HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part X

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2012, 11:23 AM
marcel snapshot

vCash: 500
I think Dale has made it pretty clear that he doesn't mind Hamr and Knuble being pissed off about not playing. The fact that they're pissed doesn't automatically equate to a locker room problem

Old
02-28-2012, 11:27 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
I think Dale has made it pretty clear that he doesn't mind Hamr and Knuble being pissed off about not playing. The fact that they're pissed doesn't automatically equate to a locker room problem
Schultz was pissed off too. Thats fine.

What I think maybe a problem is Hamrliks comments in the media towards Hunter.

Knuble and Schultz basically say "don't know why I am not playing. It sucks. I was given no reason."

Hamrlik on the other hand took a shot at Hunter however mild you may think it was.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Schultz was pissed off too. Thats fine.

What I think maybe a problem is Hamrliks comments in the media towards Hunter.

Knuble and Schultz basically say "don't know why I am not playing. It sucks. I was given no reason."

Hamrlik on the other hand took a shot at Hunter however mild you may think it was.
Either way I doubt that Hammer can handle heavy minutes alongside Green. He's really competing with Orlov for the #6 spot.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
youre right, it doesnt.

but the situation between hamrlik and hunter isnt good, it's worse than what's been portrayed ( obviously ) in the media.

it's compounded with the fact every time he's scratched, that 3.5 million bucks sitting in the press box.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:48 AM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
it's compounded with the fact every time he's scratched, that 3.5 million bucks sitting in the press box.
The thing about Hamr to me is that he's actually looked OK (i.e., worthy of a No. 5 or 6 D-man) most of the time he's out there -- but when he's bad, he's really fuggin terrible.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:53 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
Either way I doubt that Hammer can handle heavy minutes alongside Green. He's really competing with Orlov for the #6 spot.
Let's say given the odd night off, I think he can handle it, but not for the entire season. No need with all the kids around. He isn't going to be a PP guy, not that we get PP's worth nothing, but we do have the PKers in Alzner and Sarge. That could or should help keep his minutes reasonable. But its a non issue right now. That's right, make no mistake, Sarge and Green are back!

Green has been rebuilt, Sarge has been reprogrammed.

A game or two ago, I even saw Sarge fly over and battle for the puck near Green in the RW corner. Camping in front watching Green double teamed may be a thing of the past. Green said he feels better than he expected. Our team changed a lot in the past two weeks from those two exiting the laboratory.

I don't know who mandated Sarge go back to school, Dale or maybe the system itself did. But I think its JJ that is going to be getting some praise about his rapid turn around.

Sarge is a new player. This is huge folks, you wanted a new 1LD, and you just acquired him. He actually looks confident, assertive, hustling and aggressive for the first time EVER. I sure wish we had this Sarge in playoffs past instead of uncharacteristically and instantly divulging his said injuries and seating him for the duration. Whoever was in charge of his development previously, fumbled the puck.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:57 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Let's say given the odd night off, I think he can handle it, but not for the entire season. No need with all the kids around. He isn't going to be a PP guy, not that we get PP's worth nothing, but we do have the PKers in Alzner and Sarge. That could or should help keep his minutes reasonable. But its a non issue right now. That's right, make no mistake, Sarge and Green are back!

Green has been rebuilt, Sarge has been reprogrammed.

A game or two ago, I even saw Sarge fly over and battle for the puck near Green in the RW corner. Camping in front watching Green double teamed may be a thing of the past. Green said he feels better than he expected. Our team changed a lot in the past two weeks from those two exiting the laboratory.

I don't know who mandated Sarge go back to school, maybe the system itself did. But I think its JJ that is going to be getting some praise about his rapid turn around.

Sarge is a new player. This is huge folks, you wanted a new 1LD, and you just acquired him. He actually looks confident, assertive, hustling and aggressive for the first time EVER. I sure wish we had this Sarge in playoffs past instead of uncharacteristically and instantly divulging his said injuries and seating him for the duration. Whoever was in charge of his development fumbled the ball previously.
I agree 100%. VERY impressed with Schultz. Hitting, cross checking, and displaying some emotion. He's been solid solid solid.

And Green looks good to go. He is an impact player and I can't believe some want him gone.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:57 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Bingo. It would have been a PR nightmare to sell off -even though it was the right thing to do. Over the backdrop of rising ticket prices, ownership would have looked terrible.

It was a business decision, not a hockey decision. Thankfully, beyond what we likely would have gotten for Wideman, I don't think it will hurt us that bad. Frankly, it might force Ted/George to make a splashy free agent signing. If they choose wisely, that could work out nicely.
Well I was kind of hoping they'd do the right thing by hockey and PR. Sell the valuables now (ex-Semin)... look bad. Likely still reach playoffs in 8th. Make playoff money. Blame injuries. Start next season on high note with draft picks, then sign splash UFA Suter.

Dare to dream.... dare to dream!

Old
02-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
I agree 100%. VERY impressed with Schultz. Hitting, cross checking, and displaying some emotion. He's been solid solid solid.

And Green looks good to go. He is an impact player and I can't believe some want him gone.
The team would be better off being strong up the middle and to young on D. Without Green our D is still a lot better then we are up the middle now. And Green is yet to show he can hold up.

You guys love the shine of a new car. And forget to take under the hood. Not only does Green get hurt a lot. His game droppes way off when he is banged up. Not a good combo.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Well I was kind of hoping they'd do the right thing by hockey and PR. Sell the valuables now (ex-Semin)... look bad. Likely still reach playoffs in 8th. Make playoff money. Blame injuries. Start next season on high note with draft picks, then sign splash UFA Suter.
You really think they deal away Wideman, Hamrlik, Vokoun, and Knuble and still are likely to grab the 8th seed?

Without dealing away any of those guys I don't like their chances of getting into the playoffs...

Old
02-28-2012, 12:36 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
The team would be better off being strong up the middle and to young on D. Without Green our D is still a lot better then we are up the middle now. And Green is yet to show he can hold up.

You guys love the shine of a new car. And forget to take under the hood. Not only does Green get hurt a lot. His game droppes way off when he is banged up. Not a good combo.
Green has had a couple years of bad luck injuries. Before that he was pretty durable.

I agree on the center situation but really our D is MUCH better with Green. There are very few defenders who carry his skillset and impact on a game. He is also very underrated as far as his physical play goes.

Dont be so quick to run him out of town like we did with Larry Murphy. Green is a better version of him who actually hits too.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:37 PM
HeyMattyB
Caps Fan in Philly

Quote:
Sarge is a new player. This is huge folks, you wanted a new 1LD, and you just acquired him. He actually looks confident, assertive, hustling and aggressive for the first time EVER.
Is this something people in general seem to agree with? (I've missed most of the last half dozen games or so, and didn't notice Schultz at all during the couple of games I did get to watch.) If Schultz really is effectively using his size and playing with confidence, that could definitely be a huge deal.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:06 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Matty B View Post
Is this something people in general seem to agree with? (I've missed most of the last half dozen games or so, and didn't notice Schultz at all during the couple of games I did get to watch.) If Schultz really is effectively using his size and playing with confidence, that could definitely be a huge deal.

His TOI has been bumped up that past 6 games, IIRC, so you missed his big debut. I have seen him out late in games protecting a lead lately, not 2 weeks ago though.

George agrees with me, and I hope others here do. George said just yesterday that he thinks this recent stretch from Sarge is the best he has ever looked in his career.

Locker the other day said he loved seeing Sarge taking a cross checking penalty. I agreed. He is hustling all over the place. It's not perfect yet but he is not waiting for the play to come to him, he is challenging opponents like never before.

I think some here may be allergic to crow pudding and won't say he looks good because two weeks ago wanted him moved for a 3rd, anything. It is early in his debut as an aggressive man LD and it may not work out. But I don't mind mistakes when I see guys giving their all.

Sarge since his Feb 1st debut: 12GP 1G +2 and a telling 2 PIMS. Telling because it was a †√

Last edited by RandyHolt: 02-28-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old
02-28-2012, 01:11 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
My conspiracy theory:

Ted, knowing the jury is out on George, let him know he should not sell futures seeing as how this is probably not their year.

He tells George he can, however, sell some assets as it is a sellers market.

Naturally George figures his job is on the line and that draft picks will do him no good.

He asks for roster players (as reported the return he wanted Hamrlik - young player) and the other team balks. He asks for the moon in order to try to make a "hockey deal" so they can better be prepared to "win now"

No team takes the bait.

George doesn't want draft picks as in his mind those will just diminish the teams depth and thus lower the chances of making/succeeding in the playoffs.

This would go along to what I had forseen prior to this day. To me its clear that George's job is in danger and he knows it. To me Ted told him there will be no "save your bacon/desperation trades" in the cards this year (trading young assets for high cap hit vets)

It would have clearly been wiser to get rid of guys like Hamrlik and Knuble at the very least. But to George that would hurt his chances of retaining his job since that relies on the success on ice the remainder of the year and having depth can only help that.
We can only hope he is finally getting the boot.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Green has had a couple years of bad luck injuries. Before that he was pretty durable.

I agree on the center situation but really our D is MUCH better with Green. There are very few defenders who carry his skillset and impact on a game. He is also very underrated as far as his physical play goes.

Dont be so quick to run him out of town like we did with Larry Murphy. Green is a better version of him who actually hits too.
If not Green who would you trade? You have to give to get. So you can keep 55 and Hammer off the list.

It could of all been bad luck with Green. But with the chance that it is not. And looking at the return he would bring. I would pick Green to go.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:16 PM
HeyMattyB
Caps Fan in Philly

I will happily take a healthy Green and Schultz 2.0 as the team's new top defensive pairing, if that's the case. Especially if it bumps Wideman down to the third pairing (where he won't be such a defensive liability) and Hamrlik in the press box (until he can get his game back—or at least at the level where he's outplaying someone else on the blue line).

Old
02-28-2012, 01:18 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
If not Green who would you trade? You have to give to get. So you can keep 55 and Hammer off the list.

It could of all been bad luck with Green. But with the chance that it is not. And looking at the return he would bring. I would pick Green to go.
OK I'm confused. You mean this year or this summer? This past deadline I would have traded Hamrlik/Wideman.

Over the offseason I could easily see us trading Hamrlik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
We can only hope he is finally getting the boot.
Not so fast my friend. I'm not on the fire mcphee wagon like i used to be and I hope we make the playoffs and do some damage and he gets some vindication.

I have hope that he is learning what it takes over time.

I'm not gonna be ticked if he is gone but I wont be celebrating either.

Would I have done things differently at the deadline? Yeah probably. But as it stands now i think we have a shot to do some damage.

It comes down to the players playing better especially the stars. So basically, now that the deadline didn't go the way I wanted, I will be rooting for GMGM and the Caps and hope we don't have to clean house this summer.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:46 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
I will happily take a healthy Green and Schultz 2.0 as the team's new top defensive pairing, if that's the case. Especially if it bumps Wideman down to the third pairing (where he won't be such a defensive liability) and Hamrlik in the press box (until he can get his game back—or at least at the level where he's outplaying someone else on the blue line).
Since Hamr has been eating hot dogs and popcorn the last three games - Wideman has been on ice for the following while on the third pairing mostly with Orlov.........

Ottawa: 3 ES GA
Montreal: 1 ES GA
Toronto: 2 ES GA

The total goals scored by the opposition: 8 (including one PP I believe).

He's dragging Orlov down with him. One of those goals Wideman was a pylon.

Edited to add: the opposition hasn't exactly been powerhouses of late. I think it's worth noting.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:53 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
You really think they deal away Wideman, Hamrlik, Vokoun, and Knuble and still are likely to grab the 8th seed?

Without dealing away any of those guys I don't like their chances of getting into the playoffs...
Yes.... well, as likely as they will without them. The other teams are terrible.

edit: Less icetime (Green), benched, split time G, benched...

Old
02-28-2012, 01:53 PM
HeyMattyB
Caps Fan in Philly

Yikes.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:58 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Yikes.
If that's in response to my post.........Wideman was a -3 in Carolina. The last four games he's been -5. He used to be plus player. Again we're not talking powerhouses here.

Old
02-28-2012, 02:12 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Wides may be out of his element of sorts, attempting to compensate for having a young D partner.

Or, he is just being the wideman we all knew he was when we got him.

Green back should minimize the pressure he is under.

Is mentoring his thing? I doubt it. He had been fine with Hammer IIRC.

If it continues, he can have popcorn.

Hammer Orlove

Old
02-28-2012, 03:33 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post

Dare to dream.... dare to dream!
Yeah...

I am basically resigned now to the notion that the Caps ownership/management is what it is -- pretty good at drafting and not making stupid desperation moves, but basically clueless beyond that as far as building a true contender.

And this will continue until/unless Leonsis finally gets tired of waiting and then lucks out into finding an elite GM -- lucks out both because they are hard to find and because I am not confident that Leonsis knows how to evaluate them.

Until then, we'll be making playoffs with variously flawed teams and basically hoping for a Cinderella run. That just seems to be the reality -- and all I can say is, "it could be worse".. and in fact there's plenty of teams where management has been worse. It's still possible that the Caps will win a Cup one of these years if everything falls into place. But those dreams of a dynasty, a perennial top contender, I think that's unrealistic at this point. Some great young players, but the cap/asset management is not good enough.

Old
02-28-2012, 03:44 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

They just want to compete each year. A quick fix for the cup was never in the cards until the won the ping pong ball. But they stuck to the plan.

Ok marketing Plan

I still think building America's Hockey Team is quite the lofty goal too.

Old
02-28-2012, 03:51 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
They just want to compete each year. A quick fix for the cup was never in the cards until the won the ping pong ball. But they stuck to the plan.

Ok marketing Plan

I still think building America's Hockey Team is quite the lofty goal too.
Modify the marketing plan "America's Hockey Team". I like initials and "AHT" doesn't cut it.

America's Ice Hockey Team = AIHT looks better but too much.

Closed Thread