HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles at Caps. 7pm. Verizoney Centre. 2.28.2012

Old
02-29-2012, 02:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

I'll say it now. I don't believe they need Backstrom (wouldn't hurt!) to make a run...
[/URL]
Stop the Linsanity.

They won't win a series without him. Funny thing is, I could see this team making some noise if they get in, but their lack of depth will be their undoing. Thanks George.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:58 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I don't like either coach. What do I get?

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:58 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
Perreault issue all along was cracking the lineup. I can see him getting some playoff goals. Yes, Johansson gained a ton of experience last year and without him, the NYR would have won that series.

Think of 1994 if we get in as 8th seed. If we can pull a 1st round upset, I would consider that success compared to what has happened this season. The East just isn't selling me at all outside of Boston. This year if we make it in, the pressure isn't on us to win like it will be for Boston and the NYR. One thing we can do is hope.
There isn't a team the Caps couldn't beat in a 7 game series, East or West, if they play like they are capable of. On the flip side there isn't a team they couldn't lose to either. They just need consistency. To achieve that they must get confidence. Winning will do that especially as an underdog in a playoff series.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:59 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
There isn't a team the Caps couldn't beat in a 7 game series, East or West, if they play like they are capable of. On the flip side there isn't a team they couldn't lose to either. They just need consistency. To achieve that they must get confidence. Winning will do that especially as an underdog in a playoff series.
That's the wonderful thing about being mentally fragile. Give up the first goal in a series, tank.

02-29-2012, 03:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Because being a dominant team in the regular season has done so much good for us in the past, right?

This team will do no worse in the playoffs this year than they did under Bruce's watch.
You don't think they could get swept in the 1st round, or even worse, not even make it? Either option is worse than they did under Bruce.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:01 PM
tycoonheart

There is only one person who is bringing up Bruce here. You need to accept the fact that your boy is gone. He's been gone for months. Let it go. Watch the team try to play a different style of hockey. They might not be the regular season behemoth they were but they're trying to win playing different. They are still not consistent but there is still games to be played. Some of us are hoping certain things happen and this team goes on a run. You are more than welcome to keep *****ing the way you do and pining for Bruce.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:01 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I don't like either coach. What do I get?
A funny hat and a spot in the corner next to Mrwarden.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:03 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
You don't think they could get swept in the 1st round, or even worse, not even make it? Either option is worse than they did under Bruce.
No playoffs is certainly possibly.

But getting swept in the 1st round as the 8th seed isn't as painful as losing to the 8th seed while setting all sorts of records in the regular season.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:04 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
There is only one person who is bringing up Bruce here. You need to accept the fact that your boy is gone. He's been gone for months. Let it go. Watch the team try to play a different style of hockey. They might not be the regular season behemoth they were but they're trying to win playing different. They are still not consistent but there is still games to be played. Some of us are hoping certain things happen and this team goes on a run. You are more than welcome to keep *****ing the way you do and pining for Bruce.
If you're talking about progress, you have to be comparing it to something. Progress towards what? From what? Evidence being what?

A firing, in and of itself, is not progress, and I've yet to see anyone actually point anything out that indicates actual progress. What in the world makes you think this team will be successful in the playoffs beyond blind hope?

That's the debate. Sorry if you can't grasp that.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:05 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
That's the wonderful thing about being mentally fragile. Give up the first goal in a series, tank.
The verdict is out on this team still in my book. I heard much of the same things about the Redwings from 1989 on. "Yzerman" wasn't a leader, they choke, always getting upset in the playoffs.

All it takes is a measure of winning and the whole mentality can change. The Caps in 89 had an excellent team. They got Dino and Rouse in a huge deal at the deadline and crushed down the stretch. They lost in the 1st round to Philly..

They lost Gustafsson and Christian (2 of the better offensive players) the following year but got a ton more sandpaper. They barely made it into the playoffs. You know what happened after that...that same team was historically "mentally fragile"

Old
02-29-2012, 03:07 PM
tycoonheart

I could give you a list of things I think this team has made progress in but that wouldn't matter because you're going to say "BUT THIS TEAM WON SO MANY GAMES UNDER MY BOY BRUCE", and you would say everything else is moot. Like I said, lets wait for the playoffs and see how this team does. If this team doesn't do any worse than what they did under Bruce, what are you going to ***** about next?

Old
02-29-2012, 03:08 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
The verdict is out on this team still in my book. I heard much of the same things about the Redwings from 1989 on. "Yzerman" wasn't a leader, they choke, always getting upset in the playoffs.

All it takes is a measure of winning and the whole mentality can change. The Caps in 89 had an excellent team. They got Dino and Rouse in a huge deal at the deadline and crushed down the stretch. They lost in the 1st round to Philly..

They lost Gustafsson and Christian (2 of the better offensive players) the following year but got a ton more sandpaper. They barely made it into the playoffs. You know what happened after that...that same team was historically "mentally fragile"
You say this is as if it's a good thing that, even if the team were playing well, we'd still have to hope to get out ahead in every series for fear of a mental meltdown. We've gone into the playoffs very hot, very recently. This team is as confident as the last goal scored.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:11 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
I could give you a list of things I think this team has made progress in but that wouldn't matter because you're going to say "BUT THIS TEAM WON SO MANY GAMES UNDER MY BOY BRUCE", and you would say everything else is moot. Like I said, lets wait for the playoffs and see how this team does. If this team doesn't do any worse than what they did under Bruce, what are you going to ***** about next?
Thank you for your contribution. It is now evident that the team is headed in the right direction on the basis of your sound logical premises.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:12 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No playoffs is certainly possibly.

But getting swept in the 1st round as the 8th seed isn't as painful as losing to the 8th seed while setting all sorts of records in the regular season.
Getting swept is always worse IMO.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:14 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
You say this is as if it's a good thing that, even if the team were playing well, we'd still have to hope to get out ahead in every series for fear of a mental meltdown. We've gone into the playoffs very hot, very recently. This team is as confident as the last goal scored.
Again..in 90 the Caps went down to the heavily favored Devils 2-1. All the experts predicted we'd go down in 5 at the time. How did that work out?

Against the heavily favored Rags we lost game one at one point trailing 4-0 (I think Gartner even had a goal or two in that game). How did that work out?

Again..up until that year we were chokers. How do you explain the sudden turnaround? My take? We had a grittier team than in the past and got some confidence. Being the underdog can be a good thing too.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:16 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

I'll admit to being 6 years old in 90, though I did go to the games in that run, so I can't testify as to how mentally fragile they were in practice outside of the results.

I can say, THIS team strikes me as unbelievably fragile.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:19 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'll admit to being 6 years old in 90, though I did go to the games in that run, so I can't testify as to how mentally fragile they were in practice outside of the results.

They have been for a few years and will until the core is changed.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:20 PM
BobRouse

Quote:

Trust me..the 80s teams were involved in epic chokes. In 84 up 2-0 in best of 5 vs isles..choke. in 85 HOW THE HELL DID WE LOSE TO THE RAGS???? I think in game 5 we even blew a huge lead. In 86 up 3-1 vs the Isles...goes to game 7 and them without bossy or potvin..up 2-1 with 5 mins left...choke.

We got Hunter and beat the Flyers the next year but then choked vs the Devils who we were heavily favored against.

The next year we choked against the Flyers who we were heavily favored against.

The 80s were full of choke trust me. There were just as many, if not more, questions around those teams than this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Stop the Linsanity.

They won't win a series without him. Funny thing is, I could see this team making some noise if they get in, but their lack of depth will be their undoing. Thanks George.
Yeah we lack depth at center..but everywhere else we have it. D and G are the most important when playoffs roll around and I like what we have there with Green back and Neuvirth challenging Vokoun.

Last edited by BobRouse: 02-29-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old
02-29-2012, 03:26 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Quote:
Trust me..the 80s teams were involved in epic chokes. In 84 up 2-0 in best of 5 vs isles..choke. in 85 HOW THE HELL DID WE LOSE TO THE RAGS???? I think in game 5 we even blew a huge lead. In 86 up 3-1 vs the Isles...goes to game 7 and them without bossy or potvin..up 2-1 with 5 mins left...choke.

We got Hunter and beat the Flyers the next year but then choked vs the Devils who we were heavily favored against.

The 80s were full of choke trust me. There were just as many, if not more, questions around those teams than this one.

Yeah we lack depth at center..but everywhere else we have it. D and G are the most important when playoffs roll around and I like what we have there with Green back and Neuvirth challenging Vokoun.

Ugh, please stop making me have negative flashbacks.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:32 PM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
No doubt. They weren't in 07-08 and 08-09 -- then they were young and dumb and full of, er, spunk. But ever since the weight of expectations was placed upon them, they ain't handled it well.

They have 3 guys who have made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs and 2 of them were scratched last night. At least the 3rd guy -- Brouwer -- almost single-handedly salvaged the game (and perhaps his mentally fragile 'mates). We're gonna need a boat-load more of that from him down the stretch - 'cuz he looks to be the only guy (perhaps aside from Halpy and Chim) with the requisite amount of mental toughness.

On Bruce v. Dale -- the course of the season and the recent comments from Olie and GMGM, and from Bruce himself have persuaded me that the main reason Bruce was fired was that he tried to make the players change and they couldn't or wouldn't do it. Neither Bruce nor GMGM felt like they could back to old run n' gun, and Bruce couldn't make 'em change - so he got fired in part to shock some sense into the children and see if they'd listen more attentively to the new voice of authority.

They seem to be trying to do that, but it's all very much a work in progress -- and it's made a bit harder by the fact that our player with the highest hockey IQ is out, and our captain and leader -- who has many skills and talents God bless him -- still has a ways to go in the Hockey I.Q. and professional maturity departments.

On the bright side, as we've all noticed, Semin's progress on these fronts has been a pleasant surprise. In fact, with Nick out, he really seems to be trying to be the guy who plays all facets of the game and is working on making everyone around him better.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:43 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
If you're talking about progress, you have to be comparing it to something. Progress towards what? From what? Evidence being what?

A firing, in and of itself, is not progress, and I've yet to see anyone actually point anything out that indicates actual progress. What in the world makes you think this team will be successful in the playoffs beyond blind hope?

That's the debate. Sorry if you can't grasp that.
Compare it to Bruce's 4-9-2 or whatever with the similar team to what we're icing now.

Not that I disagree with the lack of enthusiasm for a run. We're making 8th and Ted should dance the jig if we luck into a 3rd home game.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:49 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Compare it to Bruce's 4-9-2 or whatever with the similar team to what we're icing now.

Not that I disagree with the lack of enthusiasm for a run. We're making 8th and Ted should dance the jig if we luck into a 3rd home game.
The stretch that got Bruce fired was 3-7-1. Go back any further and you start piling on wins faster than losses (and not very much farther and you hit that obnoxious 7-0 start).

Prior to this three game win streak, we were 1-5-1 in our last 7. Go back further than that and it's 3-7-2.

So yeah, three game win streak is nice. Where's the progress?

Old
02-29-2012, 03:54 PM
tycoonheart

When you're changing your philosophy, approach and playstyle, wins and losses might not be the best way to track progress. Ultimately wins and losses do matter, yes. Like I said earlier, the hope is the team is fully transformed by season's end and they go into the playoffs knowing how the play, the new way. And perhaps the wins start coming soon enough.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:16 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:

1985 and 1992 were the worst chokes for the Caps. Damn Rangers and Pens.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:17 PM
artilector

Quote:
Hate to bring up the negative, but.. I just don't see how "everywhere else we have it".

-- 50% or whatever chance of having a black hole at center come playoffs
-- even if Backstrom is back, two other young centers that are not ready for prime time.
-- defense without any legit top pairing defensemen (you can debate re:Green, maybe, but he's fragile, anyway)
-- defense that lacks dependable guys, period. Alzner.. maybe Hammer.. everybody else is prone to blunders at this point.
-- defense that relies on 3 very young players, with very little playoff experience, in major roles.
-- #8.. is still not where the Caps need him to be, and who knows what he'll be like in playoffs
-- goalies.. the best one can say is "meh". Rangers, Bruins, Pens have easily better goaltending, for example.

artilector is online now   Reply With Quote