HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles at Caps. 7pm. Verizoney Centre. 2.28.2012

Old
03-01-2012, 09:49 AM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Prevent has its merits since most coaches across many sports will implore it, although most all fans hate it of course.
It sure does..there is a time and place for it. Gruden once said something along the lines that it is a good strategy b/c you use the clock to your advantage.

What I don't get is lets say we are down a goal or two...I have seen Hunter stick with the passive trap in some of those situations. Its not smart in my book to do that.

I can see if you are nursing a lead in the 3rd period of a very important game that you use it but I never like to see it in the 1st 2 periods especially if we are trailing.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:09 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Hamrlik has been good actually under Hunter. Schultz..I agree with GMGM..by far the best he's ever played. He looks like a top 4 dman to me right now with no question. Love the sandpaper and the fact that he is using his size. His positioning and passing (for a big guy) has always been decent. And Erskine at #8 has always come thru in the playoffs. So yeah..we got lots of depth there.

Knuble would be starting for most teams and will for us again soon. Aucoin has never sucked and the little guy always comes to play.

All our goalies have struggled a bit this year from time to time but each and every one of them can turn it on at any second. Vokoun is a vet with a top save pctg in the league since the lockout. Neuvirth won back to back championships in one of the best leagues in the world outside the NHL. Holtby I have faith in in a pinch.

The main thing is that we are getting more from guys like Semin and Schultz which helps to cover for Backstrom's abscense. We are outhitting opponents on most nights which is shocking.

In a 7 game series this style of play will certainly wear down an opponent.

Have faith. Let's get into the playoffs and I think you'll be surprised.

The only complaint I had about Hunter (or the main one) is the Cap Trap. I never liked it with Wilson, Hanlon or BB. Its not only boring but isn't what this team is built for.

Now it seems we are on the attack alot more and not sitting back. I really started seeing it against the game vs the Sharks. But then when we went into Tampa and Carolina we just stayed back the whole game and predictably we lost those in ugly fashion.

We are starting to outshoot and outchance opponents in addition to outhit them. Lets see if this trend can continue.
Hell of a post, Bob. Props.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:53 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Hell of a post, Bob. Props.
Thanks...but let's be real here...all my posts pretty much kick a fresh turd on a real hot day! ummm..wait...uhhh...

Old
03-01-2012, 12:10 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

The trap is installed cause they are a transition team with some pretty weak forecheckers.... avg at best. They also are avg at best at getting puck out of zone and into breakout on a consistent basis with numbers.

So... how do you generate scoring best in that scenario? You force mistakes in neutral zone. It also, hopefully, should tend to lessen the goals against.

When they prove they can break out of zone consistently... and maintain a forecheck across all 4 lines consistently... we have our game plan in that trap. That starts with skilled and experienced defense (unless you're an ungodly talent like Green).

edit: agreed that physical play PLUS frustrating other team (dump and make them go 200' when you don't have numbers) PLUS smart passing and possession (limiting opponents puck time) all lead to turnovers... leading to transition... leading to maintaining a forecheck through the rush.... leads to winning and better hockey on the eyes. This all goes to Langway's assertion that we have less margin for error.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:58 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

In this mini-streak, our 4th line has forechecked like a beast. That's why they are getting so much TOI. Other lines need to take a hint. I'd say the 2nd line has been second best on the forecheck. The Laich line, paired against other team's best has spent a fair amount of time playing D. Would like to see them put up more of a fight.

Also, the one shift by the 8-85(?)-28 line in the game vs. TO was absolutely dominant. Add in strong blue line coverage from, 27-74 IIRC, and it was a beautiful thing.

Admittedly, Toronto is falling apart, but I'd like to seem that possession game much more.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:36 PM
tycoonheart

The Brouwer line is excellent at forechecking too. Heck Semin's been pretty beastly himself. MP is no slouth either, surprisingly.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
The trap is installed cause they are a transition team with some pretty weak forecheckers.... avg at best. They also are avg at best at getting puck out of zone and into breakout on a consistent basis with numbers.

So... how do you generate scoring best in that scenario? You force mistakes in neutral zone. It also, hopefully, should tend to lessen the goals against.

When they prove they can break out of zone consistently... and maintain a forecheck across all 4 lines consistently... we have our game plan in that trap. That starts with skilled and experienced defense (unless you're an ungodly talent like Green).

edit: agreed that physical play PLUS frustrating other team (dump and make them go 200' when you don't have numbers) PLUS smart passing and possession (limiting opponents puck time) all lead to turnovers... leading to transition... leading to maintaining a forecheck through the rush.... leads to winning and better hockey on the eyes. This all goes to Langway's assertion that we have less margin for error.
I also believe deep down, Hunter, McPhee and most of the hockey minds around this team feel that to win in the playoffs they can't run and gun it up 24/7. They need to be able to clamp down and hold onto that 2-1 win on nights when the offense isn't firing. They don't have the ability in this type of NHL to just win 6-5 every night, and the needing to win those close games and be responsible is every bit as important as figuring out how to score a bit more.

It does have to do with the centers they do and don't have, and needing to alter the game to where the smaller guys they have aren't taxed as much. But they need to make sure they can limit what the other team gets and impose their will on the other clubs, before they go all out.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Thanks...but let's be real here...all my posts pretty much kick a fresh turd on a real hot day! ummm..wait...uhhh...
never would have thought you'd be the shining beacon of faith and good will on this board. Hats off for calling it what it is

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:42 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
never would have thought you'd be the shining beacon of faith and good will on this board. Hats off for calling it what it is
Its bizzaro HF Caps boards these days...

Back in the day I was the "negative nancy" who was venemous.

Now some of the mods are taking over my role from those days and I have turned into the one who wears the "rose colored glasses"

For instance I have ALWAYS hated Schultz. From the day we drafted him in fact! But I'm not so stubborn in my ways to see that (what I considered IMPOSSIBLE) he has become somewhat ornery. A pleasant surprise to be sure. But I'm not gonna be "that guy" who will stick with his original theories no matter what. Fact is the kid is starting to become something I would never have imagined. Gotta give him and Hunter props so far at least...