HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part X

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Capitlols

vCash: 500
I'd rather take best player available, regardless of position.

Old
03-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
LOL, and you say this why? Top Defensive player/prospect, and major salary relief. I think Carlson is exactly the type of player San Jose would like.

What basis do you have to make that comment
Because you're asking for Joe Pavelski. Pavelski is worth substantially more than Carlson is. Nor does San Jose have any interest in trading Pavelski.

Additionally, San Jose is loaded with puck moving defensemen. Boyle, Burns, Vlasic, Demers, and Braun. While they could certainly take a look at more long term replacements for Boyle with a higher upside than Demers, they're not going to create a bigger hole by trading Pavelski to do that.

Old
03-07-2012, 06:01 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
George McPhee special.
Um, no. Not accurate.

Name one draft pick in the McPhee tenure that's done so.

Old
03-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Um, no. Not accurate.

Name one draft pick in the McPhee tenure that's done so.
Not literally, but obviously he has shown a propensity to insert young players in big roles(Carlson, Mojo, etc.). Certainly wouldn't hesitate if he felt a guy in this draft was ready.

Old
03-07-2012, 06:16 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
You know..you're probably right here

Lets face it...the hockey gods hate the Caps and enjoy torturing Caps fans.
i say all this to you because the capitals got mike knuble specifically for that play in montreal game 7 where the league hosed the caps again. why would getting pronger be any difference?

Old
03-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Roughing

Quote:
I'd rather take best player available, regardless of position.
Yeah, but you can't be afraid to move a player or two so, you know, all those picks actually form a functional team that isn't severely lacking at a position like, for example, Center.

Old
03-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing View Post
Yeah, but you can't be afraid to move a player or two so, you know, all those picks actually form a functional team that isn't severely lacking at a position like, for example, Center.
Yes I understand the need for a center. I just don't have a finite mindset that we need to come out with a center and defensemen as the poster was alluding to.

Old
03-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Yes I understand the need for a center. I just don't have a finite mindset that we need to come out with a center and defensemen as the poster was alluding to.
Have you seen our prospect pool lately?
We have a bunch of forwards who have a good chance at making the NHL, but how many defenseman? Without counting Orlov, none.
I really want one of the top centers, but we don't need to draft 2.

Old
03-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Have you seen our prospect pool lately?
We have a bunch of forwards who have a good chance at making the NHL, but how many defenseman? Without counting Orlov, none.
I really want one of the top centers, but we don't need to draft 2.
Huh? Where did I say draft two centers? I said there's nothing wrong with a best player available approach, which could be any C, W, or D combo. I don't think its imperative to come out with a D, especially with five of our current defensemen being 26 or under. Not to mention the extended learning curve they have.

Old
03-07-2012, 08:06 PM
um

Quote:
Not literally, but obviously he has shown a propensity to insert young players in big roles(Carlson, Mojo, etc.). Certainly wouldn't hesitate if he felt a guy in this draft was ready.
carlson and mojo didnt really have big roles in their first years, they eventually earned it but thats different

Old
03-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
carlson and mojo didnt really have big roles in their first years, they eventually earned it but thats different
Carlson was 2nd in toi in his first playoffs, followed that with a shutdown role in his first full year, along with Alzner being in his first full year.

Mojo had top 6 toi/g last year as a rookie and is the #2C this year.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:10 PM
um

Quote:
Carlson was 2nd in toi in his first playoffs, followed that with a shutdown role in his first full year, along with Alzner being in his first full year.

Mojo had top 6 toi/g last year as a rookie and is the #2C this year.
carlson and mojo earned that, and mojo wasnt our full time 2C until arnott came and perrault was sent down

Old
03-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
carlson and mojo earned that, and mojo wasnt our full time 2C until arnott came and perrault was sent down
OK that's fine, but it doesn't take away the fact that they were young players playing big roles.

Old
03-08-2012, 12:13 AM
um

Quote:
OK that's fine, but it doesn't take away the fact that they were young players playing big roles.
so was ovechkin and backstrom, as long as the player can handle it, age is irrelevant

Old
03-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
so was ovechkin and backstrom, as long as the player can handle it, age is irrelevant
Yeah difference is those two were high draft picks, expected to compete right away(or relatively quickly), and they weren't brought into a team with cup aspirations. The past few years while being serious cup contenders, GMGM has elected to integrate young unproven players, instead of finding veteran players to fill key roles.

Old
03-08-2012, 11:33 AM
MD Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynj View Post
Ovie is still very much a game breaker..his problem is that if he isnt scoring,he doesnt bring much else to the game now that hes so gun shy on hitting. The whole caps team is playing poorly...no crisp passes and questionable decision making. The good news is weve seen that they are able to be a dangerous team with the same exact lineup.
He is? Have you just returned after a two year long world cruise or something?

Old
03-08-2012, 12:25 PM
IafrateOvie34

If we don't get one of those centers, I want a GM to trade for a chance to get Dumba.

Old
03-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Because you're asking for Joe Pavelski. Pavelski is worth substantially more than Carlson is. Nor does San Jose have any interest in trading Pavelski.

Additionally, San Jose is loaded with puck moving defensemen. Boyle, Burns, Vlasic, Demers, and Braun. While they could certainly take a look at more long term replacements for Boyle with a higher upside than Demers, they're not going to create a bigger hole by trading Pavelski to do that.
San Jose has a LOT of money locked up with their forwards, and they have talked about moving Pavelski in the local papers as a way to fix it. They have a LOT of C's on the roster, playing wing (Marleau, Couture, Handzus). They have a lot of C depth, and need to move someone. They want young dmen.

I think they make very good trading partners. Something like Carlson and Eakin for Pavelski + would work really well.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
San Jose has a LOT of money locked up with their forwards, and they have talked about moving Pavelski in the local papers as a way to fix it. They have a LOT of C's on the roster, playing wing (Marleau, Couture, Handzus). They have a lot of C depth, and need to move someone. They want young dmen.

I think they make very good trading partners. Something like Carlson and Eakin for Pavelski + would work really well.
Handzus is 34 and on the downside of his career. He only has one year remaining on his contract.
Moore is 31 and a UFA after this season.

And if they lose a member of their top 6 (which Pavelski is), they really don't have any scoring depth to fill in. Who are they going to plug Pavelski's hole with? TJ Galiardi? Torrey Mitchell? Ben Ferriero?

If they trade Pavelski, they're going to want a roster forward as part of the package coming back. I could see them targeting Chimera + Carlson together, but that's a package worth more than what you're proposing. And they wouldn't be adding to Pavelski to do it.

I think you're undervaluing Pavelski substantially.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:16 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Handzus is 34 and on the downside of his career. He only has one year remaining on his contract.
Moore is 31 and a UFA after this season.

And if they lose a member of their top 6 (which Pavelski is), they really don't have any scoring depth to fill in. Who are they going to plug Pavelski's hole with? TJ Galiardi? Torrey Mitchell?

If they trade Pavelski, they're going to want a roster forward as part of the package coming back. I could see them targeting Chimera + Carlson together, but that's a package worth more than what you're proposing. And they wouldn't be adding to Pavelski to do it.

I think you're undervaluing Pavelski substantially.
I think the idea is that they've got 3 legit top-6 centers outside of Pavelski in Thornton, Marleau and Couture, and that wingers are easier to find than centers. If, for argument's sake, they are trading Pavelski to shift the monetary balance away from their forwards, they'd presumably want only cheap assets back at forward.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
I think the idea is that they've got 3 legit top-6 centers outside of Pavelski in Thornton, Marleau and Couture, and that wingers are easier to find than centers. If, for argument's sake, they are trading Pavelski to shift the monetary balance away from their forwards, they'd presumably want only cheap assets back at forward.
Pavelski to Chimera frees up $2.25 in forward cash. Scoring depth, the bottom six, and team speed are all areas of concern for the Sharks. Chimera fits all of those.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:27 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Pavelski to Chimera frees up $2.25 in forward cash. Scoring depth, the bottom six, and team speed are all areas of concern for the Sharks. Chimera fits all of those.
While that may be true, I have a hard time believing that San Jose would rather have Chimera than Eakin in an off-season trade.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
While that may be true, I have a hard time believing that San Jose would rather have Chimera than Eakin in an off-season trade.
Thornton and Marleau are both 32. Boyle is 35. Murray is 31. I don't think they want to wait on Eakin to develop into a quality top 9 NHL guy. I'd think they'd want someone who can pick it up right away and help them gun for a Cup.

Old
03-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Capitlols

Is anyone opposed to Thornton/Marleau in Semin's salary spot? They seem like more realistic options to be moved than Pavelski/Couture.

Old
03-08-2012, 05:53 PM
um

Quote:
Yeah difference is those two were high draft picks, expected to compete right away(or relatively quickly), and they weren't brought into a team with cup aspirations. The past few years while being serious cup contenders, GMGM has elected to integrate young unproven players, instead of finding veteran players to fill key roles.
there not unproven players though thats why BB and GMGM put them in. vets arent going to win us a cup, good players are

ps. people san jose isnt trading pavelski they love that guy

Closed Thread