certain people calling out instructions and now it all seems a bit mumbled? I'm enjoying the season for sure, just not the biggest of fans of the new version. I'm sure as the season goes on I'll start getting more accustomed to it and like it more.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:13 PM
DeathFromAbove

I imagine they will fix the clumsiness as they get more experienced with the live format.

Old
03-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Jasper

I definitely prefer the live action format. Fighters fighting in front of hundreds of thousands of people seem more likely to put on a good show than an empty taped gym.

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:07 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Iaquinta took the will away from Jury.

Jury seemed to decide sometime during the second round that he didnt want to be in the cage anymore. This really became apparent in the third "bonus" round.

No slight on him, that's just the way it goes sometimes.

Old
03-31-2012, 07:49 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Iaquinta took the will away from Jury.

Jury seemed to decide sometime during the second round that he didnt want to be in the cage anymore. This really became apparent in the third "bonus" round.

No slight on him, that's just the way it goes sometimes.
There was a point midway through the second where Jury seemed to hurt Iaquinta with a spinning backfist.. he started to press the action to try to take advantage and Iaquinta managed to tag him with a huge right hand as he was backing up that seemed to hurt Jury quite a bit. I think that might have rattled or put a bit of fear into him because he was noticeably less aggressive after that point.

One big thing that occurred to me as I watched the episode is that the new format is gonna make it nearly impossible for guys to hide injuries from the other team. Like Faber and his coaches are going to be able to watch tonight's episode and know that Rio's knee is screwed up, so if they get the choice next week you'd better believe they'll pick on him. I wonder if that's something that the producers thought through when they went to the live format.

Old
03-31-2012, 11:26 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
There was a point midway through the second where Jury seemed to hurt Iaquinta with a spinning backfist.. he started to press the action to try to take advantage and Iaquinta managed to tag him with a huge right hand as he was backing up that seemed to hurt Jury quite a bit. I think that might have rattled or put a bit of fear into him because he was noticeably less aggressive after that point.

One big thing that occurred to me as I watched the episode is that the new format is gonna make it nearly impossible for guys to hide injuries from the other team. Like Faber and his coaches are going to be able to watch tonight's episode and know that Rio's knee is screwed up, so if they get the choice next week you'd better believe they'll pick on him. I wonder if that's something that the producers thought through when they went to the live format.
There may be some interference going on in regards to that, such as producers saying (off camera of course) that Rio is off limits for fighting for the time being.

And/or Faber is a decent guy and wouldnt do that to Rio. They will give him time to heal before forcing him into the cage imo. It just makes for better tv anyway. Forcing a fighter to fight injured would just make the ufc and the sport look bad and more barbaric than they already are.

Old
04-03-2012, 08:42 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

If anyone's interested in TUF Brazil, it looks like all the episodes will be posted here: http://www.ufc.com/tuf-brasil-episodes

Just finished watching Episode 2, the fight stunk but the rest was pretty entertaining. The house they get to stay in puts the ones in Vegas to shame. Also the contrast between the two coaches is pretty great, Vitor is super-serious about everything while Wanderlei is way more laid-back and had some pretty funny quotes from tonight. Also pretty much all the fighters have cool names like "Hugo Wolverine", "Cesar Mutante" and "Pe de Chumbo".