HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles at Caps. 7pm. Verizoney Centre. 2.28.2012

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-29-2012, 08:43 AM
  #426
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,858
vCash: 500
Ok I saw the 1st period and then the last 15 mins of the 3rd...

I thought the Caps played a hard gritty game and cycled very well. They missed some shots wide and had some blocked but I thought they were clearly the aggressors and Nabakov is the one who stole a point for the Isles.

Neuvirth made a couple nice stops but it seemed the ice was tilted in the Caps favor. Glad they finally got rewarded for their work.

Schultz made that blunder but he is definitely more ornery than ever. It really seems that DH and JJ have done what I thought was next to impossible here.

In my book there was no luck about that game. Caps outhit, outchanced, outshot and outworked the Islanders and deserved to win.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:49 AM
  #427
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
They sagged big time in the second, so you picked the best stretch to miss in terms of frustration.

I never know how to judge games against guys like Nabokov that just always make themselves a factor against the Caps. A convincing win here wouldn't have told me anything, really, and a stinker of a loss wouldn't have either. I already think I have an idea of what this team is so I'll take wins wherever I can get them.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:52 AM
  #428
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 26,368
vCash: 2743
I don't look at a team we are facing and assume anything. The low life teams of the NHL have largely given us fits over the past few years. Those pesky hard working well coached AHL grade teams, including the Isles for a few years, just give us fits.

Don't over read into the Islanders scoring 2 goals on us, and almost beating us. The had a decent G on his game and they block a ton of shots.

The players give extra effort for higher ranked opponents, "big" games and the playoffs. Its a long boring season for the players, and Alzner even said it last week, its tough to get up for the lame duck games, even against our division. Wait, was he even alive during our Patrick Division glory days?

They like what we like, to face Sheetsburg, The Flies, and the Rags, conference leaders, etc. Hold those games as a better measuring stick for our club.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:54 AM
  #429
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
They sagged big time in the second, so you picked the best stretch to miss in terms of frustration.

I never know how to judge games against guys like Nabokov that just always make themselves a factor against the Caps. A convincing win here wouldn't have told me anything, really, and a stinker of a loss wouldn't have either. I already think I have an idea of what this team is so I'll take wins wherever I can get them.
I had perfect timing then it seems..sweet.

Love Orlov btw. Great hit on Tavares.

This team is certainly capable on going on streak. We'll see if they can. After last years deadline remember we played the Isles and tied it on a late Laich goal and then had Ovie win it with a great goal in OT. hmmmmmm

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:55 AM
  #430
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Because this was the first game after the trade deadline...against the @#$^ing Islanders.

The second to last team in the conference, Islanders.

Took the game to overtime.

Led the game for 59.5 minutes.

Anyone even remotely statisfied with that is simply a homer.

Yes, a "W is a W", but this was a luck W. You don't string together 4 out of 7 "luck Ws" against the ISLANDERS in the playoffs.

But I forgot, a "healthy" Backs brings us up from life support against a bottom feeding team, to being able to win series after series against teams in the East who made moves to strengthen their team.

Got it.

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:59 AM
  #431
mrwarden
Nothing Witty
 
mrwarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 9,185
vCash: 500
Just because a team is bad, doesn't mean its well coached.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:01 AM
  #432
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 26,368
vCash: 2743
Just because a team is good, doesn't mean its well coached.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:03 AM
  #433
mrwarden
Nothing Witty
 
mrwarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 9,185
vCash: 500
No one accused the Caps of being well coached or good.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:04 AM
  #434
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I had perfect timing then it seems..sweet.

Love Orlov btw. Great hit on Tavares.

This team is certainly capable on going on streak. We'll see if they can. After last years deadline remember we played the Isles and tied it on a late Laich goal and then had Ovie win it with a great goal in OT. hmmmmmm
Loved that hit, clean, hard and I loved the way he tracked him... strong and sturdy for his age.

Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:05 AM
  #435
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Just because a team is good, doesn't mean its well coached.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
No one accused the Caps of being well coached or good.
Pwnt.

The caps played well for most of the game last night and faced a hot goalie. Then when we finally get a couple past Nabokov, it was luck? Please....

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:12 AM
  #436
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
No one accused the Caps of being well coached or good.
I thought you said "nothing witty"!?

But you know where he's going.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:22 AM
  #437
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Well that was surprising. Very reminiscent of the cardiac Caps of old.
That was my feeling as well watching those last five minutes. Surreal Mr Torrance. Surreal indeed.


strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:28 AM
  #438
tycoonheart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6,624
vCash: 500
The fact that JJ and Dale got Semin (who destroyed someone along the boards last night, btw) and Sarge hitting means that coaching is better than it used to be. Two of our supposed softest players for YEARS on the team are playing physical. How the hell does that happen?

I've said this before and I will say it again, I like the style Dale and his staff has these guys playing. I like our chances in the playoffs (if we make it) more than the past couple of years. I think these guys can do some damage.

A few things I'd like to see happen:

- Consistent goaltending.
- Semin and Sarge keep playing the way they are playing now
- Ovi steps it up a notch

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:28 AM
  #439
MiSe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 129
vCash: 500
Its funny how the first game after the deadline last year was against the same Islanders where we trailed the entire game 1-0 scored with the net empty, then Ovi beat Nielsen for that highlight real goal. Bears a strong resemblance.

MiSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:37 AM
  #440
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
The fact that JJ and Dale got Semin (who destroyed someone along the boards last night, btw) and Sarge hitting means that coaching is better than it used to be. Two of our supposed softest players for YEARS on the team are playing physical. How the hell does that happen?

I've said this before and I will say it again, I like the style Dale and his staff has these guys playing. I like our chances in the playoffs (if we make it) more than the past couple of years. I think these guys can do some damage.

A few things I'd like to see happen:

- Consistent goaltending.
- Semin and Sarge keep playing the way they are playing now
- Ovi steps it up a notch
Agree with this. I forgot to mention Semin in addition to 55. Dale prefers guys that hit and its prob a reason why Ward is on the 4th line, and Knuble/Hamr are scratches. None of those guys really have much speed but also they don't finish their checks consistently (Knuble does take punishment but he doesn't dish it)

Also is it me but have they seemingly gone away from the complete "fall back and trap" posture they used not so long ago? hmmm


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Loved that hit, clean, hard and I loved the way he tracked him... strong and sturdy for his age.
He sure is! He is the complete package of skating, passing, shooting, defending, hitting etc

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:43 AM
  #441
tycoonheart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Also is it me but have they seemingly gone away from the complete "fall back and trap" posture they used not so long ago? hmmm
They have. But they still use it on occasion. They did it against Toronto early and it worked. That team has a lot of speed and they used the trap early to slow them down and create turnovers. It was the perfect plan. Didn't see it so much last night. The coaching staff is definitely switching things up and changing plans depending on who they play.


Last edited by tycoonheart: 02-29-2012 at 09:48 AM.
tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:46 AM
  #442
bonzilla
Registered User
 
bonzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Va
Country: United States
Posts: 846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
The fact that JJ and Dale got Semin (who destroyed someone along the boards last night, btw) and Sarge hitting means that coaching is better than it used to be. Two of our supposed softest players for YEARS on the team are playing physical. How the hell does that happen?

I've said this before and I will say it again, I like the style Dale and his staff has these guys playing. I like our chances in the playoffs (if we make it) more than the past couple of years. I think these guys can do some damage.

A few things I'd like to see happen:

- Consistent goaltending.
- Semin and Sarge keep playing the way they are playing now
- Ovi steps it up a notch
I agree!
Especially like the long term sentances to Dale's dog house. No sitting a few shifts or for a game - it's hard time, yo. Very interesting to see the results once Knuble and Hamr get sprung.

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:53 AM
  #443
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 11,621
vCash: 500
Resign Sasha.
Do it George.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:03 AM
  #444
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 26,368
vCash: 2743
I stand accused. pwnt? Get real G3.

Has anyone not believed me when I said I think we will make the playoffs? That perhaps Dale's job is a lot harder than we can imagine, based on say poor habits the players have, or George telling him how to run the team. Why have NHL GM's inquired about his services, if he is such a bad coach? Why did the experts pick us to contend, if we are such a bad team?

If you think Dale is a horrible coach and that our team is not good, you should have no delay in stating now that you believe we won't make the playoffs. And that if we are gifted in, won't win a series or even a game.

Maybe a mod here can make a poll so we can see who was right and wrong.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:25 AM
  #445
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I stand accused. pwnt? Get real G3.

Has anyone not believed me when I said I think we will make the playoffs? That perhaps Dale's job is a lot harder than we can imagine, based on say poor habits the players have, or George telling him how to run the team. Why have NHL GM's inquired about his services, if he is such a bad coach? Why did the experts pick us to contend, if we are such a bad team?

If you think Dale is a horrible coach and that our team is not good, you should have no delay in stating now that you believe we won't make the playoffs. And that if we are gifted in, won't win a series or even a game.

Maybe a mod here can make a poll so we can see who was right and wrong.
Put me in the, "Will make the playoffs and get bounced by the Rangers or Bruins in 5 games, in the first round" boat. I'll captain that ship.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:30 AM
  #446
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
I think they can make the playoffs because the East is terrible. I have no illusions about them being a good team, though (at least in the context of what they should be able to be).

If/when they get there, anything can happen based on luck. Granted, the Caps rarely have that when they need it but you never know. There are some pretty crappy teams that have made it pretty far in the playoffs.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:37 AM
  #447
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 21,278
vCash: 500
Yup. Montreal wasn't a very good team. They got to the ECF on the back of red-hot goaltending.

If the Caps get Backstrom back at 100%, stay healthy, and a goalie gets hot, they could get somewhere.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:41 AM
  #448
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I stand accused. pwnt? Get real G3.

Has anyone not believed me when I said I think we will make the playoffs? That perhaps Dale's job is a lot harder than we can imagine, based on say poor habits the players have, or George telling him how to run the team. Why have NHL GM's inquired about his services, if he is such a bad coach? Why did the experts pick us to contend, if we are such a bad team?

If you think Dale is a horrible coach and that our team is not good, you should have no delay in stating now that you believe we won't make the playoffs. And that if we are gifted in, won't win a series or even a game.

Maybe a mod here can make a poll so we can see who was right and wrong.
I don't know if we make the playoffs or not but if we do I believe we will crucial the upset if we are a low seed. In fact, I'd kind of prefer that.

No pressure..playing with house money..role of the underdog

Once that happens I can easily see us going on a roll and we'll have to have a new "running down a dream" video montage created.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yup. Montreal wasn't a very good team. They got to the ECF on the back of red-hot goaltending.

If the Caps get Backstrom back at 100%, stay healthy, and a goalie gets hot, they could get somewhere.
I'll say it now. I don't believe they need Backstrom (wouldn't hurt!) to make a run...

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/04/when_john_druce_was_loose.html


Last edited by BobRouse: 02-29-2012 at 10:47 AM.
BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:44 AM
  #449
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Because this was the first game after the trade deadline...against the @#$^ing Islanders.

The second to last team in the conference, Islanders.

Took the game to overtime.

Led the game for 59.5 minutes.

Anyone even remotely statisfied with that is simply a homer.

Yes, a "W is a W", but this was a luck W. You don't string together 4 out of 7 "luck Ws" against the ISLANDERS in the playoffs.

But I forgot, a "healthy" Backs brings us up from life support against a bottom feeding team, to being able to win series after series against teams in the East who made moves to strengthen their team.

Got it.
The Islanders lead for 55 minutes 20 seconds, not 59.5. If you are going to go on a dumb rant, at least get your facts right.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:50 AM
  #450
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 21,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I'll say it now. I don't believe they need Backstrom (wouldn't hurt!) to make a run...

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/04/when_john_druce_was_loose.html
I think they get killed in the middle of the ice without him.

And come on, you know as well as I do that the Druce thing is a once in a generation type occurence.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.