HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Isles at Caps. 7pm. Verizoney Centre. 2.28.2012

Old
02-29-2012, 10:52 AM
bgroban

vCash: 500
Love the bump #3 gave Ovy at the end there after he scored the goal.

H8ter.

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:57 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
And come on, you know as well as I do that the Druce thing is a once in a generation type occurence.
I am liking what I'm seeing from MP since he's gotten the opportunity. Johansson was one of our better players last spring.

We have a deeper defense and much more grit especially with 28 and 55 playing mean.

We get into the playoffs it will most likely be because we went on a bit of a run of good play. Carry that over and win a series...confidence can do funny things to players.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:59 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I stand accused. pwnt? Get real G3.

Has anyone not believed me when I said I think we will make the playoffs? That perhaps Dale's job is a lot harder than we can imagine, based on say poor habits the players have, or George telling him how to run the team. Why have NHL GM's inquired about his services, if he is such a bad coach? Why did the experts pick us to contend, if we are such a bad team?

If you think Dale is a horrible coach and that our team is not good, you should have no delay in stating now that you believe we won't make the playoffs. And that if we are gifted in, won't win a series or even a game.

Maybe a mod here can make a poll so we can see who was right and wrong.
Your idea of good is my idea of mediocre. 16th in a 30 team league.

02-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Roughing

It's almost like... if they play hard all 60 minutes and go to the net frequently they can win games. Whodathunkit?

Praying Nicky returns soon...

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:01 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

It's pretty amazing that in two years we've gone from, "what strategies should we employ to dismantle team x in a 7 game series" to "if we make it, maybe someone will go on a historic hot streak and we'll steal a series".

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:02 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I am liking what I'm seeing from MP since he's gotten the opportunity. Johansson was one of our better players last spring.

We have a deeper defense and much more grit especially with 28 and 55 playing mean.

We get into the playoffs it will most likely be because we went on a bit of a run of good play. Carry that over and win a series...confidence can do funny things to players.
I guess I disagree on what it will take to get in the playoffs. I think as long as they don't suck, they'll likely get in. They're basically competing with Toronto, Winnipeg, Florida, and Tampa for 3 and 8. Toronto's in a free fall, and Winnipeg and Tampa aren't very good. I'm also still not a believer in Florida, and wouldn't be surprised at all if they lose 6 or 7 in a row.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:04 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
It's pretty amazing that in two years we've gone from, "what strategies should we employ to dismantle team x in a 7 game series" to "if we make it, maybe someone will go on a historic hot streak and we'll steal a series".

I think they can get in now with Green back...but Im still not believing they have the heart and make up to make it past a round or two. But you never know how winning a few in a row can get this bunch going.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:11 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

I think they can get in now with Green back...but Im still not believing they have the heart and make up to make it past a round or two. But you never know how winning a few in a row can get this bunch going.
If Alex puts down the Funyuns for a minute, anything is possible I guess.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:19 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Its all about confidence. There is no question that even without Backstrom this team is very talented and in addition has added/developed some much needed grit over the years and especially this season.

All it takes is a winning streak to get the confidence up and it will start a snowball rolling downhill.

Do I need to once again bring up "the goal" by Messier that simultaneously ended the Islander's dynasty and sprung the Oilers? I still fully believe Ovechkin will have this moment.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Quote:
If Alex puts down the Funyuns for a minute, anything is possible I guess.
If only it was juat Funyuns.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:28 AM
marcel snapshot

[QUOTE=NobodyBeatsTheWiz;45242421][QUOTE=BobRouse;45241989]
I'll say it now. I don't believe they need Backstrom (wouldn't hurt!) to make a run...

[URL="
I think they get killed in the middle of the ice without him.

And come on, you know as well as I do that the Druce thing is a once in a generation type occurence.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it happened the previous playoff year too. A guy named Chris Kontos, who had never scored more than 8 goals in an entire NHL season, potted 9 in 11 playoff games, and got the LA Kings into the 2nd round for only the 2nd time in more than a decade.

Sure Gretzky helped too , but the point is that it's pretty common in a given playoff year for at least one guy to produce way above what he usually does -- last year it was Joel Ward. Unfortunately, that makes it pretty unlikely he'll be that guy this year.

Your point about us suffering in the middle of the ice is well-taken however. When you watch this team, and shake your head and say where is the chemistry between the players on the ice -- the answer is "He's at home on the couch with a headache." Nick's the element that bonded a lot of other elements.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:08 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

[QUOTE=NobodyBeatsTheWiz;45242421][QUOTE=BobRouse;45241989]
I'll say it now. I don't believe they need Backstrom (wouldn't hurt!) to make a run...

[URL="
I think they get killed in the middle of the ice without him.

And come on, you know as well as I do that the Druce thing is a once in a generation type occurence.[/QUOTE]

Yep, no denying 19 is vital to our success. I think the team is learning to play without him though. Guys are adjusting to compensate for what they're lacking in production when Backstrom is out of the line-up.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I remember that game in MIN a few years ago, was watching with my friends. Caps were down 4-0. "We're not gonna score" I say, then Fehr (I think) scores. "We're still dead though, game's over" and they score again. "We're not going to make it interesting" and they make it 4-3. Didn't have enough to get the last one though.

Don't underestimate the powers of negative thinking.
LOL, I call it "Brooding". A good Brood will get it everytime!

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:23 PM
marcel snapshot

Props to Halpy for the face-off win on the tying goal last night. He needed to use every bit of his Princeton-educated wile and cunning for us retain possession there.

And good on Dale for using him there -- seem to recall the last time we pulled a goalie, somebody other than Halpy took a key draw deep and the result was an EN. Good to live and learn.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:27 PM
tycoonheart

Halpy's line was awesome all night. Pretty much played the entire game in the Islanders zone.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:16 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Your idea of good is my idea of mediocre. 16th in a 30 team league.
The playoffs haven't started yet. The Titanic is still being rebuilt, I am sure you noticed, and probably questioned the methods of those that do those things. Nick going down is patching the biggest hole of them all. And its only been 3 months.

I question what is to be read into where we stand points wise on February 29th. It's really a meaningless stat. All a team needs to do is make it to the dance. 16th is in, so I guess thanks for pointing that out.

If you aren't optimistic of seeing the changes slowing coming around, please don't try to drag the board down. Yep Dale isn't trapping 24/7, he is not being static and predictable. We are winning games with what must be the lamest C of the contenders. We are DEEP on D. George says puck movers are key. We have 5.

The season hasn't even begun.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:24 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

Perreault issue all along was cracking the lineup. I can see him getting some playoff goals. Yes, Johansson gained a ton of experience last year and without him, the NYR would have won that series.

Think of 1994 if we get in as 8th seed. If we can pull a 1st round upset, I would consider that success compared to what has happened this season. The East just isn't selling me at all outside of Boston. This year if we make it in, the pressure isn't on us to win like it will be for Boston and the NYR. One thing we can do is hope.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:24 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

I literally have no idea how to argue you with you anymore. There is literally nothing about the way the team is playing (given that my evaluations are based on more than the last result) that encourages me to think this team is anywhere close to as good as it was even last year, let alone making progress toward anything at the moment.

Could lightning strike? Sure, yeah. I hope (and believe) they make the playoffs. But they're not "good", there's nothing about them that strikes me as "well-coached" and I continue to believe the roster is poorly constructed.

Not having a center doesn't make them more impressive, it means they need a freaking center.

Am I impressed that the team is winning half its games without a center? Not particularly, no. And we have no idea if 19 will be back.

Edit: 17-1. Bruce had a 32 day period where the team went 17-1. And I'm supposed to be impressed by beating the Islanders at home in overtime.

Last edited by mrwarden: 02-29-2012 at 01:31 PM.
mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:42 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow....what to say. Strange game to attend last night. Dominated the 1st, but down 1-0. Pretty flat for long portions of the 2nd and 3rd, but it still felt like we carried the play most of the night.

Before Brouwer scored his first, the crowd was as quiet as I've heard it in a long time. People were yelling "Bring back Boudreau" and "Fire Dale". Then the timing of everything suddenly clicked. Brouwer scores, queue the "Unleash the Fury" video in arena and the house was alive suddenly. When Ovy scored the OT winner, it was like we clinched a playoff series in there....pretty damned fun.

That was a season saver right there.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 02-29-2012 at 01:56 PM.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:45 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

BTW...until Brouwer went off late, I thought Semin was the best skater all night for the Caps. Hitting, playing smart hockey. Credit where credit is due...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:47 PM
tycoonheart

Real good that 17-1 did for us in the playoffs.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Not that hard to believe... the team does not have a legitimate 1 or 2 C.

Vladiator16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Real good that 17-1 did for us in the playoffs.
Good thing we're counting on being the 8th seed as the guaranteed path to the cup then. I ****ing swear...holy crap.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:52 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Good thing we're counting on being the 8th seed as the guaranteed path to the cup then. I ****ing swear...holy crap.
Because being a dominant team in the regular season has done so much good for us in the past, right?

This team will do no worse in the playoffs this year than they did under Bruce's watch.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:55 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

I like Dale and hated Bruce. Therefore I will argue looking worse as a team in virtually every respect is actually better and actually evidence of being a better coach. Furthermore, I can reasonably conclude that being a good regular season team is a negative, leads to worse playoff results, and having home ice is actually to be avoided at all costs on the basis of one miraculous regular season run, two second round exits, and one first round miracle loss.