HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you still want Capuano back?

View Poll Results: Do you want Jack back for the 2012-13 season
Yes, he deserves to finish out his contract 16 11.35%
Absolutely Not 99 70.21%
Yes, but only if the other option is Doug Weight 26 18.44%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-29-2012, 12:32 AM
Gillies Mustache

vCash: 500
I hope I wake up to hear this doofus has been canned. I won't though.

Gillies Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:48 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

8 people voted before the end of tonight's game.

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:42 AM
wingnutks

I really have no clue how that man can keep so calm after a game like last nights. I wanted to punch a puppy and I only have 3 hours devoted to this team 2-3 times a week. His whole life is this team and after a loss last night like that all he can say is, "well they are a good team, but no excuse why we lost". Actually they are not a good team *******! They are at the bottom of the barrel just like your team.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:44 AM
Original Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Guarantee you this group could have gotten at least an 8 seed in the playoffs with an experienced, hard nosed coach this season.

I've been saying it to my Islander friends and family all season long, Capuano is the biggest problem here.
Cappy's a problem for sure, but he ain't the biggest problem.

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:56 AM
twentytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Rob View Post
Cappy's a problem for sure, but he ain't the biggest problem.
That's why I voted Yes.

The biggest problem is how the team is currently constructed. Still short a top 2 defenseman and a top 6 forward. Just give him ONE of those (without a doubt need both) and then re-evaluate.

twentytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:13 AM
glubrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentytwo View Post
That's why I voted Yes.

The biggest problem is how the team is currently constructed. Still short a top 2 defenseman and a top 6 forward. Just give him ONE of those (without a doubt need both) and then re-evaluate.
Well Capuano is probably the biggest problem on this team.

I mean, look at him.

glubrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:34 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

I have no problems firing Cappy but the problem is 1) who is going to sign on to coach this team? I mean who really would want this job? I would love to coach a high school team let alone an NHL team and I would have to think about it. HAHA I've never seen a job where as soon as your hired your a "lame duck coach". 2) Anyone that does sign on for this isn't going to magically give the players more talent to score, the defenseman won't magically get strtonger in front of the net and our goalie won't magically stop injuring himself on skate arounds.

Is anyone really going to do better with this hockey team than Cappy? That statement is not a pat on Cappy's back, its an indictment of the organization

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Original Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentytwo View Post
That's why I voted Yes.

To be clear, I've been of the opinion for quite some time that Capuano is not qualified to be an NHL head coach and I think he should be fired yesterday. The biggest problem of the team is, obviously, Wang and his gang of misfits that have been put in charge to run a professional sports organization.

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillies Mustache View Post
I hope I wake up to hear this doofus has been canned. I won't though.
i had a small glimmer of hope they'd do this. but alas, nothing.

i'll be livid if they bring him back. But I can already tell that's exactly what they're going to do. They will think that finishing the year a couple of games within .500 is great improvement for this team. Ugh, I wonder what it's like to root for a professional sports franchise. Between this circus & the lousy Mets, I'll never know.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
I have no problems firing Cappy but the problem is 1) who is going to sign on to coach this team? I mean who really would want this job? I would love to coach a high school team let alone an NHL team and I would have to think about it. HAHA I've never seen a job where as soon as your hired your a "lame duck coach". 2) Anyone that does sign on for this isn't going to magically give the players more talent to score, the defenseman won't magically get strtonger in front of the net and our goalie won't magically stop injuring himself on skate arounds.

Is anyone really going to do better with this hockey team than Cappy? That statement is not a pat on Cappy's back, its an indictment of the organization
I have to believe that other coaches would not constantly get outcoached. How often do we see our 4th line out against players like Malkin, Gaborik, Spezza, etc. Far too often for my liking. How often do we see after a PK or PP, he throws out the 4th line, which will only result in another 30 seconds pinned in our defensive zone? I believe another coach would demand the respect of the officials, and he'd actually get explainations as to why a BS call was just made. How often does this team just not come ready to play at the start? 10 (and I think it's more actually) goals have been allowed on the 1st shot of the game. I bet you the majority of other teams in the game take 3 years to accumulate that many goals on the 1st shot. Why does it take injuries, or months of wasted time before he switches up the lines for a team that has an impossible time scoring goals, especially 5 on 5? What system is this? The ultra passive system where as soon as they lose the puck they scamper into the defensive zone & keep backing up till the other team is set up comfortably in our zone?

Before last night when he finally tried something different (in part because he no longer has Rolston here) how many major line changes have there been this season? We've seen PAP move from the 1st to the 2nd, back to the first. Ditto Okposo. Grabner was on the 1st for awhile. We've seen Martin move from the 4th to the 3rd. That's pretty much it. Bailey & Comeau/Rolston have remained together all year. Nielsen & Grabner all year. Moulson & JT all year. I think it would literally kill him if he split those players up.

Jack Capuano is the least creative, least proactive coach I've ever seen.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:50 AM
NiGhtt

Nope

NiGhtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:27 AM
OlTimeHockey

I defended Cappy over Scott Scrotum, but this team absolutely needs a tough coach who embraces tough hockey and demands it from all players.

Unfortunately, Wang is more likely to hire this guy.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:41 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I defended Cappy over Scott Scrotum, but this team absolutely needs a tough coach who embraces tough hockey and demands it from all players.

Unfortunately, Wang is more likely to hire this guy.
I KNOW you're not dissing the great and stupendous Richard Simmons. He is a national treasure!

We'd be the fittest team in the league if he was at the helm. We can't get any softer, that's for sure.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Knish Of The Crease

So much for hoping for Carlysle. Loafs can Wilson and will bring Randy in tomorrow.

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Shawn33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
So much for hoping for Carlysle. Loafs can Wilson and will bring Randy in tomorrow.
Yeah that sucks, I was kind of hoping for Carlyle. There is no way they can bring Cappy back after this year is there?

Shawn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn33 View Post
Yeah that sucks, I was kind of hoping for Carlyle. There is no way they can bring Cappy back after this year is there?
I just don't know. Part of me says "how can they." The other part says "they're the Islanders."

Old
03-02-2012, 08:32 PM
xECK29x

I just said it in another thread but Ron Wilson is exactly what we need. A firery coach with a winning record who holds players accountable. Connection with Nabby doesn't hurt either. Too bad we would never hire someone legit.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

I really wanted Carlyle, Ill settle for Wilson now since he is another experienced coach but whatever we do.. DO NOT HIRE PAUL MAURICE!!!!!!

I truly feel that a good veteran coach (some one like Carlyle) would of helped in bringing free agents to the team. I am of the mindset that if a coach has experience winning and has a great reputation with the players then word travels and people would want to play with him.

I remember once reading players talking about Scotty Bowman and how one was quoted "you hated him and probably wanted to kill him but one day a year you shake his hand as you gives you a championship ring"

I do not want Cappy back!!! I do not want Doug Weight Either!!!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:05 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

So, can we start the countdown to Brett Thompson now?

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Shawn33

Unfortunately during the offseason I'll be preparing myself to read "Islanders name Doug Weight new head coach."

Shawn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:31 PM
BossyMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
So, can we start the countdown to Brett Thompson now?
See, they will hire Thompson and that annoys me for 2 reasons.

1st, we need a real proven coach for once. We always have people that are 1st time nhl coaches and they have no idea what they are doing at this level.

2nd, even though Thompson looks like the man in the ahl, he hasn't gone through any adversity at that level. I want to see a coach stay down there for 3 years and go through the ups and downs and really learn how to deal with all situations as a coach. We need to develop a coach like most teams develop players. But we rush our players and coaches. Then we scratch them!!

Sorry....still have Nino on my mind.

BossyMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Knish Of The Crease

I can't wait to read the post game comments tomorrow after we lose 7-1

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:55 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossyMVP View Post
See, they will hire Thompson and that annoys me for 2 reasons.

1st, we need a real proven coach for once. We always have people that are 1st time nhl coaches and they have no idea what they are doing at this level.

2nd, even though Thompson looks like the man in the ahl, he hasn't gone through any adversity at that level. I want to see a coach stay down there for 3 years and go through the ups and downs and really learn how to deal with all situations as a coach. We need to develop a coach like most teams develop players. But we rush our players and coaches. Then we scratch them!!

Sorry....still have Nino on my mind.
FULLY agreed. Carlyle's the guy I wanted, but now it seems we either have to wait until Capuano "gets it," which scares me since it's starting to look like he's lost the locker room, hindering is already-slightly-less-than-NHL quality. I only say that because he's pulled closer to .500 with a crap roster than anyone in 8 years not named Ted Nolan.

The team needs an enema, from the front office down. While I still get a little ticked of when Isles fans throw Snow under the bus for being sent into a gunfight with a spoon by Wang, I unfortunately don't see anything changing until the team establishes a new identity - no more crazy owner trying to run a team like Mao Zedong, no more wet-behind-the-ears GM & coach with good intentions hindered by a lack of funds & experience, expected to win a boxing match with one arm & a blindfold.

Funny thing is, if any GM were to replace Snow, I almost wish it were Brian freaking Burke................ He bullies people into making deals, and as much of a bag of wind as he may be, when he takes over a team, it's only a matter of time before they're middle of the pack or better. Vancouver & Anaheim are two excellent examples.

I'd rather see a new owner step in and let go of 75% of the front office and maybe retain Snow as a scout or something.........no matter how many times I evaluate it, he doesn't seem to be the most negligent component to the front office. We need power in the front office more than the combo of fiscal Jedi mind tricks/NHL experience and what still registers to me as good intentions that Snow brings to the table. We need a front office that we, the players and the league can all believe in.

I'm not picking up the torch & pitchfork and calling for Snow's head like some of us may, but for all of the effort that I perceive, the person we need as GM isn't Snow unless he's given a $60M budget and a solid, exprienced coach.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:33 PM
OlTimeHockey

FWIW, Snow was given well over $10M to give FANS Rolston, Mottau, Eaton and Pandolfo and Reasoner.

I call that FAILURE.

Snow had the option of sending Nino down but didn't. Failure.

I would take Milbury back over Snow some days, to be honest.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 10:50 PM
BossyMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
FWIW, Snow was given well over $10M to give FANS Rolston, Mottau, Eaton and Pandolfo and Reasoner.

I call that FAILURE.

Snow had the option of sending Nino down but didn't. Failure.

I would take Milbury back over Snow some days, to be honest.

I would take Dipietro before Milbury. How dare you! Garth is God over milbury.

BossyMVP is offline   Reply With Quote