HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Mike Richards

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2012, 12:48 PM
tomd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I'm pretty sure the Kings are younger this year than they were last year. I could be wrong but I think DL has said that this year so either he is mistaken or you are. I can't imagine they are especially after the emergence of Nolan/King and the swap of Voynov/Johnson.
Not sure to be quite honest since the roster has fluctuated so much.

Certainly if you count Nolan and King then they are younger but the jury is still out on them. The Lombardi "plan" at the start of the year was Hunter, Moreau, and Gagne which would have made them much older if all 3 hadn't failed or been injured.

I guess other areas are a wash:
Voynov < Johnson
Richards > Schenn, Simmonds

I can't think of any other major changes from last year.

Old
03-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I don't think anyone isn't disappointed and/or frustrated in his current play; it's just that it isn't as dire as some are acting.
This simple sentence keeps going largely unnoticed by the few that appear to have an agenda. You are focusing on a player that is underperforming in a sea of players who are underperforming and some are making ASSumptions that while the WHOLE team is underperforming, some how Simmonds (who had a down year last year on the Kings) and Schenn (who is a rookie) would be performing at the same level they are on the Flyers which is a pretty bold assumption if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Kings are the 2nd youngest team in the NHL right now, post trade deadline. They are also the 2nd largest team in the NHL. That seems to fit with Lombardi's plan.

Mitchell has been the best defensive defenseman on the Kings and he is the oldest player on the team. He re-signed because he believes that the Kings could win a cup in the next 2 years. I'll take his belief over yours.
Damn.. facts are only good when they support your opinion.

Old
03-01-2012, 12:55 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
It would be nice if you would address my last post when I basically asked you why on earth you would believe that out of all the players on the Kings teams, had Simmonds/Schenn been here, things would be different.
Things wouldn't be different, and that's the problem.

I know you're addressing Tomd here (and I don't speak for him), but I would like you to address the stat I brought up earlier regarding even strength points. Those who support the Richards trade always ignore it when I bring it up.

Old
03-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post

Certainly if you count Nolan and King then they are younger but the jury is still out on them. The Lombardi "plan" at the start of the year was Hunter, Moreau, and Gagne which would have made them much older if all 3 hadn't failed or been injured.

Voynov < Johnson

Isn't Gagne younger than Smyth and Handzus? Stoll replaced Handzus as the #3, younger. Gagne replaced Smyth as #2 LW, younger. Richards replaced Stoll as the #2, younger. Penner replaced Poni as the #3 LW, younger (of course he was supposed to be the #1 LW, but we know how that worked).

Mitchell and Scuderi were added for their abilities, no reason to replace them with younger defensemen.

Sure Moreau and Hunter were added because Lombardi felt that King and Nolan were too young to make the team out of camp, especially with Moller and Holloway non-options. Lombardi has since corrected another mistake and King and Nolan have looked better than both Moreau and Hunter since being called up. **** happens.

Last edited by Sydor25: 03-01-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old
03-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:

Voynov < Johnson

Dude you are grasping at straws. You make a false statement and try and spin FACTS to make your argument. Were Hunter and Moreau brought in to fill prominent roles or were they brought in here to fill space should younger players not be able to cut the mustard? Lets be friggin honest here.. none of those guys sans Gagne were brought in to be key pieces of the team. Gagne was brought in to supplant an OLDER Smyth who was traded at his request. Keep reaching...

Old
03-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Does that apply to DL as well?.
Button, just like Lombardi was/is a failure as an NHL GM.

I like Tg, but I have no idea how he can make the comment he made in his other post about Button and then defend Lombardi as much as he has on this board (although recently is tone has changed a bit)

Getting back to the topic. I could care less what Milbury or Button say. It doesn't take a so called expert to see that MR's career is trending in the wrong direction the last couple of season, 80 points to 60 points to 45 points, I'm sorry that is scary considering how much the Kings have invested in him, in not only in the assets we gave up but what we are going to be paying him for the next what, 7-8 years?

The Kings won't win a championship any time soon unless MR finds his game again and becomes the player he was three years ago, the 2011-2012 MR isn't going to cut it, agreed?

Old
03-01-2012, 12:58 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the Kings are younger this year than they were last year. I could be wrong but I think DL has said that this year so either he is mistaken or you are. I can't imagine they are especially after the emergence of Nolan/King and the swap of Voynov/Johnson. I believe he actually mentioned this year being similar to the year when he was fired by San Jose. I beileve they missed the playoffs that year and have been considered "elite" ever since.
They also replaced Smyth and Handzus.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:00 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Lombardi's quote...."You get younger every year, and the goal is to get better every day."

It's even mentioned in his LA Kings.com profile.

http://kings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=41315

Whenever Lombardi goes against his own plan is when he seems to make the most mistakes.
you are obviously misunderstanding, misconstruing, and over simplifying what he's saying.

At this point, I believe the goal is to get older. More experienced, more playing time. The core players are all locked into long-term contracts, the time for youth is over. It's time to keep adding more skill and refine the team. This is why he's dishing picks out and trading youth for experience. If you constantly seek to get younger, you'll just have a sliding window of talent. It doesn't work. But, again, this is HF boards, where having the #1 prospect farm > Stanley Cup, so most of you wouldn't agree with that.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Button, just like Lombardi was/is a failure as an NHL GM.

I like Tg, but I have no idea how he can make the comment he made in his other post about Button and then defend Lombardi as much as he has on this board (although recently is tone has changed a bit)

Getting back to the topic. I could care less what Milbury or Button say. It doesn't take a so called expert to see that MR's career is trending in the wrong direction the last couple of season, 80 points to 60 points to 45 points, I'm sorry that is scary considering how much the Kings have invested in him, in not only in the assets we gave up but what we are going to be paying him for the next what, 7-8 years?

The Kings won't win a championship any time soon unless MR finds his game again and becomes the player he was three years ago, the 2011-2012 MR isn't going to cut it, agreed?

Great post.

The Kings age group is low right now because of Nolan, King, Clifford, Lewis, etc...not exactly game changers.

It's not like we can refuel the forward tank at the draft either considering we don't draft until what, the 3rd or 4th round?

Is everything in the hands of Toffoli and Andreoff, who has much as I like him is an overager back in juniors.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:03 PM
tomd

Quote:
Dude you are grasping at straws. You make a false statement and try and spin FACTS to make your argument. Were Hunter and Moreau brought in to fill prominent roles or were they brought in here to fill space should younger players not be able to cut the mustard? Lets be friggin honest here.. none of those guys sans Gagne were brought in to be key pieces of the team. Gagne was brought in to supplant an OLDER Smyth who was traded at his request. Keep reaching...
didn't really give it much thought but I agree that guys like Handzus, Poni, and Smyth were older than their replacements this year. I don't think the replacements are better but that is a different discussion.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:06 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
you are obviously misunderstanding, misconstruing, and over simplifying what he's saying.

At this point, I believe the goal is to get older. More experienced, more playing time. The core players are all locked into long-term contracts, the time for youth is over. It's time to keep adding more skill and refine the team. This is why he's dishing picks out and trading youth for experience. If you constantly seek to get younger, you'll just have a sliding window of talent. It doesn't work. But, again, this is HF boards, where having the #1 prospect farm > Stanley Cup, so most of you wouldn't agree with that.
And all this experience (and salary) has gotten them to 10th place in the conference. We are now all hoping to snag 8th place. That is not impressive.

Given the choice between 8th-10th place in the conference and the #1 pick, I think I'd take the latter.

Old
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post

WTF, he says to get younger and you say he is wrong in his own quote and he really means to get older? Umm....no.

Old
Herby
Culture Changer

Age as a team isn't as important as the age of the core players. The Kings are young but a lot of that youth aren't exactly playing huge roles. Clifford, King, Nolan, Lewis, Bernier all don't play very much.

Doughty and Voynov are really the only young players on this team playing really key roles who will probably get better. Martinez as well, although his upside is nowhere near the other two.

Brown, Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Quick, Penner, Stoll, Williams and Greene are all in their primes, although judging by how some have played this season you wouldn't know it.

Mitchell, Gagne and Scuderi are excellent older veteran players.

There is no reason the time shouldn't be now for this team.

Old
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
They wouldn't be different, and that's the problem.

I know you're addressing Tomd here (and I don't speak for him), but I would like you to address the stat I brought up earlier regarding even strength points. Those who support the Richards trade always ignore it when I bring it up.
That is a fair assesment but I think most of us here believe(d) the Kings needed an upgrade a second line center if they were going to be a legitimate contender. Just ask Herby. That being said, having an expectation that a rookie would come in here and fill that role was a recipe for disaster. Could it have worked? Sure. But I don't think that was a gamble DL was willing to take. Had he stood pat with Stoll, the same people would be complaining about his reluctance to do anything with his beloved prospects and one of them would be PSP. You've seen his rap on potential. It means nothing until it is realized. So had DL held onto Schenn and Simmonds, we'd have a slew of people on here whining about how DL never does anything and how we can't wait 3, 4, 5 years for Schenn to develop. Instead, he brings a guy with a great track record, somebody who was praised by a poster 3/4 months prior to that, then he is disparaged for bringing in said player. Sounds like a Goldilocks fan to me.

I don't give a **** what DL does with this team as long as they win. They aren't winning so it is he who I blame. I also don't think it is the player personnel. I've posted it in this thread by who in their right mind at the beginning of the season thought the Blues would be better than the Kings when they are using a number of the same players they used the past few seasons and this is a team that (I'm pretty sure) missed the playoffs every year since the lockout. To me, that says one thing. We have a problem with coaching and potentially with leadership. When you look through the roster and see the number of players that have played in or won a SCF, I strongly believe it is the former more than the latter. It doesn't mean there isn't a problem with leadership but history suggests otherwise.

BTW.. prior to the Richards trade, i suggested signing Jason Arnott and everyone's favorite, Johnny Utah, all but called that a stupid idea. 15g/15a in 57 games and +11. The Kings would still have Schenn/Simmonds had they done it. It would have allowed Schenn a year of development on the 4th line or in Manchester. Doesn't seem like such a stupid idea now.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Things wouldn't be different, and that's the problem.

Have you watched how the Flyers play versus how the Kings play? They score more goals and give up more goals than the Kings do, in all situations. That is the system, they thought you could just plug in a goalie that was successful in a defensive system (Bryz) and everything would be fixed defensively. Did that work out or are they looking for another solution and have a 31-year old goalie signed for 9 more years.

Isn't simmonds and schenn minus players at even strength (or SH) and Richards is a plus player? Doesn't that mean the kings are scoring more at even strength (or SH) than the other team with Richards on the ice, while the Flyers are scoring fewer goals at even strength (or SH) when Simmonds or schenn is on the ice?

If Richards is preventing more goals against than he is scoring, isn't that a good thing? Do I wish he was doing even better, or course, but I also realize that he is getting the toughest assignments and with Carter on the team now, Kopitar and Brown are finding more room on the ice and are scoring. Will it continues? Who knows, that is why they play the game.

I still believe in the roster, just not the style that is favored by the current regime.

Old
Herby
Culture Changer

Buddy,

There was no way the Kings could go into a fourth season with Stoll as a second line center. The guy is just a terrible hockey player and with the Kings lack of any kind of talent on the wing at either the NHL or development level they had to either give the reigns to Schenn and let him grow or trade Schenn in a deal for a true 2nd line center. Which is what they did, the question is,did they get a guy who is a shell of his former self, I hope not, but this season is not a good sign.

Here is an interesting point, what if the Kings had tried to get Carter from Philly instead of Richards.

Old
Johnny Utah

I just thought Arnott was finished at 37 and figured Schenn was ready to step in.

But, looking back, I'd take Arnott over Richards if I can have back Simmonds and Schenn.

Herby, I agreed with that. I would've parted with JJ to Phily for Carter instead.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
That may be true but worst case scenario they can bury him in the minors. It really isn't something I'm worried about. I firmly believe a coaching change (I'm talking everyone) could make a HUGE impact. Look what it did to St. Louis. There are plenty of other examples.

Quote:
And all this experience (and salary) has gotten them to 10th place in the conference. We are now all hoping to snag 8th place. That is not impressive.

Given the choice between 8th-10th place in the conference and the #1 pick, I think I'd take the latter.
Great and if that were the case (Kings going for a #1 pick w/ Simmonds/SChenn in the line up) you bet your ass your best friend PSP would be complaining about when all these prospects are going to realize potential and how we are in year 6 of the Lombardi rebuild and going for the #1 overall draft pick.

You just can't win with any of you guys. DL has made some poor decisions but in my opinion the worst haven't been with player personnel. It has been his coaching decisions and him not wanting to fire Kompon when he has had poor results.

Quote:
Age as a team isn't as important as the age of the core players. The Kings are young but a lot of that youth aren't exactly playing huge roles. Clifford, King, Nolan, Lewis, Bernier all don't play very much.

Doughty and Voynov are really the only young players on this team playing really key roles who will probably get better. Martinez as well, although his upside is nowhere near the other two.

Brown, Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Quick, Penner, Stoll, Williams and Greene are all in their primes, although judging by how some have played this season you wouldn't know it.

Mitchell, Gagne and Scuderi are excellent older veteran players.

There is no reason the time shouldn't be now for this team.
I agree so do you believe the player personnel is the problem or is it something else?

Old
03-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Johnny Utah

Ask yourself this, who will be under the age of 30 and an IMPACT OR CORE FORWARD on the Kings in 3 years.

NO ONE.

That is what the Richards deal did.

This years draft is wash and you figure we finish the same place the next two drafts, I don't see any of those kids stepping in and taking over in 2 years.

Loki, Clifford, Nolan, King are not star players. Toffoli is only 19 and still in juniors.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Buddy,

There was no way the Kings could go into a fourth season with Stoll as a second line center. The guy is just a terrible hockey player and with the Kings lack of any kind of talent on the wing at either the NHL or development level they had to either give the reigns to Schenn and let him grow or trade Schenn in a deal for a true 2nd line center. Which is what they did, the question is,did they get a guy who is a shell of his former self, I hope not, but this season is not a good sign.

Here is an interesting point, what if the Kings had tried to get Carter from Philly instead of Richards.
I agree.. that is why I was suggesting older rentals because I really didn't believe for a second that Schenn would be traded. When he was and it was for Mike Richards, I was and still am ok with that. Time will tell if that was the right decision or not. And I know I've repeated this 8 times now but I firmly believe we'd be seeing different results with a different coaching staff.

Quote:
I just thought Arnott was finished at 37 and figured Schenn was ready to step in.

But, looking back, I'd take Arnott over Richards if I can have back Simmonds and Schenn.

Herby, I agreed with that. I would've parted with JJ to Phily for Carter instead.
Thanks, i was right! I'll pat myself on the back for you.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:17 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
WTF, he says to get younger and you say he is wrong in his own quote and he really means to get older? Umm....no.
you wouldn't understand now would you?

Old
03-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Johnny Utah

Please tell me how saying we are getting younger every year and getting better is not what he said? That is the exact quote I pulled!

P.S. We got a bit younger calling up Nolan/King but we def aren't any better than last year....so Lombardi is 0-2 in his thinking.

But despite such talent, Lombardi still firmly believes you draft and develop your homegrown players while complimenting that group in other ways, and despite adding a number of veteran players, the Kings remain a relatively young team, which coincides with Lombardi’s philosophy and track record that your team needs to get better while getting younger.

But you're saying that he really means the opposite.

So if I say I want to get rich, I am really saying I want to be poor? Obviously you are not a lawyer.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Ask yourself this, who will be under the age of 30 and an IMPACT OR CORE FORWARD on the Kings in 3 years.

NO ONE.

That is what the Richards deal did.

This years draft is wash and you figure we finish the same place the next two drafts, I don't see any of those kids stepping in and taking over in 2 years.

Loki, Clifford, Nolan, King are not star players. Toffoli is only 19 and still in juniors.
Kopitar

What if the Kings win the Stanley Cup in 2 years? What if Richards and Carter help win it? Did you know that Detroit is one of the oldest teams in the leauge? Most of their IMPACT players are over 30.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
I agree so do you believe the player personnel is the problem or is it something else?
On paper the team is one highly skilled player away.

This team, because of an awful strategy at the draft table, coupled with some really bad decisions as far as trades and fa's go doesn't have the skill needed to win in today's NHL. When you add in the archaic dead puck style of Lombardi hockey you have the #30 offense in the NHL, which obviously isn't going to win.

In theory the core of this team should be ready to compete for a championship but they are still obviously missing that one offensive player + a good system to compete.

What's really sad is there have been tons of chances to correct it and the Kings missed on all of them.

The Kings have had a realistic chance of having Claude Giroux, Jordan Eberle, Logan Couture, Marian Gaborik and Matt Moulson. Now it's unrealistic to expect them to land all of them or even two, but even having one of those players on the roster and this team is alot closer (on paper) to being a contender.

As for that system...well only one thing fixes that.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Johnny Utah

That was the 1 obvious one Sydor....Okay, so you have Kopitar, Loktionov, Clifford, Nolan and King....Ummm okay....A #1 center, a #3 center and three 4th line LW'ers.

With Schenn and Simmonds you would have had a #2 center and a second line RW.

XXX-Kopitar-XXX
XXX-Schenn-Simmonds
King-Loktionov-XXX
Clifford-XXX-Nolan (playing out of regular LW)

Closed Thread