HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cody Hodgson

Old
02-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I almost wish I could go back in time and make this thread just to see the responses:

Title: Proposal: Buf and Van

To Buffalo - Hodgson

To Vancouver - Kassian
And the reaction from many Canuck fans on here would have been "no ****ing way." Why? Because they would have had little to no idea who Kassian was, as evidenced by the hoards of naysayers who are now "okay with the deal after seeing him play."

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

The sky is the limit for Hodgson. Seriously. I see many people saying he'll be a 65-70 pts. center, or he may not surpass 50 pts, then I see a couple of people predicting a PPG or higher.

Lets look at the facts: Hodgson has an extremely talented pedigree. He won CHL player of the year behind some pretty prominant names, WJC gold while leading the tournament in scoring, and has been the captain of his junior team for years. Then you look at what he's done this season: 45 pts pace while playing 12mins/night with Hansen and Raymond on his wings. With more ice time, and better wingers, Hodgson is poised to break out.

Hodgson isn't a player who relies on speed. He relies on a good accurate heavy shot, good hands, a soft pass, and extremely high hockey IQ. That is a very dangerous combination, if you think he tops out at a 65 pts center with that resume you're kidding yourself.

I don't know how well Hodgson will do, I do know for most players who exhibit his level of intelligence it's very difficult to put a cap on it. Just my two cents...

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkle is Einhorn View Post
And the reaction from many Canuck fans on here would have been "no ****ing way." Why? Because they would have had little to no idea who Kassian was, as evidenced by the hoards of naysayers who are now "okay with the deal after seeing him play."
I think many of us did. I wanted him big time in '09 (although I wanted Ellis more). But even still, we would have laughed at this. Even Buffalo fans would agree that they would have had to add. I still think Hodgson for Kassian, NSH 1st would have been a more level deal.

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I think many of us did. I wanted him big time in '09 (although I wanted Ellis more). But even still, we would have laughed at this. Even Buffalo fans would agree that they would have had to add. I still think Hodgson for Kassian, NSH 1st would have been a more level deal.
Maybe half of the fans on this board knew Kassian's game with anything more than a passing familiarity. Extend it beyond a forum dedicated to prospects, and maybe 2% of the fanbase knew who Kassian was, as evidenced by radio call-in shows. Unfortunately, it's the latter group that drives the media cycle.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
The sky is the limit for Hodgson. Seriously. I see many people saying he'll be a 65-70 pts. center, or he may not surpass 50 pts, then I see a couple of people predicting a PPG or higher.

Lets look at the facts: Hodgson has an extremely talented pedigree. He won CHL player of the year behind some pretty prominant names, WJC gold while leading the tournament in scoring, and has been the captain of his junior team for years. Then you look at what he's done this season: 45 pts pace while playing 12mins/night with Hansen and Raymond on his wings. With more ice time, and better wingers, Hodgson is poised to break out.

Hodgson isn't a player who relies on speed. He relies on a good accurate heavy shot, good hands, a soft pass, and extremely high hockey IQ. That is a very dangerous combination, if you think he tops out at a 65 pts center with that resume you're kidding yourself.

I don't know how well Hodgson will do, I do know for most players who exhibit his level of intelligence it's very difficult to put a cap on it. Just my two cents...

I hope your right!

Do you think Hodgson can still become a good skater? Buffalos Luke Adam went from a below average skater to a much quicker player working with that lady who helped Tavares, if Cody can become alittle quicker he can be a highend player. And is he actually 6 feet tall because he doesnt look it

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:04 PM
quat
winsome, loathsome

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Giroux View Post
I hope your right!

Do you think Hodgson can still become a good skater? Buffalos Luke Adam went from a below average skater to a much quicker player working with that lady who helped Tavares, if Cody can become alittle quicker he can be a highend player. And is he actually 6 feet tall because he doesnt look it
The Hodgson being slow is a bit overdone to be honest. He just lacks speed off the line ... if he's moving he gets around very well. Excellent balance with a low center of gravity.

I see people comparing him to Drury, but I see him more in the Savard mold. Savard was never a quick skater, but he moved the puck quickly and read the ice well enough to find the gaps.

I think next year people will stop focusing so much on the skating issue as his conditioning improves with age. The loss of a year of training still shows in Cody's game, but should be gone by the beginning of next season.

What lacks is his NHL defensive game (positioning mostly), and he's got enough smarts to figure that out quickly. Already he's much better on faceoffs, and his defensive game was improving.

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:21 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Giroux View Post
I hope your right!

Hodgson improved his foot speed a lot from the year before. Realistically, his health issues have held him back and were probably a big reason why last season he looked slower. He works as hard as any young player out there. I have no doubt that he will at least be an average skater which when combined with his hockey smarts should make him a real good player. Right now, I agree his biggest weakness is not his skating but his defensive positioning and strength on defence. Given his progress to date, I'm confident that will improve as well.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:29 PM
0123456789*

Hodgson will be a very good player but where he will most excel is the pp.
With his skating (which isnt horrible by any standards) he will be a very good player 5 on 5, but imo will need capable line mates to take his game to another level(+ppg). With his hockey iq and shot he will score and set up piles of goals. That is why looking at him I say he will have atleast one 40 goal season in his prime and he will be over a point per game player. In his prime a season of 40-50 is realistic with a good chunck of that production being on the pp where he will be a force. Think Henrik Sedin with a lethal shot and a bit more tenacity.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frkinator View Post
Hodgson will be a very good player but where he will most excel is the pp.
With his skating (which isnt horrible by any standards) he will be a very good player 5 on 5, but imo will need capable line mates to take his game to another level(+ppg). With his hockey iq and shot he will score and set up piles of goals. That is why looking at him I say he will have atleast one 40 goal season in his prime and he will be over a point per game player. In his prime a season of 40-50 is realistic with a good chunck of that production being on the pp where he will be a force. Think Henrik Sedin with a lethal shot and a bit more tenacity.
So a Hart trophy winner, only better. Gotcha.

Old
02-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
So a Hart trophy winner, only better. Gotcha.
We can only hope.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:54 PM
skg

Hodgson issue isn't his lack of speed but his lack of quickness and acceleration that needs work. I believe a lot of it has to do with technique. He has these short, choppy strides that don't generate a lot of power when he starts from a full stop. Once he gets to top speed, he's fine. This is something that can be worked on and I have no doubt if he's taught properly, it won't be a problem in the future.

skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I almost wish I could go back in time and make this thread just to see the responses:

Title: Proposal: Buf and Van

To Buffalo - Hodgson

To Vancouver - Kassian
I'm pretty sure I proposed it last season. I'm not sure how to look, it probably wasn't a thread all its own.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:44 PM
the word*

Hate to say it but I think Vancouver won this deal. Hodgson is overrated, his upside is probably less than Ganger's and I would have seriously considered moving Ganger for Kassian.

Hodgson's upside is a decent two-way second line center. Everyone hates the Canucks and wants to see them get bent over, I know, but they just pulled off at worst a lateral move that filled a glaring hole for the short term and long term.

Dammit.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:51 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 400
Quote:
Maybe half of the fans on this board knew Kassian's game with anything more than a passing familiarity. Extend it beyond a forum dedicated to prospects, and maybe 2% of the fanbase knew who Kassian was, as evidenced by radio call-in shows. Unfortunately, it's the latter group that drives the media cycle.
Wow, You don't know the guys in my keeper league. It's been going on since 1980. Kassian was a 6th overall pick in our amateur draft.

Try real hockey fans, and they know.

Hodgson wasn't picked till the next years amateur draft.

I think it was a good trade for both teams and players. Now, the boys have to prove their worth!

Last edited by aqsw: 02-29-2012 at 07:02 PM.
aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:33 PM
JAK

I wonder if the Canucks can put together a package for Hodgson in the off season.

Now that would be interesting.

JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
Hate to say it but I think Vancouver won this deal. Hodgson is overrated, his upside is probably less than Ganger's and I would have seriously considered moving Ganger for Kassian.

Hodgson's upside is a decent two-way second line center. Everyone hates the Canucks and wants to see them get bent over, I know, but they just pulled off at worst a lateral move that filled a glaring hole for the short term and long term.

Dammit.
Hodgsons' upside is a 40 goal scorer. Gagner could only dream of shooting the puck like Hodgson.

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Guardian452

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Hodgsons' upside is a 40 goal scorer. Gagner could only dream of shooting the puck like Hodgson.
Hodgson was never expected to be a 40-goal scorer. The scouting report on him was always a 2nd line center who could possibly be a #1 center.

Guardian452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:51 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post

Dammit.
Hodgson has more upside than that, he can be a top line centre in this league, he's on pace for 20+ goals and 40+ pts in his 1st NHL season playing 12 mins a game. Hodgson >>> Gagner. I don't think either team won this deal it helps out both teams, win win. Now I can understand why you won't like having Kassian here with all the Burtuzzi comparisons and Kassians history of being mean and nasty, your young star players better keep their heads up as Don Cherry would say

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian452 View Post
Hodgson was never expected to be a 40-goal scorer. The scouting report on him was always a 2nd line center who could possibly be a #1 center.
I dont care what the scouting report says, he has a wicked shot and a nose for the net. Kesler's scouting report was 3rd line grinder for life.

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Nuck This

I honestly think Kassian is going to become and absolute beast at both ends of the rink. He's a better skater than Hodgson and he's four inches bigger and 50 lbs heavier. I'm also extremely impressed with his hands and passing ability. He's going to create a ton of room with whoever he plays with. The Canucks have a lot to work with. With how they've been developing players I have no doubt Kassian will become a game changer.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
I dont care what the scouting report says, he has a wicked shot and a nose for the net. Kesler's scouting report was 3rd line grinder for life.
I see Hodgson as a 60 point 30 goal 30 assist player.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:27 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by skg View Post
Hodgson issue isn't his lack of speed but his lack of quickness and acceleration that needs work. I believe a lot of it has to do with technique. He has these short, choppy strides that don't generate a lot of power when he starts from a full stop. Once he gets to top speed, he's fine. This is something that can be worked on and I have no doubt if he's taught properly, it won't be a problem in the future.
So the local arena's Learn To Skate program?

omglolnub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
They did add. Don't write off Gragnani as nothing because a bunch of homer Sabre fans have been slagging him, still just 24 and could excell in Van.

Having said that, deal still would have been scoffed at, for the reasons he said. The reaction to that deal really left me with the belief that very few around here know what the **** they're talking about.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:11 AM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
They did add. Don't write off Gragnani as nothing because a bunch of homer Sabre fans have been slagging him, still just 24 and could excell in Van.
To be fair, they're the ones who have been watching him crap the bed all year. I think you're right - he could excel in Vancouver under the Ministry of Accountability and with his already developed offensive game. I know about the +/-. but it sounds like he played sheltered minutes. I haven't read too many posts from Buffalo fans saying he hasn't sucked.

Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:25 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
I see Hodgson as a 60 point 30 goal 30 assist player.
Pretty much this. He'll be a very good second line center. I'd put him on the same level as B.Schenn. Both guys have first line potential but that's in the absolute best case scenario although I guess you could say that about any prospect.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote