HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Nash Thread (all things Nash here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 11:56 PM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbklyn View Post
I'm not going to argue with you too much about what Howson did, I was really trying to comment mainly on my feelings about Nash. You may be right about the team suffering for it, but I'll wait and see about that, and frankly I am glad to know the actual sequence of events.
I'm not confident we'll ever know the full sequence of events. That is the nature of these situations.

Old
02-27-2012, 11:59 PM
hip check
Go North.

It all depends on how it was stated. If Nash said that he went to Howson to tell him to stop holding onto him at all costs, that if he could find a better deal for the team, then do it, it wouldn't have done anything to his trade value. Only would have shown to other teams that Nash is willing to go to them. Now if Nash would have come out and said wow I had no idea that this organization could sink this low, jut get me out of here or I'll half ass it the rest of my time here, then sure.
Willingness to be moved (even if initiated) doesn't diminish trade value. Putting the GM in a position where his only choice is to move him does. It would have all been in how Nash expressed himself. Which he ultimately only did by his agent coming out and trying to push a deal to happen while keeping the blame on Howson.
Am I saying Howson is right for outing Nash? No. It could have waited until after he was traded. Its all a very messy situation now. Seems like Howson was going to release this bit of information regardless of what happened at the trade deadline, so it makes me wonder what is really going on behind the scenes. My beef is with how many people defend Nash with everything. Blind love for Nash, blind hate for Howson I don't know what it is.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:04 AM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
My issue is Nash is going to be in the locker room. Does he really "bleed Columbus" as Wiz said yesterday? Did he quit on his team in January? Has he been faking it all this time - and for how long? Will he care enough to be a leader the rest of the way? If he tries, will he have any capital left to be that leader?

So many questions included in this can of worms.
What happens if Howson told him...

"Rick, you know that plan I sold you when you resigned about being a playoff contender year in and year out? Well, I couldn't pull it off, but I have a new plan that I think could work. We are going to pretty much start from scratch. We'll try to clear as much of the current team we have now. Most of your current troops are going to be sent packing because we couldn't get it to work. We may finish near last the next 3-4 years but hopefully we'll be back contending for a playoff spot towards the end of your current contract."

At that point, he knows that the majority of team-mates he's 'bled' with over the last few years are going to be jettisoned, if not at the deadline then in the summer. As a leader, he first talks to JMac to see if he really is going to trust Howson/Priest with this new plan even though they failed miserably at following through on the old plan. JMac says he's sticking with Howson for the rebuild.

At that point, I'd probably get the message that I was no longer really part of the plan regardless if they asked me about a possible trade or not. He probably wouldn't see it as quitting as 'his team' was going to be ransacked and sold off for new parts anyway. It's time to let a new leader emerge as part of the rebuild. So, he asks for a trade and agrees to keep quiet about his request so as to maximize the Jackets' return and make the split as amicable as possible.

Just a possibility - we don't know.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:08 AM
CapnCornelius

The Nash aspect is but an amusing footnote either way. While Howson has presented a version of the facts where Nash may be the villain, he's yet to present one where he is the hero.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:22 AM
Ar-too

vCash: 760
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
But we already have Howson as a zero. Can't go but up from here.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:24 AM
Zrinski

Leaf fan coming in peace. Just wanted to comment that towards the end of the last thread someone was worried guys like Franson/Percy wouldn't be on the table for Nash. I'd be disgusted if that was the case, Nash is a special talent and the Leafs would absolutely be willing to give those guys up to get him.

As I see it the only untouchables on defense are Gardiner/Phaneuf. We don't want to move Schenn but he's on the table if we're talking Nash. Kessel is really the only untouchable forward, though we'd probably be hesitant to move Lupul. Also it's likely the organization is only willing to move one of Kadri/Colbourne, but the acquisition of Ashton today might change that.

Honestly while I hope the Leafs can get him I don't think it'll happen. A team like Philly or Boston could have a playoff colapse and be willing to overpay. This whole process NY just seems willing to offer you a lot more. Kreider is a great prospect and sounds like he's on the table. Erixon is good, but I'd be worried about him if I were you guys. Given the way he handled Calgary I don't think I'd take a risk on him.

I can't imagine what you guys are going through with this whole situation. Howson publicly broadcasting Nash wanted out was a huge shock. I know everyone here wants him replaced, but is the feeling that'll actually happen?

Old
02-28-2012, 12:24 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
We know Nash did ask to be traded but really don't know why, the report about him requesting management to be replaced is just a rumor imo, but if he did do that I will say the dude has balls....

The best and most plausible reason in my opinion is that he finally came to the realization that this bungling organization might actually have a chance to give the fans a winning team if he was sacrificed... He knows he has value.

Nash does love the city, team and fans; he could have asked to be traded for us..

Old
02-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Pluckfur

I'm not breaking any news here, but I never liked Howson or Nash.

Karma is a wicked *****.

Old
02-28-2012, 03:24 AM
jore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Howson and Nash are polar opposites of maturity and professionalism.
Not quite. They've both been accused of taking nights off when they shouldn't, and their ability to lead the ship and set the example has been questioned over and over again

Old
02-28-2012, 04:31 AM
Keke Mortsons helmet

Columbus Talk on Prime Time Sports

Bob McCown, Damian Cox, John Shannon, Doug MacLean and Aaron Portzline spent a couple of segments discussing the Columbus situation on the Sportsnet talk show Prime Time Sports today. The host McCown is originally from Columbus and they got into some interesting stuff.

www.fan590.com/onair/primetimesports/jump ahead to the 18 minute mark

Your pal from British Columbia.

Last edited by Keke Mortsons helmet: 02-28-2012 at 05:33 AM. Reason: additional info
Old
02-28-2012, 04:52 AM
solomonsacct

Great stuff.

The motivation for coming out publicly, clearly, was to help Scott save face. Pretty transparent cynicism for a supposedly reserved genius.

Bottom line, everyone knows Nash is a good man and a great soldier for Columbus. We know him and we like him and we respect him. And even he wants out.

What a disaster.

Old
02-28-2012, 05:51 AM
EspenK

Do we really believe Howson is the real (only) villain here? On the one hand, we all seem to believe (or at least being led to believe) Priest is the puppeteer, Howson the puppet. Patrick is third man in.

I'd lump them all in the same boat. If anything I think this was a Priest led move. No way Howson was on his own, hence Patrick appearing with him.

Who can blame Nash for wanting out of this fiasco? Not me.

The problem, as always with the Jackets, was the execution.

Nash for limiting to 5 or 6 teams.

Having this become a very public thing too soon in the process.

"Howson" for trying to get this done at the trade deadline. Who in their right mind would expect a contender to break up a successful team to make a stretch drive? Asking for a couple of key roster players at this point of the season is very unlikely. Carter for Johnson I think was a special situation in that JJ for whatever reason was persona non gratis in LA and the Kings can't score.

"Howson" for agreeing to try to make the deal without fully explaining to Nash & Resnick that we'll trade but we're only going to do so if we get a king's ransom. Chances are slim that is going to happen so don't hold your breath.

Unknown is did they keep Team Nash in the loop? Explain why a deal wasn't being made? Who knows but I'm guessing maybe not.

Hopefully, some team (that doesn't win the Cup) on Nash's list will realize that they can fit Nash into their team/cap situation and this deal can get done before free agency.

Bottom line - FUBAR

MacClean just said (on the link provided above) that when he went to his last owner's meeting JP wasn't there he was on vacation. The group seemed to rake JP over the coals for being disinterested and clueless.

And the beat goes on

Last edited by EspenK: 02-28-2012 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Include comment about MacClean
Old
02-28-2012, 06:23 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

If I'm management this is what I do.

Go to Nash. Tell him we know this season is lost and we appreciate what he's done for the organization. Tell him we'd like the "C" back and have him just go out and play hockey in hopes of him rediscovering a bit more of his Power Forward Game and hopes that he raises a bit of his value that Howson unceremoniously destroyed yesterday. He's not going anywhere for at least another 3 months at the earliest, might as well do all we can to get some of that value back.

This guy can't be the captain if he's asked out, good intentions or not and eventhough I don't blame him, its still selfish. You keep the "C" vacant for this season (regardless of if anybody else asks for it and which should have been done the rest of the season after Foote left).

Old
02-28-2012, 06:26 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Whats interesting is that its been alluded to that Carter upset or "put off" some higher ups in the organization with his attitude about the city....

Who could he have offended that would have caused this mess to come to a head so quickly? Howson's the mouthpiece here, I'd suspect it was Priest....

Old
02-28-2012, 07:04 AM
OldGoaltender

I blame is on all parties here. Nash has been inconsistent in his play for years. Howson has brought in some talent to surround him, but Scott also rode the wrong horses like Mason also. This to me is so much like the LeBron situation.

We have this superstar that says the right thing but does he really mean it. If we base it solely on his play then the answer is no. I know you can't win it by yourself but Nash is the poster boy for entitlement. He wears the C and in no way has this been earned.

I guess I more pissed at Nash come to think about it. If he wanted out he shouldn't have limited Howson with a list of where he wanted to play, on more example of entitlement.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
We know Nash did ask to be traded but really don't know why, the report about him requesting management to be replaced is just a rumor imo, but if he did do that I will say the dude has balls....

The best and most plausible reason in my opinion is that he finally came to the realization that this bungling organization might actually have a chance to give the fans a winning team if he was sacrificed... He knows he has value.

Nash does love the city, team and fans; he could have asked to be traded for us..
I was thinking this same thing, Robert, when I read Howson's statement.

And, as I said in my post on the other thread, in my heart, whether Nash says it or not, he wanted out because of the continued ineptitude of our front office. He was promised five years ago that a winner was going to be built. Has Howson accomplished that? HELL NO! Not even remotely close.

In my book, Howson and Priest are to blame for Nash wanting out. He has no more trust left in the well for those two morons, just as we don't either. Why should he stay and leave his career in their incompetent hands.

When all of those season ticket holders bail on this team after this season, and it won't be a trickle it will be a flood, it won't be Rick Nash's fault, it will be JMac's fault for not having the sense to fix the real problem----the ****ing front office!

Like Bill Clinton once said, "IT'S THE FRONT OFFICE, STUPID!" or something like that.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:12 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoaltender View Post
I blame is on all parties here. Nash has been inconsistent in his play for years. Howson has brought in some talent to surround him, but Scott also rode the wrong horses like Mason also. This to me is so much like the LeBron situation.

We have this superstar that says the right thing but does he really mean it. If we base it solely on his play then the answer is no. I know you can't win it by yourself but Nash is the poster boy for entitlement. He wears the C and in no way has this been earned.

I guess I more pissed at Nash come to think about it. If he wanted out he shouldn't have limited Howson with a list of where he wanted to play, on more example of entitlement.
I applaud Nash for finally taking a stand and being assertive... too bad it came off the ice and against the club's own management....

The more I think about it, the more I'd love to have been a fly on the wall at the Jan 16th owership meeting.... sounds like there were juicy tidbits that may never come out...

Old
02-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Keke Mortsons helmet

You guys should save that link I provided above if you like hearing hockey/sports talk from Canada. Bob has had the top sports talk show in Canada for years and like I mentioned, he's one of your own so Columbus does come up from time to time.

Your B.C. pal.

Old
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I'm not confident we'll ever know the full sequence of events. That is the nature of these situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
The Nash aspect is but an amusing footnote either way. While Howson has presented a version of the facts where Nash may be the villain, he's yet to present one where he is the hero.
Two good posts. At best we get multiple "sides" of a story to pick and choose from - but thus far none of them currently makes the team look any better in the face on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoaltender View Post
I blame is on all parties here.
Exactly. If it wasn't embarrassing enough to be a CBJ fan, given the futility and whatever-else you want to beef about -- pretty much everything that has happened in the last 8-10 weeks has been a disaster WRT perception of the operation.

It's one thing to be bad or even incompetent. It's another to be a joke and an embarrassment.

Old
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I tell you what needs to happen here. JMac needs to get off of his a$$ and take charge of this total fiasco.

Fire Howson, reassign Priest somewhere in one of his companies (you know he won't just turn him loose), and give Nash his trade in the off season if he still wants out.

Hire a front office that knows what the **** it's doing, and in no uncertain terms let it be known that a winner must be built or there will be hell to pay.

He must take charge of this mess to show the fan-base that he means business. Anything else will not do.

If he doesn't then this team slides further into irrelevance.

That, or sell his stake to someone who will make the changes and demand success, or else.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:21 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
I tell you what needs to happen here. JMac needs to get off of his a$$ and take charge of this total fiasco.

Fire Howson, reassign Priest somewhere in one of his companies (you know he won't just turn him loose), and give Nash his trade in the off season if he still wants out.

Hire a front office that knows what the **** it's doing, and in no uncertain terms let it be known that a winner must be built or there will be hell to pay.

He must take charge of this mess to show the fan-base that he means business. Anything else will not do.

If he doesn't then this team slides further into irrelevance.

That, or sell his stake to someone who will make the changes and demand success, or else.
Nash has to lose the C right away.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:39 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Agreed, give it to Vinny.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:56 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Nice job by Puck Daddy, as usual.

Quote:
"It's the right thing to do. It's the truthful thing to do," said Howson of the revelation.

It was also the deliciously spiteful thing to do.
Quote:
Between now and then … this will get ugly.

The fans that held "Please Don't Go Rick" signs at Columbus games now understand it was their captain that abandoned ship. The player that thought his liberation was a few phone calls away is now stuck in hockey limbo until the summer, his list of teams likely dwindled — unless his demands have changed; how about "I'll go to Nashville as long as Scott Howson is turfed, Mr. O'Connell"?

For the GM, it's a moment saturated in honesty, frustration, spite, fortitude and doom. Nash forced his hand; he responded with middle fingers raised.

It may not be the best thing for the GM, the player, the team, the fans or the trade market — but here's to someone in professional sports allowing their aggravation to manifest in "the truthful thing to do."
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-26433

Yes, I do realize he got the owner's name wrong.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Dirtydownshift

FWIW...from another thread, another vote for issues starting with Priest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanM* View Post
I went to UWO. I know Nash, but not a personal friend, however I am friends with his friends. Here is the real story...

When you have an elite hockey mind like Ken Hitchcock wanting out, it's obvious that he knew he was dealing with a complete box of tools. That is the problem when the president that is hired (priest) is a family friend, and not a qualified hockey professional executive.

The management team does not have proper experience and it shows. Ken could not even work with these people and wanted out.

Rick Nash requested a trade in private, he did not make a spectacle about it, and this also helped Howson not get low balled. However, when Nash and his agent saw that Howson was trying to be ridiculous in the return for Nash, trying to make up for the Carter debacle, they grew tired.

Nash gave a decade to Columbus and a lot of broken promises were made. This is why you have contracts. Words mean nothing. Ask a certain SJ player last year getting traded the next day after signing a contract to stay home. Ask Richards and Carter being promised they'd stay for good.

Rick Nash has spent half his career in Columbus and now it's time for him to move on. If you want to quit your job to move to a better position to reach some personal goals, you should not feel bad about it.

The fact that Howson tried to make Nash look like the bad guy, and play victim is pathetic.

Rick Nash would love to win a stanley cup. He can wait a few years, but not in Columbus with that management.

The off season will be interesting.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
I don't know how he can keep it on himself, and I don't know how the org. as a whole can let him keep wearing it. Truly baffling.

Closed Thread