Jets lose 5-3 to Oilers

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 11:01 PM
franfrey*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
Such a frustrating game. I liked Buff today though, Burmi was good too. Didn't help that the refs kept gift wrapping the Oilers goals.

[mod]
How the hell did the refs "giftwrap" goals for the Oilers? Seriously, this is one of the only games this year in which the refs were consistent with their calls all game.
Good game nonetheless, kinda wish the Jets woulda won... I reeeeeally hope they make the playoffs.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 314
Just a scattered, uneven effort from the goaltender out. I'm going to chalk it up to a loose team with nothing to play for, going up against a tightly wound team with playoff hopes on the line.

Bogo needs to get back in the lineup ASAP, and we'll give Clitsome a look. Jones and Flood played like hot garbage, it was painful how bad they were.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:02 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Post-game audio

Jets audio: Pavelec, Antropov, Burmistrov and Wellwood.

To listen click here.

Oilers audio: Dubnyk, Petrell, Hall and coach Renney.

To listen click here.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
d where the "Shoot the Puck!" chant started and it was timely
That was just so frustrating to watch. I know Thorburn isn't a sniper but that time where he had the puck in the slot and passed it back I was just.... Wheeler passing on the 2-on-1 in the third just prior to the penalty. The defenseman was playing the pass all the way. You're a right-handed shot. Just take it! Burmistrov twice in the first. (Though he made up for it later.) Ladd on the late third period PP where he drops it back to no one.

I mean these are just the ones I can remember.

God I hate guys who yell 'shoot'. But this game made me one of those guys.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Daynz
What!?!

Just got home. 5-3? Wow.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:15 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1001
Just got home from the game. Maybe the most disapointing game I've been to. Flood and Jones were just bad. After the warm up when Bogo didn't come out I mentioned to my brother that I wasn't feeling good about that pairing. Burmi was probably the best Jet. One of Pavs subpar games, and its been awhile since Wheeler looked ordinary.

The Hill just got very steep. We really need Bogo back.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Tarks
True North

vCash: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankydawg View Post
How the hell did the refs "giftwrap" goals for the Oilers? Seriously, this is one of the only games this year in which the refs were consistent with their calls all game.
Good game nonetheless, kinda wish the Jets woulda won... I reeeeeally hope they make the playoffs.
I have to agree with you. There were so many fans whining about the refs tonight at the game. I mean really? I thought the refs were pretty fare tonight. The refs certainly didn't play a roll in deciding the game that's for sure. There seems to be a lot of fans here in Wpg that need to get educated IMO.

And, this "Oilers suck" chant in a 0-0 game is brutal and needs to come to an end. We are embarrassing this city IMO.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:19 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Anybody that knows me well will know exactly what I have to say.

Jones. . Beyond the horrid turnover, he was just TERRIBLE. I turned to my buddy at the start of the game and said, "I cannot believe they are pairing Jones, who can barely skate, with Flood, a turnover machine. This is trouble." ****ing prophetic. Both are fine, WHEN SHELTERED WITH GOOD PARTNERS. Stupid, stupid, plain stupid to pair them together and the blame lies with NOEL. Just awful. Cannot wait for Bogosian and Clitsome, these two need to sit.

Best player. Again. Nik Antropov. Here is playing with Stapleton and Miettinen and despite Miettinen doing everything he can to sabotage the line (can't get the puck out of the zone to save his life) they are creating plays, making offense. Antropov makes so many small little plays that go unnoticed that help the team immensely it's just sick. Smartest player on the Jets, hands down. Not mention he was hitting, driving the net, making great passes and going to the dirty areas (ended with a goal because of it).

Alex Burmistrov had a great game as well. Kid has skill, hope he will be able to put it all together very soon.

Evander Kane is garbage. He should NEVER play PP, he simply cannot see the ice well enough to play PP. He skates like the wind sure, but instead of driving wide he with purposely take the puck AT THE DEFENSEMAN!! Are you kidding me? Just has ZERO hockey sense. Tired of his crap, learn to play ****ing hockey, not shinny one day PLEASE!

That's all I got for now. Not happy, that was a SLOPPY sloppy game, played right into Oilers hands. That is how they play every game, with 0 systems, just a shinny game. You play any kind of systems and you can easily beat that team. Embarrassing.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 02-27-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old
02-27-2012, 11:19 PM
vickpeterson

Oilers fan here.
Really love your team and the energy of the crowd, and also Kane and Burmistrov, really hope you guys make the playoffs, would be a treat to watch, smallest building with the loudest fans

Old
02-27-2012, 11:21 PM
blueandgoldguy

15 years later......and we still can't beat the Oilers.

And I wonder how many NHl teams can say they couldn't win a game against the two worst teams in the league, Edmonton and Columbus?

Such a frustrating third period. Thought we had control of the game until that Wheeler penalty early in the third.

Frankly, I never want to see Jones play another game for the Jets especially after that third goal. Yeah, those things happen where a players stumbles or trips but it was like he wasn't capable of recovering quick enough to prevent a 2-on-1. Besides that though, he was pretty crappy the whole game. Bogo can't come back quick enough.

Pavs was pretty weak too. if we want to make the playoffs we need to see last week's Pav for the remainder of the season

Given the games in hand teams have on us, the game against Florida on Thurs. is a must-win. Lose, and while there are still plenty of games left in the season, the Jets chances of making the the playoffs become miniscule given the previously mentioned games-in-hand and our remaining road-heavy schedule(where we have been rotten all season).

Old
02-27-2012, 11:22 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

More post game

Coach Noel had quite a bit to say following the loss to the Oilers.

To listen click here.

Host Drew Mindell and Analyst Richard Pollock break down all the action in the postgame podcast.

To listen click here.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarks View Post
And, this "Oilers suck" chant in a 0-0 game is brutal and needs to come to an end. We are embarrassing this city IMO.
I was at the game, that was started in direct response to a handful of Oilers fans that started a "Let's go Oilers!" chant. It was the exact same thing with the "Flyers Suck!" chant that everyone was so up in arms about this past Tuesday.

I'd be more embarrassed about chastising enthusiastic, alcohol-fuelled customers who've sunk alot of capital into this organization, expecting them to behave like it was the ballet. IMO.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

4 goals in the third period in front of your home crowd. I mean that's just...gutting.

Agreed I never want to see Randy Jones again. Apparantly he was checked by invisible Oilers-Byfuglien on that play.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:31 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I'd be more embarrassed about chastising enthusiastic, alcohol-fuelled customers who've sunk alot of capital into this organization, expecting them to behave like it was the ballet. IMO.
Because the only two options were behaving like it was the ballet and chanting "Oilers Suck".......................

Old
02-27-2012, 11:33 PM
sixty minute hockey

Pretty ****y deals tonight, I was at this game and everywhere around me except to my right were Oiler fans Jones looked pretty nasty tonight and Pavs didn't do what Pavs usually does to keep us in the game. We had lots of good opportunities in every period we just didn't capitalize. Edmonton had a boat load of chances in the first, we were just lucky none of them went in, but we couldn't hold them off forever. I would have liked to see a lot more effort put in by the shorthanded, they got royally beat down except for the first penalty.

My record at the MTS Centre: 1-2-1

Last edited by sixty minute hockey: 02-27-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old
02-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
That's all I got for now. Not happy, that was a SLOPPY sloppy game, played right into Oilers hands. That is how they play every game, with 0 systems, just a shinny game. You play any kind of systems and you can easily beat that team. Embarrassing.
They're a team that you can handle if you keep the game along the boards and force them into puck battles (ie. what the Jets did in the 2nd period). The moment you allow the game to turn into fast break basketball on ice, the game is right where the Oilers want it. Half of the ****ing game seemed to be played in transition, which is the exact opposite of how you beat them.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:40 PM
sixty minute hockey

Oh, and another thing. The Jets need to stop turning over the puck as much in the neutral zone and in their own zone. Granted most the time when they turned the puck over in the neutral zone we were just looking like Edmonton had a power play and we couldn't muster up any defense other than getting the puck after Edmonton shot the puck about 3 times so I guess turning it over in the neutral zone is a bit better :/....

Old
02-27-2012, 11:45 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
Because the only two options were behaving like it was the ballet and chanting "Oilers Suck".......................
Not entirely sure what you're getting at here, or why you'd choose the obvious hyperbole in my argument to make a counterpoint. It's a hockey game. Fans are behaving in a spontaneous and unrestrained fashion (the opposite of ballet or the opera), and it's playful banter directed at opposing fans. It's nothing disrespectful in my view, if you believe it is, then I suppose we will have to agree to disagree.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Tarks
True North

vCash: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Give your head a shake.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
I don't get it. "Oilers Suck", much like the "Leafs Suck" chants started since the away fans tried to start a "Let's Go Oilers" chant going. Of course people are going to take offense and respond in kind. You do not try to start opposing teams chants. You can go there and watch the game in peace and cheer for your team. The 4 people behind me were Oiler fans, and we had a good time. I turned around to high five after first goal(jokingly), they joked me when Oilers scored it was fun. But to start chanting antagonizing the home fans is across the line, you will get responses.

That being said, it was 1000% better than Leaf games. Leaf fans were flipping off the crowd, trying to get their chants going, verbally attacking Jet fans which was why Jet fans were understandably upset and lots of "Leafs Suck" chants came up, and why Leafs were booed so hard. Oilers fans were mostly good, so it was much better.

Even so, I have no idea why people are upset about this. It's fun, gets people into the game, makes the building an intimidating place. I'd much rather be hated for this, than made fun of being a building of suits like ACC. Screw the haters, we support our Jets all the way. Let people hate us, let them attack us.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

What? 'Team X Sucks' chants are fine. It's harmless. It's fun. It adds atmosphere. It's what passionate sports fans are supposed to do. It doesn't cross any lines. The kids love it, frankly. I'd wager our players get a chuckle out of it too. We pay good money to attend these games. Chant away and have fun.

Can't believe people are still arguing this.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarks View Post
Give your head a shake.
Why? Because I'm not embarrased by fans who engage in playful banter with opposing fans? The chant started out as a bit of a cat and mouse game (ie. "Let's Go Oilers!", "Oilers Suck!", "Let's Go Oilers!", "Oilers Suck!"), and eventually turned into a loud chant that drowned the Oilers chant out.

At any rate, I'm alot more interested in what happens on the ice than the picayune details of how our crowd behaves. Sorry I wasn't able to muster up enough embarassment...

Old
02-28-2012, 12:01 AM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

how is chanting that the opposing team sucks embarrassing?....not chanting it would be embarrassing....

hank, i agree with much of your assessment.....but i cant find the love for antropov....he is just a bad hockey player in my opinion....he's ok if he is scoring but when he is not, he contributes nothing....i really dont get having him kill penalties.

kane is one dimensional....i will be surprised if ever becomes much more than he is right now.

it is great to see burmistrov blossoming....he and bogosian will be our stars for years to come.....he was the only jet to show up tonight...everyone else mailed it in.

please miettinen, give willy lindstrom his number back and go back to the KHL....you are terrible.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:03 AM
sixty minute hockey

The Oilers suck chant was pretty funny it was definitely better than hearing "Go Oilers Go". Near the end of the game one Oiler fan kepty on saying "Go Oilers Go" So right after he said it I told him jokingly "right to the first pick of the draft"

Old
02-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Lux Aurumque*

The Jets have somehow managed to lose five games for a total of ten points to the bottom three teams in the league. To put that in perspective, if they had won the games against the Habs, Oilers and Blue Jackets, they would have 78 points, lead the Southeast by 8 points over Florida, be 2nd overall in the East, and 4th in the league. Gotta win these easy games!

Closed Thread