HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps should play more games at First Mariner (Baltimore)

Old
02-29-2012, 07:53 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
But where are the hockey fans in Baltimore? Are all football fans hockey fans as well?
You should make some little petition and see how many signatures you get there...
Here is one.

@NY troll, pretty smart to sick Caps fans on each other, good job!

Some of us love Ravens and others love Skins, some love Baltimore's blue collar charm and some DC'c cloture and night life, but here we are all united under the Caps banner.

You are a Rangers fan? Go be a Rangers fan on Ranger boards, don't start **** here.

P.S. See you in PO's when we'll beat your ass again.

Last edited by Vladiator16: 02-29-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:29 AM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Here is one.

@NY troll, pretty smart to sick Caps fans on each other, good job!

Some of us love Ravens and others love Skins, some love Baltimore's blue collar charm and some DC'c cloture and night life, but here we are all united under the Caps banner.

You are a Rangers fan? Go be a Rangers fan on Ranger boards, don't start **** here.

P.S. See you in PO's when we'll beat your ass again.
Nice post. I'm a Ravens fan that doesn't really mind the Redskins. I love UMD and the Orioles. But I am a Capitals fan first and foremost.

But stay classy bashing Baltimore because of some transplant troll. Some of us live here and enjoy it. Imagine that.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:52 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
Nice post. I'm a Ravens fan that doesn't really mind the Redskins. I love UMD and the Orioles. But I am a Capitals fan first and foremost.

But stay classy bashing Baltimore because of some transplant troll. Some of us live here and enjoy it. Imagine that.
Exactly.

I too don't care much about Skins, have a lot of friends from DC who are a diehard Skins fans, and we do rib each other during our get togethers, but my hatred as a Ravens and Caps fan is reserved for one city and one city only, i'm sure you know who i mean.

@PaddysPub, whats with all this: "...Cowardly... theft... sham... football envy... embarrassing and pathetic..." BS? Really? I think you forgot "Bunch of criminals and murderers!" Give your head a shake. Not that I'm an old-timer by any means, but you are really new here, don't be a dick.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:38 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Being 35, and living my entire life in the Annapolis area, I have spent a lot of time in the City of Baltimore. I have had some good moments in Baltimore (Under age visits to The Block, Under age visits to Bars, Singing songs with a guitar wielding Bum in Fells Point, Orioles games at Memorial, Orioles games at Camden Yards, Trips to the Aquarium as a kid and with my kids), but the City in general has always rubbed me the wrong way. As the largest City in the State I love I have always expected a lot from Baltimore and been disappointed every time. The City has, or had, real potential, but it will never be realized. Just my opinion though.

As for the Crows, well from being disappointed in how the team came to Baltimore, to being very disappointed in the team name/colors, to having my Wife's entire family filled with obnoxious Crows fans, I am just not a big fan of the Crows. And probably never will.

Also, Skins have won 5 Championships and the Crows have 1. Yes the Colts won 4 Championships during their stay in Baltimore, but those Championships now reside in Indiana.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:48 AM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Exactly.

I too don't care much about Skins, have a lot of friends from DC who are a diehard Skins fans, and we do rib each other during our get togethers, but my hatred as a Ravens and Caps fan is reserved for one city and one city only, i'm sure you know who i mean.

@PaddysPub, whats with all this: "...Cowardly... theft... sham... football envy... embarrassing and pathetic..." BS? Really? I think you forgot "Bunch of criminals and murderers!" Give your head a shake. Not that I'm an old-timer by any means, but you are really new here, don't be a dick.
Not trying to be a dick and I probably took it too far, I just can't stand the Ravens franchise. Living in Ravens country I was excited for Bmore to get the team. Then I spent over a decade listening to Ravens radio stations talk more about the hatred towards the Redskins than they spoke about their own team. I spent over a decade watching Skins fan jump ship and say that everything Redskins was evil. So now, I'm just jaded. I do stand by what I said about how the team started; Modell forced his way out of Cleveland the same way the Irsays ran from Baltimore yet it was ok in Balitmore but the Irsays are still hated.

I respect the product they put on the field; Ray Rice is this generation's Brian Westbrook and the defense speaks for itself. Not a Joe Flacco fan and I LOLed when he requested top 5 QB money. At Navy I got to watch them both crush our team and I thought they'd be something special.

My love for the Caps is exclusive from football. I'll talk a bunch of **** to a Ravens fan but still go wild with them during Caps games. Are there any other dynamics like this in sports where one team in one sport splits two rivals in another sport?

Edit: I love the city of Baltimore. I have a sibling who lives and works downtown, tons of friends who live there, and whenever I'm home on leave I go out in Canton, Fed Hill, Fells Point. The city has really cleaned itself up from the mid-90's. Most people who hate on it haven't spent any time there.

Last edited by AlexBrovechkin8: 02-29-2012 at 11:53 AM.
AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddysPub View Post
It shows how different the cities are. I haven't felt any animosity towards the Orioles organization by anyone affiliated with the Nationals, but the attitude in Baltimore towards the Redskins is embarrassing.
You need to look harder. The parallels between Nationals and Ravens are eerily similar. There is plenty of O's bashing amongst the Nationals community.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:23 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
You need to look harder. The parallels between Nationals and Ravens are eerily similar. There is plenty of O's bashing amongst the Nationals community.
Although much of that is probably rooted in hating Angelos (about trying to keep the team away, screwing with the TV situation, etc.)

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Although much of that is probably rooted in hating Angelos (about trying to keep the team away, screwing with the TV situation, etc.)
A lot of the Ravens hate towards the skins back in the day was directed at Jack Kent Cooke for similar reasons. Again, the parallels are eerily similar.

DC Baseball and Baltimore football have a lot of parallels going back in history: both lost franchises to dubious circumstances, both regained franchises in dubious circumstances after league refused to put in expansion teams in obviously strong markets. Both had established franchises nearby (Redskins and O's) with owners fighting tooth and nail to keep the other city out. Both established franchises are currently going through some of their worst years ever, while the nearby new franchise either has won a title, or appears poised for success.

Last edited by Foy: 02-29-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old
02-29-2012, 01:38 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:
A lot of the Ravens hate towards the skins back in the day was directed at Jack Kent Cooke for similar reasons. Again, the parallels are eerily similar.
True story. And that hatred spilled over to Dan Snyder when he tried to control the TV market in Bmore. Admittedly I don't follow the Nats/O's situation as closely because I've lost most interest in baseball so I'll defer to you on that; I just haven't seen/experienced it. I feel for O's fans though; what Angelos has done to that franchise is a disgrace. Best stadium in baseball imo.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:39 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Yeah. Have to think it's inevitable for these kinds of markets.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Foy

Quote:
Yeah. Have to think it's inevitable for these kinds of markets.
How many of "these kinds of markets" are there in the US? The only other ones that I can think of are LA/Anaheim, and SF/Oakland/SJ, and both of those markets have far more overlap in terms of who identifies with whom. DC and Baltimore are very distinct, and yet very close.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:51 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
How many of "these kinds of markets" are there in the US? The only other ones that I can think of are LA/Anaheim, and SF/Oakland/SJ, and both of those markets have far more overlap in terms of who identifies with whom. DC and Baltimore are very distinct, and yet very close.
I think a second team in the greater Toronto area would end up with this type of situation, just as an example. Don't know how many there really are though. NY and Chicago have teams with too much history for there to be this kind of relationship even if the teams/fanbases hate each other, I guess.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Foy

Quote:
I think a second team in the greater Toronto area would end up with this type of situation, just as an example. Don't know how many there really are though. NY and Chicago have teams with too much history for there to be this kind of relationship even if the teams/fanbases hate each other, I guess.
and I don't think a lot of time that the fanbases hate each other that much in situations like Chicago and NY. A Cubs fan may dislike a Sox fan, but they are both Bears fans, and both Bulls fans and Both Hawks fans. In NY, you'll have two guys where they share half their teams.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:19 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

LA Dodgers and LA/Anaheim Angels is probably a similar situation.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The obvious distinction between the Nationals and the Ravens is that the Nationals have an uninterrupted history of futility since arriving in DC, and extending back for many years in their prior incarnation in Montreal. The Ravens have a championship from just over a decade ago, and a team that is reasonably to very competitive each year, up through to the present.

If the Ravens fans have a complex in the region, it's because that team is strong and the Redskins stink, and yet the Redskins draw the lion's share of fanatical support in this part of the mid-Atlantic.

The Nationals and Orioles both stink, and have done so for ages. There are no Nationals fans puffing their chests, trying to argue that the team deserves more ink or support relative to Baltimore, not with the records Washington has put up lately.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:22 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Reading the recent discussion in this thread really made me focus on the plight of the Orioles. Football is where my true sports passions lie, but the Orioles were the first pro team I was aware of as a kid, and the first pro team I went to see in person. The O's will always have a special place in my heart, but to think of what has become of that franchise, it really makes me angry. Its a sad situation, almost tragic.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:24 PM
JPQ531

DC is regarded as one of the most cosmopolitan and well to do cities in the country. On the contrary, Baltimore is known for The Wire.

Enough said.

JPQ531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:26 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

It seems silly to say, but the only hope I see for the O's is to have Angelos die. Considering he is 82, well...

Something else interesting I found out looking into the age of Angelos is where he was born, Pittsburgh. Suppose that explains things.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:30 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Unlike Snyder/Cooke, Angelos isn't particularly respected in his profession.

02-29-2012, 02:30 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
The obvious distinction between the Nationals and the Ravens is that the Nationals have an uninterrupted history of futility since arriving in DC, and extending back for many years in their prior incarnation in Montreal. The Ravens have a championship from just over a decade ago, and a team that is reasonably to very competitive each year, up through to the present.

If the Ravens fans have a complex in the region, it's because that team is strong and the Redskins stink, and yet the Redskins draw the lion's share of fanatical support in this part of the mid-Atlantic.

The Nationals and Orioles both stink, and have done so for ages. There are no Nationals fans puffing their chests, trying to argue that the team deserves more ink or support relative to Baltimore, not with the records Washington has put up lately.
There's starting to be, because the Nats have more reason to be optimistic. Obviously it's a far cry from the swagger that comes wiht a championship but as far as MLB is concerned it'll have to do. Much more of a micro level of consideration though.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Unlike Snyder/Cooke, Angelos isn't particularly respected in his profession.
What field is Snyder respected in? He made his money from telephone slamming. Everything he's touched since has gone completely rotten.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:44 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
What field is Snyder respected in? He made his money from telephone slamming. Everything he's touched since has gone completely rotten.
His accolades in marketing are fairly impressive, youngest CEO ever on the NYSE, largest sale of a marketing company ever.

Angelos made his career on finding lucrative plaintiffs in an area of law that the work had already been done for him.

I dunno, I can't say whether Snyder is respected in his field, I would assume so. I can say, even amongst trial lawyers I don't think they consider Angelos particularly bright or innovative so much as opportunistic and lucky.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:37 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post

Very well put. I think it will be interesting to see if Nats fans get the "Ravens fan complex" this year if they find success, which is very possible.

Old
02-29-2012, 06:40 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Reading the recent discussion in this thread really made me focus on the plight of the Orioles. Football is where my true sports passions lie, but the Orioles were the first pro team I was aware of as a kid, and the first pro team I went to see in person. The O's will always have a special place in my heart, but to think of what has become of that franchise, it really makes me angry. Its a sad situation, almost tragic.
I'm not even an Orioles fan, or really a baseball fan, and I feel that way. I now know the pain of the Orioles and how hopeless they must feel every season. When Snyder was writing checks for Vinny, I just felt hopeless every year. Luckily for Redskins fans, Vinny the Idiot is gone and replaced by what appears to be a competent front office, and Snyder appears to be doing what good owners do; hire people who know the sport and get the **** out of the way. The Orioles and their franchise have no such hope until Angelos croaks.

Old
03-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote