HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cody Hodgson

Old
02-28-2012, 01:34 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
Really sad to see Hodgy go, he will be a captain sometime in the future, whether it is with Buffalo or not.

Hodgson and Ennis will be an absolutely insane duo. I don't know if Buff will play them together right away, but sooner or later they will play together. Ennis is good little shifty *******, and Hodgson is a decent playmaker and goalscorer. I think Hodgson will project to be the playmaking 25g-50a #1/2 center and Ennis your 35-35 type guy. Hodgson is good right now in a 2nd PP unit, and in 2-3 years, he will be your goto, #1 PP unit guy.

Can't wait to see him thrive in Buffalo. For buffalo fans, don't expect too much this year. This is his first year of actually playing to potential. If he gets 40-50 pts, be happy about it.
Next year, expect him to hit 50-60. Year after that 60-70. And I think he will always be a 60-75pt. player.

I also hope Buffalo can help develop his PK and defensive role. He thrives at being the guy. If he can find a niche as a #1PK, #1PP, key situations guy, you are gonna see a real intangible, stand-up, captain, sort of player.

Can't really think of a comparable. Maybe Pleks?
Bottom Projection: #3 Manny Malholtra type center
Projection:#2 60-75pt, Plekanec type center
Top Projection: #1C Joe Thornton type center

It's like getting a text message from a hot girlfriend that it's over. hurts.
I agree with your comparison, and i think its being generous. I dont think Nucks fans realize how good their team is outside of Hodgson. Doubt his production takes off in Buffalo when forced to play against the top pairing and isnt being sheltered and only played against bottom pairing Dman. I mean Canucks have the best team to match up lines with the opponent. Great depth and variety of players. Kassian gives the nucks serious edge now.

Now who would you rather Lucic or Plekanec

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:35 PM
topched88

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejickler View Post
Kadri has played 49 games and he's 21 years old... yet he's already worthless?
Dont mind some of us nuck fans...these kadri haters are the same guys that will tell you schreoder will be a 70 point guy one day.

topched88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Evil Edler
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Just a funny question...

If Vancouver had the opportunity to get Coho back for Schneider now, would you do it?
not a chance.

Evil Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:37 PM
medhatcanuck

Quote:
He's not worthless. People in this thread are saying he is not worth to trade for Hodgson. I think we can agree on that. He is a good young player, with unknown potential. But, as of right now it wouldn't be worth trading him for Hodgson.

As for the people saying he is not a good asset, they mean in terms of a Hodgson trade. Of course Kadri is a good asset.

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:40 PM
medhatcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I agree with your comparison, and i think its being generous. I dont think Nucks fans realize how good their team is outside of Hodgson. Doubt his production takes off in Buffalo when forced to play against the top pairing and isnt being sheltered and only played against bottom pairing Dman. I mean Canucks have the best team to match up lines with the opponent. Great depth and variety of players. Kassian gives the nucks serious edge now.

Now who would you rather Lucic or Plekanec
I agree with you for the most part. Hodgson was playing with Raymond, Higgins, and Hansen for the most part, so he didn't have offensive wingers. But, I do agree his offence won't take off in Buffalo. I think he will maintain or trail of a little bit.

Yeah of course I like Kassian, but it is to be seen whether or not he was worth Hodgson.

Good insight on your part.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Spamhuis

Quote:
not worthless but not worth cody

Spamhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:47 PM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Giroux View Post
Joking? Kadri is not an attractive asset at all
He should be. His problem is his head, from the sounds of it. His vision, playmaking, and dangling skill is elite. He's a good height and he's gritty, but he's a bit slender. If he packs on muscle to get to 200 lean, he'll have the physical requirements checked off. He got by on skill and floating in junior, but now he's actually learning the finer points of the game. He's genuinely trying to become mature, and slowly coming around. If its just a maturity issue, he can, quite realistcally, become a great player, and all teams want that.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 01:51 PM
HiddenInLight

I'd give you Zack Kassian Straight up.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:00 PM
GoTeamDom

I think the comparison is potential Scott Hartnell for potential Chris Drury. Is that fair?

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Dabs21Nike

I think Hodgson's mumbers will improve purely based on playing with more talented wingers. He's going from Raymond, Higgins, and Hanson to Vanek, Pominville, and Leino.

I also don't buy the 3rd pairing defense partners arguments. Obviously he did see a lot of them, but it doesn't work out so that's all he played against. He obviously saw some time against other teams top pairings and lines. No one can line match up that well. I think he'll be fine.

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:04 PM
medhatcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post
I think the comparison is potential Scott Hartnell for potential Chris Drury. Is that fair?
I can't answer for Kassian. But Hodgson-Drury is very good. Wow never thought of that. Definately take my Pleks comparability back, Drury is better comparision.

Old
02-28-2012, 02:10 PM
HiddenInLight

Honestly, when watching Hodgson's highlight reels, I see a young Chris Drury. If you were to take #23 away from Leino and give it to Hodgson, It would be very hard to tell the difference in play style. Especially in a few years. The guy seems to be able to see the whole rink at once, and put himself in the best possible position.

Old
02-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I'd give you Zack Kassian Straight up.
The funny thing is we all would have got a good laugh out of this yesterday morning... Damn.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Honestly, when watching Hodgson's highlight reels, I see a young Chris Drury. If you were to take #23 away from Leino and give it to Hodgson, It would be very hard to tell the difference in play style. Especially in a few years. The guy seems to be able to see the whole rink at once, and put himself in the best possible position.
Many, many people have made this exact comparison. Others have used Trevor Linden.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:13 PM
blueschooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I thought Kassian + Myers for Hodgson + Sulzer would have been fair. I'm shocked they only got Gragnani instead.
This. When I heard that Hodgson was going to Buffalo, I was thinking, "how the hell would we get them to trade Myers". But I was mistaken, not sure how I feel about the trade, but I think Gillis really saw something in Kassian or Hodgson wanted out.

blueschooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:15 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Many, many people have made this exact comparison. Others have used Trevor Linden.
That's why I'm so excited about this deal. If that comparison is apt, I think CoHo turns into Clutch Jr

Old
02-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
He should be. His problem is his head, from the sounds of it. His vision, playmaking, and dangling skill is elite. He's a good height and he's gritty, but he's a bit slender. If he packs on muscle to get to 200 lean, he'll have the physical requirements checked off. He got by on skill and floating in junior, but now he's actually learning the finer points of the game. He's genuinely trying to become mature, and slowly coming around. If its just a maturity issue, he can, quite realistcally, become a great player, and all teams want that.
You just described Gretzky not flipping Kadri

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:22 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
What I don't get is this:

When Lucic "accidently" bumped Ryan Miller, the hue and cry came on that the Sabres had no grit, no push-back in their game

then they turn around and trade the two guys who are arguably the two toughest guys on the team....head scratcher for sure

Cody Hodgson is a guy who has had a running battle with Van management, his days were numbered there. I like Kassian but
I'm not sure he'll be able to skate against the leagues elite teams once you get into the playoff grind
Just a FYI for you....,

Gaustad was on the ice when Lucic ran Miller over and he did nothing. Personally, I would have made an example of Gaustad that week and traded him, thus ensuring Ruff kept his locker room, not loosing it like he did for several months. Gaustad can play a little physical bc he's 6'5" but he's not really all that physical. Plus, he has stone hands when it comes to offense.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Spice Trader

I have liked most of GMMG moves. The ballard deal everyone gets a mulligan cause we didnt have hamhuis yet. The sturm signing he got out of well.

This trade was RETARDED for 2 reasons. one you dont trade a potential CENTER calder candidate that has been a stud a leader and a WINNER at every level for a Potential power forward when your in WIN NOW mode. honestly you expect a 21 year old kid to out MUSCLE men? no you have kids with skill and talent that make plays not intimidate men. Then when they mature they can add the grit to their game.

Hodgson >>>>>>>> kassian this year 100 %. how many Big games this year did cody step up and provide that lift when the top two lines got shut down.

Spice Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
I think what people are questioning is why Gillis traded Hodgson for Kassian. Why not just move Hodgson to the wing with Kesler and have Pahlsson play the 3rd line center still.
Hodgson at center >> Hodgson on the wing

Given how everything went down yesterday, Gillis' comments a month or so ago about wanting to "bring more balance" to the lineup was directly aimed at Hodgson. I truly believe that the Canucks were set on dealing Hodgson for a while now (obviously easier with hindsight, but there had been rumblings).

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Trader View Post
I have liked most of GMMG moves. The ballard deal everyone gets a mulligan cause we didnt have hamhuis yet. The sturm signing he got out of well.

This trade was RETARDED for 2 reasons. one you dont trade a potential CENTER calder candidate that has been a stud a leader and a WINNER at every level for a Potential power forward when your in WIN NOW mode.
The winner at every level argument is a bit silly, but since you brought it up - Kassian has won the Memorial Cup, Hodgson didn't. Hodgson won a Junior gold medal, Kassian didn't, but came within an OT goal from doing so. So toss that argument out the window.

And you're right, centers are generally more valuable than wingers...in a vacuum. When said center is behind the Hart winner of two years ago and the Selke winner of last year, things aren't so cut and dry.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:16 PM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
You just described Gretzky not flipping Kadri
No, I didn't.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Campoli2Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
My panties were never in a twist to begin with. Over and over again I continue reading the same ignorant comments. I come in here to comment on a deal that has nothing to do with my team yet, once again, it somehow turns into a Leafs bashing thread. The irony is Hodgson and Kadri have taken similar paths and share a similar type of story and not long IIRC Canucks fans were down on the guy or am I wrong?
Yes Kadri and Hodgson have both taken similar paths. What I was trying to say is that Leafs fans' somewhat unrealistic expectation that he would be an impact player on the big club leads to the notion that he hasn't lived up to expectations. I expect he will make the big club next season and perform admirably. That said, there's still no way Gillis would have traded Hodgson for a similar player who's further behind in his development, regardless of how high that 2nd round pick is. I hope that makes sense to you.

If you don't want to see people 'bashing' the Leafs then you can't post on these boards. The large nature of the fanbase will lead to an increased number of poorly thought out posts, which other members will respond to. As a Canucks fan I can sympathize with you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I agree..and i'm a Leaf fan. Being a Leaf fan i would however offer any prospect not named Gardiner and our 2012 1st. Hodgson would fit in to the biggest hole on the Leafs being a center.
You wouldn't have traded your 2012 1st for Hodgson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I would just take it with a grain of salt. We are the heart of hockey and it creates jealousy (sub-consciously). Aswell the people trolling are looking for your reaction. Keep in mind these people do not follow the leafs nor any other team for that matter. Whatever touches their team and nothing else compares (hence the over kill of whining and sobbing Canucks fans yesterday). Half the fan base doesn't even realize they will end up winning the deal. Hodgson is a good player when playing against third pAiring D on a team that can match up their players better then any other team. Top line c on buffalo? Cmon are you kidding me? He's going to get gobbled up. Kassian will end up being their playoff hero. ONLY if Vancouver embraces him rather then expect him to fill hodgsons shoes.
This is what scares me. If our fans/media expect Kassian to come in and play better than Cody right away then it's setting expectations WAY too high. I wish we had the type of media that just let our prospects develop at their own pace.

Quote:
Kadri's not worthless. He's just a similar player to Cody but behind in development. There would be no impetus to make that trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post
Agreed on both. Especially Drury and Hodgson. I just hope you can find a defensively minded top 6 center to matchup against other top lines, as Cody is nowhere near ready for that.

Campoli2Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:46 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Trader View Post

This trade was RETARDED for 2 reasons. one you dont trade a potential CENTER calder candidate that has been a stud a leader and a WINNER at every level for a Potential power forward when your in WIN NOW mode. honestly you expect a 21 year old kid to out MUSCLE men? no you have kids with skill and talent that make plays not intimidate men. Then when they mature they can add the grit to their game.

Hodgson >>>>>>>> kassian this year 100 %. how many Big games this year did cody step up and provide that lift when the top two lines got shut down.
It's not Hodgson >>>>>>>> Kassian, come on. Kassian fills a need for Vancouver, Hodgson days were numbered, even though we didn't like to admit it. How many players are available like a Kassian? a young bull with top 6 winger potential and these players cost to get. It's a good trade for both teams. Dave Gagner was a driving force for this trade to happen and he has a good eye on young players like Tanev. Both teams got what they need and it didn't cost ether team the future, Sabres got a young top 6 centre, Canucks got a young top 6 power forward winger, we've been wanting a big gritty, tough player who can win fights and is skilled... well Gillis got him, Hodgson was expendable to this team and given that he may of asked for the trade and all the drama he seems to have with the Canucks like the back injury, wanting a trade, *****ing about ice time, having issues with the coach ect it might of been best for both sides to move on.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:50 PM
KISSland

When I heard of the deal, and TSN mentioned the deal wasn't done and the Canucks have also gotten a puck moving defenceman I honestly thought of Leopold. I thought Hodgson, Sulzer/Alberts for Kassian, Leopold would've been ideal, but then again I'm a homer, and loved Hodgson for all the goals he scored when the chips were down.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote