HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part X

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2012, 03:52 PM
artilector

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
They just want to compete each year. A quick fix for the cup was never in the cards until the won the ping pong ball. But they stuck to the plan.

Ok marketing Plan

I still think building America's Hockey Team is quite the lofty goal too.
"Could be worse"

Old
02-28-2012, 04:28 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Yeah...

I am basically resigned now to the notion that the Caps ownership/management is what it is -- pretty good at drafting and not making stupid desperation moves, but basically clueless beyond that as far as building a true contender...... Hshs edit
Entire post very well, um.... Articulated!

Old
02-28-2012, 04:38 PM
aquablue

Ted has to go. It is quite obvious that he is complacent. He doesn't want to take any risks, it is time for a new owner.

Old
02-28-2012, 04:50 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
GMGM being very forth coming about OV and past/present offseason habits on 980 right now. I know its common knowledge that OV hasn't always been keen on offseason workouts, but to hear GMGM talk about it, it seems clear that Olie's Rockstar comments, and GMGM's comments right now, are part of a coordinated effort to get OV's attention. Or at least keep him focused so to speak.

Very surprising, for me at least. Some of you might think its no big deal, but its worth keeping track of heading into the future.

Old
02-28-2012, 05:06 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

vCash: 5585
Thanks for sharing what you heard Hog.

I still laugh when I remember hearing Vogs had to go to Russia to ask Ovi if he was working out. What did Ovi say, as he sat back with that big lump in his shirt, "I am starting tomorrow" I think it was.

Old
02-28-2012, 05:46 PM
tycoonheart

Posted this in the game thread, will post it here too.

Pretty good interview with GMGM on 980. Some nuggets:

- Says even if the team doesn't make playoffs, he won't make big changes. Attributes the decline this year to Nicky and Green injuries

-Ever since Ovi's suspension for Campbell hit, Ovi has played at around 227 lbs. He was at 242lbs that year.

- When asked about Ovi being fully dedicated, GMGM's response was "its better than before". Sounds like he's still not 100% happy about Ovi's off season routine.

- Didn't do anything on trade deadline because there weren't many teams selling. Says since so many teams are still not out of it everyone wanted to buy rather than sell.

- On Nicky, says he has absolutely no clue when Nicky will be ready. If he says he feels good and ready tomorrow, they will go through procedure and if he passes he will start practicing. Sounds like they are leaving it up to Backstrom.

Old
02-28-2012, 05:52 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Posted this in the game thread, will post it here too.
Sounds like they are leaving it up to Backstrom.
Is it just me or is this ridiculous? Don't they have professionals who's job it is to help Backstrom get better? He hasn't skated hardly at all in 2 months. Of course he'll feel kinda off his first time out. How is he the most qualified person to know if that's concussion related or just a heluva lot of rust.

Old
02-28-2012, 05:59 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Link to the GMGM interview on 980:

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_...c=426&f=422291

Old
02-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

vCash: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
- Says even if the team doesn't make playoffs, he won't make big changes. Attributes the decline this year to Nicky and Green injuries.
The contentment of this organization is pathetic.

Old
02-28-2012, 06:39 PM
WcRoenick97

GEEZ, EVERY YEAR IT'S AN EXCUSE WITH THIS GUY! What a coward. I hope he is shown the door after this season. Sorry, we're not a contender without Backstrom. Why NOT trade Hamrlik, Knuble, and Wideman? Oh so you think we could be a contender? Why not try and improve the team? GMGM is a tool

Old
02-28-2012, 06:44 PM
aquablue

He won't improve the team if they fail? No additions, no improvements? MoJO as our 2C? Win a cup with this team even with a healthy Backie? HAHAHAHA, LOL!!!!!!!!!

MCPHAIL strikes again. What a fool! He'll never win squat.

Teddy boy, you've just lost a fan if this continues.

Old
02-28-2012, 06:55 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

Someone said it already, but the flaw with George hording his young guys, grooming them all during their development years, is that he is not going to be able to afford them all if they all develop the way he envisions. He sticks to the draft pipeline for core, and none of them ever really leave.

A guy like Green or Ovi got big contracts before they were able to lead us to a cup. Refusing to ever move a young player for a Pronger type that may get us to a cup, he errs on the side of of his guys being better. He will flat out tell you it is wrong to move a young prospect he likes, no matter the return or its chances to help us to a cup. Somehow he has the formula that his draft picks are the key to the cup. Over time, I think it just shows he is gun shy.

One of these years, I think he will have to move a young prospect we all love to get a more polished vet guy that is ready to lead us to a cup. Versus paying that kid big bucks after a stud year, yet is not ready to lead us to a cup.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 02-28-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old
02-28-2012, 06:56 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Someone said it already, but the flaw with George hording his young guys, grooming them all during their development years, is that he is not going to be able to afford them all if they all develop the way he envisions. He sticks to the draft pipeline for core, and none of them ever really leave.
What if this is the direction Ted has told GMGM to go? Thats the feeling I get. And he is attempting to employ the same philosophy with the Wizards and it isn't really working and won't work in the NBA.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:14 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
If I were Alex, I'd demand a trade. Then again, he might have more of a leg to stand on if he had bothered to show up the past two seasons.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Is it just me or is this ridiculous? Don't they have professionals who's job it is to help Backstrom get better? He hasn't skated hardly at all in 2 months. Of course he'll feel kinda off his first time out. How is he the most qualified person to know if that's concussion related or just a heluva lot of rust.
You've obviously never had a concussion. There's nothing doctor's can do. You just sit around until you feel better, and then you see if you still feel good after working out.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:52 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
You've obviously never had a concussion. There's nothing doctor's can do. You just sit around until you feel better, and then you see if you still feel good after working out.
I never have had a concussion; that's true. But I've watched pro sports a long time now, and while I get that they shouldn't have let so many guys play with concussions, it's worth noting that they could play. All those guys for all those years weren't so sick that they couldn't even skate. Now all the sudden, it's intolerable, and top-conditioned athletes can't do anything but sit in around for months at a time. I can't help but think the truth is somewhere in between.

OT: I just have to ask, how come people don't know the difference between a plural and a possessive? WTF?

Old
02-28-2012, 08:03 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
I never have had a concussion; that's true. But I've watched pro sports a long time now, and while I get that they shouldn't have let so many guys play with concussions, it's worth noting that they could play. All those guys for all those years weren't so sick that they couldn't even skate. Now all the sudden, it's intolerable, and top-conditioned athletes can't do anything but sit in around for months at a time. I can't help but think the truth is somewhere in between.
And that's why, you don't rush guys back.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:08 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
point taken.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:39 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wX_Z9DywuR...on+Coltman.jpg

Old
02-28-2012, 08:58 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
He won't improve the team if they fail? No additions, no improvements? MoJO as our 2C? Win a cup with this team even with a healthy Backie? HAHAHAHA, LOL!!!!!!!!!

MCPHAIL strikes again. What a fool! He'll never win squat.

Teddy boy, you've just lost a fan if this continues.
some fan you are

Old
02-28-2012, 09:04 PM
txpd

Quote:
Someone said it already, but the flaw with George hording his young guys, grooming them all during their development years, is that he is not going to be able to afford them all if they all develop the way he envisions..
except a basic is that they dont ever all develope as expected. who has mcphee hoarded and then lost that became something of value elsewhere?

eminger? no
lepisto? no
fehr? cough
ruth? still waiting
osala? gone
oduya? thats one
varly? jury is out(but he was traded for value)

i would have traded varly and alzner and a first for pronger. now that pronger is done and would be gone from the caps anyway, i am just as happy they kept alzner.

Old
02-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

First off, it's "America's Hockey Capital," not team. Not really important, though. Silly marketing ploy, either way.

I haven't been around, so I bet a bunch of this has been said already and the topic has been beaten into the ground. But I'm going to say it anyway.

I'm more or less okay with McPhee not making additions at the deadline. Only 15 trades even happened, so it's really not that surprising we didn't make a trade. It's not as if Toronto, Florida, Winnipeg, or Ottawa made major additions. Pretty much the only team in the East that added considerably was Boston, and one of their moves was a guy on waivers the day before. It really would have been nice to make a move that keeps Keith Aucoin out of our top 6, though.

I'm more frustrated that McPhee didn't take advantage of the market and move some of the $7M we pay to sit in the press box for a solid return. If we're not going to play Knuble, Hamrlik, or Erskine we shouldn't be keeping them around to eat up that much cap space and money. Hamrlik and Erskine make waaaaay too much to be #7 and #8 on the defensive depth chart, especially when we've made two moves this year to add defensive depth in Hershey. I can tolerate one overpaid defenseman losing his spot to Orlov, but we certainly don't need two (especially when they both have term remaining). Knuble's on an expiring contract and I like the guy, so I can live with him being kept. I get that depth is important, especially in the playoffs (cue Jim Mora), but this is mildly absurd.

What I don't buy is throwing McPhee completely under the bus and continuing to make him the scapegoat for this team's problems. Is he a factor? Yes. Possibly a very large factor. But the problems extend well beyond him and he has, in large part, done a good job assembling a roster that can compete and remain competitive for an extended period of time. We've reached the playoffs twice as often as we've missed it during his tenure. He's done a much better job than many other GMs adapting to the salary cap era.
Especially given the hilarious revisionist history concerning our last scapegoat, Boudreau, it's amusing the kind of hate McPhee takes. Boudreau was a great coach until McPhee forced him to change his style? Why can't it be that McPhee was a great GM until Leonsis/Patrick/the big bad media/Jimmy Hoffa forced him to change the type of team he wanted to build? People's desire to continue demonizing a single individual as the root cause of the teams' issues is hilarious to watch. Who next? Leonsis? Patrick? Ovechkin? Bergenheim?
The players deserve to take more of the blame than they do. And not just certain skapegoat players. But this is a team that was generally praised during the off-season as being well constructed. They have underachieved given each of their resumes. I'm not in the locker room, I don't know what's going on in there. But I'd assume that whatever has festered this season isn't as simple as removing a player or two or bringing in a good veteran presence. It might just take time and a fresh season to fix it.
This team has struggled, but I don't see a reason to blow up the blueprint. Retool and make adjustments in the off-season. One bad year is not a reason to use the nuclear option. There's still a lot of useful players on this team and it has the upside required.

Old
02-29-2012, 08:13 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
some fan you are
Yea, because only "real fans" are satisfied with a mediocre team that has made a statement they will "stay the (mediocre) course". Maybe McPhee does have it right, he's got the fans hook, line and sinker with this garbage to be even remotely defending it.

Old
02-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

vCash: 50
Regardless of those comments I'm pretty sure if he can this time around he will be getting a center this off season. There's no way we risk losing our number 1 center for half the season again.

Old
02-29-2012, 08:28 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
except a basic is that they dont ever all develope as expected. who has mcphee hoarded and then lost that became something of value elsewhere?

eminger? no
lepisto? no
fehr? cough
ruth? still waiting
osala? gone
oduya? thats one
varly? jury is out(but he was traded for value)

i would have traded varly and alzner and a first for pronger. now that pronger is done and would be gone from the caps anyway, i am just as happy they kept alzner.
Exactly, he hasn't given, so he hasn't gotten. Look at the lame duck list. Outside of Varly (jury out), he hasn't moved anyone at high "risk' to blossom into a star. He moved him because he had Holtby ready.

He prefers his younger players in hand, the patience to see where it goes, over a proven vet. He bets his kid will come out better than the vet. It defy's the odds to expect that every time, don't you think?

Is that the key to winning a cup, or more the key to competing year after year. It puts a lot of stock in not missing on draft picks, and them able to contribute significantly at a young age. Something you regularly seem to doubt, including recent comments on Orlov.

I think the plan is clear, which is to compete annually, an eye for the cup is secondary. The cup will simply come as a result of always being competitive.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 02-29-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Closed Thread