HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Do you still want Capuano back?

View Poll Results: Do you want Jack back for the 2012-13 season
Yes, he deserves to finish out his contract 16 11.35%
Absolutely Not 99 70.21%
Yes, but only if the other option is Doug Weight 26 18.44%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Destiny

vCash: 500
I will sum everyone's answer with one picture...

Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Is there ever an attacking gameplan with this team? I'm obviously not in the room, but it just seems to me that Capuano is telling the players before each game what they need to do to defend against the other team. Not how to attack them. We see teams put individual players/lines out against Tavares & basically shadow him. Do we ever see the NYI do that against the other teams best players?

I don't care if no one can win with this roster. I say no roster can win with Jack Capuanos systems in place. He's a passive coach & the team plays passive because of it. Complain all you want to about Gordon, but at least the Gordon led Isles didn't give the opposition all the time & space in the world. At least Gordons teams actually forechecked. This team doesn't know the meaning of the word.

Cap has to go
I absolutely agree with all of the above, just hire Thompson from Bridgeport because he is all about bringing it physically to the opponent and grinding games out.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:18 PM
JKP

Cappy reminds me of Lt Dyke from Band of Brothers leading the attack on Foy. We need a Spiers to take over sooooooo desperately.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Cappy reminds me of Lt Dyke from Band of Brothers leading the attack on Foy. We need a Spiers to take over sooooooo desperately.
Yes please

Spiers <3

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I absolutely agree with all of the above, just hire Thompson from Bridgeport because he is all about bringing it physically to the opponent and grinding games out.
I as well concur with Thompson as coach. I kind of get a feeling he will be at the end of both team's seasons.

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Isles Junkie

I don't know anything about Thompson. I'm happy the Soundtigers are having a solid season & hopefully they can make a run in the playoffs. But I want an NHL coach. Despite popular belief, if you pay these guys, they will come & work here. There's only 30 of these jobs, and for all the crap we talk about this team, there is some quality talent here. There's definitely something to work with. Give these guys a coach they deserve.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Islander102

Capuano sucks. I dont want to hear how the Islanders are in every game. Every NHL team is in every game, even Colombus. Games in this league are won or lost by small details, not huge margins, and the detail in this team's game is flat out awful. Yes part of it is on the roster which leaves a lot to be desired, but this team is constantly out of position, NEVER attacks or attempts to aggresively surround the puck carrier, and takes a million years to break out of their own zone, usually unsuccessfully. A lot of that is on coaching and lack of any sort of potentially successful gameplan. They simply sit back and clog the slot and hope that shots hit them and passes cant get through the middle. They play to not get scored on. They dont play to go after the puck and attack.

You look at the stingiest defensive teams in the league, and when they play D, theyre not just trying to not give up a goal, theyre trying to attack the puck carrier, surround him, take his options away, force a turnover, and counter attack. Quickly. The Islanders are giving the opponent as much puck possession as desired, and simply hoping to clog lanes and prevent goals. There is no system in place to go get the puck, and even less of one to do something with it.

Islander102 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:28 AM
stevedepot

Under THIS owner and this GM, it doesn't matter who the coach will be.
They will have no autonomy. The lack of player development will continue, the junkyard free agent signings will continue and the meddling will continue.
Shifting around some lines and changing strategy/habits wouldn't yield enough points to make us that better. Think about it.

stevedepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:36 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
There's only so much a coach can do with any given roster. I don't care if we got Babcock tomorrow-we'd still suck. No I don't like Cappy-and I'd like another coach. But if its' not a real NHL coach-it wont make a difference. And even if it is-it wont make that much of a difference.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:53 AM
On Edge

Want Cappy gone. He is in way over his head.

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
Capuano sucks. I dont want to hear how the Islanders are in every game. Every NHL team is in every game, even Colombus. Games in this league are won or lost by small details, not huge margins, and the detail in this team's game is flat out awful. Yes part of it is on the roster which leaves a lot to be desired, but this team is constantly out of position, NEVER attacks or attempts to aggresively surround the puck carrier, and takes a million years to break out of their own zone, usually unsuccessfully. A lot of that is on coaching and lack of any sort of potentially successful gameplan. They simply sit back and clog the slot and hope that shots hit them and passes cant get through the middle. They play to not get scored on. They dont play to go after the puck and attack.

You look at the stingiest defensive teams in the league, and when they play D, theyre not just trying to not give up a goal, theyre trying to attack the puck carrier, surround him, take his options away, force a turnover, and counter attack. Quickly. The Islanders are giving the opponent as much puck possession as desired, and simply hoping to clog lanes and prevent goals. There is no system in place to go get the puck, and even less of one to do something with it.
It's really remarkable how little attacking this team does. I think what bugs me the most is that as soon as they lose control in the offensive zone, they scatter out of there. They never attempt to go and get the puck pack.

I'd venture a guess and say the NYI spend 70% of virtually every game in their defensive zone.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:15 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
I'm going to go against popular vote and say yes. I think he needs a chance to prove himself and I believe that he keeps the locker room close which will be so important. However, next year will be his make or break year. Snow has to go out and sign some talent for this team and Jack has to prove he can manage it. We can't keep firing coaches each year and starting new systems. No coach is going to win under a crappy team. The fact is that we are making progress under Capuano, whether or not it is because of Capuano or other guys getting better is up for debate. However, I give him one more year. A real shot to turn things around hopefully with a better team.
I thought about this, but the constant losses with 2/3 minutes left in the game, along with other games where we are blown out early on in the first period, are signs of poor coaching and lack of preparation for the situation.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:20 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Do not want him back at all, but he must be replaced by an experienced NHL coach. Nothing wrong with giving a great AHL coach a shot but we need someone with NHL experience behind the bench. We don't have time to mess around with another AHL guy. With saying that unless the roster drastically changes and improves next season we will be doomed no matter who is behind the bench.
The issue isn't whether he should be replaced, its a question of what TYPE of coach would serve this roster best, since you can replace many parts, but not all 23 players.

Do we want a disciplinarian on a team with lots of fragile, young players? A "players" coach who can soothe the younger players fears while educating them on the finer strategies of the game?

The personality and pulse of the team MUST be carefully analyzed by Wang/Snow before determining what type of coach would be most suitable for the club.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:32 PM
IslesNorway

There's more than enough evidence for NOT bringing him back:

- no on-ice improvement to speak of
- Certain players regressing
- Handling of Nino
- Refusing to change lines
- Conceding with the first shot on 12 occasions!!!!
- So many lacklustre displays...
- Getting shut out countless times
- and so on...

Guess that means he'll be back next year then...

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:03 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
The issue isn't whether he should be replaced, its a question of what TYPE of coach would serve this roster best, since you can replace many parts, but not all 23 players.

Do we want a disciplinarian on a team with lots of fragile, young players? A "players" coach who can soothe the younger players fears while educating them on the finer strategies of the game?

The personality and pulse of the team MUST be carefully analyzed by Wang/Snow before determining what type of coach would be most suitable for the club.
Disciplinarian, but not a screamer. I think a disciplinarian can be strong and hold people accountable without scaring or having a detrimental relationship. It's about accountability and holding people responsible for their performance if they aren't competing hard enough (which is the biggest problem).

I definitely do NOT want a "players" coach. These kids don't need a buddy for a coach, they need a guy who has done this before and knows how to get them to grow up.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Islander102

A couple of sequences in the last game really stuck out to me, putting an ! on the difference between the best coached team in the league and the worst. The Rangers' 4th line is on the ice, trying to break out. The defenseman had the puck in the right corner next to the Ranger net. His partner moved along the goal line on the other side in position for a cross ice pass, or reverse if the Islanders pressured. (Surprise, they didn't, they elected to clog the neutral zone instead.) The left wing was skating diagonally up the ice, constantly criss crossing with the right wing. The center was constantly curling between the center ice circle and the Ranger blueline. Eventually, because not one Ranger stopped moving their feet for a second, a seam opened up, and the Rangers broke out, and ealily gained access to the Islander zone. This was helped by the Islanders remaining dropped into coverage the entire time, and never attempting to attack the puck carrying D forcing a rushed, bad pass.

Fast forward to the Isles getting the puck in the same spot. The D has the puck in the same corner. The other D is in the same spot for support. The left wing is standing still as a statue up the far boards. The RW is standing still as a statue up the near boards. The C is standing still as a statue at the Islander blueline. Not one player on the Islanders is moving an inch. No Ranger is standing still in coverage, all 5 players are swarming the zone. Then the Rangers arent content with that, they send a guy in to get on the puck carrier's ass, under pressure he tries to make a pass to one of his 3 forwards, and since all three are standing with cement feet, he catches the pass flat footed, and is immediately surrounded by 2 Rangers at top speed, forcing an easy turnover, passing the puck back to their D, and paragraph 1 repeats itself.

Like I said, this roster is FAR from perfect, but I have no idea how anyone can watch what transpired there, and not come to the conclusion that this coaching is unforgivably abysmal. As for, does this team need a screamer, a disciplinarian, a lax guy. I dont know, and frankly I dont care. There are great coaches of every mold. Tortorella is a screaming hard ass. Bylsma isnt. For my money, those two are the cream of the Eastern Conference. I want a coach that can out-smart the other coach in his gameplan. I want the Islanders to constantly be playing a system that maximizes all 5 players on the ice. I want all 5 players on the ice to constantly be moving somewhere, and I want there to be a PURPOSE and a REASON for every action every player takes when he is on the ice. I dont want 5 guys standing around playing shinny pond hockey while the other team has a detailed gameplan drawn up by an NHL tactician. Because if that's going to be the case, you can scream at them with all your might, and have each guy giving 150%, and they will still be at a disadvantage before the puck even drops.

Last edited by Islander102: 03-12-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Islander102 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
HAHAHA You gotta listen to this. Its Capuano post game delivered by Suri

http://audioboo.fm/boos/709081-cappy...ivered-by-siri

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Tuckisles

He's got to go. We have a league worst 9 losses when leading after 2 periods which is a total failure. I admit he is hamstrung by the owner and GM who refuse to alter this very soft team but a quality coach would have willed his team to hold some of those leads. As for who is the next coach, it MUST be an NHL guy in my opinion. We cannot continue to bring in AHL guys at this point. We get no respect from other teams or the refs and I truly believe a lot of this has to do with the guys we have had behind the bench. Other than Nolan we have had nothing but minor league up and comers since 2000 (Lavy, Stirling, Shaw, Gordon, and Capuano). It's time to get back in the big leagues.

Tuckisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Isles1983

If hes back next season I'm not watching.

Isles1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:44 AM
2LeftSkates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles1983 View Post
If hes back next season I'm not watching.
Will you watch if it is Doug Weight?

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:48 AM
gramatanboy

Capuano is by no means the sole reason the Islanders are bad, but he does nothing to improve this team either. Let's not forget that the only reason he is the coach is that he is the lowest paid coach in the NHL. I think that Botta posted a long time ago that Capuano was not even considered a rising coaching star in the AHL, but just an average coach at best. But with Wang it is all about the $$ $ So Cap will stay for as long as Wang sees fit not to spend real money on an NHL coach!

gramatanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 03:28 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramatanboy View Post
Capuano is by no means the sole reason the Islanders are bad, but he does nothing to improve this team either. Let's not forget that the only reason he is the coach is that he is the lowest paid coach in the NHL. I think that Botta posted a long time ago that Capuano was not even considered a rising coaching star in the AHL, but just an average coach at best. But with Wang it is all about the $$ $ So Cap will stay for as long as Wang sees fit not to spend real money on an NHL coach!
I think he's getting ready to push Weight for next year...and he'll be nearly impossible to get rid of. Not that I don't think Weight couldn't make a great coach....just not yet.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 05:43 AM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
I don't know anything about Thompson. I'm happy the Soundtigers are having a solid season & hopefully they can make a run in the playoffs. But I want an NHL coach. Despite popular belief, if you pay these guys, they will come & work here. There's only 30 of these jobs, and for all the crap we talk about this team, there is some quality talent here. There's definitely something to work with. Give these guys a coach they deserve.
this is what this team needs. so...it probably wont happen. and i for one, welcome our new underachieving coach overlords.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 06:22 AM
Riddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckisles View Post
He's got to go. We have a league worst 9 losses when leading after 2 periods which is a total failure. I admit he is hamstrung by the owner and GM who refuse to alter this very soft team but a quality coach would have willed his team to hold some of those leads. As for who is the next coach, it MUST be an NHL guy in my opinion. We cannot continue to bring in AHL guys at this point. We get no respect from other teams or the refs and I truly believe a lot of this has to do with the guys we have had behind the bench. Other than Nolan we have had nothing but minor league up and comers since 2000 (Lavy, Stirling, Shaw, Gordon, and Capuano). It's time to get back in the big leagues.
along with our what, 10 games with a goal in the first shot against? the team is clearly not coached correctly.

and saying that, i cant believe he still has a game. he better be ****ing gone come the day after the last game of the season..

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 07:59 AM
IwayMike

Quote:

IwayMike is offline   Reply With Quote