HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Suter/Weber Question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2012, 11:03 AM
  #1
last_sd
Registered User
 
last_sd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,688
vCash: 500
Suter/Weber Question

Hello, Red Wings fan coming in peace.

I know there are countless Suter/Weber threads around hfboards but I have a different question than the one discussed in most of those threads.

My question is not weather Preds can keep Suter and Weber (I think they can since the new owner is willing to spend up to cap. - this scares me a bit as a Red Wings fan)
My question is, if you knew one of Suter/Weber will re-sign even if the other one walks, would you still sign both of them.

The point I'm trying to get is, Preds always have been good at developing D. Even now you guys have very good D prospects that can play soon/already playing that will get better.

If you knew you one of them will stay wouldn't you rather spend 7M+ on forwards? (like Parise/other UFA/trade for Nash)

I would think it would be better for Preds to keep Weber and spend 7M+ that would cost to keep Suter in offense.

Let me know what you guys think

last_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:17 AM
  #2
WartracePred
Registered User
 
WartracePred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by last_sd View Post
Hello, Red Wings fan coming in peace.

I know there are countless Suter/Weber threads around hfboards but I have a different question than the one discussed in most of those threads.

My question is not weather Preds can keep Suter and Weber (I think they can since the new owner is willing to spend up to cap. - this scares me a bit as a Red Wings fan)
My question is, if you knew one of Suter/Weber will re-sign even if the other one walks, would you still sign both of them.

The point I'm trying to get is, Preds always have been good at developing D. Even now you guys have very good D prospects that can play soon/already playing that will get better.

If you knew you one of them will stay wouldn't you rather spend 7M+ on forwards? (like Parise/other UFA/trade for Nash)

I would think it would be better for Preds to keep Weber and spend 7M+ that would cost to keep Suter in offense.

Let me know what you guys think
I think most of us think the organization can keep Weber and Suter at around 7M and still add someone like Parise. But if we had to choose, I think Jose can step into Suter's role to some degree. We don't have anyone in the pipeline with Weber's skillset.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:41 AM
  #3
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 44,351
vCash: 500
Agreed with Wartrace. All of the financial scenarios that have been looked at allow the team to sign both of them to somewhere in the $7m-$7.5m area with plenty of room to spare. I don't think you decline to sign one of them if both are willing. The ability to have one of the top goalies in the world combined with what has to be the best defensive pairing in the world AND still add a threat to an already highly improve offense (that is filled with young players who will, theoretically, only get better) just can't be ignored.

But Suter is certainly the one whose skill set can be replaced

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:35 PM
  #4
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Agreed with Wartrace. All of the financial scenarios that have been looked at allow the team to sign both of them to somewhere in the $7m-$7.5m area with plenty of room to spare. I don't think you decline to sign one of them if both are willing. The ability to have one of the top goalies in the world combined with what has to be the best defensive pairing in the world AND still add a threat to an already highly improve offense (that is filled with young players who will, theoretically, only get better) just can't be ignored.

But Suter is certainly the one whose skill set can be replaced
Our biggest advantage is that Weber and Suter are going to want to still play with one another. They won't be able to that with other teams

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:38 PM
  #5
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Our biggest advantage is that Weber and Suter are going to want to still play with one another. They won't be able to that with other teams
my worry is that this isnt the case, at least from Suter's standpoint...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:06 PM
  #6
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,160
vCash: 500
I don't care what we do to be honest. We have shown them we are willing to do what is necessary to win a cup. They stay or they don't. It isn't about money now. It isn't about on-ice product. It now comes down to whether they want to be here or not, which I am ok with. If they do, great, if not, they both have fulfilled their contracts with us and have given us full effort night in and night out and leaving as a UFA is a right that, this year, Suter has earned.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:08 PM
  #7
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I don't care what we do to be honest. We have shown them we are willing to do what is necessary to win a cup. They stay or they don't. It isn't about money now. It isn't about on-ice product. It now comes down to whether they want to be here or not, which I am ok with. If they do, great, if not, they both have fulfilled their contracts with us and have given us full effort night in and night out and leaving as a UFA is a right that, this year, Suter has earned.
100% spot on...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:11 PM
  #8
crossxcheck
Registered User
 
crossxcheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashvegas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,762
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
not a whole lot more to add except I think since Suter will be a UFA and Weber an RFA, that it will be easier to keep Weber. That being said, I think most would like to keep both.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:04 PM
  #9
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I don't care what we do to be honest. We have shown them we are willing to do what is necessary to win a cup. They stay or they don't. It isn't about money now. It isn't about on-ice product. It now comes down to whether they want to be here or not, which I am ok with. If they do, great, if not, they both have fulfilled their contracts with us and have given us full effort night in and night out and leaving as a UFA is a right that, this year, Suter has earned.
this is true, but if he just wants to leave, he shouldnt have openend his mouth with this "I want to be sure we are committed to winning" crap...

he should have just said, "I want to give it my all this season, try to win a Cup with the Preds this season, and when the season is over then I'll figure out whats next"

now if he leaves, it gives the impression that the preds management somehow didnt come through, and I think thats crap....

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:13 PM
  #10
WartracePred
Registered User
 
WartracePred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
this is true, but if he just wants to leave, he shouldnt have openend his mouth with this "I want to be sure we are committed to winning" crap...

he should have just said, "I want to give it my all this season, try to win a Cup with the Preds this season, and when the season is over then I'll figure out whats next"

now if he leaves, it gives the impression that the preds management somehow didnt come through, and I think thats crap....
To be honest, Suter has made a couple of missteps with the media. Of course the media often take a quote or comment out of context after badgering the interviewee. I think the media pressure at the all-star break got the better of him. He should know now that going to a large market team will only make these experiences more common. Stay in Nashville Sutes, and the media will leave you alone. Otherwise, he had better sharpen his media skills.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:36 PM
  #11
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
this is true, but if he just wants to leave, he shouldnt have openend his mouth with this "I want to be sure we are committed to winning" crap...

he should have just said, "I want to give it my all this season, try to win a Cup with the Preds this season, and when the season is over then I'll figure out whats next"

now if he leaves, it gives the impression that the preds management somehow didnt come through, and I think thats crap....
I disagree. If he leaves, it is because he either A-wants to play elsewhere, B-he believes he can win a cup easier somewhere else, or C-money, and by money , an offer of 7.5 plus per year.

It has nothing to do with being committed to winning a cup.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:46 PM
  #12
Insanepredator
Registered User
 
Insanepredator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LaVergne
Country: United States
Posts: 481
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Insanepredator
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I disagree. If he leaves, it is because he either A-wants to play elsewhere, B-he believes he can win a cup easier somewhere else, or C-money, and by money , an offer of 7.5 plus per year.

It has nothing to do with being committed to winning a cup.
I agree but media will paint a picture of front office failure if leaves especially in places interested in getting Weber.

Insanepredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:47 PM
  #13
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I don't care what we do to be honest. We have shown them we are willing to do what is necessary to win a cup.
That is still yet to be seen entirely. Sure, mgmt says they will be 'close to cap team' (whatever that means). But at this point, we have been one of the lowest payroll teams in the league since we've entered the league. Period.

Sure we made moves at the deadline and gave up lots of draft picks, but we still have 0 first line forwards on this team, and all we know is that Poile has "tried" the last couple of years to get one.

I think it will come down to how we do in the playoffs for Suter. If we bow out 1st rd and probably even 2nd, I think he's likely gone. The last saving grace would be if we can somehow acquire Parise's rights and sign the both.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:14 AM
  #14
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
That is still yet to be seen entirely. Sure, mgmt says they will be 'close to cap team' (whatever that means). But at this point, we have been one of the lowest payroll teams in the league since we've entered the league. Period.

Sure we made moves at the deadline and gave up lots of draft picks, but we still have 0 first line forwards on this team, and all we know is that Poile has "tried" the last couple of years to get one.

I think it will come down to how we do in the playoffs for Suter. If we bow out 1st rd and probably even 2nd, I think he's likely gone. The last saving grace would be if we can somehow acquire Parise's rights and sign the both.
disagree on a couple of points here.

1) selling off chunks of your future to go for the cup is a commitment to winning
2) martin erat is a first line forward in this league. and we have the nasty p word, a sin potential, with wilson, sk, and smith. all young, all with room to grow in their games.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:07 PM
  #15
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,595
vCash: 500
^Absolutely agree on Erat. He is without a doubt considered a true first line player in this league (this season).


Showing commitment to winning is just half of the process. We need to show some results in the playoffs to really convince them and others.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.